Food at racecourses

I was shocked to learn of the price of food @ Ascot nearly a tenner for a smoked salmon bagel, and it transpires they throw a load in the bin, bet a load of tramps would be queing up every night What is the most you have been told how much you'd have to pay for something?

Re: Food at racecourses

£6 for a burger at Towcester racecourse' date=' wasn't very good, but it was free entrance so can't grumble too much. Also paid £9.50 for a burger at a polo event I attended in London, but it was top notch as Harrods were caterers![/quote'] I suppose its ofset by the free entry which normally is a tenner

Re: Food at racecourses Bruce Millington made this point in his column the other week, saying if the want to get people on course this is one of the main issues, rubbish food for joke prices. I've not been to anywhere where it has been reasonable

Bruce Millington made this point in his column the other week' date=' saying if the want to get people on course this is one of the main issues, rubbish food for joke prices. I've not been to anywhere where it has been reasonable[/quote'] I would have thought someone would have mentioned this, but as Jay says its premier league prices for sunday league food

Re: Food at racecourses i never buy food at football far better prices n the high st before the game at racing, epsom last year at the pL do was really good, quarter chicken and chips was £4.50 and worth every penny At sandown they were charging £5.50 for a "steak" burger about 3 years ago and it was an extra 50p for "salad" on the burger, that must be about 5p to make that salad !! really these days should pay no more than £3.50 for a decent burger and £1.50 for a dish of chips, most people would be happy with that

i never buy food at football far better prices n the high st before the game at racing, epsom last year at the pL do was really good, quarter chicken and chips was £4.50 and worth every penny At sandown they were charging £5.50 for a "steak" burger about 3 years ago and it was an extra 50p for "salad" on the burger, that must be about 5p to make that salad !! really these days should pay no more than £3.50 for a decent burger and £1.50 for a dish of chips, most people would be happy with that
I did hear they were charging £7:50 for Fish & Chips in the boxing ring er Silver Ring @ Ascot and £5:50 a pint:gimme

I did hear they were charging £7:50 for Fish & Chips in the boxing ring er Silver Ring @ Ascot and £5:50 a pint:gimme
unbelievable. it was £4.20 a pint last time we went in April, the silver ring has become a joke, when the old stand was up it was the place to be and we used to pay £10 fr ladies day, then they put it up to £15 when it became really popular, used to be great in there. Went the 1st year the new ascot was opened and it was a field with a few tents up, no seating, it was a disgrace and the bookies were all 4pts shorter than the main ring i nearly started a riot with one when i told him he was ripping off punters by giving those prices. Nows its about £30 a ticket to stand in a field whioch this week would have got a tad muddy

unbelievable. it was £4.20 a pint last time we went in April' date=' the silver ring has become a joke, when the old stand was up it was the place to be and we used to pay £10 fr ladies day, then they put it up to £15 when it became really popular, used to be great in there. Went the 1st year the new ascot was opened and it was a field with a few tents up, no seating, it was a disgrace and the bookies were all 4pts shorter than the main ring i nearly started a riot with one when i told him he was ripping off punters by giving those prices. Nows its about £30 a ticket to stand in a field whioch this week would have got a tad muddy[/quote'] I take your point about the "fiddlers" and its pointless contacting the ring inspector, they are about as much help as a chocolate teapot

Re: Food at racecourses Food was expensive at Epsom, about £7.50 for burger and chips. York is about £3.50 for a burger or about £6.50 for a pork roll and stuffing. The pub nearby is a better option for York. I went there with Kevshat for the Dante meeting, £6 for a main course or £8 for 2 course, £10 for 3 courses. I think Kev also managed a pint of lager and a pint of cider for under a fiver at the same pub for him and Russ. Wizzkid Walter was class at York, he got a carvery for about £9.50 in the Grandstand but there were no tables so he just sat outside with his lunch and met us at the betting ring. :okYou can be looking at a right outlay before you've even backed a horse. Went to York recently, £18 to get in, spent about £15 in the pub on lunch and drinks and then bought a Racing Post at the course. That's £35 gone before the first race. :(

Went to York recently' date=' £18 to get in, spent about £15 in the pub on lunch and drinks and then bought a Racing Post at the course. That's £35 gone before the first race. :([/quote'] maybe that should be something Rod Street and his merry band of wallies should be looking at

Re: Food at racecourses Went to epsom last year for one of the july evening meetings and had to pay £7.50 for fish and chips that wasn't even any good! We're going again this year, paying an extra £3 on top of our ticket prices and getting a free surf n turf with a free drink, which i think cost more than £3 last year! How does that work out?

Went to epsom last year for one of the july evening meetings and had to pay £7.50 for fish and chips that wasn't even any good! We're going again this year, paying an extra £3 on top of our ticket prices and getting a free surf n turf with a free drink, which i think cost more than £3 last year! How does that work out?
maybe United Racecourses did a deal with the caterers

I take my own food and either have it before I get in or whilst there' date=' although some courses wont let you bring you own food in now.[/quote'] You are right the herberts on the door make sure you dont have any food on you otherwise its thrown in the bin (do they go through the bin afterwards???)

