** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** ELO Ratings are now back **

Barclays Premier League > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Barclays Premier League > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season I saw some interesting bets at Ladbrokes. They offer two type of bets "Who will be first after 1st weekend" and "Who will be bottom after 1st weekend". The reason I liked these odds is that opening fixtures are quite often unpredeictable and it is common that newly promoted team goes top like for instance happened with Blackpool last season when they defeated Wigan 4-0 away. Also the odds are quite tempting.

Re: Barclays Premier League > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season

I saw some interesting bets at Ladbrokes. They offer two type of bets "Who will be first after 1st weekend" and "Who will be bottom after 1st weekend". The reason I liked these odds is that opening fixtures are quite often unpredeictable and it is common that newly promoted team goes top like for instance happened with Blackpool last season when they defeated Wigan 4-0 away. Also the odds are quite tempting.
THis could be a good bet.You should remember that a few teams usually start weak like Manchester United.Promoted teams are giving everything they have at the beginning of a campaign and for the first few weeks they are not bad.Maybe QPR and Norwich are worth a try.:ok

THis could be a good bet.You should remember that a few teams usually start weak like Manchester United.Promoted teams are giving everything they have at the beginning of a campaign and for the first few weeks they are not bad.Maybe QPR and Norwich are worth a try.:ok
Your picks are quite interesting since QPR will play Bolton at home and they are @ 17.00 to finish 1st while Norwich play Wigan away and they are @ 41.00 to finish 1st after the opening week. As I said Blackpool last year beat Wigan 4-0, even though they did not finish 1st since Chelsea beat WBA 6-0 in the opening week.

First post on this forum. Hills are offering 25/1 for Mcleish to be first manager to leave post. I think thats generous! Also on Bent (16)/ Dzeko (30) and Balotelli (30) to be top goal scorer. 6/1 on QPR to finish bottom was another that took my fancy as well as 25/1 Aaron Ramsey to be player of the year. Any thoughts?
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but your plan is to bet on McLeish to be sacked which means you predict that Aston Villa will be struggling, but at the same time you are going to bet on Bent to be a top scorer? It is really rare situation that Top scorer comes from club who struggling in the league. I also assume that you bet on Dzeko and Balotelli because you counting that Tevez will leave the club? Good way of thinking, but Tevez probably will stay at Man City for next season. Baloteli is well skilled, but also he like to get a red card or be angry for something. He is not mature enough in my opinion. Dzeko showed so far that he is a wood material and not top striker of premiership.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but your plan is to bet on McLeish to be sacked which means you predict that Aston Villa will be struggling, but at the same time you are going to bet on Bent to be a top scorer? It is really rare situation that Top scorer comes from club who struggling in the league. I also assume that you bet on Dzeko and Balotelli because you counting that Tevez will leave the club? Good way of thinking, but Tevez probably will stay at Man City for next season. Baloteli is well skilled, but also he like to get a red card or be angry for something. He is not mature enough in my opinion. Dzeko showed so far that he is a wood material and not top striker of premiership.
There 2 separate bets really mate. Just thought both were value not based on me guessing how the season will play out. I just look for value. Again think there is a better chance than the prices quoted that they will be top scorers.

Tevez asking to leave apparently

Tevez asking to leave apparently
That's been going on for months, he's the only reliable forward City have despite their millions, so he can get away with anything. Tevez looked knackered for the last third of the season and considering he is currently playing in the Copa America, he won't get much of a break this summer either. You will be hearing these stories all through the summer and into next season too, but City will want to keep him and won't have any desire to sell so I can't see him moving. Not a leading contender for top goalscorer for me, unless he manages to get a decent break and gets his mind right, neither of which are likely to happen.

Re: Barclays Premier League > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season I'm thinking Torres possibly for top goalscorer, he only moved to Chelsea and did not have all that much time, he was playing in a Chelsea squad who had pressure games and who were not playing well anyway (and he was lacking any confidence). Maybe under a new system with new manager and whole team starting well, if he can get a few early goals and stay injury free, good chance. 10.00 betfair.

I'm thinking Torres possibly for top goalscorer' date=' he only moved to Chelsea and did not have all that much time, he was playing in a Chelsea squad who had pressure games and who were not playing well anyway (and he was lacking any confidence). Maybe under a new system with new manager and whole team starting well, if he can get a few early goals and stay injury free, good chance. 10.00 betfair.[/quote'] Yeah, I've been thinking along these lines for a while now but I think it's time now to put my money on. Taking the 10/1 while I can. I really think in addition to the points mentioned above that Torres will benefit majorly from a tournament-free summer and will really get an opportunity to recharge his batteries and have time to shake off his low confidence from last season. Furthermore, Tevez is almost certain to go and so that will be one of his top-scorer rivals out of the way and I'll take Torres now before the market reacts.

