Tues: 2.05 Arkle Challenge Trophy

Re: Tues: 2.05 Arkle Challenge Trophy For the Arkle I am on Sprinter Sacre at 10s, I was waiting to get paid at the end of November to back him! Word was he was special and each interview I saw when asked Henderson just had a huge grin on his face. His third in the Supreme was a good one, especially as he pulled the whole way round. He beat nothing at Doncaster but his jumping looked good, and the way he dispatched Peddlers at the times looked class but Peddlers did wrap one early and had problems, even though I think SS has the beating of PC, that was not a true run from Peddlers. Now he is 5/2 I can see why people are looking elsewhere for value but to me he looks a real superstar.

Re: Tues: 2.05 Arkle Challenge Trophy I am on two here. Peddlers (6/1) and Cue Card (16/1) SS looks a real horse but I just feel Peddlers will finish at least a lot closer at Cheltenham as we now he loves battling up the hill and hopefully they've sorted the niggles from his last run. CC is a lively outsider but I'm still not sure about having Tizzard riding him. Arkle looks like being a cracker this year whatever

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Tues: 2.05 Arkle Challenge Trophy Me and Fintron have both taken Blackstairmountain ante post for the Arkle and it runs tomorrow in Ireland and looks to have just one major rival to beat. Currently a 14-1 chance, snipped in from 16's recently. Beat the well fancied Bog Warrior last time out but that one fell and beat 5 of the rivals it faces at Leopardstown. Peddlers now goes here without another run, Al Ferof could go for a race over further while Cue Card and Menorah are not good enough in my opinion. I could see this 2nd or 3rd fav on the day if it wins convincingly today and if the race breaks up in terms of runners. Grade 1 winner as a novice hurdler and decent attitude when asked a question last time out, Mullins yard are flying and you have to respect his runners at the festival. He could just have himself a live Arkle contender that many could have missed, the race will certainly be informative with regards its chances come March.

Re: Tues: 2.05 Arkle Challenge Trophy I don't get the point of mentioning Bog Warrior was in the race when he fell early on and played no part whatsoever? :$ Even if he was below form today I don't think he'd feature in the finish of any Arkle, not the type to finish strongly up the Cheltenham hill. I think his graded chase win flattered him hugely as well (as in it being a woeful grade one), he had the likes of Foildubh and Lucky William close behind him. Flemenstar looked awesome. Hoping Sprinter Sacre's in a different league though. Backed Cue Card at 20s in my thread a while back too.

Re: Tues: 2.05 Arkle Challenge Trophy

I don't get the point of mentioning Bog Warrior was in the race when he fell early on and played no part whatsoever? :$ Even if he was below form today I don't think he'd feature in the finish of any Arkle, not the type to finish strongly up the Cheltenham hill. I think his graded chase win flattered him hugely as well (as in it being a woeful grade one), he had the likes of Foildubh and Lucky William close behind him. Flemenstar looked awesome. Hoping Sprinter Sacre's in a different league though. Backed Cue Card at 20s in my thread a while back too.
I mentioned that it fell, I don't see your problem. :$ If I had bigged it up saying it had beaten Bog Warrior and not mentioned it falling then you'd have a point. I agree the race it won was a Grade 1 in name only, it was very poor, hence I wanted to see how it got on against Flemenstar. It jumped poorly, hated the ground and drifted like a barge before the off. Flemenstar was impressive, they are touting it as a future Gold Cup horse. Your Cue Card at 20's looks good, I wouldn't back it at the current price though. You seem to have a problem with a few of my posts recently, don't know what I've done wrong to piss you off so much. :sad

Re: Tues: 2.05 Arkle Challenge Trophy Haha sorry mate I've no problem with you at all probably just being a bit too blunt! Apologies if you took it the wrong way. You said he beat the well fancied bog warrior (I know you went on to say it fell), just thought it was pointless, but yeah no need for me to point it out really. As I said anyway, no problems with you mate. :ok

Haha sorry mate I've no problem with you at all probably just being a bit too blunt! Apologies if you took it the wrong way. You said he beat the well fancied bog warrior (I know you went on to say it fell), just thought it was pointless, but yeah no need for me to point it out really. As I said anyway, no problems with you mate. :ok
No worries. I have only mentioned it in relative terms of formlines. As it stands Bog Warrior was trimmed in the Arkle betting while Blackstairmountain went out after Sunday. I'd be interested to see Bog Warrior next time out as it was well fancied that day and ideally I wanted to see it lay down a challenge to BSM as the form of the race looks poor. Wonder what Pricewise has put up for the Arkle? I noticed Cue Card trimmed a point last night to 9's.

