Manchester United v Liverpool > Sun 13th January

Re: Manchester United v Liverpool > Sun 13th January Lads, if ye are saying Howard Webb refereeing the match means United will win, I would like to see statistics to prove that. Unless that is provided, such reasoning is absolutely ridiculous. Liverpool always get pumped up for a United game, this match could go either way, but yes United should win for me. Form goes out the window for this match, and for some reason, over the years, this is the only match Liverpool actually care about.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Manchester United v Liverpool > Sun 13th January

I think the deal should be completed in time as the fixture is next week. He has already underwent a medical so I assume the deal will be brought to an end this weak. Liverpool want Sahin to go back to Real Madrid with Inter Milan keen on him. Left-back Enrique should be out for this match. Gerrard's form isn't great and Cleverley and Carrick are in really good form. Liverpool's winger Sterling was the poorest Reds against Queens Park and the matches before his form went continualy down. With Enrique out' date= in-form Downing will step in as left-back. Sturridge could step in, but Sturridge has hardly played this season. I think these odds on Man United is too high.
Not sure I would agree with this. Gerrard has 3 goals and 6 assists in his last 6 EPL games. Also another couple of stats: he has played every minute of every EPL game this season, and has covered more distance in matches than any other player in the league. I think neither team is good in the air defensively. I think it may be worth considering a couple of long shot "anytime scorers" that have an ariel threat - such as Evans/Vidic for MU & Agger/Skrtel for Liverpool. Hopefully be back with more on this nearer Sunday. Anyone got a view on who will win the midfield battle here? Liverpool have looked more solid here since the return of Lucas, and do have a number of options in there with the improved form of Henderson as well.

Lads, if ye are saying Howard Webb refereeing the match means United will win, I would like to see statistics to prove that. Unless that is provided, such reasoning is absolutely ridiculous. Liverpool always get pumped up for a United game, this match could go either way, but yes United should win for me. Form goes out the window for this match, and for some reason, over the years, this is the only match Liverpool actually care about.
http://footballspeak.com/post/2012/02/26/Howard-Webb-Manchester-United-Love-Affiar.aspx

Lads, if ye are saying Howard Webb refereeing the match means United will win, I would like to see statistics to prove that. Unless that is provided, such reasoning is absolutely ridiculous. Liverpool always get pumped up for a United game, this match could go either way, but yes United should win for me. Form goes out the window for this match, and for some reason, over the years, this is the only match Liverpool actually care about.
Paddy Power seem covinced on twitter: @paddypower: We've shortened Man Utd into 4/5 to beat Liverpool on Sunday after Howard Webb was appointed referee ;)

Paddy Power seem covinced on twitter: @paddypower: We've shortened Man Utd into 4/5 to beat Liverpool on Sunday after Howard Webb was appointed referee ;)
4/5 is too big anyways, United should be 4/6 at best in my opinion. I don't see how the appointment of Howard Webb has anything to do with the game, he is a top class ref, and if there was any skullduggery, he wouldn't be in a job.

4/5 is too big anyways, United should be 4/6 at best in my opinion. I don't see how the appointment of Howard Webb has anything to do with the game, he is a top class ref, and if there was any skullduggery, he wouldn't be in a job.
A few posts above i posted you a link where the pure stats are given.

A few posts above i posted you a link where the pure stats are given.
Yes, I saw your link. United have an 82% strike rate when he refs a match. Most of the matches he refs for United are on at Old Trafford, and United have around an 80-85% win strike rate at Old Trafford anyways, so that statistic means nothing.

My post was tongue-in-cheek - I'd imagine it's Powers looking for some controvesy/publicity as usual!!