Re: Barclays Premier League > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season Think I'll also treat myself a speculative and totally biased punt on: Top Scorer: Andy Carroll @ 25/1 with Betfred. (Each-way) If Carroll can stay injury-free for most of the season then why not? He will be supported upfront by the sublime Suarez and further supported by the excellent Steven Gerrard and industrious Dirk Kuyt. Assuming we get Downing then surely Kenny's main reason for buying him will be to get decent crosses in to Carroll so we can finally start utilising arguably the best header of the ball in the league. I won't go on too much about this one as it probably won't come in but worth a fun bet with modest stakes at decent odds?

Re: Barclays Premier League > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season Would somebody make a post-season thread where people share some opinions/personal conclusions about the past season, I think it can be helpful ..

Would somebody make a post-season thread where people share some opinions/personal conclusions about the past season' date=' I think it can be helpful ..[/quote'] If you think it will be helpful then feel free to start one mate. Can't promise we'll sticky it, but we can see how it goes.

Re: Barclays Premier League > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season Also m8 you could possibly have done Andy Carroll top English goalscorer, getting 6.40 for that, much less competition, only real threats are rooney and bent.

Think I'll also treat myself a speculative and totally biased punt on: Top Scorer: Andy Carroll @ 25/1 with Betfred. (Each-way) If Carroll can stay injury-free for most of the season then why not? He will be supported upfront by the sublime Suarez and further supported by the excellent Steven Gerrard and industrious Dirk Kuyt. Assuming we get Downing then surely Kenny's main reason for buying him will be to get decent crosses in to Carroll so we can finally start utilising arguably the best header of the ball in the league. I won't go on too much about this one as it probably won't come in but worth a fun bet with modest stakes at decent odds?

Re: Barclays Premier League > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season Im not really one for the outright betting because i hate waiting too long for my potential money but i really like this one , Chelsea to be 1st at the end of August @ 3.40 on PaddyPower Chelsea always start the season off with a bang which is why im confident theyll dispatch of Stoke, unfortunately for us Stoke fans, which is their only real test in the first 3 games of the season...Then they have two home games against West Brom and Norwich City, which im very confident theyll win with a decent goal difference aswell...Arsenal and liverpool play eachother, Aresenal and man utd play, City and spurs, spurs and everton so some very tough games for the other contenders...

Im not really one for the outright betting because i hate waiting too long for my potential money but i really like this one , Chelsea to be 1st at the end of August @ 3.40 on PaddyPower Chelsea always start the season off with a bang which is why im confident theyll dispatch of Stoke, unfortunately for us Stoke fans, which is their only real test in the first 3 games of the season...Then they have two home games against West Brom and Norwich City, which im very confident theyll win with a decent goal difference aswell...Arsenal and liverpool play eachother, Aresenal and man utd play, City and spurs, spurs and everton so some very tough games for the other contenders...
Had picked this out the other week at 3.75. Said I would sleep on it and next morning the price was cut so didn't play. Think I worked out Chelsea to win their first 3 games was something like 2.6, which should be enough, and so the 3.75 was very appealing. Gl with it

Im not really one for the outright betting because i hate waiting too long for my potential money but i really like this one , Chelsea to be 1st at the end of August @ 3.40 on PaddyPower Chelsea always start the season off with a bang which is why im confident theyll dispatch of Stoke, unfortunately for us Stoke fans, which is their only real test in the first 3 games of the season...Then they have two home games against West Brom and Norwich City, which im very confident theyll win with a decent goal difference aswell...Arsenal and liverpool play eachother, Aresenal and man utd play, City and spurs, spurs and everton so some very tough games for the other contenders...
Yeah, I thought the same mate which is why I took Villa-Boas to be named manager of the month for August at 4/1.

Yeah' date=' I thought the same mate which is why I took Villa-Boas to be named manager of the month for August at 4.[/quote'] Actually, just checked again and the odds have gone in to 3/1 so better off going for the PaddyPower to be top at end of August bet.

Re: Barclays Premier League > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season 10/1 for Sunderland to go down looks like value to me. They have sold their two best players and replaced them with 5 or 6 average ones. I have heard numerous pundits and journalists comment on how shrewd the signings of Wes Brown and John O Shea are but not for me. Brown only played 7 league games last year and O Shea is no better than what Sunderland have already got IMO. I will be investing.

