Racing For Rupert

Re: Dual Racing For Rupert Fell at the first :nana 6.35 Epsom - 2pts win Sandfrankskipsgo @ 7/2 (Bet365) Peter Crate's runner seems to enjoy downhill tracks with form at Goodwood, Epsom and Brighton including a recent win at the latter. He also needs a quick surface over the minimum trip and his wins tend to come in smaller fields so this should suit ideally. He couldn't match the Brighton form when last seen but that came in a better race at Windsor and he took a keen hold. Should be able to freewheel down the hill better here and back down into an easier race I fancy him to go very close under ideal conditions.

• Replies 940
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Dual Racing For Rupert 2.35 Ascot - 2pts win Mr Matthews @ 7/2 (BetVictor) The Hannon runner looks very short to me. Have to respect the market support but on balance Karl Burke's charge looks like the one to be on at the prices. 7/2 looks very fair about a horse with rock solid form in the book and is on an upward curve. Built on a promising debut to run out a comfortable winner at Carlisle on his second outing (74 horse well held in 2nd). In a small Newcastle race, Burke's runner could only finish second to a very smart type who subsequently has won a Group 2, rated 103. He was by no means disgraced and again ran very well at York when last seen. He looked all over the winner on that occasion, travelling into the lead like a dream, but didn't find an awful lot under pressure when getting there and was beaten a length in third ultimately. At least the runner-up won next time to frank the form and it was still a good effort. Presumably will be held onto for longer today as he could just be an idle sort in front and he has quite a pronounced action which suggests that the slight ease in going could aid him a bit. Still looks to have room to manoeuvre off his mark of 82 and has cheekpieces applied today for the first time to aid his concentration. There's no denying that the favourite is well thought of (sent off at odds on both starts to date) and the step up to 6f will suit, but 5/4 is alarmingly short and can legitimately be taken on.

Re: Dual Racing For Rupert 3.10 Ascot - 3pts win Mysterious Man @ 3/1 (Boyles) Andrew Balding's big gelding ran a really good race in the Ascot Stakes at the Royal meeting last time out, making most of the running when coming home in 5th. Raced freely on the lead but still had enough in the tank to repel most raiders up the straight and proved his stamina is no concern. Still, the drop back to two miles can hopefully help him to settle in his race and this small field could prove ideal for him to dominate. It was always going to be tricky to make all in such a competitive, large-sized field on that occasion but this six-runner contest can play to his strengths as there seems little to trouble him on the front end should he decide to be ridden positively (I feel he should). He's a proper galloping type so 1m5f at Chester two starts back was never going to be ideal (respectable 3rd) and his short-head runner up on seasonal reappearance was a top effort - chinned by progressive type now rated 16lbs higher. My selection is only 4lbs higher than that day now and with conditions ideal, it's hard to see him not bang there.

Re: Dual Racing For Rupert 6.30 York - 2pts win Mappin Time @ 16/1 (BetVictor) Backed this horse at Haydock last time over 5f but he was outpaced in the early stages (as feared) before coming home really well. He's quite a tricky type as he needs a good gallop and fast ground, ideally over 6f, but often doesn't get it all to come together and can only run adequately without winning. However, at his price, he's well worth another go this evening. He's back up to 6f on a flat track which will help and the ground is going to be on the quick side (currently good to firm, sunny day ahead). Both of his handicap wins have come off higher marks so he's fairly treated and this big field should play to his strengths. 20 runners go to post which means he'll need luck in running but the size of the field should ensure a good gallop so ultimately there should be no excuses providing luck in the run. He's drawn in the middle which could be ideal and should go very well.

Re: Dual Racing For Rupert Everything seems to make sense logically but can't buy any good winners. Mr Matthews delivering a challenge when deciding to violently hang left and Mysterious Man really should have run better than he did. Frustrating. Season's turning into an epic fail. Need a big winner or two. Hopefully Mappin Time can deliver but when on a bad run, you can't be too confident.