Fedar you are spot on about the overs price. It doesn't matter how you look at this game and or what hunches you have on what might happen $1.64 is value every day of the week. As already metioned above.... 8 of the last 10 premier league fixtures between these 2 have been overs. 80% of man uniteds home games have been overs. 70% of liverpools away games have been overs. Should be a typical fast paced encounter where overs could be dusted by the hour mark. For what its worth i think the overs price should be around the $1.46 mark. Over 2.5 goals @ $1.64 betfair 7 points. Also like the chance of a sending off in this game but need to do more research.
I actually have a better proposition than the "over". Over 2.5 is 1.60, while "United over 1.5 goals" is 1.72!!! This is what I call value! So, according to the market and these prices, a Liverpool win with scores like "1:2", "1:3", "0:3" (all the scores where over 2.5 is achieved and at the same time United scores less than 2 goals) is more likely than a "2:0" United win. No way in hell! Not according statistics, not according current form and condition, not according even the prices that the same market have attached to both teams in the game! Also, comparing this price with the straight United victory (1.83), I kind of fancy the first one more. Liverpool is poor in defense and United will come out with the best they have and the maximum motivation, so it will be hard for Pool not to concede at least 2. On the other hand, United have shown in many occasions this season that their defense and insecure De Gea might with ease concede 2 or 3 goals both at home and on the road. Hence, it is not an unlikely scenario that the likes of Suarez, Gerrard and Sturrridge score 2 or even more goals at Old Trafford. So, the "United over 1.5 goals" bet is a protection in case of a high scoring draw for instance, which is not at all unlikely, given United games so far. Man United over 1.5 goals @ 1.72 (bet365)

Aidymac, I realize that you are Man United supporter, so no hard feelings, but we are trying to be as objective as possible, because our only priority here is profit. Having Howard Webb as the ref, for me means that if the game gets sloppy for United, any important borderline decision will go in their favor. This means that if there are some tough tackles flying in the air, the chance that a Liverpool bad tackle is punished by red card increases with substantial percentage, while the chance that a Untied player will get away with similar type of tackle also gets higher. This also means much higher chance that any soft penalty in United's favor might be given, and since Man United are the team expected to attack heavily here, there will be quite a few opportunities for soft penalties. And I don't need any stats for this (anyway, how can an actual stat be compiled in this respect?!), I use my experience with watching Premier League football. Dunno for sure if Webb is United supporter or he is just too much affected by Ferguson common rants at referees during games, but it is a fact that a huge number of big border-line decisions in big games have gone in United's favor when Webb has been refereeing.