Re: Tues: 2.05 Arkle Challenge Trophy CUE CARD for the Arkle, 4th in last year Supreme, 7/4 in a top Cheltenham Chase and unseated (dont think it was the horses fault). Beaten by a nose by Bob Worth and given weight, both of those races were there abouts 2m4f. Won well LTO at Newbury 2m2f. He has the speed and jumps well, has won in cheltenham twice and i think he should be clear fav for this race. Fair play to those who took 20s thats some price i still think 9/1 is big. I dont know the stats on this race apart that fav's have bad record so delighted he not fav. I honestly think he'll win it, its just the 2 miles thats the worry.

Re: Tues: 2.05 Arkle Challenge Trophy I think he has gone from overrated to underrated and is a very good EW bet for the race. I was surprised Pricewise didn't go for him in the race ot be honest and would rather be on him than Menorah. To say he should be clear favourite for te race though is a vast over statement imo. I think Al Ferof wants further and 2m against class will find him out, Peddlers has a great shout but with his problems is hard to fancy heavily and although I am on SS, I would probably look for alternatives as well now at the prices. Tizzard is a massive worry though. Geraghty has said SS is one of the best, if not the best, horse he has sat on, and that SS is the most important horse in his future of being a jockey. Now he doesn't say things like this very often and you need to take note at comments like this. I was watching all the Cheltenham races back on RUK earlier and in the big races, you makes one mistake in your jumoing and you cannot recover. The Arkel this year will be no different, will be a brutal race and the one I am looking forward to the most at the Festival

Re: Tues: 2.05 Arkle Challenge Trophy Sprinter Sacre could turn out to be some horse, but at the moment he is just a hype horse and a hype horse in cheltenham is a friend to the bookies (Dunguib, Youllneverwakalone, Harchibald & even Medermit in this race last year to mention a few). I total agree that geraghty words should be taken serious but at 2/1 thats a crazy price. The last FAV to win this race was Azertyuiop in 2003 before that Klairon Davis 1995 and the form book is often a good guide to the race. I think Cue Card has the best form this year so far. APOLOGIES for the statment on the clear fav it was a bit overboard,(Only new and still learning) but i think cue card is the value or even Bog warrior at 16/1 if he turns up.

Re: Tues: 2.05 Arkle Challenge Trophy I was disappointed with Blackstairmountain's run in the Irish Arkle as, like Phil mentioned, Im on him too at 16/1. I haven't given up hope though, Ruby reported he didn't go on the ground and he never put him in the race in my opinion. a Grade 1 winner on good ground, he could have been written off completely now on the back of that run, I just hope that people pile into Sprinter Sacre and Peddlers on the day and send Blackstairs price out. The other thing that is interesting is that Henderson seemed to be panicing a bit the other day, that if certain meetings were abandoned, he'd have to rearrange plans for some of his festival hopes. In contrast, Blackstair has had his run now, and just needs to rest up until race day and get his mind on the job at hand. The stats boys will be against him given his last time out placing but, for me, I'll be looking for horses with a bit of class that act on good ground, and this one ticks those boxes. He didnt meet expectations over hurdles but could make up into a better chaser. I guess Paul Townend will take over from Ruby if the latter rides Al Ferof but that isn't such a bad thing for me. I've backed Peddlers too to lower stakes as I think he could outbattle Blackstair if it got down to the nitty gritty. Agree that this race looks an absolute belter and looking forward to this more than any other.

