Want to discuss Cash strategy?

Nade

Ask here. Ask what situations you struggle with, what hands you struggle with, whatever you want to talk about post in here and i can get on the case with my wealth of poker experience that is un-paralleled on PL. Estimate i can't be far off played a million hands including every form of the game over the last few years so dip into my mind. I can post tons of hands every day but if they're not relevant to anyone then there's no point so let me know what YOU want to talk about.

Re: Want to discuss Cash strategy? What is your view on c-betting? Is there any point anymore, seems everyone is floating? ...which leads on to my next question, how to decide wether to double barrel or not. I guess some pointers is to have a hand that can improve on 5th street, and if you have seen the player lay down hands to double barrels earlier it's a plus as well. But i am certain there's more to it?

Re: Want to discuss Cash strategy?

What is your view on c-betting? Is there any point anymore, seems everyone is floating? ...which leads on to my next question, how to decide wether to double barrel or not. I guess some pointers is to have a hand that can improve on 5th street, and if you have seen the player lay down hands to double barrels earlier it's a plus as well. But i am certain there's more to it?
The first thing is if you're betting into someone who likes to float then there's a few things you can do a) just cbet when you have a hand, b) 2 barrel bluff more c) induce bluffs by checking hands to them on the turn. A more general point is be aware of the opponent you're betting into, will they see an Ace as a scare card or a bluff card for example. Are they considering your range or just their own hand. All these things are important to consider. I think a lot comes down to what you want to achieve in the hand. If you have a bluff and little equity then try and bluff, or check if you don't think they'll fold. If you have a hand but think your opponent will fold to 2 barrels then try checking the turn betting the river. There's no absolute do's and don'ts, just try to improve hand reading, board reading and general situation reading and this will lead to knowing what are good places to cbet and what aren't.

Re: Want to discuss Cash strategy? hi, first post sounds like this could be a good thread to get some trafffic in. whats your background Nade? an area that i've been trying to improve on is the turn in NLHE. My own feeling is that if you can get to grips with this street it will significantly improve your game. what's your views on areas like; continuing with a bluff OOP when the flop is dry and the turn bricks continuing with a bluff OOP when the flop is wet and turn bricks the same as above above but IP having TPTK type hand and getting raised on co ordinated turn by a limper when you've had betting lead and generally the way you deal with turns that co ordinate(or not) with flops IP/OOP Something to think about ;)

OK i am playing a 10 seater game on stars and I am mid position to act and I have KQs or JQs. What should I do?
Full ring games are very nitty so you can expect those hands to be dominated a lot by AK, AQ, AJ, but so long as you don't go broke with 1 pair with KQs or JQs they're playable i think from mid-position.
hi, first post sounds like this could be a good thread to get some trafffic in. whats your background Nade? an area that i've been trying to improve on is the turn in NLHE. My own feeling is that if you can get to grips with this street it will significantly improve your game. what's your views on areas like; continuing with a bluff OOP when the flop is dry and the turn bricks continuing with a bluff OOP when the flop is wet and turn bricks the same as above above but IP having TPTK type hand and getting raised on co ordinated turn by a limper when you've had betting lead and generally the way you deal with turns that co ordinate(or not) with flops IP/OOP Something to think about ;)
My background includes pretty much all forms of NLHE, apart from some of the modern style SNGs like DoNs. I agree, the turn is an important street to master.
continuing with a bluff OOP when the flop is dry and the turn bricks continuing with a bluff OOP when the flop is wet and turn bricks the same as above above but IP having TPTK type hand and getting raised on co ordinated turn by a limper when you've had betting lead and generally the way you deal with turns that co ordinate(or not) with flops IP/OOP
A general point i'll make first of all is all situations are different because of players and game flow. But a good note to go by is if they show strength on the turn then they most likely have it. continuing with a bluff OOP when the flop is dry and the turn bricks - continuing with a bluff OOP when the flop is wet and turn bricks - Bluffing when OOP is real tough as to win the hand you'll have to likely go 3 streets, so you have to plan ahead in terms of what turns/rivers will be good for your range and what cards they'll likely fold on. So you need to know your opponent well. Set up stack sizes is also something to consider, there's no point bombing the turn on a pure bluff leaving your opponent with 4:1 odds on a river all in call. Try to set up stacks so you have a big bet left on the river. It's real hard to say whether a wet board or a dry board is better to bluff on as it all depends on what your opponent sees as strength so you need to pay attention to them. having TPTK type hand and getting raised on co ordinated turn by a limper when you've had betting lead This really depends on what stack and pot sizes are, but assuming the pot isn't too big by this point i'd call with TPTK and see what develops on the river. and generally the way you deal with turns that co ordinate(or not) with flops IP/OOP Depends on what i want to achieve from the hand. If the boards real co-ordinated and your opponents still in the pot then it's likely he has a good something as your opponent will be assuming you've hit something there too. So on a co-ordinated board and you have something like 1 pair or a vulnerable 2 pair then you can bet for protection or try to get to SD as cheap as possible. Just think what you want to achieve. If you have a legit hand but it's vulnerable like a 1 pair then betting big on a wet board can turn it into a bluff as you're representing something bigger than you have. For example on a QT7J board and you raise the turn with Q9 as you have top pair and an open-ender. Just think there's lots of straights in your range and 2 pairs so you're only getting action by a hand that beats you. So though the hand looks pretty even if you hit an 8 or K, then an 9 makes an obvious straight and you lose to an A. So even if your hand improves you'll still only get action from hands you lose to. Knowing what to do in situations comes down to hand-reading, situation reading and opponent reading mainly. If they're only thinking about their own hands then they're real easy to bluff, but if they're thinking about our range then thinks have to make more sense to put it simply.