Not sure I would agree with this. Gerrard has 3 goals and 6 assists in his last 6 EPL games. Also another couple of stats: he has played every minute of every EPL game this season, and has covered more distance in matches than any other player in the league. I think neither team is good in the air defensively. I think it may be worth considering a couple of long shot "anytime scorers" that have an ariel threat - such as Evans/Vidic for MU & Agger/Skrtel for Liverpool. Hopefully be back with more on this nearer Sunday. Anyone got a view on who will win the midfield battle here? Liverpool have looked more solid here since the return of Lucas, and do have a number of options in there with the improved form of Henderson as well.
Opta Team of the season after 19 games Asmir Begovic (Stoke): Begovic has the benefit of an excellent defence in front of him but has still more than played his part in Stoke conceding 14 goals conceded in 19 games – the best record in the Premier League and one of the best in Europe. The Bosnian has started every game, keeping nine clean sheets along the way, and is understandably said to be attracting the attention of some big clubs. Pablo Zabaleta (Manchester City): Rafael has perhaps caught the eye more often than Zabaleta, but the Manchester United man is far less consistent than his City rival, who is one of the few full-backs in world football who is as good defensively as he is offensively. He has made more tackles per game than any of his team-mates, and his powerful bursts down City’s right flank have been a feature of many games this season. Ryan Shawcross (Stoke): As already mentioned, Stoke have the best defensive record in the Premier League. It is impossible to put that down to one player or even just the defence, but Shawcross is the glue that holds everything together as their skipper. Robert Huth is the player charged with most of the man-marking, but Shawcross’ organisation, bravery and aerial ability are absolutely crucial to Tony Pulis’ side. Jan Vertonghen (Tottenham): We could easily have picked Huth alongside Shawcross, while Everton’s Phil Jagielka deserves a mention, but the way in which Vertonghen has adapted to life in the Premier League earns him the nod. Defensively he is fantastic, but he has also proved useful going forward with some strong runs out of defence, especially when playing at left-back. The Belgian is also a threat from set pieces and has barely put a foot wrong for Tottenham to date. Leighton Baines (Everton): Baines is one quarter of the Premier League’s sixth tightest defence, but it is going forward that Baines has really impressed this season. He has created more chances than any other player in the league, his set pieces are among the best around, and he has chipped in with two goals as well. Santi Cazorla (Arsenal): Cazorla, like Eden Hazard and like David Silva before him, made a terrific start to life in the Premier League only for his form to tail off slightly. However, it proved to be only a temporary blip for Cazorla, who recently produced his most devastating performance yet in scoring a hat-trick in Arsenal’s 5-2 win at Reading. He has seven goals and six assists in total, and only Yaya Toure has completed passes in the opposition half. Juan Mata (Chelsea): Hazard may have stole the early headlines, but Mata has been arguably the Player of the Season to date in the Premier League. He has scored seven goals, set up seven more and is among the league leaders for passes completed in the opposition half and crosses whipped into the box. He is a true playmaker – all of Chelsea’s best moves go through the Spaniard and he can always be relied on to take the game to the opposition when players around him are not performing. Marouane Fellaini (Everton): Fellaini has long been a key player for Everton, but he has taken his performances to a new level this season, scoring eight goals already. Statistics show he has been the Toffees’ hardest worker, and few sides have been able to deal with his strength and ability in the air. Goals such as the two he scored against Fulham at Craven Cottage prove he has the skill to match his work rate and physical attributes. Michu (Swansea): Having cost Swansea just over £2million, Michu can certainly lay claim to the award of Signing of the Season in the Premier League having scored 13 goals already. What makes his tally even more impressive is that he has rarely played as a centre-forward – he has played in a similar role to Mata and Fellaini yet has nearly as many goals as those two players combined. Michu fits perfectly into Swansea’s style of play but, perhaps even more importantly, offers them a Plan B with his aerial ability. That makes him the ideal Premier League player, and it is surely only a matter of time before bigger clubs start circulating. Luis Suarez (Liverpool): If there is a player in the Premier League more important to their team than Luis Suarez is to Liverpool, we are yet to see him. The Uruguayan has 11 goals and two direct assists from his 18 appearances, and it is rare that any of the Reds’ goals are scored without some involvement from their talisman. He has had more shots and completed more dribbles than any other player in the league, and if Brendan Rodgers is able to add more quality players to his squad next month, it is scary to think how good Suarez could look. Robin van Persie (Manchester United): Van Persie is the Premier League’s joint top scorer with Michu and has been described recently as “the last piece of the jigsaw” by Sir Alex Ferguson. Some questioned the Scot’s decision to pay Arsenal £24million for the 29-year-old, but he has proven the difference in numerous games for United, also claiming seven direct assists, to help them to a seven-point lead over Manchester City at the top of the table. SUBS Simon Mignolet (Sunderland): Sunderland have had a poor first half to the season but have the ninth best defensive record, down in no small part to the brilliance of their Belgian keeper. Robert Huth (Stoke): As part of the Premier League’s tightest defence, Huth was unfortunate not to join his team-mate Shawcross in the first XI. Branislav Ivanovic (Chelsea): Despite being without John Terry for long periods, Chelsea have the third best defence in the league. Their most consistent player at the back, whether at right-back or in the middle, has been Ivanovic. David Silva (Manchester City): Silva has perhaps not quite hit the heights of last season, but he has still been City’s most creative player, chipping in with a goal and four direct assists. Gareth Bale (Tottenham): Bale has been in exhilarating form in recent months but a relatively slow start to the season sees him just miss out on a place in our first XI. Dimitar Berbatov (Fulham): There have been numerous times this season when Berbatov has made Sir Alex Ferguson’s decision to move him on a strange one. Manchester United’s loss has certainly been Fulham’s gain. Demba Ba (Newcastle): Newcastle’s position in the Premier League would be a whole lot worse were it not for the Premier League’s third highest goalscorer. No Steven Gerard, He can still run, but i think you are talking about yester year. 2012 2013 season 21 apps 4 goals in the EPL, Not in the top 10 for midfield players this season. Just over 50% of tackles won, just over 50% of headers won. 1.2 interceptions per game. 0.75 shot per game average on target. 472.5 mins played per goal. He still has a 86% passing accuracy, but as all good midfield players down the years, thats the last to go. Question is, has he influenced Liverpools season?, I dont think so, yes you will still get a game out of him, but not as influencial as he was. After all he is 33 this season.