Re: Dual Racing For Rupert 6.00 York - 3pts win Nurpur @ 7/2 (Bet365) The Godolphin-owned favourite looks short here considering his best form has come on the all-weather and is worth taking on with the in-form David O'Meara charge who has a very capable apprentice on board in David Bergin. The horse hasn't been out of the first two in his last five starts and has won two of those in the hood applied today. Was stepped back up to a mile from 6f last time when getting up late at Haydock and that reads well as he comfortably did best of those held up. Did well to win ultimately and essentially only 3lbs higher today with Bergin's claim, ought to take the beating. Had been staying on over an insufficient 6f and regularly off steady gallops and although this may not be run at a rapid pace, the lengthy straight will help him should he be held up as usual and he looks rock solid to go very close indeed. 7.10 Newmarket - 2pts win On My Own @ 7/1 (Hills) John Hills' runners are flying at the moment with four winners and three places from his last 11 runners and this one has conditions to suit this evening. Shaped well in a good Kempton maiden on his seasonal return, staying on into midfield, and wasn't far behind the reopposing Sir Mike in a Lingfield handicap next time. The sharp track, slowish gallop and his wide position all were against him that day but kept on for 4th and was too keen over 1m2f last time here. The drop back to a stiff mile will prove ideal for him I feel and the form of last time reads well. The winner is now rated 16lbs higher and the runner-up won next time off the same mark so my selection dropped 2lbs, back in trip and facing more exposed rivals really should go close. Looks like a testing mile will be right up his street, a good gallop would help, but with the yard in fine nick, the race not being anything special, and decent odds, make him a worthwhile bet this evening.

Re: Dual Racing For Rupert 2.05 Ascot - 2pts win Queen Catrine @ 6/1 (Bet365) Have to say I feel that David Brown's runner is underpriced. Has a good chance for sure but the form of the Norfolk doesn't look unbelievable based on what horses have done since personally and I like the form of Charles Hills' runner who wasn't disgraced in a Newmarket Group 2 when last seen. Prior to that she was a good 3rd in a hot HQ maiden (first two are smart) and hacked up by 5l next time out in another decent contest - runner-up now rated 87. Stepped up markedly to that Group 2 last time when 3rd behind Lucky Kristale. Wasn't beaten far by the very impressive Ascot winner Rizeena and the winner at Newmarket may just be very good. She did best of those up with the pace in the Albany and her form before that was very useful so perhaps my selection just bumped into one and now this looks a bit easier I'm confident she'll go very well indeed at a backable price. 2.40 Ascot - 2pts win Yarroom @ 20/1 (Bet365) I can't fathom the price of this horse which probably means there's something I'm missing or he's not ripe for this but on form he's no 20/1 shot in my eyes and because of that I'm going to side with him because this is a good Saturday handicap and not a low-grade affair on the all-weather! Of course this is a competitive affair but he hasn't run a bad race in his career to date. He won a Lingfield handicap off a mark of 85 (going away at finish) and only runs off 6lbs higher today. Hasn't won in either of his two starts since then but appeared to bump into one at that same venue next time (being held up didn't suit in that contest either) as the winner's form looks strong and the horse in 3rd (my selection 2nd) is now rated 103 so it looks a smart effort. Can be excused for lacking a bit of fitness when last seen but again that came in a small field and everything this horse has done so far suggests he wants a nice strong gallop to come off and quick ground. Was only beaten two lengths and was keeping on. This race should suit ideally and doesn't look handicapped to the hilt. The issue is the lack of market confidence, especially as he's coming off a 92 day absence but if he's ready to go then I think he'll outrun his odds. 2.45 Newmarket - 3pts win Al Saham @ 4/1 (Ladbrokes) I remember this horse's most recent run very well and he was an obvious eyecatcher that day at Sandown. He's always a hold-up performer but the recipe didn't really add up as he was dropped down to 1m2f (previous winner over 1m4f) and held up off a very steady gallop. He naturally took a very keen hold and knowing that he stayed further, it didn't bode well with him being positioned right out the back. As you can imagine, as the race developed he couldn't close sufficiently off the messy gallop but stayed on strongly into 4th come the line. Silvestre De Sousa was on board that day and again takes the ride and I'm sure he'll have learned from that. Any combination of a stronger pace, an earlier move or a more prominent sit can help as he clearly is capable off this mark under these conditions and hasn't been penalised for that, under the circumstances, good run. The hood is on today and the July course's long straight looks ideal for him as he won't be caught out as elsewhere where they can kick off a bend off a steady pace. He'll definitely be winning races off this mark and with that experience sure to be learned from, I can see him gaining compensation this afternoon. 3.15 Ascot - 2pts win Queensberry Rules @ 9/1 (Bet365) A lot of the usual suspects line up for this big 7f handicap but my boring selection is unexposed in comparison and although is favourite for this, 9/1 isn't too short and he looks guaranteed to run well this afternoon. He doesn't look handicapped out of this like many and I think conditions will prove ideal for him today. He represents a William Haggas team in fine form and his four starts on the racecourse can't be knocked with too much conviction. He won his first two starts at Kempton and Sandown respectively (saw off some smart types at the latter) before pulling too hard in a tactical 1m2f event on his next start at Doncaster. There were only three runners and ultimately it just didn't suit. It's worth mentioning that his rivals are good but a slow gallop over 1m2f just wasn't ideal. Dropped back to a mile here in the Britannia when last seen and ran a blinder to be a close 3rd of 27. The front two were prominent throughout so he did best of those held up and he stayed on well. The drop back to 7f isn't an obvious solution but it often helps to stay a bit further in races such as this and I'd be hoping they'll revert back to more positive tactics today. If he can hold a decent position and not be too far back then I think he has a monster chance of outclassing and outstaying them late on off this mark with the 3yo allowance. I just hope he's not staying on with too much to do. Has the right man on board anyway with Ryan Moore in the saddle (partnered him 3 of 4 starts) and he'll be tough to beat should everything go to plan in the run.

