** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Classic pokerstars

polo321

Re: Classic pokerstars

It's interesting how the online superstars turn out to be live superstars too. I'm thinking Durrrr (Tom Dwan)' date=' Isildur1 (Viktor Blom), Moorman1, (Chris Moorman). Recently I asked a guy who had won the PokerStars Sunday Million not once, but twice, if he approached online play differently. He laughed, asked me if I was one of those online conspiracy believers and said , no, he didn't play differently online.[/quote'] I wouldn't call any of those three live superstars. Play the game for 20 years live and still make money and your a superstar, those 3 dont have 20 years experience between them.

Lol ' date=' thinking about it seriously, im pretty sure i played online poker 1st time on a site called planet poker in 98/99 ish. Played it live before then, time flies im just showing my age!!! As for entraction, i heard a rumour there headquaters is being shutdown or something and they maybe disappearing.[/quote'] I started in 2000 and was pretty sure it was only going a couple of years back then, mind you I've been saying I've been playing online for 10 years for about 4 years now I might round it up to 20 years soon.

I wouldn't call any of those three live superstars.
Since Black Friday Chris Moorman has switched from almost exclusively online MTTs to mainly live play. In the space of 18 months he has amassed over $2.4 million in tournament winnings. Tom Dwan and Viktor Blom both made their names (and fortunes) playing online cash games at nosebleed stakes. According to Hendonmob.com they have won close to $3.7 million in live MTT tournaments, despite being primarily cash players. And you're not impressed?

Re: Classic pokerstars I think the definition of superstar is the problem here, Chris Moorman may be a brilliant poker player but if you announced on local radio he was down the pub no one would bother going. The other two became more household names simply because they were the nearest thing a true superstar(Phil Ivey) had to competition at the cash tables. If they was down the pub next to no one would recognise them. Ivey, Helmuth, the wee gurny Canadian, Devilfish andeven Victoria Coren are closer to live superstar status and they were all about before internet poker took off.

Re: Classic pokerstars The point I'm making is that the players who have been winning online are obviously good players, despite the theory that online poker rewards bad play. People like Chris Moorman approach both types of game the same. He doesn't make adjustments like folding AA when he reckons he's up against an opponent who's all in with 66. As he's played many more internet hands than most of us, then surely he would have noticed the anomolies, and would have had to adjust his calling/shoving ranges to remain a winning player. If the figures are to be believed then he would be happy to call an all in from a nit with A4o and just praying he's not up against A3.

To be honest the funiest thing about this thread is the fact OP is moaning about a beat in a freeroll on stars which probably had 5 bellion players in it. Seriously, to polo, ive been playing online poker for 20 years, yes there have been some dogy going ons on a few sites here and there over the years, those sites are soon found out and die. Pokerstars has been going many years and there are many software options out there to track absolutely every single hand, if it was rigged, it would of been exposed a long time ago. The biggest site in the world also has the most bad players (fish) and that is why every now and then youll get a "badbeat", not because the site is rigged, but because the varience has gone against you, its poker, it happens. Why do you think pokerstars is so busy? Ill tell you why, because most competant poker players over a large amount of play will come ahead of the bad players and make money. You played KJ in a freeroll and lost, get over it, learn to fold crap hands, read up a bit on starting hand odds, learn how to play. Theres a very old saying which always rings true. " If you can`t see the fish at the table...its you" Think about it. Jag
This... :clap

