** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Free Racing Entry

aldric

Not seen this posted anywhere but some free racing dates for those in England, none for up here in Scotland :( http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/horse_racing/8527612.stm

Courses offer free entry to boost horse racing crowds
By Frank Keogh
999999.gif
_47354718_goodwood226.jpg Goodwood is one of the courses taking part in the offer
Free admission is to be offered at eight meetings during one week at the end of April in an attempt to attract new fans to horse racing. The initiative is being organised by 'Racing for Change' as part of a wider campaign to broaden the sport's appeal. Eight courses will open their gates for free over six days between Monday 26 April and Saturday 1 May. Some of Britain's biggest racing venues such as Ascot, Goodwood, Kempton and Doncaster are taking part. The fixtures will provide a mix of both afternoon and evening meetings, as well as a choice of racing over jumps or on the Flat. The free-admission fixtures are: • Monday, April 26 - Towcester and Wolverhampton • Tuesday, April 27 - Sedgefield (evening) • Wednesday, April 28 - Ascot and Kempton (evening) • Thursday, April 29 - Huntingdon (evening) • Friday, April 30 - Doncaster • Saturday, May 1 - Goodwood Towcester has long offered free admission and benefited from bigger crowds and increased revenue on betting and catering.
o.gif606: DEBATE Have your say on 'Racing for Change'
The promotion will be backed by a public relations drive at national and local level, and an advertising campaign on regional radio. Racing for Change chairman Chris McFadden said: "These fixtures give the public a real choice. The quality of the racing is great. "With three of the fixtures being in the evening and one on Saturday afternoon, they are at times that are convenient for people to come along with their families." Ascot's meeting includes the Group Three Sagaro Stakes, while Goodwood has the Listed £40,000 Conqueror Stakes, and Sedgefield puts on its feature race of the year, the Durham National. Some of the racecourses will limit the free admission to general enclosures. At Goodwood, the complimentary offer is for the Gordon and Lennox enclosures, while at Ascot it is the grandstand that will have complimentary access. The week is also to be used by Racing for Change to introduce a number of its trial initiatives announced at the beginning of the year, including a new display of photo-finish results on big screens and modernised raceday announcements. It has not yet been announced when one of the most high-profile ideas, decimalised odds - rather than fractions - might be trialled. Further details are likely to emerge when racing industry leaders meet for a conference on Tuesday.

Free Racing Week Some of Britain’s best known racecourses have teamed up to create the first ever week when the public can race for free every day. This ground breaking initiative in April 2010 is being organised by Racing for Change as part of a wider campaign to broaden the appeal of the sport. Eight racecourses, over a period of six days between Monday 26 April and Saturday 1 May, will open their gates and welcome visitors free of charge so they can experience the thrill of a day at the races. The week will involve some of Britain’s most famous horse racing venues such as Ascot, Goodwood, Kempton Park and Doncaster. The fixtures provide a mix of both afternoon and evening meetings as well as a choice of racing over jumps or on the flat. The free admission fixtures are as follows:

• Monday 26 April - Towcester and Wolverhampton
  • Tuesday 27 April - Sedgefield (evening)
  • Wednesday 28 April - Kempton Park (evening) and Ascot
  • Thursday 29 April - Huntingdon (evening)
  • Friday 30 April – Doncaster
  • Saturday 1 May – Goodwood

The week is also poised to be used by Racing for Change to introduce a number of its trial initiatives announced at the beginning of the year, including a new display of photo-finish results on big screens, modernised raceday announcements and improved raceday programmes. Free Racing week- how to get involved For more information about booking your place at one of our free race meetings, simply email [email protected] stating which course you are interested in attending and we will email you with full details as soon as tickets become available. Alternatively you can write to: Try Racing for Free Week Racing Enterprises Limited 75 High Holborn London WC1V 6LS Although this is aimed at people who don't go racing, no harm in us racegoers taking advantage eh! Anyone going along? I'm going go to Donny on the Friday as I've never been before(might stop over as well, is the nightlife any good?)

Re: Free Racing Week NP, I will probably go to donny myself as it falls on my day off, if i can get tickets, don't do the nightlife now but it was ok 20 years ago! Just go to the football and the odd race meetings, since the new stand opened it got a bit pricey so not been for while, free entry means more betting money.

• 1 month later...

Re: Free Racing Entry Thought I'd bump this thread as the free dates are coming up next week. Anyone thinking of going, check the details on the website or with the course, as I know at Doncaster there's a form you have to fill out in order to get your tickets. I think you can do it at the gate, but could create long queues on the day.

Re: Free Racing Entry

Don't quote me... But I am sure I read in the newspaper this week that Goodwood have sold out for the fixture on Saturday...
They have. I saw it on ATR a couple of weeks ago. I'm thinking of going to Kempton on the Wednesday evening, where you have to just fill in a form and hand it in to get the free entry. Not 100% but it isn't difficult to get to from my house in London.

Re: Free Racing Entry 8257 at Ascot last year on the same day;19215 yesterday 5000 at Sedgefield on Monday, compared to usual 1000 or so 5 times more people at Wolverhampton even Nevermind decimal odds, it just shows that racing for change needs to persuade the courses to lower their entry/food/drink prices