Re: Dual Racing For Rupert 3.05 Ascot - 3pts win Bishop Roko @ 3/1 (Hills) Roger Charlton's runners are in very good form at present and his unexposed type in here looks the one to beat in my eyes. This Rock of Gibraltar gelding has only had three starts to date but didn't need time to get used to the game when romping to a six length victory on debut at Newbury. Not only is that impressive on the face of it, the form has worked out extremely well. The 2nd, 3rd and 4th are currently rated 88, 108 and 98 respectively. On that, my selection's mark of 93 can be exploited for all that's reading the form literally. He wasn't seen for over a year after that run and shaped as if retaining all ability when running a sound race in a tactical affair at Kempton when naturally needing the outing. Wasn't beaten far back there when last seen, probably doing too much too soon and being swamped by closers late on. The front few came from off the pace so it probably wasn't a bad effort from a horse in the front pair throughout and was beaten less than three lengths. On track evidence to date, there must be a good chance he'll be better back on the turf today and the rain we've had can also suit (was good to soft on debut). Tough to beat in my opinion against some more exposed types. 3.40 Ascot - 2pts win Can You Conga @ 11/2 (Hills) Kevin Ryan's runner is unexposed with just four career starts to date and has shaped well enough to suggest he's got a race like this in him off a mark of 82. Was green when only beaten a neck by a now 97-rated animal (pair well clear) on debut and although disappointing a bit next time (no obvious excuses, possibly softish ground), has run well the last twice to suggest that was merely a blip. Won his Doncaster maiden two starts back from a subsequent handicap winner off 75 (again pair had the race between them) so it looks to me like 82 is fair. Made his handicap debut at Pontefract last time but was slowly away and that cost him. Had raced prominently in his other races and he could only keep on from the rear into a never dangerous 7th. I'm sure a return to a positive ride will happen today so long as he jumps out well and with Joe Fanning on board, I can see him running a huge race from the front if all goes to plan.

Re: Dual Racing For Rupert 5.20 Ascot - 2pts win Joe Packet @ 16/1 (Bet365) Big, competitive sprint to close the Ascot card and for all it's devilishly competitive, I am sweet on the chances of Jonathan Portman's charge. He's only 1lb above his latest winning mark (won by 1 1/4l) and has run himself into form this summer. All of his wins have come within a three month period at the hight of summer so it's no great surprise and should be going well in this. His draw in stall 16 could prove nice and was only beaten 1/2l when charging home at Sandown two starts back. That was a very good effort considering he couldn't make the most of his rail draw as he was slowly away. He likes a stiff finish so this will suit and is a course winner. May have disappointed a bit last time but he did have excuses here. Firstly he was on the wrong part of the track and secondly, in that group down the centre of the course, it paid to be on the pace. He did best of those held-up in the middle of the course and came home quite well. Simply his position both on the track and in relation to pace didn't suit at all and that can be forgiven. Still came home a respectable 9th and assuming he gets a better lead today, can improve on that. Jim Crowley takes over again from William Carson which is a plus. Crowley rode him at Sandown and also for his two most recent wins so everything looks to have come together today and he should go close.

