** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Ashes - In play/Discussion thread

Primevil

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Ashes - In play/Discussion thread Almost Lunch on day1, 2nd Test, Most definitely Australia's morning, This is a 400 wicket IMO..So Bell n Trott have some work to do, They really need to get to 160 by Tea without losing another wicket, Then it will start to become back to level...At the moment Australia should be FAV...However these two can bat along time on this type of wicket....Lunch score...79-3

Re: Ashes - In play/Discussion thread Great inns by BELL another Century, anchor man Again!, Hopefully Bairstow can follow up... I still think its a 400 wicket, At this moment 262-4...........Just tilting back in Englands fav......BTW her Majesty, Studied DRS...and said ROOT hit the ball first..TRUE...:eek

Re: Ashes - In play/Discussion thread

England are massive favourites even if they collapse to 300 all out. Wicket is turning already. Will be unplayable in the last innings.
Im deep on England m8...but my glass is always half empty in the game of Cricket.

Re: Ashes - In play/Discussion thread

Im deep on England m8...but my glass is always half empty in the game of Cricket.
It needn't be. The way it is going and the temps forecasted this thing will be a dust bowl by Sunday and you only have to look at Australia's series in India to know how they get on on them!

Re: Ashes - In play/Discussion thread Id be happy with 325...The reason I say 400...Because that would be a winning score,,,even at this stage, Id say Australia will bat well enough to get 250+,,but a major advantage is bowling last I agree with that.:ok

Re: Ashes - In play/Discussion thread 361 all out England...which is 50 above the average....42-1...Australia at Lunch...You can see this pitch starting to go...and for me Australia will be lucky to get within a 100 of England...Whatever happens I expect England to be batting again by Lunch tomorrow, or there abouts...This game is Englands to win or draw...AUSTRALIA HAVE NO CHANCE OF WINNING THIS...I have laid Australia to a lot..at 3.8...England at 2.26 does stand out...its either that or the draw....NO OTHER RESULT..

Re: Ashes - In play/Discussion thread Id like to take credit for this....However a better wordsmith than me says!.......A mixture of mystification and misery among the Australian spectators at HQ at this remarkable rattle of wickets. Six have now gone for less than 50 runs, a tragi-comic combination of dismal reviews, woeful shots and appalling decision-making. This remains an excellent track to bat on - there has been nothing so far for the pace bowlers, and while Graeme Swann is finding turn, Australia have been the architects of their own MCC mausoleum."

Re: Ashes - In play/Discussion thread The bookies..are all getting the money ready to pay out...Fortunes won on this game by the sensible ones....Thank you bookies:nana....1.12...England...That s free bloody money...10 the draw..the only possibility....still dreaming....and for the world record win in the history of lords..70 Australia...even Rodney Marsh wouldn't take them odds...And you know why England will bat till Lunch..and make it 600 plus....so the ECB have a chance of not paying a 5th day money back..:ok

Re: Ashes - In play/Discussion thread Can somebody explain the decision to not enforce the follow-on? You only have to win by one run to win the match, so surely the most efficient way for England to do that is to bowl Australia out for a second time and then set about reaching the necessary target? If you bat first in the second innings like England chose to do then you may be wasting valuable bowling time by setting a target way beyond what is needed to secure the win. What am I missing here?

Not enforcing the follow on was a no brainer, there was so much time left in the game.The first objection of England was to make sure they couldn't lose the match and by not enforcing the follow they nearly achieved that.So let's say England enforce the follow on and The Aussies bat again and scored 450, this would leave England chasing 219 on a wearing day 5 pitch which could have proved quite difficult.There is quite a number of reasons why England went that way but the fact is with so much time left in the match there was so many more pros than cons by doing it that way. Sent from my HTC Desire using PL Forum

Just google the India vs Australia test in the early 2000s to show why we didn't enforce the follow on. Captains rarely do these days anyway but as BB says with so much time left in the game we should shut them out then bowl them out like we have. Generally in dry conditions you never want to be batting last.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: The Ashes WHOEVER wins toss will bat...I'm confident on that...I don't see England drifting if any m8...It's a win win situation for England in my book...if AUS bat, the pressure they will be under will be immense..and England for me will be batting or almost batting by 5pm...IF England bat, they will still be batting tomorrow...take the price is my advice..