pair of cards to play

Bruise Pristene

Re: pair of cards to play Q7 offsuit is my favourite hand. :rollin It depends on many things from chip count to position to the behaviour of the table though, sorry to be of little help. You may find starting hand tables on the net somewhere, but experience and feel are the only real ways of making hand selections. It's another area of no hard fast rules, just try not to get tied to hands that look better than they are, medium pocket pairs, suited cards etc.

Re: pair of cards to play Bruce : check out sklanskys book "hold em poker". It has all the hands ranked in a chart to give some idea of where they all relate to each other. The absolute best (premium) hands to be dealt are AA,KK,QQ and AKs in that order - most players like to raise with these holdings preflop and then see where they stand afterwards. I would recommend if you can get in CHEAPLY (dont go flat calling massive raises with middleish hands - only if there hasnt been a raise or just a small one preflop) playing suited connectors (hands like 67s 910s 45s etc) and pairs all the time - with these hands you are looking to hit something good on the flop or fold. If you play "big" cards (hands like KQ K10 etc) be aware that in hold em poker all the money flows to the hands with the biggest kickers in the long run. Thus I would not play Q7 usually as if you make a pair of Queens, your kicker is only a 7 and anyone else with a pair of queens will probably beat you. PLaying AQ is a lot more of a better idea as if you make a pair of Queens, you will beat anyone else holding a Q ;) Dont fall into the trap of playing any two cards of the same suit like a lot of newbies and dont play "big" cards like QJ K10 to a raise (except in the case of AK really) Jez

Re: pair of cards to play cheers for reply Jezza, is that a book you reffered to or a thread on here or site etc (about hands to play) I came 5th in my next 2 tournament so back to original money. Can i just ask why it is bad to play if you have something like 3H9H? I've been playing these as I thought its good to play for a flush as its a high hand I also keep getting a lot of hands like 4C5H, and never know whether to play these to try for a straight Am I right in thinking based on the strategies you mentioned, that you probably play only 1 in about 5 or 6 hands and fold most other times ? (obviously depending on position, and bets b4)

Re: pair of cards to play Hi bruce It's a book by david sklanksky - to be honest like all his stuff it is very dry to read and is almost as if you are back at school again :lol but the stuff in it is good and you will like the hand rankings chart. Starting hand selection, like all things in poker, can have no exactly "correct" answer. You have to adjust being loose and tight or whatever to the game and blinds you are playing. Indeed if you are playing 4 opponents who you can exactly read and outplay perfectly I would play every hand against them! However of course this is not the case and giving you some good rules of thumb I hope is enough to start you off ok. You can fall into a lot of big traps playing any two suited cards as a new player including paying too much for bad draws or making crappy top pairs that get pished on by overpairs or better kickers but the main reason is the time you lose to higher flushes. You will find as you play poker that the times the real large money goes into the pot are the times someone makes a very good hand and someone else makes one slightly better - you REALLY want to avoid this happening to you. This is a big problem with low suited cards and especially (in my opinion) suited kings. When you make the flush you instantly think you have a great hand but you will find you do not get paid when noone has a worse hand but the times you lose a lot are when someone has the bigger flush. Its for this reason I love playing for ace high flushes on net cash games as time and time again I get paid big by people playing any two suited and makikng the same (but lower) flush than me. I do realise that by playing suited connectors I leave myself open to this on occasion but I tread very carefully with low flush draws and would far prefer to make the straight in these cases - I will tend to be pretty passive with a low flush unless I have called a raise with suited connectors from an opponent I think has KK or AA and then I will put him to all his chips. As for connecting cards they can be good, especially as everyone at the table notices when a flush card hits on the river but hardly anyone notices straight draws. You will get paid more when you hit your hand because of this. However I would only recommend you play them when there has been no raise preflop and there have been a lot of flat callers (just 2 or 3 people in makes the draw not nearly as good as you need to be paid if you hit!!). Being in a good position is another factor to consider here and yep I recommend good tight solid play on the net in cash games especially to start off with. Throwing away 80% of your hands can be boring but it will sure bring you more $$$$ Jez

Re: pair of cards to play thanks for lenghtly reply, some good advice there. The only thing I'm having trouble with, in the poker I play, the Blinds go up every 15 games(dont know if this happens in all of them), and as I'm chuckin a lot of my hand aay I find myself in a postion where blinds are 100/200 and I only have 300chips left!! maybe I'm being too cautious in what Im playing. Just played in one tourney, played one hand in ten, it was a pair of kings, bet big and someone beat me with a pair of Aces!

Re: pair of cards to play Nope I would def recommend learning to play on tournaments bruce, you get an awful lot of play for your money in the 10 man tourney things and get to see a lot of hands cheaply which dont cost you much. Whereas on a cash table they cost a lot. Follow my tight starting hand advice when the blinds are low, as they become large in relation to everyones stacks big cards become what you are after and you are looking to raise preflop a lot Jez

Re: pair of cards to play Hole cards = the two cards you have and that no one else can see. Kicker = is the lower of the two cards you have. In other words if you had AK and your opponent had AJ and you made a pair of aces in the middle, you would win because you had the higher kicker (your K beats his J).