** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Barry Hills Appreciation Thread!!

Just want to say a thank you to Barry Hills for his services to the sport! fantastic trainer and i wish him the best of luck in his retirement and hope he does not suffer too much from his illnesses!! I remember when i first started gambling, one of my first ever winners was a debutant trained by him called Killybegs, i remember having a 5er on it at 14/1... Hats off to you Barry, you will be missed! :clap

Re: Barry Hills Appreciation Thread!! Yes, he's been a cracking trainer over the years...........one of those ever presents during the time I've followed the sport with Cecil, Stoute, Dunlop etc I'm sure it's well known to everyone but he got his start in training by winning enough money in a huge gamble to buy his own yard...........:ok

Re: Barry Hills Appreciation Thread!! The son of a stable head lad, Barry Hills’ fascinating story charts how he rose to be one of the leading trainers of all time. He placed a shrewd bet on a horse called Frankincense in the 1968 Lincoln race, the winnings of which were enough to set himself up with his own training yard in Lambourn. In many ways this is a social history of our times; how the son of a stable lad managed to quickly establish his owner-base from amongst the turf establishment and aristocracy which even in the sixties was still riddled in the old class consciousness of pre-war society

Re: Barry Hills Appreciation Thread!! A top trainer with decent horses year in year out. Also his sons Michael and Richard are absolutely outstanding top class jockeys. One of my favourites of his was one called Further Flight. A very good stayer during the 80s / 90s . I remember having a monster bet on him in the Cesarawitch about 20 tears ago but came second , however i got it all back plus more when he won the Jockey Club Stakes on numerous occassions. He was even winning as a 12 year old.

Re: Barry Hills Appreciation Thread!!

Also his sons Michael and Richard are absolutely outstanding top class jockeys.
Can I have some of what you've been smoking? ;) Richard Hills is the opposite of a claimer, it's like carrying a 6lb penalty when he's on board. Tazahum ran a blinder and with a stronger jockey would have been closer to the winner, he's dreadful. Miserable tw@t too. :(

Re: Barry Hills Appreciation Thread!! Michael and Richard have more big race wins between them than probably the top 20 jockeys combined . Probably only L Dettori and K Fallon have more. Hanagan and De Souza have recently had more winners but they are nowhere near in the same league as the Hills twins in terms of accomplishments. But saying that i genuinely believe that one day Hanagan and de Souza will one day become top class riders.

Re: Barry Hills Appreciation Thread!! The brothers are absolutely shocking jockeys. Regardless of race wins (easy when you're on board the good ones), they don't even compare - ability wise - to the likes of Hanagan or De Sousa. Dale Swift is only an inexperienced 3lb claimer and he's way better than them at this point in time. Accomplishments aren't a true reflection of ability.

Hi Bowles' date=' new trainers love to get off to a flying start (e.g. Varian + Dalgleish).. Think Charlie Hills is a man to follow for the next few weeks?????[/quote'] yeah for sure, but it is strange that jocks/trainers often win with thier 1st horse out or back after a long lay off etc i reckon you could make a few quid when these occur or is it just the fact that some do and these are highlighted Good luck to him hopefully

Just saw this trainer Jo Hughes today... Had his first two runners at Hereford and the first one was 2nd @ 22/1 and the other one won @ 4/1.... Anyone know anything about him??? Have not seen him about before
Had a horse win first time out at Chepstow this year i think, big price, was it Pat's Legacy off the top of my head? Not sure.

Had a horse win first time out at Chepstow this year i think' date=' big price, was it Pat's Legacy off the top of my head? Not sure.[/quote'] Yeah, had raced in the USA in claimers over there, had one run over here then came back off a break and won nicely. I thought it was a woman too, quite sure she's married to someone who was banned a couple of years ago down in Lambourn. May have got the wrong end of the stick completely though :lol

Just saw this trainer Jo Hughes today... Had his first two runners at Hereford and the first one was 2nd @ 22/1 and the other one won @ 4/1.... Anyone know anything about him??? Have not seen him about before
Twice disqualified trainer Paul Blockley has just ended his ban. He is quoted as saying something like somebody setting up as a trainer today must be mad. At the same time of ban expiry his partner sets up as a trainer. Jo Hughes is the new training name of Paul Blockley. Zafisio won a Gr1 on Blockleys final start before moving to other trainers. He reappeared under Jo Hughes tutelage in the Gr1 Juddmonte last week.

yeah for sure, but it is strange that jocks/trainers often win with thier 1st horse out or back after a long lay off etc i reckon you could make a few quid when these occur or is it just the fact that some do and these are highlighted Good luck to him hopefully
Definately you can make a few quid regardless of form. I recall L Dettori winning his comeback ride for D Nicholls after his plane crash. More recently W Davies and T Scudamore after injuries.

Re: Barry Hills Appreciation Thread!! When trainers/jockeys have their retirement rides they strangely win more often than not.Did Barry Hills's final runner benefit from the favourite going wide allowing a wide passage for him to end with a win ? Anyone recall A Dobbins retirement ride ? He was beat on the odds on favourite Ballyvoge but the jockey in front virtually pulled his mount up to allow the dream retirement win.Judge for yourself it was very recently. I think there is an unwitten rule to let retiring rides win.

When trainers/jockeys have their retirement rides they strangely win more often than not.Did Barry Hills's final runner benefit from the favourite going wide allowing a wide passage for him to end with a win ? Anyone recall A Dobbins retirement ride ? He was beat on the odds on favourite Ballyvoge but the jockey in front virtually pulled his mount up to allow the dream retirement win.Judge for yourself it was very recently. I think there is an unwitten rule to let retiring rides win.
from google: Big-name jockeys have a good record on their comeback rides of late. Frankie Dettori, Dean Gallagher, and before them Declan Murphy, were all successful when making a return to the saddle after lengthy absences. fallon after his ban Hayley turner after her injury two more that spring to mind, not sure if they won or not though but seem to recall it Richard Quinn may have been another

from google: Big-name jockeys have a good record on their comeback rides of late. Frankie Dettori, Dean Gallagher, and before them Declan Murphy, were all successful when making a return to the saddle after lengthy absences. fallon after his ban Hayley turner after her injury two more that spring to mind, not sure if they won or not though but seem to recall it Richard Quinn may have been another
Didnt Daryl Holland go out of action for a while and came back with a bang??? Had winners all over the place for a few weeks

You mention Declan Murphy , what an absolute con job !!!! Why did people lump on a week before the actual race ? His mount was Jibereen in a Flat vs Jump Jockeys race. How often do you see ante post betting in a class D or E or F ? handicap ? It was totally fixed in order to give him a fairytale comeback ride. I know it was 20 years ago but it still iritates me when i think about it.