RIP Fox Hunt

I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this on here but racing lost a talented staying prospect yesterday when Fox Hunt had to be put down at Meydan. He broke down in the Dubai Gold Cup, breaking a leg and tumbling to the floor, with the race abandoned soon after when it became obvious he wouldn't be getting back up and was laid in a dangerous position on the track for those still hoping to complete the second circuit. As it happened, there was another horse that had to be put down when the race was rearranged later on the card. I had a huge emotional attachment to Fox Hunt and would probably nominate him as my favourite horse of last year. He'd been running in France in the early parts of last year and I'd never really noticed him before his first run of the UK season at Newmarket. He bombed that day - like many of Johnston's he just didn't turn up and raced keenly - and I tried to chase my stake back next time out when he ran in a Listed race up at Hamilton. He was strongly backed that day but again got turned over. History shows that there was no shame in finishing fourth to subsequent Melbourne Cup second Red Cadeaux. However, those beatings helped create a price for him next time out at Epsom and he was around 16/1 with the firms the night before the race, even bigger on the Exchanges. The fitting of a first time visor and the booking of SDS worked the oracle for him that day as he booted on for home and repelled all raiders for a superb win, having been backed down to 8/1 at SP. I remember being sat in a curry house that day and checking the fast result on Sporting Life on my phone. I'd won the best part of a couple of grand having backed him as big as 20's and it was a major win for me. I even told the missus and didn't adopt the usual 10 x multiple that I normally do whenever I have a win (declare 1/10 of winnings!) - she caught me off guard and could tell by my face something big had happened! From there, Fox Hunt went on and won at Royal Ascot next time out. I was gutted not to back him - his wide draw and soft ground put me off but Fox Hunt was hard as nails and defied both to score in the Duke Of Edinburgh Stakes. Two beatings at York - one in the Ebor - either side of a flying-home fourth at Glorious Goodwood and it looked like he'd already taken in enough racing, but Johnston thought otherwise and sent him over to Germany, where he picked up the St Leger at Dortmund, again demonstrated terrific battling qualities to preveal on what was to all intents and purposes, a ploughed field. He came under pressure some way out, but his old pal SDS made sure he wasn't for passing in the finish. He failed to reverse Hamilton form with nemesis Red Cadeaux when seventh in the Melbourne Cup in November but ran a fine race and was staying on really well in the closing stages having been outpaced midway. Given a break and then moved on to Godolphin, he won twice at the Carnival before his ill-fated night. It was a sad end to his life when he was just starting out a new chapter for Godolphin. He'd already beaten Opinion Poll over 1m6f at the Carnival and even though Frankie had jumped off him yesterday to ride the latter, there was a strong opinion that it was because he knew Opinion Poll well already having won multiple Group races on him. Fox Hunt could have feasibly confirmed his last time out form with his stablemate under a pilot he knew all too well - SDS - and if he had, then he would have been automatically considered a strong contender for races like the Yorkshire Cup this season and maybe even the Ascot Gold Cup - given the lack of strength in depth in that division. RIP old boy and thanks for the memories.

Re: RIP Fox Hunt Well said Fin, it was very sad to see such a promising horse have his career ended so suddenly. Hats off to those involved in stopping the race quickly to reduce the suffering although apparently they don't feel the pain like we would?

Re: RIP Fox Hunt Great words Fin. It was terrible. Was sat in front of the box with the lad watching this and we both picked out Fox Hunt as the one in the race only to see this tragic accident. I love the sport so much but this sort of thing really saddens me. Echo what Graham says too, well done for stopping the race. RIP Fox Hunt.

Re: RIP Fox Hunt Fantastic piece Fin very well written and was a horse that would never owe me anything neither tough as nails and a real loss to the sport, but as others have said some very good stewarding etc. (Cheltenham/Wolves stewards take note in fact all courses!!) RIP Fox Hunt Also RIP Grand Vent (put down after re-run race) and Bronze Cannon (again put down in the re-run race) That race has to go down as a PR disaster for racing!