** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

England > Antepost > Conference Premier League 2013/2014

Re: England > Antepost > Conference Premier League 2013/2014 Aldershot's deadline has been extended until midweek, with the worrying statement from the administrators (quoted by BBCSurreySport's twitter feed): "Been a few twists and turns, but it isnt dead yet". Tweets since then sound a bit more reassuring.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: England > Antepost > Conference Premier League 2013/2014

Seems like Thurrock has lost their appeal.
Horrible and unjust news if confirmed, though on the cards when the appeals were bumped so late into pre-season. But silver linings and all that - good news for Sittingbourne and Carshalton.

Re: England > Antepost > Conference Premier League 2013/2014 Thurrock heading to the European Court of Arbitration for Sport. Can't really blame them if the evidence they put forward is as convincing as it sounds (though unless you've actually viewed it, that can't be confirmed), but what was a two-team issue now affects over 70 teams.

Thurrock heading to the European Court of Arbitration for Sport. Can't really blame them if the evidence they put forward is as convincing as it sounds (though unless you've actually viewed it' date=' that can't be confirmed), but what was a two-team issue now affects over 70 teams.[/quote'] Have to say it is all a bit selfish in my view. Time to accept the result and move on. The chairman has said he plans to take an injunction out to stop the start of the season.

Have to say it is all a bit selfish in my view. Time to accept the result and move on. The chairman has said he plans to take an injunction out to stop the start of the season.
I'll probably agree with you in a week or so when I start to think of the first-week fixtures. But at the moment, the reasoned part of me says I wish the evidence that Thurrock say is so watertight was put in the public domain, then we could all decide whether they should fight on - in defiance of the constitution of the association they are signed up to. And the football fan in me hopes Thurrock do what they can to put a spanner in the Ryman works.

Re: England > Antepost > Conference Premier League 2013/2014 Still no word on Aldershot's survival. The fans have raised around £60,000, which is a fine effort in the circumstances, but there are reports of one or two stumbling blocks to a deal - I assume this must be with a creditors who still aren't budging. The squad is on the training ground, though they are not in a situation to sign anyone yet.

Re: England > Antepost > Conference Premier League 2013/2014 We have signed Andy Bishop on a two year deal from Bury. A direct replacement for Danny Wright and he has already played in the system, having been on loan with us last season, when he scored 2 in 4 games. I saw him in three of those games and am happy with the signing. Certainly decent at our level. Hopefully the international clearance won't take 5 or six f'ing weeks this time! I will do an full preview for you nay-sayers writing Wrexham off nearer the time!

Seems like Aldershot have been saved. A statement is due later.
The figure for the donations is now at 68k. Given the shortfall was 50k last week that should be job done, but it isn't. So what has caused the delay? It could be that the financial hole that needs filling is even greater or that the consortium isn't quite as flush as they sound, but there seems reasonably solid information that the issue is not related to funding as it stands. That could mean a host of things - perhaps a creditor who agrees to the financial terms but wants some further involvement. Worst case, it could mean that the administrators are having a job persuading the Conference that their revised CVA terms are acceptable under the rules. I can see where the Conference might be coming from on this. Aldershot signed up at the AGM to a 100% repayment of the debt over time; the club are now saying that creditors have accepted a restructured deal, so what they are paying them is '100% of the new terms they have agreed to', rather than a '100% of the terms agreed with the Conference at the AGM'. Farnborough, meanwhile, are seeking compensation from Aldershot to the tune of 7k because Aldershot are sending the youth team for a friendly next week, while the first team head to Staines Town on the same night (the first team is five players currently). Farnbrough manager Spencer Day, of course, has plenty of previous with Aldershot, and it does seem absurd for him to be complaining about this. Still, should make for a feisty derby in the Southern Prem in 2014-1015.