Re: Want to discuss Cash strategy? Do you think a decent spot to c/r vs an aggro but not thinking player who calls a lot of cbets would be if you have not many barrel cards and OOP and if you did is giving up on a lot of turns fine. This is kind of linked to cbetting. I want to be visibly c/r more as I definately dont do it enough. an example would be: AhJh on 9c5c2s

Re: Want to discuss Cash strategy? It's an interesting thought. Against a random aggro player who doesn't fold to cbets i think we're cbetting AJs for value on a 9high board because we're either going to improve or they're going to fold on a lot of turns as that flop is so dry they rarely hit it. So C/R is turning it into a bluff when we have value betting but i see the merits of a c/r as we probably have more chance of winning the pot as it looks strong but it does look really strange as c/r flops is so rare from a PFR so they may look you up light. I like c/r a lot more if there's at least 1 heart on the flop so at least we have some more back-door equity.

Re: Want to discuss Cash strategy? Nade, Unlike you don't play cash very often. However on saturday having taken a very bad beat in a live fox poker club tournament earlier in the evening, went and played £1/£1 at the London vic. Played pretty tight but lost two big pots. First dealt AQ off in mid position. unraised pot and raised to £5. one caller in late who had been very loose and chasing all night. Flop Q,5.7 different suits. Raise £12 and he calls. turn 2 and check. He raises all in his remaining £30 as he had been doing for the past 2 hours. He had already rebought twice. I call and he shows KQ off. River is a K. 2nd pot. One raiser in early who raises to £8. he again has been very loose. I have AJ of clubs. I call and flop is A,7 3 diffent suits. He raises £10 and I reraise to £20, He goes all in for his remaining £40 and I call the reraise. He turns over A 5 off and hits his 5 on the river. I end up the evening £100 down. Don't think I did a great deal wrong. Just put it down to variance and perhaps not appreciating how loose low stakes games at a place like the Vic are. Welcome your views

• 4 months later...