I was disappointed with Blackstairmountain's run in the Irish Arkle as, like Phil mentioned, Im on him too at 16/1. I haven't given up hope though, Ruby reported he didn't go on the ground and he never put him in the race in my opinion. a Grade 1 winner on good ground, he could have been written off completely now on the back of that run, I just hope that people pile into Sprinter Sacre and Peddlers on the day and send Blackstairs price out. The other thing that is interesting is that Henderson seemed to be panicing a bit the other day, that if certain meetings were abandoned, he'd have to rearrange plans for some of his festival hopes. In contrast, Blackstair has had his run now, and just needs to rest up until race day and get his mind on the job at hand. The stats boys will be against him given his last time out placing but, for me, I'll be looking for horses with a bit of class that act on good ground, and this one ticks those boxes. He didnt meet expectations over hurdles but could make up into a better chaser. I guess Paul Townend will take over from Ruby if the latter rides Al Ferof but that isn't such a bad thing for me. I've backed Peddlers too to lower stakes as I think he could outbattle Blackstair if it got down to the nitty gritty. Agree that this race looks an absolute belter and looking forward to this more than any other.
Informative race this afternoon at Naas with Bog Warrior and Blackstairmountain going head to head. When you consider Bog Warrior beat Flemenstar easily enough it looks hard to oppose Bog Warrior today if you compare formlines with BSM but hated the ground and didn't jump well at all. Already on BSM ante post, might actually back Bog Warrior ante post at the 16's available too.

Informative race this afternoon at Naas with Bog Warrior and Blackstairmountain going head to head. When you consider Bog Warrior beat Flemenstar easily enough it looks hard to oppose Bog Warrior today if you compare formlines with BSM but hated the ground and didn't jump well at all. Already on BSM ante post' date=' might actually back Bog Warrior ante post at the 16's available too.[/quote'] BSM now a non runner and Bog Warrior now a 1-7 chance in this race. :( Taken the 16's ante post for a small ew bet.

Re: Tues: 2.05 Arkle Challenge Trophy Think this is shaping up as the race i'm most looking forward too! Backed Sprinter Sacre and Al Ferof e/w @ 10's months ago but i think there's a lot in with a chance here and this should be a belter of a race! At the current prices i think i'm most interested in Cue Card and menorah and i might save on them on the day! Although i think Peddlers cross will get closer to SS second time around, i think he's too short in the market currently for me to want to back him! Friday's clash of SS and CC could prove interesting too!

Re: Tues: 2.05 Arkle Challenge Trophy Have spent the last week or so going round and round about the Arkle. Here are my initial thoughts on the horses at the head of the market. Sprinter Sacre Hammered Peddlers Cross at Kempton by 16lengths although that was Peddlers first time going right handed. Has only had 2 chase wins and he is too short for me at 5/2 on that basis. I'm also not too sure if he got up the hill at the Supreme Novices last year. I could be wrong and he could be a wonder horse but im happy to take that chance at the prices. Peddlers Cross Can't argue with his festival form but on his last showing was put in his place by Sprinter Sacre (although as I say it was his first time going RH and didn't look at his best that day). Would be nice to see him again before the festival to see if that was just a bad day at the office. Unless that happens I will probably look elsewhere. Would be very surprised if he was that far behind Sprinter Sacre again and could IMO even turn the tables on him but still would like to see evidence that the horse is back in some sort of form. Al Ferof Another horse who impressed at the festival last year. His win in the Supreme Novices was eye catching to say the least. Like Peddlers he was disappointing LTO which probably explains the 11/2 available. I think his run in the Victor Chandler was less of a negative than Peddlers run at Kempton. He wasn't that far behind 2 much more experienced chasers and i'm prepared to excuse that run. I think he thrives in a big field with a strong pace and as long as his jumping holds up which hasn't been too much of a problem I think he can go close. Cue Card Really not sure about this horse. Beat For Non Stop by 4L which would suggest he is as good if not better than Al Ferof but again not sure about his festival run last year. Riding tactics are also a question mark as he likes to make all and front runners have a poor record in the Arkle. If there is enough pace in the race they might switch the tactics in which case I think he has a chance based on the formline with For Non Stop. If he gets a run before the festival would be interesting to see how they run him although a lot depends on the opposition. Menorah Jumping needs to improve significantly and for that reason I will look to oppose. Loves Cheltenham so he could play a blinder win the race and leave me scratching my head looking at his course form and wondering why I didn't back him but think he is just as likely to jump badly and give himself too much to do. Anyone got any other thoughts on these or any other likely additions to the line up?