Re: England > Antepost > Conference Premier League 2013/2014 Agreement in principle reached between the administrators and the consortium at Aldershot, and the club say it should be officially signed today. Then it just needs the Conference to sign it off. The final tranche of donations from fans were necessary, they say, to help settle with creditors and provide working capital, so it remains to be seen what sort of budget they have to play with. I'd guess there will be a core squad of full-time pros supplemented by loanees and academy players.

Re: England > Antepost > Conference Premier League 2013/2014 Cambridge Utd's Richard Money continues the rebuild of the team by adding keeper Chris Maxwell on loan until January. He was excellent for us on loan last season and is certainly one of the best in the division. Cambridge are likely to show considerable improvement this season.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: England > Antepost > Conference Premier League 2013/2014 So Skrill are the new sponsors (essentially a rival to PayPal for those who like me had not heard of them before) of the Conference and the best news of all is that BT Sport are showing 30 games from the league this season. As usual Luton are at the head of the market, but this year they have been joined by the big spending Forest Green Rovers. Along with title winners Mansfield they were the two teams I put up at the start of the season and both have obvious chances again this season. John Still became manager of Luton towards the end of last season after Paul Buckle had left. Luton are in desperate need of some stability as they seem to change manager every season once they fail to win the title. I think Still is the man to do just that and he has totally re-built the side from the one Buckle had at the start of last season. The potential is there for them to go close and I think they will hit the play-offs at the very least, the problem I have though is that this maybe a two year project and I just wonder if they might get off to a slow start, although as Mansfield and Kidderminster proved last term that is no barrier to finishing in the top 2. What it does mean though is the price as it stands is a little short for me and I am prepared to risk them drifting out and then backing them as the team start to gel. Forest Green should have reached the play-offs last season, but seemed to have a real problem scoring goals towards the end of the season despite the fact they had quite a few strikers at the club. They have shed a few of them and signed Danny Wright from Wrexham and Andy Mangan (was the league’s top goal scorer when with the club before) has returned. I like both signings and for me they have the best team in the league. The problem I have always had though is the manager David Hockaday as I am not a fan and I don’t think he was able to get the best out of his team last season. I am a little surprised he is getting another go, but I suspect if things aren’t going quite right this time around then a change will be made. Chances are they may still be capable of winning the league despite the boss (something I felt happened at Fleetwood) and given they have the best squad in the league I have to back them. Kidderminster, Grimsby and Wrexham were last season’s play-off losers and will all be hoping to get promotion this season. I can’t help feel Kidderminster may have missed their best chance of promotion last season. Steve Burr is probably the best manager in the league and that is a big plus, but they don’t have much money to strengthen and that hinders them, so it is the play-offs at best for me. Grimsby didn’t impress me much last season when I saw them and they dropped away after reaching the FA Trophy Final. Out of the three I rate their chances the best as they look to have a solid squad, but I still am not sure they have the improvement in them to go and win the league. Wrexham proved me wrong last season as they had another cracking season, but I am writing off their chances again. Another team with not that much money to spend and that has meant they have struggled to get players in over the summer. I think they might miss out on the play-offs this season. I find it crazy that Chester are in single figures with some bookies. Apparently they were put up by a tipping line which led to the price contracting. I don’t fancy them at all, in fact I think it is worth backing them to finish in the bottom half at 11/4 with BetVictor. I feel they were massively flattered by winning the North last season as Halifax had so many games called off due to the weather and a good FA Trophy run. Chester have had a big turnover in players as well and I haven’t been overly impressed with who they have signed. The club seem happy to finish in mid-table and know how hard it will be so I am happy to take a chance the finish in the bottom half. I certainly can’t have them anywhere near to winning the league and are stinking value. For what it’s worth I actually think Halifax will finish above them this term as they have recruited really well. Barnet have to be given a mention given Edgar Davids is in charge. They have a new ground and will no doubt be hoping for a good season. I can see them doing well and might be capable of sneaking into the play-offs, but Davids lack of knowledge as regards to non-league won’t help although England C manager Paul Fairclough will be around to help him. The other team I think can go well is Cambridge United. Richard Money joined during the season and I get the feeling he has now removed the players he didn’t wont and has made some decent signings. I think they have the potential to jump up from mid-table into promotion challengers after having a few tough seasons where they haven’t challenged. 12/1 is available with Ladbrokes, BetVictor and Boylesports and that is worth an each-way investment. The relegation betting is interesting as Skybet seem to have made a couple of teams bigger than they should be. Aldershot look booked for one of the bottom 4 spots given they are starting the season with a 10 point deduction. Two of the teams that I think will join them are Nuneaton and Tamworth. Nuneaton’s superb home form meant they just survived last term, but they will do well to repeat that feat and with the squad looking no stronger, the 5/2 with Skybet (only 5/4 with BetVictor) looks well worth taking. BetVictor are also only 5/4 about Tamworth whereas Skybet are 3/1. Tamworth are a side who have been struggling near the bottom for a few season’s now and without Adam Cunnington’s goals I get the feeling this season is the season that sees them head back to the Skrill North.