10/1 for Sunderland to go down looks like value to me. They have sold their two best players and replaced them with 5 or 6 average ones. I have heard numerous pundits and journalists comment on how shrewd the signings of Wes Brown and John O Shea are but not for me. Brown only played 7 league games last year and O Shea is no better than what Sunderland have already got IMO. I will be investing.
Brown and O'Shea aside they've made some decent signigns. Larsson, Gardner and Vaughan are all experienced solid players who will do their job week in week out. Lots of experience in the side mixed with a bit of flair in Sessegnon and Gyan and some promising youngsters in Wickham and Ji. They'll comfortably be mid-table again for me. At the moment I think Arsenal are worth backing at 10 on Betfair. We usually start well and I think we'll be much shorter than that at certain points in the season. I still don't think we have the experience to win the league but we'll go close again and it's definitely a price worth backing with a look at laying it off later in the season. Another one I like is Arsenal to finish higher than Man City at 2.42 also with Betfair. I'm still not convinced by Man City's team or Mancini as a manager. Personally I think we should be favourites to finish above them so I'm very happy to take that price. The last one I'll chip in with for now is Wigan to be relegated at 2/1 with Will Hill. Survived by the skin of their teeth last season and unlikely to have funds to improve their side. N'Zogbia will probably be off and he's easily their best player. Done well to get where they are for such a small club but I fear this season may be their last in the Prem.

Re: Barclays Premier League > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season Yeah Arsenal is a good shout to finish above City I think :ok City only finished 3 points above Arsenal who did go through a terrible spell just after the Barcelona match, not to mention a few silly results like beating Newcastle 4-0 to draw 4-4 :) Not sure how city will improve, if anything with having CL football as well could be in for a touch season, also not convinced they are totally gelled as a team yet, so I am liking your Arsenal to finish above City :ok

Brown and O'Shea aside they've made some decent signigns. Larsson, Gardner and Vaughan are all experienced solid players who will do their job week in week out. Lots of experience in the side mixed with a bit of flair in Sessegnon and Gyan and some promising youngsters in Wickham and Ji. They'll comfortably be mid-table again for me. At the moment I think Arsenal are worth backing at 10 on Betfair. We usually start well and I think we'll be much shorter than that at certain points in the season. I still don't think we have the experience to win the league but we'll go close again and it's definitely a price worth backing with a look at laying it off later in the season. Another one I like is Arsenal to finish higher than Man City at 2.42 also with Betfair. I'm still not convinced by Man City's team or Mancini as a manager. Personally I think we should be favourites to finish above them so I'm very happy to take that price. The last one I'll chip in with for now is Wigan to be relegated at 2/1 with Will Hill. Survived by the skin of their teeth last season and unlikely to have funds to improve their side. N'Zogbia will probably be off and he's easily their best player. Done well to get where they are for such a small club but I fear this season may be their last in the Prem.

I think they will struggle personally. Bent scored all their goals and Henderson supplied them. Both have left and I can't see who is going to step up. 10/1 is a good price IMO. People have written Arsenal off far too easily and I think some people's dislike of Wenger is clouding their judgement somewhat. Good price as well I think although I also think City are value and Mancini is a good manager IMO. I fancy Wigan to do okay. If they sell NZogbia (who to me has 1 good game then 5 bad. As well as being lazy as hell) and invest it well then I think they can finish 12th-15th. I would be looking to lay at that price.

I think they will struggle personally. Bent scored all their goals and Henderson supplied them. Both have left and I can't see who is going to step up. 10/1 is a good price IMO.
Bent actually only scored 8 goals for them last season. There's no doubting he's a top goalscorer but I think Gyan has the quality to step up. Wickham is a good signing and I expect them to sign at least one more striker. There are at least 6 or 7 worse teams than Sunderland and I would want at least 16/1 tbh.
I fancy Wigan to do okay. If they sell NZogbia (who to me has 1 good game then 5 bad. As well as being lazy as hell) and invest it well then I think they can finish 12th-15th. I would be looking to lay at that price.
Really? N'Zogbia was there joint top goal scorer last season as well as top assists by a clear margin. To say he has 1 good game then 5 bad is a bit harsh. They have no experience in the side, no good goal keeper, only one fairly decent striker, and no real squad depth. I'l be very suprised if they're not fighting relegation come next April.

Really? N'Zogbia was there joint top goal scorer last season as well as top assists by a clear margin. To say he has 1 good game then 5 bad is a bit harsh. They have no experience in the side, no good goal keeper, only one fairly decent striker, and no real squad depth. I'l be very suprised if they're not fighting relegation come next April.
Agree about N'Zogbia. He's their main man. Sometimes it seems like these players are inconsistant, but what we have to remember is that there are no easy games in the EPL, and a player like that can't score a goal a game and create numerous scoring chances. Don't agree about the keeper though. Al Habsi had a storming season, keeping Chris Kirkland out of the side, which says a lot. I agree about the rest though, they still lack a decent spine for me. And a top goal scorer. The main thing that kept them up last year was Roberto Martinez for me.