Re: Dual Racing For Rupert 6.50 Uttoxeter - 3pts win Polly Hopper @ 7/2 (Bet365) Selling hurdles aren't the typical go-to place for a best bet of the day but Nigel Twiston-Davies' mare looks to have a great chance of landing the spoils, for all she's looked a little complicated on five career starts. Despite this, she's made the frame on three of those and is obviously more unexposed than these considering her relative inexperience. She's shaped well on all starts, being beaten no further than 12 1/2l since her promising debut and the defeat by that margin came last time out when she ran third to a nice type in a novice hurdle. There won't be anything on that level in this and she looks to have a rock solid chance at the weights. She looked a likely winner at Cartmel on her run before that but just couldn't quicken on the long run-in there over 2m6f on soft ground. 2m4f should be ideal today and a bit of cut in the ground won't inconvenience. That's an issue for Paddy Partridge in my eyes as he's not the strongest finisher so this trip on ground with some ease in it would be a concern. He has won over this c&d before but that came on genuine good ground and he was all out at the finish. Similarly, Loose Preformer's best form has come on a sound surface and although it won't be tremendously soft it would still concern me a bit. He has a couple of questions to answer with the blinkers applied for the first time and although not a perfect type for a bet, this race falls apart a bit on inspection I feel and the Twiston-Davies runner can take advantage of her rival's weaknesses.

Re: Dual Racing For Rupert Jumps: Bets: 260 Wins: 35 Placed: 66 Pts Staked: 433pts Pts Returned: 473pts P/L: +40pts Flat: Bets: 203 Wins: 21 Placed: 44 pts Staked: 362pts Pts Returned: 300pts P/L: -62pts Had a dry spell on the flat which is disappointing. Do feel it's been a really difficult flat season but thankfully the jumps are still being quite kind. That keeps us from being in big trouble. Thread's still doing okay considering we've seen 463 bets but whilst we're down (however small) it's something I'm not content about! Got Goodwood now. Festivals haven't been kind but that means we're due one. Our jumps total reads fairly well but would be much, much healthier if you take out Cheltenham and Aintree. Hopefully we can get some decent winners this week at Goodwood and that can swing the thread total into profit, even if not the flat itself!

Re: Dual Racing For Rupert 1.55 Goodwood - 3pts win Fast or Free @ 6/1 (Bet365) Normally I wouldn't be so keen on getting involved with a horse who has been off the track for over a year, reappearing in a hot handicap, but William Haggas can bring horses back after absences to win (had an easy winner at York at the weekend who fit such a bill). It's especially less of a problem when you consider the form this horse was showing when last seen (progressive, won the Britannia at Royal Ascot on last run) and his profile suggests there's still more to come. Presuming he is fit enough to do himself justice, he could make 6/1 look a bit silly. The yard are in very good form and a good winner of such a good 1m handicap when last seen should have few issues with the conditions today. You'd need to stay a bit further than a mile if winning a big handicap like the Britannia at Ascot and I don't envisage this new trip being an issue. Finishes his races off well and has sufficient stamina in his pedigree. Notnowcato's progeny, much like himself, have a tendency to progress impressively. You only have to look at Chil the Kite and Custom Cut, as examples of horses who have gone from opening handicap marks of 83 and 73 to now be rated 108 and 109 respectively. I see no reason why Haggas' runner won't be able to make an impact in Group races himself and any cut in the ground won't inconvenience either. Paul Hanagan is 1-1 on this horse and also has a 33% strike rate when riding older (4+) horses for the trainer. Can overcome the absence and land the spoils I fancy this afternoon.

Re: Dual Racing For Rupert 3.05 Goodwood - 2pts win Garswood @ 9/2 (Bet365) Ryan Moore is 4-9 when riding for Richard Fahey and connections will be pleased to see the rain coming for their raider in this today. He's always been well thought of by Fahey but hasn't got a Group win under his belt so far but has conditions to suit today having been forced to run on quicker ground than ideal this season thanks to the dry weather. Was very useful last year over sprinting trips, winning an Ayr listed race on heavy over 5f and then just failed behind the smart Bungleinthejungle at Ascot. He got outpaced early on both times in those races and improved for a step up to 7f on his seasonal reappearance at Newmarket when a handicap winner off 106. The form of that race has worked out and although he couldn't get involved in the 2000 Guineas, the ground was quick and at that level, he probably needs everything perfect for him to get seriously involved. Bounced back to be a good 4th in the Jersey at Royal Ascot but again the ground would have been too quick and now the rain's got into the ground today, I really fancy him. A quick 7f on softish ground should be perfect and receiving the 3yo weight allowance, should be going close.

