** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Southampton v Newcastle United > Sunday 25th November

Aidymac

[TABLE=class: couponTable, width: 617] [TR=class: row1] [TD=class: firstColumn]Southampton v Newcastle United (15:00 GMT)[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]3.1[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]3.5[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]2.55[/TD] [TD=class: bppWidth bpp, align: center]100.05 % [/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE]

Re: Southampton v Newcastle United > Sunday 25th November Another interesting clash here. Newcastle have gone off the rails recently, beaten at home by West Ham and Swansea, pretty comfortably. Fans seem to be giving Pardew a tough time and the fact he was given an 8 year contract probably doesnt help! I'm sure Southampton will feel this is a great chance to get a positive result, they played some brilliant stuff at QPR...however their defence is still very weak and I find it hard to believe they'll shut out Cisse/Ba/Ben Arfa. Gut feeling now would be a draw, BTTS aswell.

Re: Southampton v Newcastle United > Sunday 25th November The Toon have a diabolical record at Southampton, the 3-0 win in 03-04 was in the FAC & i know its two very different teams, managers even grounds etc but these bogey things still happen 2004/05: Won 2-1 OG, Carr 2003/04: Drew 3-3 Ameobi, Bowyer, Ambrose 2003/04: Won 3-0 Dyer 2, Robert 2002/03: Drew 1-1 Bellamy 2001/02: Lost 1-3 Shearer 2000/01: Lost 0-2 No scorer 1999/00: Lost 2-4 Shearer, Speed 1998/99: Lost 1-2 Hamann 1997/98: Lost 1-2 Lee 1996/97: Drew 2-2 Ferdinand, Clark 1995/96: Lost 0-1 No scorer 1994/95: Lost 1-3 Kitson 1993/94: Lost 1-2 Cole 1988/89: Lost 0-1 No scorer 1987/88: Drew 1-1 O'Neill 1986/87: Lost 1-4 A.Thomas 1985/86: Drew 1-1 Beardsley 1984/85: Lost 0-1 No scorer 1973/74: Lost 1-3 Macdonald 1972/73: Drew 1-1 Barrowclough

I don't know where that 3.1 came from but it's vanished now..... I agree I think the Saints are good value here to continue their "mini revival" :unsure ..... I dont expect to see Newcastle keeping many clean sheets this season with or without Collocini, and here I can see Southampton giving it a real go. Over 3.5 goals @ 2.75 - Paddy Power appeals. Simply because Southampton never ever look like keeping a clean sheet. I think they knew that at the weekend, which is why once Rangers pulled a goal back they kept pushing forward looking for more. Where it would have been easier to try to shut up shop. Credit to them for that. Newcastle should have Cisse available at the weekend and have a few players that can score. It seems unlikely we'll see a dull affair here, but yeah Southampton look good value. If the appropriate draw cover is available I'd take that in a heartbeat. Might just stick with goals though as its always a difficult one trying to work out when a side like Southampton will completely capitulate.

Re: Southampton v Newcastle United > Sunday 25th November Goals look a good option here. 1.75 @ Marathon / 1.74 Pinnacle, for over 2.5 looks too big really. Both sides will go for the win, both sides can counter attack effectively. Jase makes a good point about Southampton carrying on going forward when they're ahead. Something I wish Spurs would do as for some teams attack is the best form of defence and Southampton are one of those. But Cisse/Ben Arfa/Ba will relish playing on the break against that Southampton defence, whilst at the other end Puncheon and Lallana were brilliant at Loftus Road, and Lambert is always a threat. Over 2.5 is my bet.

Re: Southampton v Newcastle United > Sunday 25th November Think there is a good argument for overs and BTTS in this one, Southampton will be encouraged by their win at QPR while Newcastle will bo looking to bounce back after a couple of poor home results. I doubt think there is much doubt that Southampton will have a go here but I'm not sure Newcastle will be exactly gung ho, Pardew might well be happy with a pont here just to stop the rot. If he can get past a couple of tricky away games (Stoke after this one) with his teams confidence intact, their next home game against Wigan could get them back on track. While Newcastle have scored in every away game this season and Southampton have scored in all their home games since their defeat to Wigan in August, Newcastle have drawn their last two aways 1-1 and Southampton had the same scoreline last time out at home when playing Swansea. I think BTTS might be the safer bet here 1.57 Ladbrokes

