Small field races - Any ideas ?

Recently I've been concentrating on small field races, around 5/6 runners if possible, 7 maximum Partly this is due to less time for study and a certain 'can't be bothered' attitude to six meetings a day to trawl through..............:unsure In the spirit of having a debate, i wonder if anyone has any ideas which might relate specifically to small field races........... I can think of a couple of things Front runners - in theory front runners should be better suited to running in small fields merely because there is a greater chance that they'll get a soft lead. Stamina - Logically you'd think that a 5 runner race would suit a horse with more speed than stamina at a given trip because 'the field' would would be toddling around and something with a finishing kick would be well placed. However, I think this doesn't work in practise because hold up horses can't get 'covered up' as easily in small fields and use up their energy more than they would hidden away in a big field. (this is an analogy with 'the peloton' in cycling - I've been watching the Tour de france and am always looking for ideas from other sports to apply to racing !) So, at the moment I'm thinking that in a small field you look for a front runner who definitely stays the trip or gets a bit further. If there's no obvious front runner then concentrate on the ones that stay the trip well Anyone got any other ideas ?

Re: Small field races - Any ideas ? Not sure I agree with your last comment Trotter, if you have no front runner surely the race will be run at a false pace and therefore the chances of form holding up are limited. Its also dangerous to assume that all hold up horses need to be covered up, some are just as happy lying third/fourth as long as they are not pullers which can easily be sussed via the form book. Pace of the race is vital in trying to read these races in my opinion, if your pretty sure there will be an even pace then stamina is key, whether a front runner or not (after going suitability of course), if not leave the race alone. *My opinions are only valid for races of a mile and upwards having thought about it.

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.