Opta Team of the season after 19 games Asmir Begovic (Stoke): Begovic has the benefit of an excellent defence in front of him but has still more than played his part in Stoke conceding 14 goals conceded in 19 games – the best record in the Premier League and one of the best in Europe. The Bosnian has started every game, keeping nine clean sheets along the way, and is understandably said to be attracting the attention of some big clubs. Pablo Zabaleta (Manchester City): Rafael has perhaps caught the eye more often than Zabaleta, but the Manchester United man is far less consistent than his City rival, who is one of the few full-backs in world football who is as good defensively as he is offensively. He has made more tackles per game than any of his team-mates, and his powerful bursts down City’s right flank have been a feature of many games this season. Ryan Shawcross (Stoke): As already mentioned, Stoke have the best defensive record in the Premier League. It is impossible to put that down to one player or even just the defence, but Shawcross is the glue that holds everything together as their skipper. Robert Huth is the player charged with most of the man-marking, but Shawcross’ organisation, bravery and aerial ability are absolutely crucial to Tony Pulis’ side. Jan Vertonghen (Tottenham): We could easily have picked Huth alongside Shawcross, while Everton’s Phil Jagielka deserves a mention, but the way in which Vertonghen has adapted to life in the Premier League earns him the nod. Defensively he is fantastic, but he has also proved useful going forward with some strong runs out of defence, especially when playing at left-back. The Belgian is also a threat from set pieces and has barely put a foot wrong for Tottenham to date. Leighton Baines (Everton): Baines is one quarter of the Premier League’s sixth tightest defence, but it is going forward that Baines has really impressed this season. He has created more chances than any other player in the league, his set pieces are among the best around, and he has chipped in with two goals as well. Santi Cazorla (Arsenal): Cazorla, like Eden Hazard and like David Silva before him, made a terrific start to life in the Premier League only for his form to tail off slightly. However, it proved to be only a temporary blip for Cazorla, who recently produced his most devastating performance yet in scoring a hat-trick in Arsenal’s 5-2 win at Reading. He has seven goals and six assists in total, and only Yaya Toure has completed passes in the opposition half. Juan Mata (Chelsea): Hazard may have stole the early headlines, but Mata has been arguably the Player of the Season to date in the Premier League. He has scored seven goals, set up seven more and is among the league leaders for passes completed in the opposition half and crosses whipped into the box. He is a true playmaker – all of Chelsea’s best moves go through the Spaniard and he can always be relied on to take the game to the opposition when players around him are not performing. Marouane Fellaini (Everton): Fellaini has long been a key player for Everton, but he has taken his performances to a new level this season, scoring eight goals already. Statistics show he has been the Toffees’ hardest worker, and few sides have been able to deal with his strength and ability in the air. Goals such as the two he scored against Fulham at Craven Cottage prove he has the skill to match his work rate and physical attributes. Michu (Swansea): Having cost Swansea just over £2million, Michu can certainly lay claim to the award of Signing of the Season in the Premier League having scored 13 goals already. What makes his tally even more impressive is that he has rarely played as a centre-forward – he has played in a similar role to Mata and Fellaini yet has nearly as many goals as those two players combined. Michu fits perfectly into Swansea’s style of play but, perhaps even more importantly, offers them a Plan B with his aerial ability. That makes him the ideal Premier League player, and it is surely only a matter of time before bigger clubs start circulating. Luis Suarez (Liverpool): If there is a player in the Premier League more important to their team than Luis Suarez is to Liverpool, we are yet to see him. The Uruguayan has 11 goals and two direct assists from his 18 appearances, and it is rare that any of the Reds’ goals are scored without some involvement from their talisman. He has had more shots and completed more dribbles than any other player in the league, and if Brendan Rodgers is able to add more quality players to his squad next month, it is scary to think how good Suarez could look. Robin van Persie (Manchester United): Van Persie is the Premier League’s joint top scorer with Michu and has been described recently as “the last piece of the jigsaw” by Sir Alex Ferguson. Some questioned the Scot’s decision to pay Arsenal £24million for the 29-year-old, but he has proven the difference in numerous games for United, also claiming seven direct assists, to help them to a seven-point lead over Manchester City at the top of the table. SUBS Simon Mignolet (Sunderland): Sunderland have had a poor first half to the season but have the ninth best defensive record, down in no small part to the brilliance of their Belgian keeper. Robert Huth (Stoke): As part of the Premier League’s tightest defence, Huth was unfortunate not to join his team-mate Shawcross in the first XI. Branislav Ivanovic (Chelsea): Despite being without John Terry for long periods, Chelsea have the third best defence in the league. Their most consistent player at the back, whether at right-back or in the middle, has been Ivanovic. David Silva (Manchester City): Silva has perhaps not quite hit the heights of last season, but he has still been City’s most creative player, chipping in with a goal and four direct assists. Gareth Bale (Tottenham): Bale has been in exhilarating form in recent months but a relatively slow start to the season sees him just miss out on a place in our first XI. Dimitar Berbatov (Fulham): There have been numerous times this season when Berbatov has made Sir Alex Ferguson’s decision to move him on a strange one. Manchester United’s loss has certainly been Fulham’s gain. Demba Ba (Newcastle): Newcastle’s position in the Premier League would be a whole lot worse were it not for the Premier League’s third highest goalscorer. No Steven Gerard, He can still run, but i think you are talking about yester year. 2012 2013 season 21 apps 4 goals in the EPL, Not in the top 10 for midfield players this season. Just over 50% of tackles won, just over 50% of headers won. 1.2 interceptions per game. 0.75 shot per game average on target. 472.5 mins played per goal. He still has a 86% passing accuracy, but as all good midfield players down the years, thats the last to go. Question is, has he influenced Liverpools season?, I dont think so, yes you will still get a game out of him, but not as influencial as he was. After all he is 33 this season.
That's all fine and good, but those stats are for the season. Since he has been given a specific role, his form has improved. Previously he was trying to do too much. The point made by Reddevil was that he was not in form, I argue stats of 3 goals and 6 assists in 6 games is in form. And shows that he has been influencing Liverpool's season lately. Of course he is not the player he once was, no one can doubt that. But he is still a very important player, and having been resting in Dubai having been given a week off, he has to be considered a significant factor for this game.