Re: Dual Racing For Rupert 3.40 Goodwood - 1pt win Suraj @ 25/1 (Bet365) Michael Bell's runner looks overpriced today despite having two duck eggs next to his name on his two most recent starts. They don't tell the story, however, as he was poorly positioned in the Chester Cup (passed beaten horses late on) on his first run for seven months and then pulled way too hard upped to 2m4f at Ascot last time out. He does have stamina but will need to learn to settle before getting involved over such marathon trips. The step back to 1m6f on that evidence can help and they ought to go a decent gallop today. Those two things will really help him and he's not off a bad mark. This is obviously a very good race but any give in the ground won't inconvenience (wouldn't want it bottomless, though) and I do think he'll outrun his price. Bolted up at Doncaster last season off 88 so only 5lbs lower than today (won by 6l) and followed that up with a good effort in the strong Silver Cup at York (Mount Athos 1st, High Jinx 2nd) when racing freely. Was caught out a bit by a slow pace on heavy ground at Haydock next time out when not disgraced and is 4lbs lower than both of those efforts today. Was nothing special in two novice hurdle runs but his headstrong nature didn't help and has definitely shaped better than the bare result the last twice. Now he's down to 93 with Tom Queally on board at the bottom of the weights, I think he's got a decent chance of getting involved if Queally can stop him from over-racing.

Re: Dual Racing For Rupert Good runs all round. Thought Fast or Free was a big eyecatcher. Pulled hard but came there going well a couple out but faded. Should come on plenty for that. Garswood wins, finding plenty off the bridle, although with a R4 and Suraj managed to grab an unlikely third having never really travelled...was a bit surprising (usually takes a pull!).

Re: Racing For Rupert 1.55 Goodwood - 2pts win Lieutenant Miller @ 6/1 (Bet365) Nicky Henderson's runner isn't exactly an inventive selection for this marathon contest but 6/1 isn't too bad a price and I do expect him to take the beating this afternoon. This 2m5f trip is obviously going to take some getting and this horse looks a stout stayer having finished a close 2nd over 3 miles on soft ground over hurdles and has reverted to the flat with plenty of success this season. Was strong at the finish when a 2m1f winner at Doncaster, forging away from the reopposing Broxbourne who franked the form at the weekend with plenty of vigour. This horse went for the 2m4f handicap at Royal Ascot next time out and ran a cracker in third to suggest he can win a race of this ilk. Probably just bumped into a couple of horses better treated than himself but raced quite freely (this track potentially will suit better on that front) and lacked cover throughout really - having to race a touch wide. Still stayed on in third (looked vulnerable for that position briefly, but kept on well to repel a couple of challengers) and should get home at this venue over just a furlong further. Yard are in fine form and Tom Queally is 1-3 when riding for Henderson. Looks a worthy favourite and the rain shouldn't inconvenience.

Re: Dual Racing For Rupert 2.30 Goodwood - 2pts win Secret Number @ 11/2 (Bet365) Trappy little event but Saeed Bin Suroor's runner looks to have a genuinely good chance upped to 1m4f today. Looked a horse to follow when beating a smart type on debut at Kempton (that runner-up subsequently rated 95) and did nothing wrong over in Dubai, including a staying on third in the UAE Derby. Although artificial surfaces clearly suit, races over at Meydan are often not run at great gallops and that wouldn't suit this horse I feel. He'd love a nice gallop to come off and although that's not guaranteed here, at least he gets a two furlong increase in trip. His effort at Royal Ascot suggests that this will suit - initially being outpaced and looking like going nowhere, prior to staying on strongly in the closing stages. The ease in the ground may suit on that evidence too as she couldn't pick up when the leaders were quickening so 1m4f on slightly easier ground could well suit. Although he disappointed in the Dante, it came at a time where the yard couldn't buy a winner, but soon found form afterwards and now with the yard enjoying a productive summer, he looks one to side with at a reasonable price.