Re: Southampton v Newcastle United > Sunday 25th November Southampton DNB @ 1.83 Ladbrokes (3 points) I think the Saints are catching the Toon at a great time here. Newcastle are in poor form and have been struggling with injuries. Ben Afa and Cisse have gone off n tonight's Europa match so look like major doubts for Sunday. That's the last thing Pardew needs. He isn't finding this season quite so easy with juggling injuries and the Europa league so he's not quite as smug as normal. There is no doubt it's tough going with the Europa and I definitely think it gives Saints a bit of an edge with them having had all week to prepare for the match whilst Newcastle have just 2 days from tonight untill Sunday. Southampton had a bad start to the season but their attacking play has always hinted that there could be improvement from them if they can sort their defence out. They got a great first win at QPR last week and back to back victories would really get their season started. I'm not fully convinced that the Saints will get the job done so i will take the draw cover but I do think this is a match they will be looking to win. There are lots of negatives against Newcastle going into this match and the teams which will line up on Sunday will be pretty close in ability. With the home advantage that definitely makes the value on the Saints and the 5/6 available looks a good price.

Re: Southampton v Newcastle United > Sunday 25th November Newcastle will be without Ben Arfa, Coloccini, Cabaye, Cisse, Gutierrez & Perch for this match versus Southampton. I fancy there to be a fair few of goals in this game given the way Southampton have been scoring freely and yet still manage to somehow concede even when they are on top of their opponent. One such example would be their last game where they won 3-1, QPR still managed to score against them. I will be backing the following bets respectively before the price disappears. :hope this doesn't backfire on me. 4pts Quatro: Southampton to win with 3 or more goals scored in the match @ 4.00 Ladbrokes 4pts Southampton to win @ 2.50 StanJames 4pts Southampton to score Over 1.5 Goals @ 2.20 StanJames

Re: Southampton v Newcastle United > Sunday 25th November

Changes everything. Where did you hear about Ben Arfa' date=' Cisse & Guti?[/quote'] Ben Arfa is out with hamstring injury, Cisse is doubtful with thigh injury and Gutierrez is out with a knee injury. Just read on the news that Cisse is a 50-50 to return. Either way, am happy I took the bets at their odds. Ben Arfa being injured is a huge loss for Newcastle, and add to the fact that Newcastle have been dire taking just 14 points from 12 games this season, Southampton seems like a good shout to me. Should be a cracking match. :hope

Re: Southampton v Newcastle United > Sunday 25th November Seemed to me that Ben Arfa carried most of the Newcastle threat last weekend in another poor performance.Looked a pale shadow of last years side! The Saints have goals in them and this should be a perfect time to beat newcastle after the recent confidence booster. Well done all the 2/1 backers...is 2.36 value now tho, I ask?

Re: Southampton v Newcastle United > Sunday 25th November Saints are not a good defensive team. Not one clean sheet at home, and 4 of 6 games conceding 2 or more goals. Away not one clean sheet and 4 of 6 games conceding 3 or more goals. So it is highly probable that they will concede Newcastle are tough to beat away. Only Chelsea beat them, 1st game of the season 2-0. Otherwise they have drawn 4 in a row. They have not managed a clean sheet away and have conceded 2 goals in 3 of 5 away games. BTTS and over 2.5 goals should be the way to go here

I won't offer an opinion for a bet as wouldn't get involved even if I had one. For those who haven't managed to watch us every game, with regards to the Defence - it's certainly better than it was - the main reason being Jack Cork helping out Morgan in front of the back 4. Gazingga in goal however has looked appalling last 2 games and its only because QPR were so bad we didn't concede more than 1. Best guess, 2-1 in our favour... No real help to anyone but just be aware that the worst defense in the league is showing some signs o improvement!

Ben Arfa is out with hamstring injury, Cisse is doubtful with thigh injury and Gutierrez is out with a knee injury. Just read on the news that Cisse is a 50-50 to return. Either way, am happy I took the bets at their odds. Ben Arfa being injured is a huge loss for Newcastle, and add to the fact that Newcastle have been dire taking just 14 points from 12 games this season, Southampton seems like a good shout to me. Should be a cracking match. :hope
I read Gutierrez is available on Sunday along with Tiote and James Perch? Just Cabaye, Coloccini, and Ben Arfa are definite absentees. I hate it when players are listed as doubts because it makes it appear their injury list is longer than it is. In reality some of those players will start. Cisse for instance just got a knock against Maritimo so I can see him being available tbh.