Re: England > Antepost > Conference Premier League 2013/2014 Wokings pre season should not go unnoticed, won at home to Bournemouth 2-1 the day before bournemouth faced Real Madrid, so not sure about the level of opposition but its still a scalp and then thy beat Gillingham 1st X1 last saturday 3-0. I may pop down there on Friday night to see them face QPR's EDS team who will be a fair test although 2 or 3 of the EDS team may be in the squad to face Sheff weds on Saturday Woking could surprise a few this season and i may take a look at some decent match prices during the season especially when the pitch cuts up !! Although they re-laid it over the pre season, the rain gets into the ground and i assume Hayes are sharing again this year?

Wokings pre season should not go unnoticed, won at home to Bournemouth 2-1 the day before bournemouth faced Real Madrid, so not sure about the level of opposition but its still a scalp and then thy beat Gillingham 1st X1 last saturday 3-0. I may pop down there on Friday night to see them face QPR's EDS team who will be a fair test although 2 or 3 of the EDS team may be in the squad to face Sheff weds on Saturday Woking could surprise a few this season and i may take a look at some decent match prices during the season especially when the pitch cuts up !! Although they re-laid it over the pre season, the rain gets into the ground and i assume Hayes are sharing again this year?
They are although they say the ground will be ready at some point this season so it may only be for part of it.

John Still became manager of Luton towards the end of last season after Paul Buckle had left. Luton are in desperate need of some stability as they seem to change manager every season once they fail to win the title. I think Still is the man to do just that and he has totally re-built the side from the one Buckle had at the start of last season. The potential is there for them to go close and I think they will hit the play-offs at the very least' date= the problem I have though is that this maybe a two year project and I just wonder if they might get off to a slow start, although as Mansfield and Kidderminster proved last term that is no barrier to finishing in the top 2. What it does mean though is the price as it stands is a little short for me and I am prepared to risk them drifting out and then backing them as the team start to gel.
I'm not sure gelling will be a problem. I'm not convinced he's completely re-built us either. Seven of the side I would expect to line up at Southport on the 10th were here when Still took over (6 if you go with Lacey being out on loan) and one of the three who wasn't here when he took over is Scott Griffiths who finished the season with us. In terms of new players I would expect only 3 to start at Southport and they are Guttridge, Cullen and Whalley, three who have the potential to be stars of the season in the division so I'm not sure we'll be that slow off the mark, or if we are it is because we have a tough first 12 games, not through not gelling or anything though. You're spot on about the price though. It's still a point or so too short.