Re: Dual Racing For Rupert 4.50 Goodwood - 2pts win Close At Hand @ 6/1 (Bet365) John Gosden's charge looks fairly handicapped down at the bottom of the weights and I'm anticipating a big run from her off a featherweight of 8-0. Built on an inexperienced performance on debut to be a staying on second to Saucy Minx (3/4l between them) and my selection has a 7lb swing in the weights today despite doing little wrong since. She lost her place before coming home well again to be beaten a length at Nottingham on her third start - closing well to the line behind a now 82-rated individual - and made no mistake in a Windsor maiden last time with the hood applied when running out a 2l winner. A mark of 76 looks far from beyond her - especially now she steps up an extra furlong - and it's difficult to see her not getting involved assuming she gets some luck from stall 3.

Re: Racing For Rupert 8.10 Leicester - 2pts win Key Ambition @ 8/1 (Hills) There are questions about a lot of these so that makes Garry Moss' runner appealing to me at a nice price as he doesn't have as much to prove as many of those. He does struggle to win but got his head in front last time out in a race franked by the runner-up and is only 3lbs higher tonight. Prior to that he was a good 3rd to today's favourite Clubland despite being off the track for over two months and there's a big swing in the weights with that one here. He goes well with the headgear combination persisted with tonight and soft ground doesn't inconvenience (won debut on soft). Plenty of these have to prove themselves with regards to current wellbeing, ground or trip so I'll side with one who should be fine on all fronts and at 8/1 is worth chancing he can back up last time's win. 8.45 Leicester - 2pts win Haatefina @ 10/1 (VC) Mark Usher's horses are in decent nick and Daniel Muscutt has a 20% strike rate when riding for the yard. That bodes well on a filly who can win a race at this level and has run some okay races this season so far. She beat a good horse when winning her maiden last season on soft ground and it seems she does enjoy some give in the ground. She shaped really well with the visor applied for the first time earlier this season when beaten less than 3l in a decent 0-75 affair off a mark of 66 and again was not disgraced at Windsor next time out. Found 1m2f in a 0-90 race too taxing last time out and today off a mark of 62 gets to run back at a mile, with give in the ground, a 7lb claimer taking more weight off and it's a drop in grade to a 0-65. All of those things add up to give her a good chance I reckon and 10/1 is fair.

Re: Racing For Rupert Got work soon so short posts I'm afraid: 2.15 Goodwood - 2pts win King George River @ 14/1 (Bet365) Alan Bailey's runner ran just five days ago in a York Group 2 but that was his first run for a few months and should have come on for that when not given a hard time. Couldn't have really been expected to go ultra close in that but that will have blown away the cobwebs and presuming this hasn't come too soon, should be capable of making his mark back in a handicap. He beat Sugar Boy comfortably on debut proving his worth and has been progressive for Bailey. Was a clear 2nd to Intello at Newmarket in April and also comfortably beat Sennockian Star in a handicap where that one was running off 71 (is now rated 97). Intello is one of the best 3yos around so that form is good (Glory Awaits further back) and he doesn't have to saddle top weight thanks to Tha'ir's inclusion. Can go well.

Re: Racing For Rupert 3.15 Goodwood - 2pts win Caucus @ 13/2 (Bet365) I was a bit disappointed with Mount Athos at Ascot when taking a long time before finding his stride and Caucus looks a stayer still with potential yet very much top class. He stayed on well for second in the Segaro stakes (behind Gold Cup winner Estimate) and did well to get on top of the smart Biographer last time out at Sandown (pair miles clear). Would love a good pace to come off today which he should get given the size of the field and has the form to match these. 13/2 looks more than a fair price and should go close. 4.50 Goodwood - 2pts win Czech It Out @ 9/1 (Ladbrokes) I'm really interested in Amanda Perrett's charge in this contest who looks unexposed and has conditions to suit today. Caught the eye when travelling well on debut and made no mistake when getting off the mark next time out in a half-decent race at Newbury. Made his handicap debut at Sandown last time out and shaped well. Was staying on all the time to grab third but wasn't going quick enough to challenge a decent front two (including reopposing Homage). Should progress again for the run and the easier ground can suit. His dam was a decent type and his pedigree suggests that a bit more give in the ground can help him have a more competitive finish rather than just staying on without having the pace to challenge. Big field should ensure a good gallop which will help and is well drawn.

