England > Antepost > Conference Premier League 2013/2014

Re: England > Antepost > Conference Premier League 2013/2014 Handicap preview: 1pt ew Gateshead (+24) to win The Skrill Premier 18/1 Betfred (1/4 1-4) The team who I do like the look of though are Gateshead. Gateshead have made some good summer signings and I think they’ll be pushing for the playoffs this season, certainly in the top half. They get a 24pt start from Forest Green which looks too big but when you consider Macclesfield, who are expected to struggle much more this season, get the same start then the Gateshead one looks a bit big. Gateshead’s start is only three points less than Halifax who will be spending the season consolidating so Heed’s start looks a little out of line with the rest of the division. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/the-skrill-premier-betting-gateshead-look-the-pick-of-betfred-s-handicap-market

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: England > Antepost > Conference Premier League 2013/2014 Just a few words about Wrexham. Sorry for the delay but things have been a bit frantic at home and work. Unlike Luton, who have been getting further and further away each season, we have been getting closer and closer (the statutory kevshat dig by bb comment!). Each season, however, the squad appears to be weaker than the previous season and the causes a slight concern as we approach the first match day. The suqad from last season has lost some big players, with Riley returning to Mansfield and Danny Wright following the money to FGR, to fight for a place with ten other strikers. Even though Wright was our top scorer the bigger loss is Riley, who was class in defence. Surprisingly the manager also released player of the season Chris Westwood, his centre back partner, supposedly because of financial reasons to stay within his budget. The decent signing we have made (in fact one of only two signings!) is Andy Bishop from Bury, who is a decent striker at this level. We have also taken a young lad called Bailey-Jones, a tricky winger who, with Cieslewicz, means we may finally have a plan B of 4-4-2 if 4-3-3 doesn't work. We have trialled a couple of defenders because, at present, we probably have only one fit first choice centre back, as Mark Creighton, having missed last season with a ligament injury, has a minor calf strain to get over. On the positives, however, despite some of his antics we have the asset of Mayebi back between the sticks (although Chris Maxwell ws a cracking replacement and Cambridge have got a decent keeper for the first half of the season). Having seen plenty of other keepers in this league he is by far the best keeper at commanding his box and is never afraid to come for a cross...something that other keepers struggle with. Our defence plays well with him behind them and, once Creighton is fit again, we probably just need one signing (CB or RB) to be as good as last season definsively. Midfield...somply the best in the division bar none. Keates is out injured at the moment but may struggle to get back in when fit. Harris, Thornton, Clarke, Hunt and Evans, if I ignore our two wingers, is perm any three from five. Most of you reading this will know of at least three of those but I reckon few of you will have heard of Rob Evans. Trust me, he is going to be something special and possibly even this season. In pre-season he has played holding midfielder and creative midfielder and taken to each role as if a natural. One to watch. Forwards? Well, Bishop replaces Wright but we are probably still light and need one more in. I don't want to see Mozza pull on the boots unless desperate times arrive and every forward is injured. I am still hopeful of Ogleby coming good as his early promise at the start of last season was ruined by playing on with an injury, hopefully now sorted by a closed season operation. Last season we probably had a squad weaker than the one before, but we won a cup and, if Ormerod had stuck his golden chance in the second half away in the play off final I have little doubt we would have gone up. The only way I ever back us antepost is in the head to head with Luton and Kevshat but, with the core of last season's successful squad still together, I certainly expect us to be top 5.