Owner motivations

If you were an owner, would you rather have an honest, genuine horse, that usually gives its running but invariably goes off a short price because it normally has solid form claims, or would you rather plot a big gamble and base a whole season around one key race, when the handbrake is finally let off?

Re: Owner motivations If I could afford a horse , then it would be for pleasure . If i can manage to pull off a gamble at the same time then that would be a bonus. I guess you would need a minimum of £20,000 + to purchase a horse and pay for training fees and other associated costs for a season. It would be more prudent to gamble that £20K if your sole intention was to orchestrate a gamble.

Re: Owner motivations Definitely the 2nd one. A class 7 on the AW mid week with a load of duck eggs to its name wouldn't worry me in slightest if it did the job and i was on. I would call the horse Far Ted. Martin Harley would ride it and it would be trained by Mick Easterby.

Re: Owner motivations

Some join racing to make money. Some join racing to spend their money. Can't knock either of the type.
I think Harry Findlay ventured into ownership to make money but found out that more was going out than was going in . I think he was secretly happy he got banned , so he could use that as an excuse to sell off his horses and quit losing money. Only my opinion , of course.

Re: Owner motivations I would be a owner to enjoy the races. I would love to see the Progression and the Evolution of the horse. You can be a part of it and be involved since the first day. And the Experience that you gain can help you with your bets. You can see behind the curtain and get valuable insights.

Re: Owner motivations On the flat i would buy a 3yo sprinter rated about 75, plenty of years ahead and room for scope either way with a mark like that and put it with a trainer who runs them a lot, hate these types that have just 3 or 4 runs a year. Over the jumps i would buy a young pointer and dream of the Gold Cup and probably end up running in 3 mile chases at Stratford, which i wouldn't knock either and hopefully have it for a few years without injury. I'd put it with a small trainer like Chris Bealby who isn't far from me and possibly cheaper than the £500 a week which seems about the average! I wouldn't want the trainer to plot the horse but i do think targets are a good thing.

Re: Owner motivations We did this a couple of years ago with Middleham racing, they bought a share in Dhular Dhar (sp?) think they all put £100 in the pot and they found out it wasn't run very well at all. Only got about 2 or 3% of the horse i seem to remember, maybe someone involved can tell more?