** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Can you win without inside knowledge

Planetoid scooted home today in the 4.20 at Newton Abbott. He started at odds on in an 11 runner handicap hurdle. I know it was a low grade race but his form figures going into the race was 000F00. He is trained by John Best and I was amazed before the race at his price albeit with McCoy on board. He was 10th of 11 at 100/1 on his last run, 7th of 8 before that and so on back through his form. Then suddenly he is odds on in an 11 runner handicap and hoses in. Anyone studying the form would lay him all day at that price and get their fingers burnt. Does anyone know if there was an inquiry into his win and the betting. He obviously wasn't running to his true ability in all his other races. A form punter has no chance with this carry on.

Re: Can you win without inside knowledge According to the Post......."Unsurprisingly the stewards interviewed the trainer who stated that the gelding had problems with his jumping last year and has been given a break in order to re-school him over hurdles. He further added that the gelding was suited by this quicker ground and running for the first time in a handicap" The horse was really well handicapped on his flat form...............effectively running off the same rating as his AW mark People usually reckon there's a 40lb difference in jumps and flat marks, so you could say he was 40lb well in on his flat form

Re: Can you win without inside knowledge Recently, I have heard Hugh Taylor, Graham Cunningham and Tom Segal all openly discussing their alarm if their horse is a negative in the betting market. Apparently, it's just all part of the game now... And yes, you're right - in this sort of instance the form punter stands no chance. I laid one on the sand a few months back, said similar to you and was told to stop moaning!!! I don't lay anything that is particularly positive in the market anymore and am slowly but surely adjusting everything I do to focus on the better class racing... Not exclusivly, but certainly a larger percentage than was once the case. Bookmakers make more mistakes in hcaps but reading the form correctly and only betting when the price is right is only half the battle nowadays :eyes If I was a newbie Punter and experienced something like this, I don't feel I would give the game a second look which is sad and worrying.

Re: Can you win without inside knowledge Ironic that he jumps better when the money is down. And of course he has slipped way down the handicap since he had been running with the handbrake on. The point of the post though is that those on the inside knew he would perform today. He he was odds on long before the race. I have never seen in my many years punting a horse tailed off at 100/1 and 50/1 in his last two runs and then start odds on in his first handicap. My nose told me to leave that race alone. The first thing most punters look at first is the 6 numbers before a horses name. This smacks of a Curleyesque stroke. Run him down the field a few times, then get the best jockey on board and get the money down.

Re: Can you win without inside knowledge Can you win without inside knowledge..mmm Yes, but every blind squirral finds the occasional nut. We are blind squirrals I guess, but one or two decent judges on here, are blind in one eye, and struggling with the other.

Re: Can you win without inside knowledge Jim Best not to be confused with Jon Best, the former makes Alan Carr look straight I agree with what The Saint said gone are the days I would even bother with most of the day to day dross form study is nearly worthless and the system is set up so bookies and trainers (associates of all kinds) can fleece punters desperate for a bet out of their money. one of the saddest parts for me is look who stepped in on what was surely a premeditated part of the plot, a man who's been giving JP plots quietly quietly rides all winter plots will always be landed and in tough times I actually wouldn't begrudge trainers and connections landing touches they keep the show on the road but there's been so much recently it's hard to look at the game as little more than a staged farce, will the last one out turn off the lights?!

Re: Can you win without inside knowledge

the question I want to know is why did it open at such a low price?I mean it wasnt 20-1 or anything?.Think it was 5-4?
The vibes im getting, altho did not follow was slowly slowly all day being nibbled, and 1/2 hour before the JC was called, it nose dived..

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Can you win without inside knowledge AP replaces an apprentice again in a broken down car and scoots home to win. This time on Connellie at Ffos Las. Its one of the oldest scams in the book but wasn't there a rule that if an apprentice was booked and couldn't ride for whatever reason, he or she could only be replaced by a similar jockey, ie another apprentice. Certainly not a champion. Or perhaps there should be such a rule. Your thoughts please.

Re: Can you win without inside knowledge Of course you can win without inside knowledge. If you're aware of this type of scam you should be getting on instead of moaning about it surely?

Re: Can you win without inside knowledge No moaning here as I laid the short priced fav in the race for a nice sum. Was glad to see McCoy come to save the day. Still think that an apprentice shouldn't be replaced by a top pro. Its bad for the integrity of racing. The stewards should only allow another apprentice on board or scratch the horse if none is available.