** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Norwich City v Arsenal > Oct 20

Re: Norwich City v Arsenal > Oct 20

:lol there always seems to be an overreaction when Arsenal play well, or lose. If their winning, they're going to win the league. If they lose, it's a catastrophe. They're doomed. Worrying times etc.... I wouldn't say the international break resulted in tiredness. More that Norwich were allowed time to regroup and plan for this one game, while Arsenal were allowed time to complacently view them as an easy three points. They would have looked at the way Chelsea and Liverpool took Norwich apart and thought of the tie as an easy three points. I don't think tiredness comes into it at all as these players are all athletes. They're the fittest of the fittest. But after an international break, we always see the old cliche of how it will "effect" the players physically. I think there's more to it than that, and for a lot of the players it's not like they've had to climb Mount Everest one week, and then run a 30k marathon at the weekend. A lot of these players will have had an easier game than playing in the Premier League.
The first part of this is certainly true jase!! The knee jerkiness seems to be more extreme with arsenal than most. Not sure about the tiredness factor though.... Travelling in itself can be tiresome

There has been plenty of evidence. Wasn't it after the heroics in Inter' date=' than Spurs lost 1-0 at home to Wigan that weekend, with Wigan at the foot of the table? There have been plenty of cases of teams playing crap after a champions league game, international week etc.[/quote'] Tbh I've been around long enough to understand this is one of those over used punter cliches. Your sweeping case data includes one game. A game between Spurs and Wigan where Spurs are renowned for losing games one nil after battering their opponent. That's no different to their draws against Norwich and West Brom this season when they were expected to win. I'm not saying there are aren't cases where you could look at the fact a side have travelled prior to the current game, I'm just saying the case data supporting this is weak to non existent, and the basis of the argument stems from a time when travelling to and from games was much much harder on the players and coaching staff.

Tbh I've been around long enough to understand this is one of those over used punter cliches.
mate i do not think thats a cliche at all , there are so many examples and it is not just do to heavy legs but to not proper frame of mind ....it is quite diferent to train through the week preparing one match than just arrive 2 days be4 match day ... also probably autumn is way harsher for big guns after NT summer competition .... players fitness is supouse to reach peak march onwards ... here in la liga both barsa and real look lacking that spark even if they still beat easily most oponents

Think he's obviously saying why should Arsenal be affected by it more than let's say Chelsea' date=' United, Liverpool? If anything they've had even more rest than those teams playing a late game as well![/quote'] Chelsea conceded 2 goals, United conceded 2 goals at home to Stoke, Liverpool were rubbish against Reading.

Arsenal only had three players play both games over the international break. The rest had extended time off. Show me extensive case data in support of the notion that the international break severely effects the team unit as a whole and I'll change my mind happily :)

Arsenal only had three players play both games over the international break. The rest had extended time off. Show me extensive case data in support of the notion that the international break severely effects the team unit as a whole and I'll change my mind happily :)
I never said the international weekend was the reason for Arsenal losing. I actually said there was no excuse for Arsenals result if you read my post. What i did say is that international weeks do tire out players that have to play the following weekend, that was my only argument. I fully agree that Arsenal have no excuse for their loss to Norwich.

:Lol You assumed the second part of my first post was in direct response to yours... It wasn't. It was a general comment about international breaks and their perceived influence on league football. I respect your opinion either way, just putting things into perspective as I can see this causing much over reactionary debate leading into next week.

Re: Norwich City v Arsenal > Oct 20 Chelsea and United faced better opposition though. Chelsea were away to Spurs, a team bang in form. Stoke are tough opposition for any team on their day. Did Liverpool really play that badly? Or could just just not find the net? Internationals are not ideal, but it can't be used as an excuse for Arsenal's poor performance given that the the teams I've named all managed to win. I've not even mentioned City, who while scraping a win against West Brom did so with 10 men.

Re: Norwich City v Arsenal > Oct 20 Just watched this game again there, Norwich really deserved the 3 points.... The loss of Rvp is so massive. Song too. Diaby makes a difference but not convinced he's that consistent and obviously they will improve for having wilshere back.Giroud/podolski have a lot of convincing to do.

Re: Norwich City v Arsenal > Oct 20 Hi All, Arsenal losing to Norwich. These things can't be explained. Sometime it's just not your day, the team is flat, the bounce of the ball does'nt go your way. You ask a top manager to explain it and they probably can't. Jose Mourinho had it with RMadrid at the beginning of the season. His answer was something like .... I wanted to put on 7 subs at half-time :) It's like playing poker, your aces get cracked and your king's lose to a 3 out flopped ace. Everything you touch turns to shiet. That happens, you get those lousy days prob 5 times in a year..... No team is immune to these days, they all have it during a season.... One point to be noted .... Compare Man United to Arsenal. Arsenal are a pretty good team, but the SQUAD is small, and their IMPACT subs not that EFFECTIVE. When the starters have a bad day there is not much Wenger can do to change things up. Ferguson has a choice at Man U. His attitude is ' we can't defend well, lets start with 3 strikers' (Ronney, van Persie, Hernadez last night). When things go bad he has big impact players ( Scholes against Saints, Giggs, Valencia, Nani), who can change things up, and actually has a very versatile squad. I was lucky enough to avoid the bet on this game. Neil.