Re: Barclays Premier League > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season I also fancy Wigan to stay up. They just have that grit to do it every single season, they done it last season and the season they come up winning at Sheff Utd on the last game of the season. Like it or not Wigan are an established Premiership side being in the league for over 5 years now. They just need a bit of consistancy, until the last 2 games of the season Wigan hadn't won back to back games for 2 seasons. They do lack a out and out striker who will get them goals, however Conor Sammon looked good from what I seen off him in the back end of last season, James McCarthy will only improve in the centre of the park. I rate him highly. Martinez claims that Wigan's target for the season is to finish in the top 10. They have a lot of building to do for that in the forthcoming weeks if thats true with N'zogbia's future uncertain and also needing a new centre midfielder to fill the gap Tom Cleverley has left and an extra defender. However saying all that, I would leave Wigan until we see a bit more in the transfer market from them.

Don't agree about the keeper though. Al Habsi had a storming season' date=' keeping Chris Kirkland out of the side, which says a lot.[/quote'] :lol I really don't think that says a lot. Al Habsi got in the team because Kirkland was piss poor and had to be dropt. He's an ok keeper but he's really nothing special. I'm not sure I would describe Wigan as having 'grit'. They were lucky last season that there were 4 worse teams in the league, I don't think there will be this time round. They don't have the likes of Cattermole, Brown, Palacios and Valencia that they used to have. That's the trouble though, I just don't think they have the money available to invest in the amount of players they need.

10/1 for Sunderland to go down looks like value to me. They have sold their two best players and replaced them with 5 or 6 average ones. I have heard numerous pundits and journalists comment on how shrewd the signings of Wes Brown and John O Shea are but not for me. Brown only played 7 league games last year and O Shea is no better than what Sunderland have already got IMO. I will be investing.
Betting on Sunderland to go down this year is equivilant to flushing money down the toilet. I strongly suggest no-one does this, selling off Bent and Henderson reminds me of when Everton sold off Rooney a few years back. Moyes re-invested the money wisely and Everton became a strong outfit, I think it will be similar with Sunderland this year. The signings of O'Shea, Brown and Wickham in particular are a bit of a coup in my opinion. The challenge they will face is gelling the side together, possibly a rocky start but getting stronger and stronger as the season goes on. A top 10 finish for sure, to suggest relegation is lunacy.

Re: Barclays Premier League > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season Anyone who has analysed the fixture list should see one glaring outcome. Manchester United come off the back of their 6 champions League group games with home league fixtures, Manchester City with 6 away ties. This fact is a huge negative for City and a mini-plus for United. Based on last season, United are improving, and if they seal a Sneijder deal then title no. 20 looks assured. Chelsea are the only real “team” to challenge them, but I don’t know if they have enough to fall over the line in front. Last year they were clear and imploded. I have a feeling that Roman gets his fingers into the team selection which cost them in all the games where Torres started, just like Shevchenko a few years previously. I love the way Arsenal play football, going forward. It’s just in the other direction they are chronically weak. City are a rag-bag of wealthy individuals with only Silva as a glue when they clearly need more than that. Liverpool have potential in Carroll and Suarez, but squad wise they are weak, and don’t seem to have realised that giving their rivals a 10 point lead by November only makes things that bit more impossible. I’m looking forward to the handicap markets, which only Corals have done thus far. Sunderland plus 30 is where I’ll be having my yardstick and comparing all other sides to see is there better value out there as I believe that Steve Bruce is building something better there. If only he wouldn’t roll over every time Fergie is the opposition!

Re: Barclays Premier League > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season To be bottom after 3 games: Wigan@33/1 with Skybet To be bottom after 3 games: Bolton@8/1 with Skybet Couldn't resist the odds here which I think represent value. Sure, WIgan are playing the three promoted teams in their first 3 games but I don't necessarily think that this means they're guaranteed any wins. After all the positivity generated from Wigan's last day heroics and the Martinez is so loyal love-in recently people seem to be overlooking the fact that Wigan were in the bottom 3 for most of last season (though nobody can fault their timing in getting out of it). In all likelihood they'll be without 3 of their 4 best players from last season (N'Zogbia, Rodellaga, Cleverley) and considering their other best player was their goalie then it's a bit worrying for Wigan. The 3 promoted teams will target Wigan as their best chance for 3 points and treat them almost like cup finals. Bolton also look decent value at 8/1 as they are away to QPR on the opening day then face City at home and Liverpool away. Could be a decent bet for those people who are put off by the long waiting game of full-season ante-post bets?