** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

The Breeders Cup - USA

Anybody any thoughts ? Its not really a meeting i,ve ever took much notice in and if am honest never had much luck at. I have in the past followed a few over and got stuck into, this time around i think Strong Suit could turn out pretty smart. He sure seems to look better and better each race but i always fear the travel over can get to them. However Mr Hannon and Sir Richard Hughes both think a great deal of him and Richard Hughes has said in the past : The Breeders cup Mile is tailor made for him. I thought the 5/1 on offer a while back was pretty good, even now the 3/1 could look a fancy price after the race. I understand Goldikova will be all the rage but she might just set up the race for Strong Suit, after all she's a horse that Mr Hannon and Richard Hughes have been up-against a few times. They both know how by now how to beat her. With a week to go any views ? I felt Strong Suit's last run at HQ was a touch tasty, ok be it over the 7 but he wasn't asked much. http://horses.sportinglife.com/Video/Racing/0,27770,460206,00.html

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: The Breeders Cup - USA I can't wait for the Breeders Cup to start tomorrow. Had my biggest ever single bet at the Breeders Cup on Conduit...Happy Days! Bob Baffert was on ATR earlier and he sounded pretty confident on the chances of both Secret Circle and Plum Pretty tomorrow. What are peoples thoughts on Stacelita tomorrow? I want to have a nice bet on the horse but was hoping to get a few of your thoughts first? I don't think Misty for Me will be good enough even though she hammered Midday in the Pretty Polly. I don't see Stacelita getting beaten by any of the American horses which just leaves Nahrain and Announce. Roger Varian has been very bullish over Nahrain but they showed a clip last night of Nahrain refusing to work. She just planted herself and refused to move and they said she hasn't be herself since travelling over so that is enough to put me off her. That just leaves Announce. I don't really have any reasons for opposing her but I just feel Stacelita has improved since going to America. She has looked extremely impressive in her last 2 grade 1 wins and I think she is going to be very tough to beat here!

Re: The Breeders Cup - USA I like the chances of Sarafina on Saturday. 5/2 is fairly short but will probably stick her in a multiple. Goldikova with her perhaps. I think I've been against So You Think on virtually every run of his in the UK but I reckon 5/1 is an each-way bet to nothing imo. Can't see him out of the first three.

Re: The Breeders Cup - USA Starting to think it might be worth place-laying Strong Suit and backing Goldikova at 7/4. Losing out to Dream Ahead and Canford Cliffs by small margins and beaten by Immortal Verse on ground she doesn't go best on is still top class form whereas Strong Suit's is suspect, no matter how comfortably he won. You'd expect Goldikova to've done the same. He's also never won overseas and didn't travel well to France when third behind Mutual Trust. The Classic is one to stay away from, no matter how much I want SYT to win.

Re: The Breeders Cup - USA I never have any confidence betting at this meeting - all of the horses are smacked up to their eyeballs on Lasix, I'd love it if the non-cheats mopped up but it seems plenty of the Europeans have got their charges on the magic juice too. In the Marathon I thought Meeznah, for all he's proven over the trip, might be worth taking on, as he's yet to run on dirt. The Europeans won this race when it was on polytrack at Santa Anita but when it reverted back to dirt last season Eldaafer won. He is 12/1 to retain his crown, which seems overpriced in my opinion, although there are some interesting opponents. A. U Miner met with trouble in this race last year (fisticuffs noted between jockeys after the race lol). Birdrun could go well from a handy position while Cease, who clocked a good speed figure when winning at Saratoga in August, could be interesting if he could reproduce that form over this longer trip. In the Juvenile Turf British raider Caspar Netscher is upped in trip and it was Finale that caught my eye. Owned by Tabor, Magnier and Smith yet trained by Todd Pletcher. Has taken a step up to 1m in his stride the last twice when winning at Monmouth and then Woodbine the last twice. He does step up in grade now but, progressive and 3-3 on turf, there could be more to come. In the Breeders Cup Turf I'd like Sarafina to win simply cos she isn't juiced up like the rest but I guess she'd prefer softer ground so aren't backing. In the Breeders Cup Mile I'm wanting to take on Goldikova, won produced a nice burst to win from midfield last year but hasn't looked the force of old this year and arrives looking beatable. Turallure showed a very nice burst to score at Woodbine last time and looks big at 14/1 IMO, assuming he's put in the race and not given too much ground to make up rounding the home bend as the straight doesnt seem that long. Julien Leparoux knows how to ride Churchill Downs though so hopeful.