I should imagine the re-emergence of Lucas has benefited Gerrard to some degree :unsure
Yes Jase, that has helped, although he has been slightly dissappointing since returning from injury imo. Although it usually takes him some games under his belt to get up to top speed.

Re: Manchester United v Liverpool > Sun 13th January Following Webb's appointment as a referee, I read some interesting stats - since the 08/09 season Liverpool have won 2/9 of the games away from Anfield in which Howard Webb has officiated in. Since 09/10 they’ve won 0. https://twitter.com/EPLIndex/status/288686040422690816

I read some interesting stats - since the 08/09 season Liverpool have won 2/9 of the games away from Anfield in which Howard Webb has officiated in. Since 09/10 they’ve won 0. https://twitter.com/EPLIndex/status/288686040422690816
Not true. Howard Webb was the referee for the 2012 FA Cup semi-final at Wembley, in which Liverpool beat Everton 2-1.

Re: Manchester United v Liverpool > Sun 13th January Liverpool's away record over the last 3 seasons has seen them winning less than 30% of their away games, so there's nothing unusual about Webb's record (2/9 or 3/10, whatever you want to call it), especially if you are going to exclude results that don't fit the theory.

That's all fine and good' date=' but those stats are for the season. Since he has been given a specific role, his form has improved. Previously he was trying to do too much. The point made by Reddevil was that he was not in form, I argue stats of 3 goals and 6 assists in 6 games is in form. And shows that he has been influencing Liverpool's season lately. Of course he is not the player he once was, no one can doubt that. But he is still a very important player, and having been resting in Dubai having been given a week off, he has to be considered a significant factor for this game.[/quote'] Against poor sides. Manchester United are a different kettle of fish, and as someone pointed out, Liverpool have only beaten teams below them, and not beaten anyone above them. A mid table side taking on the best side in the country on current form. I only need to look at the table to tell me that, Liverpool will play with a passion i have no doubt, but they only have one truley world class player, and that is louis suarez. Gerard has had his day, its all downhill in his football carear from this season onwards. Also i dont expect too much change with his own stats after 38, never mind 21 games.