Re: Classic pokerstars ok this is the story i put 100 dollars into PS and manage over a couple weeks to grind it up to 750 my AA and my kk all held up same as my two pair and sets and the odd fullhouse.i played a conservative game nothing too wild just trying to get in with the best hand, pretty stantard stuff. Then i made a fatal mistake i withdraw all my funds for the upcoming Chelthenam festival to have nice bankroll to back the horses that i was tracking thru the year.in my naivaity i thought i could grind it back up deposited 100 lost it in two nights ,ok it is only variance my AA ND KK SMASHED flushes beaten by higher on the river and so on, deposit another 100 dollars tightened my game up played only jj or better .still every hand i played i mean every hand had the best it on the flop and get out drawn on the river.lost fifteen hands on the river in one night . ok this a downswing just got to stick with it, stuck in another 100 dollars the thought never accord to me that there was something wrong with site.really tightened up bet only when i thought i had the best of it but the runner runner kept coming this kind of situation kept cropping up numerous time( scruffy897)sb dealt 10 7 ---- bb AK FLOP 10 10 7 TURN A RIVER A can you honestly blame me for suspecting that there something wrong with the site. within a month a half i went from a winning payer to a uber fish nothing held up. so i trawled the internet to see if anyone else had this kind of experience and there are thousands upon thousands who have worse stories than me. Went on to other forums and the same pattern appears anyone who dare to question the interity of PS is automatically catorgrised as fish with no clue of strategy that they have no valid reason to hold that point of veiw.it easy to call someone a fish without knowing the full facts.i came across some very sad stories because of this site people losing marriages, houses, people grinding 12-14 hours a day chasing their loses. was watching a high stakes the other night sb raises bb calls flop A A 10 both players raise each other until all money is in the middle $43000 in the pot bb turns over AK sb turns 10 10 and just thought what a perfect set up.

Re: Classic pokerstars "was watching a high stakes the other night sb raises bb calls flop A A 10 both players raise each other until all money is in the middle $43000 in the pot bb turns over AK sb turns 10 10 and just thought what a perfect set up." And $3 was raked :) yep they totally made the $$$$$$ on that one :) You lost $200... ask how many times the massive grinders lose 80% and such in a week, yet for some reason they're not here whining about fix ups, I wonder why :)

Re: Classic pokerstars First hand in the WSOP A10 vs 10 10 on a A A 10 Board. The pro won the hand, surely the WSOP is not set up :-O. Seriousness though, you seem to be just going through one of those real cold periods and maybes when you got it upto $750 you were in a heater. Just gotta take it and continue I suppose :-/

ok this is the story i put 100 dollars into PS and manage over a couple weeks to grind it up to 750
' date='have any of you played the 1/2 2/4 3/6 limit tables they are disgrace more one outters ruunner runner flushs fullhouses over fullhouses[/quote'] I think the answer may be that you are playing at the wrong levels for your bankroll.

Re: Classic pokerstars It cannot possibly be that he's playing at the wrong levels or that he's playing bad hands out of position.... Occam's Razor baby... obvious answer is the correct one, ie poker is rigged :) There's been plenty of **** going down in recent years with scams from AB/UB and FT, not one of them though was about card fixing/card manipulation/however you wanna say it. AP/UB - Superuser accounts to see your cards. Fulltilt - Just thieving *******s

Re: Classic pokerstars I've changed my mind, poker is rigged... ***** Hand 2939945013 ***** 100.00/200.00 Texas Hold'em (No Limit ) Hand started: 20 September 2012 20:39:02 €500 GTD HEADHUNTER (Real /Tournament ) Seat 1: LB44 (3900.00) Seat 2: tightrthnu (3997.00) Seat 3: Vindrutan (5788.00) Seat 4: Don Max (4594.00) Seat 5: Nederlands (4892.00) Seat 6: (Empty) Seat 7: Ren-Farkle (11887.00) Seat 8: (Empty) Seat 9: born2die2 (2464.00) Seat 10: SpazzerPL (4466.00) Ren-Farkle is Dealer born2die2 post SB 100.00 SpazzerPL post BB 200.00 ** Deal ** LB44 [N/A, N/A] tightrthnu [N/A, N/A] Vindrutan [N/A, N/A] Don Max [N/A, N/A] Nederlands [N/A, N/A] Ren-Farkle [7h, 8h] born2die2 [N/A, N/A] SpazzerPL [N/A, N/A] *** Bet Round 1 *** LB44 Raise to 400.00 tightrthnu Fold Vindrutan Fold Don Max Fold Nederlands Call 400.00 Ren-Farkle Call 400.00 born2die2 Fold SpazzerPL Fold *** Flop(Board): *** : [Jd, 9c, 10s] *** Bet Round 2 *** LB44 Bet 1205.00 Nederlands Fold Ren-Farkle Raise to 5115.00 LB44 All-in 3500.00 *** Turn(Board): *** : [Jd, 9c, 10s, Kd] *** River(Board): *** : [Jd, 9c, 10s, Kd, Qd] *** Showdown *** : Rake: 0.00 Total Pot: 8500.00 LB44 [Ac, Jc] Ace high straight Win: 8500.00 Ren-Farkle [7h, 8h] Straight to the king Win: 0.00 Hand ended: 20 September 2012 20:40:24