Re: Want to discuss Cash strategy? This worked out well here for me but is folding here the right decision long term? PokerStars - $0.02 NL (9 max) - Holdem - 8 players Hand converted by PokerTracker 3 UTG+1: $2.04 MP: $5.35 MP+1: $3.01 CO: $1.37 BTN: $4.97 Hero (SB): $2.00 BB: $2.00 UTG: $2.32 Hero posts SB $0.01, BB posts BB $0.02 Pre Flop: ($0.03) Hero has :Qc::Qh: UTG raises to $0.08, UTG+1 calls $0.08, MP raises to $0.33, fold, fold, fold, Hero calls $0.32, fold, UTG raises to $2.32 and is all-in, fold, MP calls $1.99, fold Flop: ($5.07, 2 players) :Kd::Jd::8d: Turn: ($5.07, 2 players) :Jh: River: ($5.07, 2 players) :5s: UTG shows Image154.gif:Ks::Kh: (Full House, Kings full of Jacks) (PreFlop 97%, Flop 71%, Turn 100%) MP shows :Qd::Qs: (Two Pair, Queens and Jacks) (PreFlop 3%, Flop 29%, Turn 0%) UTG wins $4.82

• 3 months later...

Re: Want to discuss Cash strategy? BB has a VPIP of 26.97 and PFR 9.39, AFq 41.46 over 330 hands and a 3B PF of 3.33. Call, fold or raise? and why PokerStars - $0.02 NL (9 max) - Holdem - 9 players Hand converted by PokerTracker 3: http://www.pokertracker.com MP+1: $1.85 LP: $2.35 Hero (CO): $2.31 BTN: $2.91 SB: $2.00 BB: $1.96 UTG: $1.89 UTG+1: $0.78 MP: $1.83 SB posts SB $0.01, BB posts BB $0.02 Pre Flop: ($0.03) Hero has Qh Kh fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to $0.06, BTN calls $0.06, fold, BB raises to $0.14, Hero calls $0.08, fold Flop: ($0.35, 2 players) 9h 9s Ah BB bets $0.24, Hero calls $0.24 Turn: ($0.83, 2 players) Kc BB checks, Hero checks River: ($0.83, 2 players) 8h BB bets $0.48, Hero ??????

Re: Want to discuss Cash strategy? Why did you call his squeeze PF? I expect 3betting him QQ+,AK (maybe AQs) where you are dominated. And Im worried about button who can call too and Im in the middle what may cause difficulties for me. Whats your strategy on flops like Kxx, Qxx? As played I just call. Because Im not sure if he calls our raise with AK/AQ. And his line looks like at least AK/AQ or AA/KK where he was trying to be tricky at turn.

Re: Want to discuss Cash strategy? It's very hard to apply any strategy at very low stakes. Many people will play, raise and push with any two cards. At most it will cost them $2. That would be me anyway :eyes. It's more for fun at those stakes than anything. No offend to Rebel of course. There is always 1 or 2 good players at the table.

BB has a VPIP of 26.97 and PFR 9.39, AFq 41.46 over 330 hands and a 3B PF of 3.33.
That's a black magic to me :$. I call his 3 bet. On the flop if you don't put him on the A, of course call. You hit your hand big on the turn and there is no turning back. You can't think now, he might hit A on the flop, otherwise no point calling the flop. He might have hit his flush with some two rugs on the river, but I'm not folding here.

Why did you call his squeeze PF? Called the 3bet with the KQs because his it was only 4bb to do so' date= and I feel that 4bb is cheap if I hit the flop well I could be stacking AAs or KKs. Really was a call and see. I expect 3betting him QQ+,AK (maybe AQs) where you are dominated. I was putting him on the same range. And Im worried about button who can call too and Im in the middle what may cause difficulties for me. If the button had shoved or raised, then it is a straight forward fold of me and I say good buy to my 10bb. If he called the then unless I flop a monster I am check/folding any action on any street.Whats your strategy on flops like Kxx, Qxx? On a Kxx or Qxx flop, I am expecting him to lead out 95% time on any flops o I am flat calling that those flops depending on the size of the bet. If he fires the turn again and the turn is a brick, i may lay it down but if if check the check id fire. As played I just call. Because Im not sure if he calls our raise with AK/AQ. And his line looks like at least AK/AQ or AA/KK where he was trying to be tricky at turn.
It's very hard to apply any strategy at very low stakes. Many people will play, raise and push with any two cards. At most it will cost them $2. That would be me anyway :eyes. It's more for fun at those stakes than anything. No offend to Rebel of course. None taken, at these levels there are all sorts of players. There is always 1 or 2 good players at the table. That's a black magic to me :$. I call his 3 bet. On the flop if you don't put him on the A, of course call. You hit your hand big on the turn and there is no turning back. You can't think now, he might hit A on the flop, otherwise no point calling the flop. He might have hit his flush with some two rugs on the river, but I'm not folding here.
I think the call preflop is an easy one, wont raise here because i know at this point there is a high probabilty i am behind. Feck all i can(will) do about the button at this point. On a flop like this, i think he is leading out with all the hands in the range i put him on, at this point only AA has me totally crushed. It is a big bet from the BB but not massive, he could be trying to take it down here with KK, QQ or AK with the A as a scare card who is afraid of the flush draw. Would he bet so big if he had AA, maybe maybe not it is 2nl. Turn brings a K. BB check to me. While this pairs my K it also improves 2 more of his possible hand ranges. I check as now i am beaten by AA, KK and AK. But should i have put i say 1/3 pot size bet on the turn?? If BB c/r turn i would know there and then i was beat. River brings a h. I have an A high flush and BB leads out with a reasonable size bet with a flush draw and fullhouse possiblities on board. Call, Fold or Raise. Is one of these answers really that straight forward?

