** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

AP McCoy for Sports Personality of the year

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: AP McCoy for Sports Personality of the year If I remember rightly AP had a dig about BBC racing coverage, or lack of it, during an interview after a race he`d just won, something along the lines of.. "Shame you won`t be seeing the horse on the BBC anymore" He deserves to win it as does Phil Taylor but somehow I can`t see it happening

Re: AP McCoy for Sports Personality of the year The more I think about this, the less likely it is to happen. It is all so 'topical' with these awards, and with the best part of 9 months till the award is decided, I just cannot see the British public voting AP's achievement as being the most important of the year. It is a real shame, but I am afraid that AP will never get the recognition he clearly deserves.

• 1 month later...

Re: AP McCoy for Sports Personality of the year Did anyone else write to AP, JP or McCoy after the GN? I got a a card back today, signed by the great man, its a cartoon of Dont Push it Jumping the last fence, with McCoy on the phone to his mum whilst JP and and Jonjo cheer on the sidelines! I imagine they were mass produced and sent out to all that congratulated them? By the way, the latest on my Facebook campaign....I wrote letters to plenty of well known people in racing asking them if they could give me a quote on why they think he was special. The aim was to compile them all together and forward on to the BBC. It seems the effort was wasted, apart from with Racing For Change, from whom a kind lady wrote back acknowledging what I was trying to do and said RFC would be picking up a campaign nearer to nominations to ensure he gets remembered. She said they were considering starting a facebook group so I suggested merging the several that are on facebook, a few others sprung up around the GN, some with plenty more numbers than ours...hopefully we can all club together and get him onto the final shortlist at least, then all of racing can rally around on the night...who knows.

Re: AP McCoy for Sports Personality of the year yeah i think he should win cos i cant think of any other sports person that has done owt this year.look at phil taylor world champion 14 times never gets a mention,some daft bike rider that nobody gives a shit about won last year.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: AP McCoy for Sports Personality of the year mccoy is the new favourite for this now. With fabio capello sending out a search party for rooney who is lost somewhere in south africa. The jug eared assassin is out to 6/1 from 5/2 with hills. Ap is 9/2 from 8s.

• 4 months later...

Re: AP McCoy for Sports Personality of the Year To be honest, I think Frankie has the best shot at this. Taking nothing away from Tony's achievements, but Dettori has a much bigger public profile. What we truely need, however, is someone connected with the sport to take part in Strictly Come Dancing and I think that'd be right up Frankie's street!

Re: AP McCoy for Sports Personality of the Year

3' date='000 wins, 13,000 rides and 15 times national hunt champion...lets give him and racing the recognition it deserves.[/quote'] i couldn't agree more mate. AP deserves it and so does racing. Sadly a lot of people have adopted the attitude that racing never does anything in this award and that it means nothing to the sportsmen themselves, so they refuse to vote. I started a similar thread just after he won the Grand National as I think this is his best chance of having his acheivements recognised. http://www.punterslounge.com/forum/f13/ap-mccoy-sports-personality-year-100531/ Time and time again you hear of McCoy heroics, Wichita Lineman at the festival the other year was quite incredible, and more recently he was in the stories for one that stopped when it hit the front, but he got it going again to win (the name escapes me). If people bother to vote we can reward a true champ, a sporting legend, hail king McCoy :notworthy

• 1 month later...

Re: AP McCoy for Sports Personality of the year

IMO he deserves to win it more than any of the other contenders. But Ryan Giggs won this award the other other so you never know.... That 8/1 is looking great value now though :D
It could be a nice xmas Fin i myself have 7/1 & 7/2 i did have a cheeky double with Sir Richard Hughes taking the flat title with the champ winning sp but the single will do for me. Lets hope he gets it, they only made 1 AP. Best of luck and Merry xmas to you. Members its time.....CAST YOUR VOTE FOR THE CHAMP. We wont see the likes again in our life time.

Re: AP McCoy for Sports Personality of the year He does deserve it - and it would be great if he won. He might just edge it with his Grand National win . :notworthy But the uk audience is fickle and I reckon a placing will be in order Hmmm 2nd or 3rd ??? how many times has he wanted to win and only to get a place in the end - At least everyone who has dealings with him in the sport recognize his achievments and have been behind him on this campaign.

Re: AP McCoy for Sports Personality of the year dont know the number yet myslef but I read something in the racing post today and I think voting opens around 7pm and closes around 8.30 pm. Only 15p to call from a BT landline I think it said, but dont quote me on it!

Re: AP McCoy for Sports Personality of the year

Seems a while since you set up the facebook page Wayne :ok (I'm sure I was the first person to "like" it) ;)
Yes. Big WELL DONE to Fin and all others who set up groups etc to ensure AP was even in the running, never mind winning it. Brilliant effort :clap:clap