I'm not sure gelling will be a problem. I'm not convinced he's completely re-built us either. Seven of the side I would expect to line up at Southport on the 10th were here when Still took over (6 if you go with Lacey being out on loan) and one of the three who wasn't here when he took over is Scott Griffiths who finished the season with us. In terms of new players I would expect only 3 to start at Southport and they are Guttridge, Cullen and Whalley, three who have the potential to be stars of the season in the division so I'm not sure we'll be that slow off the mark, or if we are it is because we have a tough first 12 games, not through not gelling or anything though. You're spot on about the price though. It's still a point or so too short.
I thought he had a bit more of a clear out than that, although I guess a lot of players he has got rid off weren't players he was using. Do you think Andre will start the season with you? Squad wise FGR are better, but you have the better manager which might turn out to be enough over the course of a season. So if that drift happens for whatever reason I will be tempted.

I thought he had a bit more of a clear out than that, although I guess a lot of players he has got rid off weren't players he was using. Do you think Andre will start the season with you? Squad wise FGR are better, but you have the better manager which might turn out to be enough over the course of a season. So if that drift happens for whatever reason I will be tempted.
I think his clear out shows two things - 1) the ridiculous size of the squad Paul Buckle was allowed to build and 2) the level of pap he signed overall. He did find a couple of diamonds in among the dirt in Dave Martin, Steve McNulty, Ronnie Henry and Jon Shaw but there was a lot he signed like Rowe-Turner, Neilson, Rendell, Mendy etc etc who weren't cutting it. I think Andre will be here to begin with. I'm not convinced he's an automatic starter if we use the same formation we've used at the end of last season and in pre-season though.

Re: England > Antepost > Conference Premier League 2013/2014 I see the Racing Post have tipped Cambridge to win the league and Barnet to get promoted. Also tipped Mark Cullen to be the top scorer in the division along with Harry Crawford. Cullen is a bet I like having seen him myself now. Very clever player for this level.

Re: England > Antepost > Conference Premier League 2013/2014 A belated thank you to Addpea and Ships for the info on Halifax. One other little Halifax titbit is that Neil Aspin requested immediately promotion was won that the pitch be narrowed, i´m not sure of the dimensions now but it´s obviously going to be tighter.

Re: England > Antepost > Conference Premier League 2013/2014 Finally, deal done at Aldershot and they can look forward to starting the season. They've negotiated to host some Chelsea academy and reserve games, which they're banking on to produce some extra revenue, and it's not stated whether they are staying full-time, but I think that's a given until they say otherwise. The key thing now is to sign some players up - a pretty frantic couple of days, with only Sutton United away on Sat and Kingstonian away on Monday before the trip to Grimsby.

Re: England > Antepost > Conference Premier League 2013/2014 Aldershot are budgeting for a full-time squad next season and if the quoted figures are true, the Chelsea deal is indeed a shrewd one for the club with the extra revenue it will generate - it certainly gives them a fighting chance of overcoming the -10. But they are not yet in a position to offer contracts - I'n guessing that's just clerical stuff to overcome. They've also lost Craig Reid from the existing squad to Southend.

Re: England > Antepost > Conference Premier League 2013/2014 went to Woking v QPR EDS team tonight which ended 2-2, a good run out for Woking against a fair QPR team which fielded Max Ehmer at Centre half who may break into the 1st team at some point. Woking 2-1 up at the break thanks to a free kick and penalty. From what i saw Woking will definitely get results this season against any opposition and i think its how they fare with injuries as to how they do> Goals may be their problem with frontman Sole only just returning after a season long injury. McCallum looks a good buy and will score a few from set pieces A decent turn out also at around 950 attendance. Positives for QPR were Ehmer at Centre half, Sutherland in midfield and Hitchcock up front. All 3 may break into Harry's squad this season if there are any injuries to key players. Apparently Adel Taraabt was there watching but i didnt see him. Dave Beasant was there to see his son Sam come on as sub 2nd half for Woking.