Food was expensive at Epsom' date=' about £7.50 for burger and chips. York is about £3.50 for a burger or about £6.50 for a pork roll and stuffing. The pub nearby is a better option for York. I went there with Kevshat for the Dante meeting, £6 for a main course or £8 for 2 course, £10 for 3 courses. I think Kev also managed a pint of lager and a pint of cider for under a fiver at the same pub for him and Russ. [b']Wizzkid Walter was class at York, he got a carvery for about £9.50 in the Grandstand but there were no tables so he just sat outside with his lunch and met us at the betting ring. :okYou can be looking at a right outlay before you've even backed a horse. Went to York recently, £18 to get in, spent about £15 in the pub on lunch and drinks and then bought a Racing Post at the course. That's £35 gone before the first race. :(
That's me Mowgli, classy guy!! To be fair, in relation to what they charge for burgers and chips, I didn't think the £9.50 was actually that bad. It was a quality spread aswell to be fair. Although I think they should make more of an effort to ensure you don't have to eat it on a plastic chair in the wind outside!!!!! :ok

Re: Food at racecourses To the thread starter, I was a sucker at Ascot purchasing a bottle of water for £2.50 untill I walked down to the Tote machines and there was a drinking tap there! In future use this, but the food there is overpriced everyone knows it but if your hungry theres nothing to do especially if you love your grubb like me :D

To the thread starter, I was a sucker at Ascot purchasing a bottle of water for £2.50 untill I walked down to the Tote machines and there was a drinking tap there! In future use this, but the food there is overpriced everyone knows it but if your hungry theres nothing to do especially if you love your grubb like me :D
I do have a name:@

Re: Food at racecourses I'm finding it more and more difficult to drag myself to a racecourse these days, admission & travel costs, coupled with ripp-off food and drink prices. It seems racecourses prefer the grandstand pisshead / family enclosure picnic bbq i dont bet clientele nowadays. When you throw in the ridiculous margins amature hour bookmakers put up verses online value, promotions, fptp and disq winner etc, you do have to wonder why any punter would bother going to the racecourse.

Re: Food at racecourses Ideal scenario for me at a racecourse would be sat right at the top of the stand that always seems empty and is used for private functions (I'm thinking of York mainly) with a good view down the home straight, a laptop and a high speed internet connection. I know plenty of people that put their bets on before they go via online accounts and you can hardly blame them. Crap odds and 1/6th and 1/7th odds ew terms, what a joke. I still enjoy going racing but not as much as I did, was going to go to Ponty yesterday but just couldn't be arsed. :(

A good day at the races surely depends on the company you go with.
We had a good day out at Haydock recently but it's more to do with getting ripped off and the betting side of things. You back a horse before you go to the races at 4-1, it drifts to 8-1 and you get paid 8-1. Do the same on course and there is no best odds guaranteed. Bookies like Bet365 will pay you 1/4 odds first 4 on big races, some bookies on course will go 1/6th odds and some might pay 3 places only.

Re: Food at racecourses Yeah, the place terms are sometimes disgraceful on course. The ones that offer 1/4 odds advertise it likes its some USP when, online, those are the standard terms (in large field handicaps). I usually put my bets on before I go so I know Im getting BOG and proper EW terms, then just have fun bets when theyre, although it hasn't been much 'fun' coming home from York and Pontefract the last few times with empty pockets :lol

Yeah, the place terms are sometimes disgraceful on course. The ones that offer 1/4 odds advertise it likes its some USP when, online, those are the standard terms (in large field handicaps). I usually put my bets on before I go so I know Im getting BOG and proper EW terms, then just have fun bets when theyre, although it hasn't been much 'fun' coming home from York and Pontefract the last few times with empty pockets :lol
A good example is Gary Wiltshire who ran a book offering a 1/5th the odds in a 16 runner race and some bloke had a barney with him over the terms

Re: Food at racecourses An interesting thread. I still go racing when I can and really begrudge paying the inflated prices for food & drink - we have always said that gamblers are not like normal people though, think nothing of losing a few hundred on the races but would NEVER pay £8.50 for Ascot fish and chips..! It is the same everywhere though. At the Breeders' Cup, it's $8 for domestic beers and $9 for imports. At the Arc it's €6 for basic Kronenberg and €7 for a 1664. At both locations, these are only the Coca cola size cans. Just about always place the bets before I go to the course or use the phone while at the course but really miss that great feeling when collecting a stash of cash from an on-course bookie. It just isn't the same and just becomes a bunch of numbers.

An interesting thread. I still go racing when I can and really begrudge paying the inflated prices for food & drink - we have always said that gamblers are not like normal people though, think nothing of losing a few hundred on the races but would NEVER pay £8.50 for Ascot fish and chips..! It is the same everywhere though. At the Breeders' Cup, it's $8 for domestic beers and $9 for imports. At the Arc it's €6 for basic Kronenberg and €7 for a 1664. At both locations, these are only the Coca cola size cans.
Interesting comments Luther, with the Breeders Cup you'd expect to pay top dollar for items but with the rate of exchange £ vs $ its resonable but the downside is the pound against the euro, crikey you cant buy draught!

Re: Food at racecourses Some bookies do offer best odds on track but I guess it wouldnt be at all courses. If its a big meeting like Ascot or Cheltenham it doesnt make any sense to bet on track as not only is it hard to get a bet on the bookies offer huge prices in the morning, Fame And Glory being a prime example last week. As for the food I think its about getting value for money and Im not sure paying £8.50 for fish and chips is. However its like the motorway service station factor they can charge people those prices as people need to eat. Like I say I have hardly ever brought food at a racecourse as I dont like getting ripped of for very average food.