Re: Racing For Rupert One for Saturday: 2.40 Goodwood - 2pts win Pether's Moon @ 6/1 (BetVictor) Richard Hannon's runner appeared to be just outstayed by Havana Cooler on the Newmarket July Course last time out and with a swing in the weights and now a sharper track, I think that should be enough to overturn that form today in favour of the speedier runner. He travels strongly but just couldn't match Luca Cumani's staying, galloping type in the closing stages. He is not the only threat here but most are going to have stiffer tasks now upped in the weights and it wouldn't surprise me if the two HQ rivals fought out the finish again this afternoon.

Re: Racing For Rupert 3.05 Goodwood - 2pts win Windhoek @ 8/1 (Bet365) Mark Johnston's horse disappointed at Sandown last time out but they can be a bit hit and miss. One thing's for sure, the trainer relishes Glorious Goodwood and there's every chance that his lacklustre performance was due to the race coming fairly quick off the back of a Royal Ascot run. He wasn't at all disgraced in the Tercentenary when taking a keen hold but challenging until late on. It was a similar story in the Dante and for all he's won over 1m2f, I think a strongly-run mile will suit him down to the ground on decent ground. He's got a good draw today in stall 3 and the promise he showed at the start of the season suggests that this mark may not be beyond him with conditions to suit.

Re: Racing For Rupert 3.40 Goodwood - 2pts win Smoothtalkinrascal @ 8/1 (Bet365) David O'Meara's runner is a progressive type and being a 3yo gets a weight for age allowance here. He also looks potentially well drawn in 18 and conditions should suit with the ground in reasonable condition and a sharp 5f. He can be considered an unfortunate 2nd in the Epsom dash when last seen, rattling home from an uncompromising position and so long as he finds the splits today, should be going close for all this is a step up in class. Prior to that run he got his head in front at York from a subsequent winner on ground likely too soft for him so it was a good effort and he just looks a speedy type going the right way. 8/1 is fair with conditions to suit and with further progress in him, he looks weighted to hold a big chance here.

Re: Racing For Rupert 4.15 Goodwood - 3pts win Grecian @ 5/1 (VC) Paul Cole's runner went down as a big eyecatcher when last seen at Ascot. He took a really keen hold under Jimmy Fortune but still had the energy to finish well into a closing 2nd at the finish and looks like he has conditions spot on today. The big field and speedy course should really suit and hopefully help him to settle and looks well drawn here in stall 17. Jim Crowley takes over in the saddle which is a positive for me and I just feel everything is spot on for him today. Hopefully there's plenty more still to come on just his third start and so long as he can get a bit of cover and the splits, I feel he could take the beating this afternoon.

Re: Racing For Rupert 3.15 Goodwood - 2pts win Hot Snap @ 7/1 (Bet365) Lady Cecil's runner stormed into the notebooks of many when running away with the Nell Gwyn on her second start. Although she may have been flattered that day, she still beat the subsequent 1000 Guineas winner (reopposes here) and other smart types including Winning Express. She came home really well and was forging further clear at the finish, showing her potential stamina for further (went quick up front). That run, expectedly made her favourite for the Newmarket classic but she couldn't justify her market position, coming home in 9th. Wasn't beaten all that far though (less than 6l) and the experience might have just come too soon and on ground lively enough for her. The bits of rain we've had this week should suit and she's been freshened up since. The way she won the Nell Gwyn on her first run of the season bodes well for returning from a break this afternoon and is worth another chance upped in trip which shouldn't be an issue - whereas you'd have to have some sort of concern regarding Sky Lantern over the extra yardage.

Re: Racing For Rupert 3.50 Goodwood - 2pts win Ninjago @ 11/1 (Bet365) You're not going far wrong with Hughes and Hannon at Goodwood this week and they must have a serious chance if getting the luck in the Stewards Cup. Their runner tends to come with a strong late run so will need gaps but if he does from his central stall I think he'll go very well. He needs a good gallop and the downhill track will suit his running style I believe. The slightly easier ground can help as well as the leaders haven't been coming back as much on the rattling fast ground of late but this week at Goodwood have seen the sprints regularly go to closers so if Hughes can get him into a decent position then I expect him to be coming home well and the 3yo can go close.