Re: Tues: 2.05 Arkle Challenge Trophy i fancy menorah e/way for the arkle At the current prices MENORAH is the one I’m interested in. The one thing that strikes me about his Chasing career to date is the fact he is crying out for a faster pace and a larger field. To date he has run in 4 chases and each time he has only faced 2 other opponents. On each run he has made jumping errors which to my mind have been caused by lack of concentration, which in turn have been caused by the small fields. If we look at his hurdle and bumper record we can see he enjoyed running in larger fields, with his record in fields of 9 or more (the Arkle should get at least 9 runners) reading 1-1-2-2-1-2-1-1-5. His engine still looks well intact and Philip Hobbs has stated that the Arkle Chase is still firmly his festival target. MENORAH comes with plenty risk attached but that is factored into the price and I do feel a return to Cheltenham with more horses around him and a faster pace will see him improve.

i fancy menorah e/way for the arkle At the current prices MENORAH is the one I’m interested in. The one thing that strikes me about his Chasing career to date is the fact he is crying out for a faster pace and a larger field. To date he has run in 4 chases and each time he has only faced 2 other opponents. On each run he has made jumping errors which to my mind have been caused by lack of concentration, which in turn have been caused by the small fields. If we look at his hurdle and bumper record we can see he enjoyed running in larger fields, with his record in fields of 9 or more (the Arkle should get at least 9 runners) reading 1-1-2-2-1-2-1-1-5. His engine still looks well intact and Philip Hobbs has stated that the Arkle Chase is still firmly his festival target. MENORAH comes with plenty risk attached but that is factored into the price and I do feel a return to Cheltenham with more horses around him and a faster pace will see him improve.
I think it definitely has the engine and the class to win the race. Obvious doubts about it's jumping but that's what we were all saying about Long Run not long ago before it hacked up in the King George and followed up with the Gold Cup.

Re: Tues: 2.05 Arkle Challenge Trophy With Cue Card now withdrawing from tomorrow's Newbury card due to taking a knock, that has ended my interest in the horse! No prep run and a horse that isn't definitely 100% wound up at Cheltenham is a lay all day long in my book! If it's still a single figure price on the day (currently 8/9's) i will be laying Cue Card!

Re: Tues: 2.05 Arkle Challenge Trophy wonder if there could be a horse that hasnt been on the radar just yet. Nicholls has Chepstow scorer Cristal Bonus running at Sandown this coming friday and is entered for 2 races at the festival. This french import has only 1 race under its belt for Nicholls but did race for Evan Williams twice at Cheltenham including a 35L 7th behind Grand Crus in the cleeve hurdle. Deffo gets further than the 2m which helps but Nicholls may be tempted by the longer distance race at the festival. the trend for the race points towards 2nd or 3rds in the betting whoch are Al Ferof and Peddlars Cross and we have seen plenty of discussion for those 2 on here. Sprinter Sacre could be another freak we see at an early age sweep up the best prizes however Cheltenham fences are more dificult and one mistake is costly.

wonder if there could be a horse that hasnt been on the radar just yet. Nicholls has Chepstow scorer Cristal Bonus running at Sandown this coming friday and is entered for 2 races at the festival. This french import has only 1 race under its belt for Nicholls but did race for Evan Williams twice at Cheltenham including a 35L 7th behind Grand Crus in the cleeve hurdle. Deffo gets further than the 2m which helps but Nicholls may be tempted by the longer distance race at the festival. the trend for the race points towards 2nd or 3rds in the betting whoch are Al Ferof and Peddlars Cross and we have seen plenty of discussion for those 2 on here. Sprinter Sacre could be another freak we see at an early age sweep up the best prizes however Cheltenham fences are more dificult and one mistake is costly.
I'm keeping an eye out for Cristal Bonus, noticed it before it won last time out and wanted to see how it got on. Would be a big ask to go and win the Arkle but not without a chance. We are in danger of just picking Sprinter Sacre as it's the most obvious winner here and forgetting all about value but then the other side of the coin is trying to find something to oppose it due to the price when it looks like a machine and the race might be better just left alone unless you already have SS as an ante post bet.

Re: Tues: 2.05 Arkle Challenge Trophy its available at 66's so i expect they will go for the longer trip rather than the arkle Phil, i agree with you on SS and i am not sure if i will have a bet unless the trends point me to some value in the race. As i said SS could be an absolute freak, and win everything before him in the next few years. Next years champion chase vs Sizing eurpe and Big zeb is already a mouthwatering prospect unless they go further with SS

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Tues: 2.05 Arkle Challenge Trophy a couple of snippets, the RP rating of 172 would have been enough to win the last 11 arkles ! however, SS comes there with no Grade 1 win to its name I wouldnt put anyone off it to be honest but it will come down to jumping i feel as speed jumping round here isnt easy. If i was in opoosition, i wouldnt take it on but sit in behind and make use of any errors.