When should you leave a table

staffy

At what point should you leave a table. Should you play a certain amount of hands or a certain amount of time? Should you leave once you have a certain amount of profit or loss? Interested to see how different peoples ideas are for this.

Re: When should you leave a table Well I've never left a table because of a certain amount of loss but I do leave if I am up to a degree that I know I feel uncomfortable playing at ie 250 bbs stacks clouds my decision making. Time wise its just a "whatever" answer. Thought this was going to be a table etiquette thread:loon Not really any place for etiquette any more in poker:sad

Re: When should you leave a table You should leave a table when it becomes less profitable for you to stay than it is to leave.(including compared to the opportunity cost of joining another table) You should NEVER leave a highly profitable table because you have played X hands. Similarly, you should never stay on a poor table because you havent played X hands. If, as glceud says, playing too deep clouds your judgement and makes you play worse, then it's no longer profitable to play that table and you should leave. In general though - you shouldnt set a profit maximum to leave a table - if you are playing a really really bad player who is just dumping money - why leave when you have won X Big Blinds when you could continue and win 2*X Big Blinds? It can, in my opinion, be good to set a "stop loss" on a table - in poker - when you're outplayed, it's difficult to know you're being outplayed, because if you knew you were being outplayed, then you would usually be able to counter what your opponent is doing - so the danger is being outplayed by someone that you, wrongly, perceive as a fish - setting a "stop loss" can get you away from opponents that you dont easily observe as skilled opponents.

Re: When should you leave a table Now i'm a lot more organised with my poker and have the experience there's lots of reasons for leaving a table. If i hit my stop/loss then i'd leave, if i start to feel hungry/tired i take a break, if i'm going on tilt i'll leave, if a really good player on my left is affecting my game then i'll leave. Basically any time i don't feel up to playing very well then i'll leave the tables.

Re: When should you leave a table I leave tables when the mark leaves. If you're using tracking software, it makes it easy to see when games have gone bad. If you're just going to be left grinding it out with 4 or 5 other grinders, just leave. The only other time I'll leave is when I feel I'm no longer playing well. This might be due to tilt, tiredness or something else. Sometimes, when tilted, I don't leave soon enough though lol

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Re: When should you leave a table U should be leaving when you feel that whatever u do doesn't seem to work in that table . For instance , raising with AQ suited when you haven't played much and should indicate strength and a mugger who just won a big pot previously with another player shipped it all in . I mean , not that bad of a call given the way he played while chasing nut flush draw but i have more confidence of taking him down on the flop , turn or river . Just don't feel like gambling with these types of hands in cash games .

Re: When should you leave a table Fishes or no fishes , cash games is about picking spots to put your opponent to a decision and folding when you feel your hand is beat . I don't mind when there are no fishes , but i got to be confident of making some plays at some point to keep my stack intact and wait for better chances against my opponent .

you should be leaving when there aren't 2+ fish on the table' date=' or at least 1 fish directly to ur right.[/quote']

• 3 weeks later...

Re: When should you leave a table I leave tables due to these reasons: 1. Fish are gone and only good regulars stay at the table 2. Im deep what is sometimes uncomfortable for me to play with big stack 3. Im tired or bored :) 4. I recognize that Im tilting so its better to leave :D but almost always my sessions last from 60 to 120 minutes.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Re: When should you leave a table If you're playing well, stay on the table.. If you're playing bad... get up and watch some TV. Your current profit/loss should not determin if you stay or go... If you're up alot and worried about how much you have infront of you, it's possible you're playing above your comfort level.

Re: When should you leave a table

If you're playing well, stay on the table.. If you're playing bad... get up and watch some TV. Your current profit/loss should not determin if you stay or go... If you're up alot and worried about how much you have infront of you, it's possible you're playing above your comfort level.
totally agree well said ! stevie

• 4 weeks later...

Re: When should you leave a table Lots of you are saying you play on a table because of a fish. It makes sense really but it also depends on the table dynamics and your own playing style. I dont have any software to track fish but i usually join tables with long waiting lists and leave when the waiting list breaks down, then ill know the fish is gone! However most times playing 6max i just join tables that are 5/6 full and take the extra seat. its usually the worse seat with shortstacked TAGS on your right and deepstacked LAGS on your left, a multi-table grinder's nightmare!