Re: Want to discuss Cash strategy? I post this hand here:) Hero (CO): $34.07 BTN: $18.97 (18/18/4.6 after 270 hands, SB: $19.80 BB: $17.85 UTG: $13.10 Pre Flop: ($0.30) Hero is CO with A :spade: Q :diamond: 1 fold, Hero raises to $0.80, BTN calls $0.80, 2 folds Flop: ($1.90) 3 :club: Q :club: A :heart: (2 players) Hero bets $1.60, BTN raises to $3.20, Ok, what to do now? Is this valueraise or bluff (semi-bluff)? i dont expect he has QQ/AA here, so he can have set of threes, AQ, or some kind of fd/straight draws. but I dont now what to do? if he is bluffing I wanna just call to let him bluff on turn but on the other hand I dont wanna let him hit his draw (or take a free card on turn) but when I 3bet on flop what range will be continue? 33 & AQ, maybe KJss?? What do you think?

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Want to discuss Cash strategy? Did i feck up here by going for the big pay off on the river against a reckless player who was overvaluing top-pairs and calling all river bets with any pair. Villian was 31/8/agg f. 2, over 107 hands PokerStars - $0.05 NL (9 max) - Holdem - 9 players Hand converted by PokerTracker 3: http://www.pokertracker.com MP: $7.02 MP+1: $5.00 LP: $3.93 CO: $5.31 BTN: $9.86 SB: $5.06 Hero (BB): $5.05 UTG: $6.20 UTG+1: $4.78 SB posts SB $0.02, Hero posts BB $0.05 Pre Flop: ($0.07) Hero has 4s 3s fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, BTN calls $0.05, fold, Hero checks Flop: ($0.12, 2 players) 2h 2s 5h Hero checks, BTN checks Turn: ($0.12, 2 players) 8c Hero checks, BTN checks River: ($0.12, 2 players) As Hero bets $0.08, BTN raises to $0.16, Hero raises to $0.44, BTN raises to $0.72, Hero raises to $1.68, BTN raises to $2.64, Hero raises to $5.00 and is all-in, BTN calls $2.36 Hero shows 4s 3s (Straight, Five High) (PreFlop 45%, Flop 28%, Turn 0%) BTN shows 2d 8d (Full House, Twos full of Eights) (PreFlop 55%, Flop 72%, Turn 100%) BTN wins $9.62 I did not put him on a pocket pair starting and the way it c/c to the river, made that read more clearer. A on the river, he min raises me 3 times on the river, highly unlikely he would play pocket A's like this given his previuos play at the table. So given the info i had by his actions preflop, flop and turn i put him on Ax and jam the rest of my chips in and lost. I did not expect to see 82! Would you have gone all-in against this opponent or called the river min raise. Currently i am thinking that while it did know work out this time, it will be profitable to play big pot with big hands like these against this type of player. Let me know if i am wrong.

• 1 month later...