** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

The "All Green" Grand National 2014

Re: The "All Green" Grand National 2014 To recap, the aim of this thread is to have an "All Green" book by Grand National day. I've put links to previous year's threads if any newcomers want to get a feel for what I am trying to do :ok

Re: The "All Green" Grand National 2014 BACK - Sunnyhillboy £10 @ 90.99 Back down to a mark of 142, which is the same as when he finished a nose 2nd to Neptune Collonges last year. Struggled this year off a 10lb higher mark and an unsatisfactory prep. If O'Neill can place him well next season and all goes to plan he should come back with a decent chance. I'll be surprised if this isnt tradeable at some point. BACK - Our Mick - £12 @ 137.1 I remember him being nominated as a future National horse by McCain in his stable tour last year but was considered too young. At 8 years old next year, he may get an entry, especially with Ballabriggs recent retirement, leaving a vacancy in the yard for a Grand National challenger. Intentions appear to have been signalled with an entry in the Scottish National on Saturday, so a decent show there would instill more confidence.

Re: The "All Green" Grand National 2014 Good luck once again with this AK! :ok Really enjoy reading this over the winter months of the NH season and always helps me narrow down my selections for the National! One of the best threads on the forum!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Re: The "All Green" Grand National 2014 With the NH season underway i’ve had a few bets to get this thread going again. In summary: BACK - Away We Go - £3 @ 266.7 Willie Mullins trained, 2nd in Irish National, 3rd in Bet365 Gold Cup so has performed well in decent Grand National trials. Rated 141, which seems fair and would get him into the race. Sidelined by injury at the moment but is due out in the second half of the year so his rating shouldn’t move too much before the weights come out in February. In his recent stable tour, Willie Mullins implied that he would be aimed at either the Irish National again, or get an entry for Aintree. Fingers crossed it's the latter. BACK – Long Run - £5 @ 32.0 I used to back Denman for the Grand National, thinking he would get an entry one day but it never materialised. Similar thinking behind this one however I think this is more likely to happen. The Waley-Cohen’s love the race and have hinted at an entry for Long Run before. He is starting to show signs that he may not be as competitive as he once was at the top level and this may be a realistic option for him. 31/1 will collapse if he is entered. Would play havoc with the handicap though! BACK – Liberty Counsel - £2 @ 120.0 Not convinced this one is good enough to win at Aintree however she is the Irish National winner. They have historically started at less than 25/1 on the day of the race and connections have hinted at an Aintree entry so this price could be tradeable. BACK – Monbeg Dude - £6 @ 62.5 Welsh National winner and 3rd in the Grand National trial at Haydock. Made a good reappearance over hurdles this season and runs tomorrow at Cheltenham in a decent looking trial. I wanted to get on in case of a good run. BACK – Organisedconfusion - £2 @ 90.0 Another Irish National winner and was all set to run at Aintree last season, having been backed down to 20/1. Injury struck however and she was pulled out. Likely to be aimed at the race again and this price again looks tradeable. BACK – The Minack - £3 @ 366.67 A bit of a gamble after his injury problems but Nicholls has highlighted him as a National horse and had run some decent races prior to his injury. You’d have to hope he comes back to something like his best after 18 months off, but at this price it is a chance worth taking.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: The "All Green" Grand National 2014 Long Run - £15 @ 29.72 Two things crossed my mind when watching the end of the betfair chase on Saturday, firstly "Why didn't I back Cue Card, given that I ALWAYS back Cue Card" :( and secondly that Long Run doesn't look competitive at this level anymore. I remembered Henderson's comments that he would either go for the Gold Cup or Grand National as his target this year and after his first two performances of the season, it surely has to be the latter. Noises after the race were that he would get an entry at Aintree and he would go off favourite if making it. Hawkes Point - £2 @ 549.95 Nicholls usually likes a bulk entry. Ran in the 4 miler at Festival (PU) and has an entry for the Welsh National - they are typical Grand National preps so possible he will run at Aintree although trading at 500/1 raises concerns. He would want the ground a bog really. He might get that at Chepstow so if he runs well then i’d be looking for this price to contract. Rocky Creek - £8 @ 100.0 Identified as a Grand National horse by Paul Nicholls in his Racing Post Stable tour. Whether he meant this year or not, I'm not sure but he did run Join Together last season who has a similar profile to Rocky Creek. I fancy him to run well in the Hennessy on Saturday so thought I'd back him now. 99/1 could be tradeable given Join Together went off at 25/1. Merry King - £6 @ 113.1 Ran a great race at Ascot when a strong finishing second. Looks an out and out stayed and "will be aimed at all the top staying chases this season" which i assume includes the Grand National. He certainly has a Grand National pedigree, being sired by Old Vic. Two negatives are his inexperience, having only run in 6 chases, and his age as he will only be 7 in April. I had a look through Jonjo O'Neill's previous Grand National entries and although he tends to enter experienced types, he did run Can't Buy Time as a relatively inexperienced 7 year old so an entry for Merry King isn't out of the question. It sounds like he will pick up plenty of experience this year anyway, with entries in the Hennessy Gold Cup and the Welsh National being mentioned. He therefore looks better equipped than Can't Buy Time to run a decent race. Super Duty - £9 @ 65.0 Runner up in the Fulke Walwyn at last years festival. This is a noteworthy performance as McCain often uses this race to run his Grand National hopes. He has won the race previously with Cloudy Lane and Ballabriggs, so you have to think that Super Duty is being thought of as a potential National horse. Has entries in the Hennessy and Welsh National. Boston Angel - £5 @ 140.0 Previous winner of the RSA Chase at the festival but hasn't really gone on from there. He spent most of last season being competitve in X country style races, without setting the world alight but does appear to have stamina in her locker. Has moved stables over the summer and is now looked after by David Pipe who has given her entries in the Welsh National but notably in the Becher Chase too. If she runs well there you'd have to think the National would be on the agenda. Alfie Sherrin £2 @ 40.0 I backed this last year but he was feeling the after-effects of a hard race at Cheltenham and was pulled out. A winner of the JLT chase and placed in the Irish national, both runs bode well for a Grand National bid. He looks on a nice mark and made a pleasing reappearance at the weekend over hurdles. A possible McCoy mount.

• 3 months later...

Re: The "All Green" Grand National 2014 Hi all, as you may have noticed this thread has been ignored a bit this year. The arrival of my son in October meant I haven't had as much time to dedicate to updating this. I did "green up" a couple of months ago and if anyone is interested. I have the following on my side: Tidal Bay, Tea for three, Long Run, The Package, Hawkes Point. Not as spectacular as previous years but hopefully I can get the thread back on track for 2015.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: The "All Green" Grand National 2014 Not even close to getting the winner from those 5. Some I have on my radar for 2015 are Goulanes, Godsmejudge, Night in Milan, Al Co, and Rocky Creek. Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro1_342 using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...