** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Soccer Hot Favourites System ( at -2% )

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Re: Soccer Hot Favourites System ( at +6.40% ) .... interesting point you make there Slapdash, the stats you quoted speak for themselves.Must admit though I am still to be convinced that using these low odds is for the best.;) Noted your comments DP, thanks.;)

Re: Soccer Hot Favourites System ( at +6.40% ) I think I see the problem - 20% of the bank is the optimum staking plan to grow the pot which is great for individual matches - the problem is that most of the matches kick off at the same time and last weekend was a prime example - therefore it's not possible to adjust the bank 20% for each individual bet - which brings the bankruptcy into context that DP is talking about. Would a solution be to assume a loss and bet 20% on the first match and say 18% on the 2nd and 16% on the 3rd ?

Re: Soccer Hot Favourites System ( at +6.40% )

Would a solution be to assume a loss and bet 20% on the first match and say 18% on the 2nd and 16% on the 3rd ?
I've never actually advocated betting 20%, by the way. I think I mentioned "practical problems", and this is one of them. The problem with what you suggest is that it puts more weight on the "first" match. If you're going to be staking a given maximum, and if you don't have any reason to prefer one match over the others, the best thing in terms of getting the bank to increase at the maximum rate is to divide the stake equally. I think I mentioned a numerical experiment I did, that suggested that at these low odds, if staking the "optimal" amount for each individual match would use up your whole bank, then it was still "optimal to use almost your entire bank. I don't remember exactly, but if you had five matches at odds of 1.20 with an expected yield of 4%, so the "optimal" amount on an individual match would be 20% of your bank (which would use up all your bank if you staked 20% on all five), it was still optimal to use something like 97% of your bank split equally between the five matches if they took place simultaneously. Another solution, not applicable if you're betting on Betfair or with different bookmakers, is to put some of the bets in doubles.

Re: Soccer Hot Favourites System ( at +6.40% ) Hi Slapdash, I understood what you are saying as we were talking in the context of reducing the plateau stake system when a team lost and percentile staking does this. If I understand correctly DP's main concern to the optimal 20% percentile was going bankrupt. You mentioned "practical problems" and that you didn't advocate 20% percentile stakes - so where does this leave us with the kelly formula ? I don't mean this to sound sarcastic as I am genuinely interested because as the stake to return and yield is low anything to optimise the stakes and increase the profits would be of benefit. Cheers.

Re: Soccer Hot Favourites System ( at +6.40% )

You mentioned "practical problems" and that you didn't advocate 20% percentile stakes - so where does this leave us with the kelly formula?
The main practical problem I had on mind was this: The principal difficulty in applying the Kelly formula in practice is that you don't know what the expected yield is. You can only estimate it. If your estimate is too low, then you will stake less than the "optimum", but your bank will still grow (more slowly), but if your estimate is too high, then your stake will be higher than the "optimum", and if it is too high then your bank will actually decrease in the long term. So it is more prudent to err on the side of underestimating your expected yield. Also, with a system like this, you can't be confident that the system will continue to work as well in the future. As DP said, the yield of the system may decrease because of changes in the way bookmakers compile their odds, the rules of the game, the style of play ... Then if you are erring on the side of staking too low a percentage, you have a chance of noticing these changes and adjusting for them before you have lost a large proportion of your bank. Other practical problems: The problem we've seen of having to bet on too many teams at once. This is even more of a problem if you're betting with bookmakers several days before the matches to make sure of getting the best price before it gets cut, so you have to tie up your money for several days. Especially if you're also using the same betting bank for other betting opportunities. This again only applies if you are betting at several different bookmakers to get the best odds. If you are staking 20% of your bank on each bet, you have the problem of moving lots of money between your various bookies' accounts at short notice. If you bet the "optimal" amount on each bet, then there will be larger swings (up and down) in the size of your bank along the way, although in the long run it will grow faster. You may not like this from a psychological point of view. Since you are betting larger amounts, then you will more quickly run into the problem of bookmakers' limits (or the difficulty of getting larger amounts matched on Betfair). If you are able to bet all you want on some bets, but not on others, then that adds extra variance to your results. And you have to worry that maybe if it's easier to get money on a particular bet, then that's evidence that it might not be such a good bet as the ones you find it harder to get money on.

Re: Soccer Hot Favourites System ( at +6.40% ) Another shafting tonight:wall Livingston Surely cup games cannot be good for this system. If teams have other priorities then weakened teams are fielded as we all know. Is this reflected in the price? I know quality should always show through in the end but cup games will always bring out that little bit extra - especially from the underdogs who have something prove against the superstars.

Re: Soccer Hot Favourites System ( at +6.40% ) :@

Dear reader of this thread,

This is to let you know that this thread is now closed until further notice. The reason for this is because the owner, Mr. Datapunter, is now officially pissed off. I can only express my deepest sympathy and hope he shall recover soon.