Against poor sides. Manchester United are a different kettle of fish' date=' and as someone pointed out, Liverpool have only beaten teams below them, and not beaten anyone above them. A mid table side taking on the best side in the country on current form. I only need to look at the table to tell me that, Liverpool will play with a passion i have no doubt, but they only have one truley world class player, and that is louis suarez. Gerard has had his day, its all downhill in his football carear from this season onwards. Also i dont expect too much change with his own stats after 38, never mind 21 games.[/quote'] I'm not certain we are talking about the same point here. I was simply pointing out that in my opinion Gerrard is not out of form lately, and I stand by that. Of course he is on the way down, but there is life in the old dog yet. I suppose people could say the same about Lampard for Chelsea, but again he has been in good form lately and has made a difference. Anyway I think we have laboured the point enough at this stage. What midfield do you think United will go with?

Either with Carrick' date=' Cleverley, Anderson/Scholes and Kagawa or Valencia, Cleverley, Carrick and Young.[/quote'] Cheers. So a lot more width with the 2nd line-up. I think Liverpool could be vunerable on the flanks, especially with Enrique out so either Downing will fill in, or Johnson will shift across on the left, with Wisdom on the right. Neither Downing or Wisdom would fill me with confidence, and Johnson is a lot better going forward than defensively.

Re: Manchester United v Liverpool > Sun 13th January Man United to beat Liverpool @ 1.952 (Pinnacle:8pts) Is this price a joke?........:rollin...Liverpool are an average side, I have no doubt that United will yet again beat them on Sunday. Doesnt matter if it turns out tight, open, whatever, United will get it done. The mythical figure of Lucas wont do much to change the result, he's a hustler, chases people and plays simple passes, funny how he's become an all-conquering midfielder while injured. Scouse humour I guess. United are gonna win the title this season, we've all but confirmed that by selling Van Persie to them and he is the stand-out player in the league. I can see some contribution from him on Sunday too. United are a far superior side, playing at home which comes with extra benefits. Liverpool are an average side + Suarez. I expected United no higher than 1.70 here, do people actually back Liverpool regularly, their prices amaze me every week. Anyway, fill yer boots here. United to get the win.

Re: Manchester United v Liverpool > Sun 13th January Man.United are on a good run at the moment and are 7 points ahead of their closest rivals Man.City. In my opinion the 7 points lead might play an important part here, especially considering that the Citizens will play Arsenal away on the same day, after this game. My point is, if let's say the game is 1-1 in the last minutes I doubt that the Red Devils will risk a lot and go forward. Liverpool tend to play better football against top sides and against Man.United in particular. So, I would not be surprised if they get a draw from this game. Goals are very likely in this one and in the last 10 games between these two sides only twice "Both to Score" bet would have lost. Both to Score @ 1.50 William Hill

Re: Manchester United v Liverpool > Sun 13th January Interesting stats from today's sport press: Since 2005, Untied receives on average a penalty per 6.6 matches, and is punished with a penalty per 13.2 matches. Whenever Howard Webb is refereeing, United gets one penalty in their favor every 3.6 games, and is punished with a penalty every 16th game. United to Score a Penalty @ 6.00 United to Miss a Penalty@ 17.00 (be365)

Liverpool tend to play better football against top sides and against Man.United in particular. So, I would not be surprised if they get a draw from this game. Goals are very likely in this one and in the last 10 games between these two sides only twice "Both to Score" bet would have lost. Both to Score @ 1.50 William Hill
As has been pointed out several times in recent weeks, Liverpool have not beaten a team in the top half of the table this season, but are unbeaten against teams in the bottom half. Therefore, under Brendan Rodgers they seem to do worse against the top teams if anything

Re: Manchester United v Liverpool > Sun 13th January I did a double take when I saw the price on United here. Liverpool have improved over the past few weeks, notably with Lucas' return, but they've not faced anyone as tough as United. 'Form goes out the window' always gets thrown around for these types of games - especially this game - but I think there is such a gulf in class between the two teams that you can't ignore the form of United altogether. RvP is playing some unreal football this season and if he has Chicarito alongside him I can see Utd scoring at least two; will Liverpool score more than one goal? Not sure about that, although I do expect them to get a goal. I would have been tempted to take United at closer to 7/10 so 5/6 reeks of value to me and I will have to jump on this before the price moves, I can only see it going in one direction. 10pts Man U to win 5/6 PaddyPower (although I might have to check out Pinnacle if they are closer to evens per post above - not sure how reputable Pinnacle are?)