One team strategy

Hello guys, I rarely post my views here (mainly because I think that I am far from being useful enough especially in the lower English leagues threads), but I do read the forum a lot. I have decided to try a new strategy, but I would appreciate your opinions because I can't really say for myself that I am a proper punter. I mean I like to bet, but I rarely bet a lot and thus I never really followed a strategy. Perhaps it won't be anything new what I am about to ask, but still I will do it :lol First let me tell you that although I am not native Brit I really enjoy following the lower English leagues, mainly League 2. For the new season I was planning to concentrate on one team from each division (League 2, League 1 and Championship) and play for them, against them, unders/overs btts etc. but specifically on only one team per league. For example I like Plymouth from League 2 and this would mean that every week before Saturday or whenever they play I will be spending time reading everything possible concerning Plymouth. Of course I will do a research to their opponents too and finally I will decide on what to put my money. And here is your part guys, I can identify few pros and cons but I need some more opinions whether it's worth doing and more importantly whether it can be profitable? Following just one team (or 3 in total) will allow me spend more time studying the teams closely, but on the other hand some weeks the fixtures are sooo unpredictable that you don't really know what type of bet to place. Moreover, if I concentrate on just one team per league then I might be missing value bets in other games. Any comments will be appreciated :)

Re: One team strategy You've sort of said that some games (if following one team) you won't know what to bet on. I would suggest that in those games you don't bet on anything. Obviously if following one team per league this will mean that you will have weeks were you've not placed any bets. Don't bet just for the sake of it - you proabably know that anyway. You won't win anything in those weeks but at least you won't lose any money either! Good luck anyway mate. Let me know how you get on.

• 3 weeks later...

Re: One team strategy Hi mtom and stho10978, I'm also going to go for the one team strategy but at a different angle. The amount of times i've been left frustrated with the usual '1 team letting me down' in an accumulator last season has lead me to decide to change my strategy for the coming season. I have now decided that i am going to increase my stakes and select just 1 team to bet on. First few weeks going to bet 2 points until i've got a good understanding of how teams play and how home and away form effects teams. And then i will be betting 4 points. With whatever profit i make i will place into a separate account and keep my stake for the next bet. I understand that some weeks there may be a freak result that means i will lose my stake but over the course of the season im hopeful of returning a healthy profit. Let me know your thoughts on this.

Re: One team strategy I'm also still learning the ropes, but if you do go down the one team road I'd suggest picking an unfancied side that will actually do well. I would imagine for example that following Wigan or West Brom last season you would have probably made a small amount. My Premier League hunch is that West Ham will finish in the top half and you could do worse than follow them. On the flip side betting against Liverpool and Arsenal has been profitable for me, because they are well-followed (with money and fans) big clubs who usually mess up on the road. I won't bet against the Gunners this coming season however, as I think their signings so far can only make them more competitive. You could choose Northampton from League 2 if you wanted to. :)

Re: One team strategy One of the things you probably need to look out for when choosing teams to bet on and follow are teams where results differ from what people (not just bookmakers but other punters) expect them be - you need to find are the teams that do unexpectedly well (or bad) compared to other people's expectations. Pretty obvious stuff really I suppose and also easier said then done!

• 2 weeks later...

Re: One team strategy I would make it a one-league strategy rather than one team, because betting has to do with odds, and you might choose a team that is priced in line with reality. To do well you have to be able to see how the market is overbuying or selling a particular team in a league (based on preseason expectations, usually), and it'll take a few weeks to work it all out.