Yours sincerely, Mr. Datapunter's Betting Bank Manager.

:sad

Re: Soccer Hot Favourites System ( at +6.40% ) ..... Dear Mr.Datapunter's Bank Manager :- May I say at the onset how sorry we the Datapunter Supporters Club were to hear of your client's current lack of morale situation. We fully realise that betting transactions can and do, go wrong every so often, and can lead to irregular behavioural problems.We would therefore quote a few lines from an old Sinatra song,it goes something like this, "Once there was a silly old ant,tried to move a rubber tree plant,everyone knows an ant can't move a rubber tree plant, but he's got high hopes,he's got high hopes"........... and so there is a lesson to be learned here. Please inform your client that we are 100% behind his inner feelings, but he will NEVER walk alone.Can you therefore urge him to return to the ring, the fight is not over until the final bell. By keeping the gloves off, the situation can never be rectified.One final thought to be passed on, onward and upward my friend ...... and besides...... we like reading this thread! Yours in sympathy, Merlin (Self appointed Chief sympathiser)

Re: Soccer Hot Favourites System ( at +6.40% ) :lol Ah well, at least we're having some fun. Thank you so much for your kind words, My betting Bank Manager has quite accurately pointed out that i am actualy still in profit. So even thou the bank has suffered a somewhat painfull set-back i have no doubt the season will end with a healthy profit. So where were we... Celtic -10 Fulham -10 Sunderland +2.375 Man. United -10 Milan +2.185 Livingston -10 a grand total of... Total staked 1185 Total returned 1222.366667 Yield 1.031533052 3.15% Winners 103 Losers 19 Strike Rate 84% Current bank 137.3666667 Profit/Loss +37.36666667

post-238-14429283300907_thumb.jpg

Re: Soccer Hot Favourites System ( at +6.40% ) Doesn't really look all that bad does it.... So lets get on with it: 2006-01-14 16:00 Celtic v Kilmarnock 10 @ 1.29 2006-01-15 15:00 Inter v Cagliari 10 @ 1.22 2006-01-15 15:00 Juventus v Reggina 10 @ 1.19 2006-01-15 17:00 Sunderland v Chelsea 10 @ 1.25 2006-01-15 19:00 Barcelona v Ath Bilbao 10 @ 1.24

Re: Soccer Hot Favourites System ( at +3.15% ) With you all the way chaps. But i've included Celtic got 1.28 at betfair earlier in the week. Hopefully Mr keane will have opened his big mouth and over that shambles last week. But i dare say there would not have been anything left to say after Strachen had ago. Would have loved to have been a fly on the wall. Good luck All!

Re: Soccer Hot Favourites System ( at +3.15% ) well 4 winners, not bad. Inter + 2.09 Juventus + 1.805 Chelsea + 2.375 Benfica + 2.85 Total staked 1225 Total returned 1271.486667 Yield 1.037948299 3.79% Winners 107 Losers 19 Strike Rate 85% Current bank 146.4866667 Profit/Loss +46.48666667

Re: Soccer Hot Favourites System ( at +3.79% ) Potentials... 2006-01-17 19:45 Birmingham v Torquay 1.210 England FA Cup 2006-01-17 19:45 Middlesbrough v Nuneaton 1.170 England FA Cup 2006-01-18 18:00 Alkmaar v Den Haag 1.260 Dutch First Division 2006-01-18 19:30 Milan v Ascoli 1.200 Italian First Division 2006-01-18 20:00 Man. United v Burton 1.060 England FA Cup 2006-01-21 15:00 Rangers v Livingston 1.180 Scottish Premier League 2006-01-21 21:00 Real Madrid v Cadiz 1.260 Spanish First Division 2006-01-22 13:30 Chelsea v Charlton 1.220 English Premiership 2006-01-22 18:00 Barcelona v Alavacos 1.200 Spanish First Division 2006-01-24 19:30 Bayern v Mainz 1.200 German Bundesliga As usual, these early prices are an indication only ! Well, i've had it with the FA cup for a bit :\ so no bets for me today, but i'll probably go for Alkmaar and Milan...

Re: Soccer Hot Favourites System ( at +3.79% ) Hi Eric, The AZ Alkmaar game is IN PLAY on Betfair, so if you don't get matched perhaps you could get 1.25 or better after 7pm GMT. The Real Madrid game is also IN PLAY if you find yourself on the web late at night this weekend. This could in fact be a better tactic, and worth a try ;) Good luck!

Re: Soccer Hot Favourites System ( at +3.79% ) thanks AndyR, Sometimes when the price drops below the level i want i'll wait and see if i can get my minimal price in-running. But it's more an exception than a rule. Price on Alkmaar dropping, i'm letting it ride on 1.23 Price on Milan also dropping and letting that ride on 1.21 Gotta leave now, so won't know until afterwards if i'm matched or not :hope