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Re: Classic pokerstars I played a $50 heads up on Paddy Power last night. Got the opposition down to 375 (me 2625)............ I was then beaten in 3 hands!!!!! AQ (me) vs A7 - hit a 7 on the river KK vs 88 - Hit a flush on the river (4 hearts, he had 8 hearts) KQ vs K7 - Hit a 7 on the river. That was genuinely 3 hands in a row!!! I was obviously pi**ed off for a while but you have to put it down to variance... If i actually worked out the odds of being rivered 3 times in a row with those hands it would drive me mad!!! I had alsorts of conspiracy theories but nne make sense. That was Paddy Power and surely not all sites are bent!! Get your head down, work on your game and accept variance and you will become a better player!!!

I played a $50 heads up on Paddy Power last night. Got the opposition down to 375 (me 2625)............ I was then beaten in 3 hands!!!!! AQ (me) vs A7 - hit a 7 on the river KK vs 88 - Hit a flush on the river (4 hearts, he had 8 hearts) KQ vs K7 - Hit a 7 on the river. That was genuinely 3 hands in a row!!! I was obviously pi**ed off for a while but you have to put it down to variance... If i actually worked out the odds of being rivered 3 times in a row with those hands it would drive me mad!!! I had alsorts of conspiracy theories but nne make sense. That was Paddy Power and surely not all sites are bent!! Get your head down, work on your game and accept variance and you will become a better player!!!
$50 buyin, its variance, it's only the freerolls that are rigged.

• 1 month later...

Re: Classic pokerstars "so i trawled the internet to see if anyone else had this kind of experience and there are thousands upon thousands who have worse stories than me." Shock horror, people blame the poker rooms because they lose money. Never anything do to with the fact they SUCK AT POKER, no no, its always the poker rooms fault that they lose.

• 2 weeks later...

I played a $50 heads up on Paddy Power last night. Got the opposition down to 375 (me 2625)............ I was then beaten in 3 hands!!!!! AQ (me) vs A7 - hit a 7 on the river KK vs 88 - Hit a flush on the river (4 hearts, he had 8 hearts) KQ vs K7 - Hit a 7 on the river. That was genuinely 3 hands in a row!!! I was obviously pi**ed off for a while but you have to put it down to variance... If i actually worked out the odds of being rivered 3 times in a row with those hands it would drive me mad!!! I had alsorts of conspiracy theories but nne make sense. That was Paddy Power and surely not all sites are bent!! Get your head down, work on your game and accept variance and you will become a better player!!!
You ran bad in that you lost the three hands, but you also ran very well in that you picked up three monsters in a row heads up. 1.12% btw

• 1 month later...

