** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

McNamara in an induced coma....

Re: McNamara in an induced coma....

All the best to him. Feel quite sick about it - doesn't feel quite right that we're on tomorrow. Appreciate I'm possibly in a minority. Best to him and his family - get well soon :(
I feel pretty sick about it as well. I was reading its a serious neck injury. Thoughts go out to him and his family.

Re: McNamara in an induced coma.... Think the Jocks reactions after winning rides today showed a tremendous amount of class. Seems like the injury may be alot more serious than some might have imagined. Selfishly, I'm glad the meeting continued as scheduled. However, I'm not sure that it should have - and I say that from someone who has never had a close assocation with a stable/jockey/trainer etc etc. and has nothing to do with Racing other than once having worked in a Bookies and being a punter. I am sure those closer to the sport might disagree. I don't wish the sport any ill and I know horses in stables are treated better than they would be etc - I just hope JT makes a full recovery asap

Think the Jocks reactions after winning rides today showed a tremendous amount of class. Seems like the injury may be alot more serious than some might have imagined. Selfishly, I'm glad the meeting continued as scheduled. However, I'm not sure that it should have - and I say that from someone who has never had a close assocation with a stable/jockey/trainer etc etc. and has nothing to do with Racing other than once having worked in a Bookies and being a punter. I am sure those closer to the sport might disagree. I don't wish the sport any ill and I know horses in stables are treated better than they would be etc - I just hope JT makes a full recovery asap
The injury sounds awful, they mentioned the 2 bones in his vertebrae that he sounds to have broken but I still don't see how they would cancel the last day of the festival because of it. He will have his family and friends around him and there is nothing else any of the other jockeys or trainers can do now, he is in the hands of the surgeons. He might not ride again but I sure hope he recovers and can walk again.

The injury sounds awful' date=' they mentioned the 2 bones in his vertebrae that he sounds to have broken but I still don't see how they would cancel the last day of the festival because of it. He will have his family and friends around him and there is nothing else any of the other jockeys or trainers can do now, he is in the hands of the surgeons. He might not ride again but I sure hope he recovers and can walk again.[/quote'] I guess something like this (and it could have happened in showjumping, motor racing etc) makes me question the validity of a sport I get an incredible amount of enjoyment from... I just wish there was a solution. It's bad enough when the horses suffer fatalities and injury but this feels like something else all together. Just can't imagine anything worse being an active bloke myself.... Horrible. Want to discuss personal highlights of the festival etc but that wouldn't seem quite right either at the mo :( There are loads of Jockeys that have been paralysed and suffered brain damage over the years but this is the first time it's been more in the public eye that I can remember. Sadly, this does seem to have made me take notice more which is appalling. :(

Re: McNamara in an induced coma.... Hopefully he recovers like Mick Fitz did..To walk and get around..A long road ahead for the guy, Any sport is dangerous, rugby being a prime one, but we have to enjoy doing something..We dont like to think about the worst than can happen, otherwise we would not partake in sport. God speed his recovery.

I guess something like this (and it could have happened in showjumping, motor racing etc) makes me question the validity of a sport I get an incredible amount of enjoyment from... I just wish there was a solution. It's bad enough when the horses suffer fatalities and injury but this feels like something else all together. Just can't imagine anything worse being an active bloke myself.... Horrible. Want to discuss personal highlights of the festival etc but that wouldn't seem quite right either at the mo :( There are loads of Jockeys that have been paralysed and suffered brain damage over the years but this is the first time it's been more in the public eye that I can remember. Sadly, this does seem to have made me take notice more which is appalling. :(
I'm a boxing fan too and sometimes feel barbaric watching two men smash their fists into each others skulls. I've seen the effects of that too and it's genuinely upsetting. I went to a local show at Barnsley Metrodome and they brought Paul Ingle out, he had bloated and shuffled into the ring and took some severe damage years ago. When a boxer gets KO'd it's exciting but it's also sickening. I know it's completely different but injuries happen in every sport, how many times have you cringed when you see a footballer snap his ankle etc? I don't think the public realise what bravery it takes to ride a horse, especially over fences so it's even more sickening when you get drunken dickheads at the races shouting for a horse to fall or a jockey to fall off. Ask Whoneedsrio about this, we've heard it at Donny and Haydock when we've been there. What do you do though, bite your tongue and say nothing or speak up and end up scrapping with some pissed geezer and his mates? I once rode my cousins horse years ago and it was scary (I'd break it's back these days :D) and that was only a slow trot and even when we went pony trekking with school I nearly fell off when the bugger bent down for a drink. :( To ride these over fences at around 30mph takes some balls and Richard Hughes mentions in his book that his dad won't let him ride over fences. I've had the worst Cheltenham ever and lost loads yet I should feel lucky because some poor sod is lying in a hospital bed in a coma and might not walk again.

Re: McNamara in an induced coma.... Very true Mowgli and dont forget that he was riding that horse because it is what he loves to do. They all know the risks each time they come out of the weighing room, but I damn sure they wouldnt want to be anywhere else. Not sure I would fancy it... and to be fair neither would the poor horse!