Re: England > Antepost > Conference Premier League 2013/2014 Title preview: 2pts ew Kidderminster to win The Skrill Premier 8/1 BetVictor (1/4 1-3) 2pts Luton to win The Skrill Premier 9/2 Betfred Luton have been the favourites in this division for each of the five years they have been at this level and each time they have got further away from winning the competition. Last season they were so bad that they could only finish seventh. One glimmer of hope from last season was the hiring of John Still as manager. He has got three teams out of this division and knows how it is done. Still has wasted no time reshaping his squad and he now has a very good squad at his disposal with some big players in Luke Guttridge, Shaun Whalley, Mark Cullen and Andre Gray. Defensively Luton look at lot better and a lot more organised and I would expect them to be the closest they’ve been to winning this thing so far. Kidderminster must have a chance of winning the title this year. They chased Mansfield all the way last season despite not picking up a point in their first 5 matches last season. They can’t start that badly again you wouldn’t think and while they probably won’t finish in the same style they did last season there’s no reason to suggest their season as a whole won’t be better than last year. The permanent signing of Michael Gash is a good one as are summer recruits of Lee Fowler and Jamie Tolley and with the experience and quality of Steve Burr at the helm Kidderminster may well be Luton’s biggest dangers. Kidderminster look the best value in the division to me but it is worth a saver on Luton, who should go well too. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/the-skrill-premier-betting-luton-should-go-well-but-kidderminster-are-the-clear-value-for-the-title

Re: England > Antepost > Conference Premier League 2013/2014 Interesting stuff. I do think I may have been a little harsh on Luton in my preview but still have my doubts about the price at this stage. As for FGR I think Hockaday will be out of a job if they start to under-perform. Vince wants promotion this year in my view.

Re: England > Antepost > Conference Premier League 2013/2014 Yeah the price is open to opinion for sure. I think it is a fair enough price for a saver or for use in a multiple. Bottom four finish preview: 3pts Southport to finish in the bottom four 9/4 BetVictor One side who are a nice price to go down are Southport, and I think they will. Southport have done really well to survive two seasons at this level. Indeed in their first stint in it they almost made the playoffs but key player sales have slowly hurt and they have lost a lot of quality in this close season. Player of the season Shaun Whalley has joined Luton, as has Andy Parry while Sean Clancy has followed Liam Watson to Telford. Watson was pivotal to Southport’s achievements in recent seasons and the inexperienced Alan Wright has big shoes to fill. Even if he coaches in the same manner I’m not convinced the players they’ve lost have been or can be replaced so I think it will be third time unlucky for Southport. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/the-skrill-premier-betting-southport-have-a-tough-task-on-their-hands-to-stay-up

Re: England > Antepost > Conference Premier League 2013/2014 Top scorer preview: 1pt ew A.Boyes Top Goalscorer 33/1 Betfred (1/4 1-4) 1pt ew M.Cullen Top Goalscorer 33/1 Coral (1/4 1-4) A couple of players at bigger prices are Adam Boyes and Mark Cullen and I like both. Adam Boyes is player I’ve been a big fan of at Barrow for a while. He’s left there now and joined Gateshead and that could well be a good move for both parties. Boyes scored a lot of goals at Barrow and with Gateshead’s footballing style I think he’ll get even more chances here. At 33/1 he looks a big price considering he was a major player for a long part two years ago. When Luton signed Mark Cullen I was wondering what they had signed. On the face of it he didn’t set the world alight at Stockport in his loan spell last season but having seen him in a Luton shirt now I know exactly why John Still put the effort in he did to convince his man to drop from Hull City to the Skrill Premier. Cullen’s runs are very clever and he’ll often arrive in the box late and unmarked. As a finisher he is very good and off the back of four goals in pre-season he goes into the season full of confidence. John Still speaks very highly of Cullen and there’s a glint in his eye when he speaks of him so you know he likes what he has and that’s good enough for me. He shouldn’t be the biggest price of Luton’s three strikers and represents excellent value at 33/1. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/the-skrill-premier-betting-mark-cullen-can-score-the-goals-to-lead-luton-s-title-charge