Re: Classic pokerstars this is the best explanation i found about the reality of playing on pokerstars,that the variance argument doesn't stack up when the maths are compared to the true odds of event happening and the improbability of losing every hand you enter and i mean every hand that you have the best preflop best on the flop only to lose that runner runner flush that miracle one outer,that set he made on the turn, POKERSTARS IS BULL****E DO NOT PLAY THERE I've played a lot of poker. And I do mean a lot. I learned the game in my early teens and was making enough money in cash games by the time I hit College age to pay my own fees. Now, I became a responsible adult and was convinced by my now ex-wife to stop playing high stakes, so Poker became a friendly hobby for me - house games at $5/pot and such. Very occasionally, I'd still wander into the local Poker Room to have a twirl on the tables, and still generally made money. Then, the Poker Explosion happened, the various books came out, and the tables filled up with a variety of Bingo Donkeys, Big Hand Checkers and SuperSystem Addicts. The cash games (at the bankroll level I was willing to play - lower than before thanks to mortgage, kids, business, etc...) became exercises in maths, not as much fun and definitely not worth the effort. So, I cut back further. Eventually, after divorce, and finding myself with more free time of an evening but even less money than before, I decided to try my hand at Online Poker. Various sites were tried, and I settled on PokerStars, for a variety of reasons but the main one being the sheer number of people playing meant a Sit'N'Go was filled within minutes most of the time. I admit, I've done financially well out of the site over the last 8 years, relatively speaking. I play at the lowest few levels of SNGs, for the most part. I'm experienced enough to spot most players' range within a few hands, and I keep copious notes for future reference in any case. I generally play 2 or 3 hours at a time, up to 4 times a week, though I sometimes go through long periods of not having the time or the inclination. There has always been one major source of consternation for me - how the site allows any player to play an infinite number of tables simultaneously. As I say, I'm quite experienced, and can keep tabs on up to 8 tables at a time, although it does mean playing entirely to a system, not playing the other players but the maths. It's not particularly enjoyable to do this, however, so I usually restrict myself to 2 - 4 concurrent games. Yet, there are accounts which are regularly registered for 20+ tables. Indeed, when a new table opens, they will be the first to register - implying some form of macro or code running in the lobby. Their play reflects a "bot" mentality - limping for value, flat calling with rag Aces, shoving for next to no fold-value with anything like a Group 1 hand (or often just a pocket pair). These Multi-Table Shove Donkeys, as I refer to them in my own notes, clearly cannot be human-operated beyond setting parameters in a handling program. An enormous percentage of them (appr 85% in my estimation) come from Russia, or at least are registered as such. And their numbers have ballooned in the last year. They are not, however, as big a problem as the other group... These are what would in cash games be referred to as Dumb Gamblers. They flat call preflop with any 2 cards, and once they see a flop they wont fold anything like a hand - be it a two-outer undercarded straight, a runner-runner weak flush draw, bottom pair, any court, any two suited rags, a single overcard - to any bet. In other words, they play 10% chance hands 100% of the time.They never instigate a shove, but they always call them, regardless of their odds. AND THEY WIN appr 50% OF THE TIME IN A SHOWDOWN. Never mind the fact that they shouldn't have played their hand preflop, no sane person would call the bets they do on the flop. AND YET THE STILL WIN 50% of the time. For those of you who aren't good at maths, this is a contrary statistical result of 400%. In other words, a total fluke when it happens once, a sign that something is subverting the Laws of Probability when it happens with such regularity. This leads me to believe that these accounts are either: (a) Shills for PokerStars - or - (b) Using a code hack which allows them to see the Turn and River before they are revealed Personally, I'm inclined towards (a), despite the protestations of others that there is no reason for PokerStars to scam low-bankroll players. They run many thousands of Freerolls and Promotional Tourneys every month. The money has to come from somewhere. Although (b) is probably the more frightening scenario. Either way, their effect, combined with that of the MTSDs I discussed above, is to turn the game of Poker into a coin-toss every hand. If I wanted to gamble any amount of money on a coin-toss, I wouldn't bother paying somebody else for the privilege. I am closing my account as of today, when I played 11 single-table tourneys, never entered a hand without value, engaged in minimal bluffing, and yet took 47 beats by hands that were 13% or less against my cards at the point of the last bet, including pocket AA being beaten 3 times by rivered quads. Anybody who wants to see my Playing History for detail can contact me. GO BACK TO YOUR LOCAL POKER ROOM. At least there you can punch any cheats in the face.