Re: The Breeders Cup - USA 8-10 juvenile sprint i like holden bullets in this race he was due to run at royal ascot but didnt run but went to keenland on the pollytrack and won well on only start the form of that race as worked out very well as some of the others he beat that day have gone on to win races.should be suited by the distance of this race and bred for dirt sure to improve for the experience i will take him e/way at 14/1 @ w/hill 8-50 juvenile fillies turf somali lemonade unbeaten and seems to be improving fits the profile of past winners and may well be up to winning in this competitive field on her debut she came wide off the turn from last to first to go past the field in a 7 furlong maiden then did the same winning a grade 3 over 8 and half furlongs on yeilding ground,local fillies have won all 3 runnings of this race to date and 7 of the 8 europeans ran un-placed,so the last 3 us fillies who had previously won on turf over further than a mile and never scored over less than 7f, somali lemonade is the only entry who fits this profile - 4/1 @ w/hill

Re: The Breeders Cup - USA

What we looking for in our bets? I have no idea of the form involved and will end up backing most European horses which in reality they won't all run well or win - so it's a pointless excerise. Anyone know of any decent American tipsters?
I wouldn't claim to be a decent American tipster myself but I read the American form every day on Equibase and can try help you understand the American Racecards if you'd like to have a go yourself? I'll attach a screenshot below that I've tried to label and give a brief explanation

Re: The Breeders Cup - USA BTW, you can download US form for the Breeders Cup meeting free from the ATR site, usually its $1.50 per meeting on Equibase. I've posted a screenshot in the link below (sorry, couldn't work out how to post it directly below!!) http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/830/usform.jpg/ The key is is follows (hope the red highlighted bits come out) 1) The '1' refers to this being the first race on the card and the map to the right tells you the distance and direction they're racing in. It will say turf up here if they are racing on turf. 2) '1' is the saddlecloth number of the horse. 5-1 is the 'morning line' odds which are similar to our press betting forecasts. 3) The horse name, 'AL' refers to the medication he is taking, in this case 'lasix' combinbed with 'adjunct med'. Below the horse name is its colour and sex, followed by breeding and stallion siring fee (2,500 dollars). 4) Race date, course and distance. The Americans have a lot of distances around a mile, like 1m 70 yards, which are collectively termed 'a route'. The most recent race is at the top. 5) Stk means 'stakes' race and there are other types of races such as claimers, allowance races and here Grade I, II and III races will be listed, following by the race value. the Column in the black box is speed figures for each run. 6) These numbers show the horses position throughout set positions in the race. the first number shows their position in the field and the superfixed number tells you the lengths off the leader. The number on the far right shows where they finished and how far off the winner. The weight is listed above in the big black figure. 7) This shows the horses the finished in the first places. Any horses reopposing in the same race are bolded up 8) A brief form comment of how the horse ran. The figures above show how much the horse cost and theres a bit more breeding info. 9) These show the career stats for the horse, telling how many runs, 1sts, 2nds and 3rds in 2011, 2010, over this distance and over this track 'CD' (CD refers to Churchill Downs not course and distance as in the UK). The number in the black box shows the best speed figures recorded under those conditions. They show the prize money won under each conditions and then to the right are stats over particular going - dirt, wet dirt, turf or wet turf etc. Most of it is self explanatory, get youself stuck in and have a blast at it. I was a bit daunted by it at first but its a good bit of fun. On the Equibase site they show a speed figure summary for each meeting and also have a jockeys and trainers stats page that is useful. 8)

Re: The Breeders Cup - USA

The turf track was 'good to firm' a couple of days ago, now it's 'yielding I expect that's the reason for the drift ?
Another possible reason is that, because of that same rain, several European horses, including Strong Suit, missed work earlier in the week when the turf track was shut. They were offered the dirt track as an alternative but declined the offer.