Re: Southampton v Newcastle United > Sunday 25th November Southampton have a poor defence but with colocinni & perch being out so will Newcastle. With Cabaye and Ben Arfa out it is essential that Guttierrez starts, but even with that Im not convinced they will get enough possession to feed the strikers. Even Newcastles fringe players such as obertan and ameobi are doubts. Southampton have know major injury concerns so, final teams confirmation dependant, I think there is value in the home win odds even at the more realistic 7/5. Southampton Win @ 7/5 with William Hill

hi NEIL JUST WONDERING BECAUE I AGREE WITH THE BTTS AND OVER 2.5 GOALS HOW MUCH DO U USUALLY STAKE ON THIS ROUGHLY ABOUT £10 ? OR HOW DOES IT WORK WITH U
I've gone big on this game. Have a 10 unit stake on BTTS here and norwich +1.5 on the asian v everton. (18 to 10) I am betting 2 units on RVP anytime, Suarez anytime and man City away win, which is more of a long shot / interest / gamble ...(8-1)

Re: Southampton v Newcastle United > Sunday 25th November Southampton v Newcastle Newcastle travel to St Marys with key players missing through injury with Coloccini suspended and both Cabaye and Ben Arfa missing. This is a great chance for Saints to get a win and lift themselves out of the bottom three. They will be ultra motivated here you would imagine and their must be a real sense of relief after getting a crucial win at Loftus Road last week and it could have been Nigel Adkins rather than Mark Hughes out of a job this week had the result gone the other way. Southampton played well last week and one thing they've not struggled with this season is goals with Puncheon, Ramirez, Lallana and Lambert a threat. Newcastle have lost their last two league games and have had less time to prepare after a midweek meeting with Maritimo. They look vulnerable at the moment and I think are there for the taking if Southampton can put up a performance. Saints should be buzzing after last weeks result and have two real winnable fixtures this week with Norwich at home to come during the week and these games could be crucial in their season if they want to stay up and they could do with building some momentum. I like the look of Southampton here and think they should have enough to beat Newcastle tomorrow. Southampton @ 7/5 William Hill

Re: Southampton v Newcastle United > Sunday 25th November Southampton @ 2.25 sportsbet Southampton are just about at full strength for this game, and after beati QPR 3-1 last week, confidence should be high as they are going to continue to play their attacking brand of football. They will like their chances of another three points here as Newcastle have lost their last two games to Swansea and West Ham, and though they have four draws and a loss from their five away games, they have several key players out for this game. Coloccini is suspended, Cabaye and ben Arfa are injured, while Cisse is doubtful, and doubt that they can hold out the way Soton has been playing. They will continue to attack, with Lambert up top, and Pancheon and Lallana out wide, and with Coloccini their key defender out, then hard to see them not conceding here. Like Southampton to win again and get themselves out of the bottom three

Re: Southampton v Newcastle United > Sunday 25th November I like the reasoning most of you have already posted.. - Saints on the back of the first PL win which was IMO been a long time coming - A underperforming Newcastle side who have despite not winning scored in 4/5 away PL games this season Can see both teams scoring which is my main bet on this one, Southampton look like winning this one :)

Southampton @ 2.25 sportsbet Southampton are just about at full strength for this game, and after beati QPR 3-1 last week, confidence should be high as they are going to continue to play their attacking brand of football. They will like their chances of another three points here as Newcastle have lost their last two games to Swansea and West Ham, and though they have four draws and a loss from their five away games, they have several key players out for this game. Coloccini is suspended, Cabaye and ben Arfa are injured, while Cisse is doubtful, and doubt that they can hold out the way Soton has been playing. They will continue to attack, with Lambert up top, and Pancheon and Lallana out wide, and with Coloccini their key defender out, then hard to see them not conceding here. Like Southampton to win again and get themselves out of the bottom three
I like your thinking. The win over QPR was huge and confidence must be skyhigh. Only match I watched in full of Saints was the game against Man U. Southampton were great value for their 2 - 0 lead there. Score goals they definitely will. I have the BTTS already but am also going to go with the home win Neil.

Re: Southampton v Newcastle United > Sunday 25th November Everything points to a Southampton win here. Something just doesnt feel right to me in terms of backing them though. For one, the price has taken a beating, and they still are horrifically bad at the back. Even with Newcastle's absences, Southampton can shoot themselves in the foot at any time. I was tempted to back Toon on a + handicap until I checked their forums and seen potential line-ups......:eek....as it is I'll just hope everyone here wins on Southampton and keep my money for another day!