Derek Thompson

Re: Derek Thompson I agree about Thommo and his greed and his tipping stuff , thank god he has lost out to the new faces on 4 , i think half of them are so self obsessed with their own fancies it should be about neutral presenting the facts on horses not personal opinions i believe as a lot of naive punters take notice of these so called experts !! They know no more than your informed man in the street when it comes to backing winners !!

Re: Derek Thompson OMG. Judging people by the way someone blinks. Thinking you can judge that someone is greedy by what someone does on TV. As Bowles implies, if you met some of these presenters, you might have a different opinion. I don't particularly like Thommo's way of doing things, but he's popular with the once a year punters and women. As for Jimbo's arrogance, of course he's arrogant, he's a successful punter. All successful punters are arrogant when talking about racing.;)

Re: Derek Thompson In the olden days The Morning Line was the only racing show on telly and i used to watch it every week...........I had a routine which involved getting up early, get out to buy the Post and back for the Morning Line.........of course it was on at 9 in those days Since i came back to racing 2 or 3 years ago I've got ATR and RUK so i never watch channel 4............and I wouldn't get up by 8 to watch it anyway...........:unsure I've occasionally caught a bit of it on C4 plus one.......... A few of the old faces still show up - Francome, Thommo, Mac, Jimbo, Lesley Nick Luck seems to be the head honcho these days Lord Oaksey and Brough Scott have disappeared........... I remember when Lesley started..........it seemed like a gimmick getting a woman on to talk about racing...............:loon I think she was a trainers wife...........

Re: Derek Thompson

As for Jimbo's arrogance, of course he's arrogant, he's a successful punter. All successful punters are arrogant when talking about racing.;)
Successful punter? Is he? I thought he was just a journalist who's made his money from grafting and buying a stake in Timeform. He's obsessed, as you would expect given his background, with rating figures (which is not a bad thing) but if he has made money from betting, it certainly isn't from backing the selections he gives out on a Saturday morning. I fast forward through most of his bits now. I've never heard him say anything remotely interesting.

Re: Derek Thompson LOL...and to think that all I said at the start was how irritating I find Thompson. I never watch the Morning Line, like Trotter I gave up on it years ago. I have no opinion on the other presenters really although I always thought McGrath came across as a bit arrogant. As for being able to judge them on their TV appearances, well remember they are paid on that show to try an give some guidance to the Saturday punter, no-one who is serious about the sport would ever take anything they say too literally however many uneducated punters will follow them. I can't comment on how accurate or otherwise their tips or advise is but I would like to think they give their opinions based on what knowledge they have, limited as that may be.... My main point here is that NOT EVERYONE BACKS THE FAVOURITE.....so i wish Thompson would stop commentating in each race as if the race revolves around only one fkin horse..........

OMG. Judging people by the way someone blinks. Thinking you can judge that someone is greedy by what someone does on TV. As Bowles implies, if you met some of these presenters, you might have a different opinion. I don't particularly like Thommo's way of doing things, but he's popular with the once a year punters and women. As for Jimbo's arrogance, of course he's arrogant, he's a successful punter. All successful punters are arrogant when talking about racing.;)
Hell hath no fury like a timeform groupie scorned :) I think most think thompson is greedy by the tipping lines feeding shamelessly off of his tv persona. He's a corporate whore working for the industry to fleece the idiot in the armchair. Of course he's probably a nice guy in real life, he's someone's dad, husband, grandad, uncle, neighbour... but as long as he feeds off the image he's fair game.

In the olden days The Morning Line was the only racing show on telly and i used to watch it every week...........I had a routine which involved getting up early' date=' get out to buy the Post and back for the Morning Line.........of course it was on at 9 in those days[/quote'] Ditto..haven't watched it in years but do watch the afternoon slot. I just find Thommo funny to be honest but don't take on board any of his advice on the horses but i do listen very carefully to John Francome when he mentions outsiders he give a 22/1 winner & 66/1 place yesterday. Mcgrath never gives anything away about horses he owns or is involved with which annoys me. Can't stand Lesley Graham don't like the way Emma Spencer speaks have a soft spot for Alice plunkett and i think Tanya knows her stuff. Alister Downs is very clever McCririck is much the same as thommo....

Re: Derek Thompson I agree with the comment about any serious punter making their own choices , if you listened to the meglamaniacs on C4 racing you definetely wouldnt be as well off as their pets , cannonfodder the racing public , like mushrooms .... feed em rubbish and keep in the dark , bookies too treat the public like mugs but thats another issue , if you love a bet nothing stops ya , no better feeling than backing a winner through your own opinions in my opinion .

Re: Derek Thompson Years ago Tony McCoy went through a golden patch riding lots of winners, McCoy had only just past the post on another winner when Lesley Graham ran up and interviewed him While he was still on the horse, After congratulating him she said, well done Tony ,make the best of it while you can, you could fall off tomorrow and break your neck, Mcoy didnt say a word he just gave her the coldest look ive ever seen ,she giggled nervously saying, well you could, you could.:wall

Successful punter? Is he? I thought he was just a journalist who's made his money from grafting and buying a stake in Timeform. He's obsessed, as you would expect given his background, with rating figures (which is not a bad thing) but if he has made money from betting, it certainly isn't from backing the selections he gives out on a Saturday morning. I fast forward through most of his bits now. I've never heard him say anything remotely interesting.
I think Jimbo's manner has fogged your judgement Onedunme, McGrath is the only one on C4 who's opinion I'd take seriously (possible exception of Hoiles). There are plenty on RUK worth listening to, Mellish, Cunningham for instance plus Hugh Taylor and Boycie on ATR. Though would not follow anyone's tips. McGrath (I believe) started at Timeform and worked his way to the top. More than supplementing his income by backing the horses. Don't think he's ever been a journalist. He's known to do best of the pundits on C4. You must take in to account that he's asked for his opinion in every race; he does not back every given "selection".:ok

Re: Derek Thompson Bring back the old school brigade , o,sulliven , wilson , i know they were on bbc but hey they knew and know as much as this mob and were not half as egotistic as todays media lot , they too loved a bet , Ch4 racing is not neutral, BBC were more professional , but have to say BBC COVERAGE of racing is a joke , hats off to C4 for covering the majority of premium racing , paying the tv license to the BBC gives me the hump , id rather give it to C4 .

haha ladcrooks aint they just .. i used to back Emma spencer when she rode a few ' date=' only because of her ass up in the air , she was capable too in the saddle , old Jamie must need his nut testing :nana[/quote'] I think it was Emma that needed her head testing for getting with the lanky streak of piss in the first place. Apparently Spencer was banging Hayley Turner behind her back and thats why it turned sour. As for totty in the saddle, Leonna Mayor is the direction you need to be pointing your eyes in. Im pretty sure she clocked me eyeing her up at Southwell not long before xmas.

Re: Derek Thompson hahaha yeah old Emma ramsden should have gone to specsavers i agree , dont know what she see in him in the first place , crap jock i always thought , aint too hot in the looks department either , must have been that fing between his legs ....... o'brien using him again i see .... have ballydoyle gone soft ?

• 2 weeks later...

Thommo- Great ride Ruby so tell me can you finally break your duck in the scottish national? Ruby Walsh- Break my duck? Did i not win it in 2002 no :lol another Thommo classic
He seems to be doing that with increasing regularity, now interviewing Harry's mum, el Finlay was in Thailand on route to Vietnam, just think the horse was sold 3 weeks ago to Middleham Park Racing OUCH! He got critized (and rightly so) for his interview with the disabled jockey Sharon Murgatroyd