African Nations Cup 2010

Re: Africa » MTN Africa Cup of Nations (10-31 jan 2010)

From the tournament regulations on the official site: Article 72

In case of equality of points between two or more teams, at the conclusion of the group matches, the ranking of the teams shall be established according to the following criteria: 72.1. Greater number of points obtained in the matches between the teams in question; 30 72.2. The best goal difference in the matches between the teams in question; 72.3. Greater number of goals scored in the group matches between the teams concerned; 72.4. Goal difference in all group matches; 72.5. Greatest number of goals scored in all the group matches; 72.6. Fair Play points system taking into account the number of yellow and red cards;

72.7. Drawing of lots by CAF Organising Committee.

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Africa » MTN Africa Cup of Nations (10-31 jan 2010) Angola -0.25 AH @ 2.10 (4/10) This is when the crunch stage of the African Nations Cup starts and there is no room for any errors. Defeat now simply means elimination from the competition so the stakes are really high. Angola, the host nation approach this game as favourites, and deservedly so in my opinion. They have generally looked quite good in their group games and shown a desire to win games by impressing their own fans. The key attacking duo of Flavio and Manucho is very important, and they are boosted by the return of the former who had been a doubt because of a hamstring injury. The top goalscorer in the competition, Ghana will have to keep a close eye upon the hitman otherwise it could cost them dearly. The western African side have only played a couple of games so far, and sneaked into the quarter finals by beating Burkina Faso 1-0. But it was an unconvincing success and the injury ravaged side haven’t looked particularly impressive in this CAN so far. Perhaps that could change now, but with the likes of Michael Essien ruled out for the rest of the tournament in addition to a few others, things look a bit bleak. On a more positive note, striker Asamoah Gyan should return to the starting XI following injury. However, I personally think that Ghana will struggle here and eventually Angola will make it through to the semi finals. Whether or not they need more than 90 mins to achieve this remains to be seen, so perhaps its best to take them on a -0.25 or DNB handicap, but overall I see them succeeding. Ivory Coast -1 AH @ 2.23 (4/10) This quarter final will see a big contrast in style between the two teams, the key will be who scores the first goal. Ivory Coast are the favourites to win this competition and have a squad packed full of quality and class. However, they have shown some signs of weakness in this competition already, an example being in the 0-0 draw with Burkina Faso where they were frustrated by their opponents. That draw threatened their place in the quarter finals, but an excellent response was shown against Ghana when they won 3-1. Nevertheless, even in that game they came under some pressure in the 2nd half, and weren’t altogether convincing. Its possible that Algeria could frustrate them here by parking a bus in front of goal and being their usual negative self. I really hate the way they play football, its not a nice advertisement for the game and it’d be good for the competition if they got knocked out today. Even so, we did see them lose 0-3 against Malawi in their opening group game so the frailties are potentially there when put under pressure. Clean sheets facing Mali and Angola have been comfortable, but this’ll be a different and sterner test. Overall, I’m going to back the Ivory coast to prevail, they have such a wealth of qualities that they should be able to break down Algeria eventually. Once the deadlock is broken, the margin of victory will probably be comfortable, its just a question of breaking through the barricades. Good luck all today :ok

Re: Africa » MTN Africa Cup of Nations (10-31 jan 2010) Sport Football (Internationals) Event Cote d'Ivoire vs Algeria Selection Cote d'Ivoire Strength 10/10 Date 24/01/2010 Bookmaker/Price Pinnacle Sports @ 1.63 (Back) Reasoning Cote d'Ivoire is certainly favorite here.With Gervinho and Drogba in team,Cote d'Ivoire have great chance to qualify in next round.Algeria lost in groups with Malawi 0-3,draw with Angola 0-0 and won with Mali 1-0.Cote d'Ivoire obtained a draw with Burkina Faso 0-0 and won 3-1 with Ghana.Cote d'Ivoire I guess can win easy this meeting,because Algeria have a skinny attack. :hope

Re: Africa » MTN Africa Cup of Nations (10-31 jan 2010) Betfair odds (last matched) Angola outright 10.00 Ghana outright 12.00 Angola to qualify 1.70 Ghana to quality 2.42 Angola: 10.00 / 1.70 = 5.88 Ghana: 12.00 / 2.42 = 4.96 So today's underdog more likely to win later matches, if they advance today, than today's favorite? What am I missing? Crucial Ghana player suspended for today? :unsure

Re: Africa » MTN Africa Cup of Nations (10-31 jan 2010) 4pts Ivory Coast (-0.75AH) vs Algeria 1.93 Bet1128 I would expect Ivory Coast to have too much for Algeria in this second quarter final. I don't think we've seen the best of Algeria in this competition and would expect them to be a lot better than they've shown so far but they are up against a powerful Ivory Coast side here who may well be too strong for them. Algeria as well as not playing well have a few injury problems and although Ivory Coast will be without Emmanuel Eboue, they have some of Africa's best players in the Toure's, Drogba and Kalou. Ivory Coast were frustrated by Burkino Faso in their opening match but dominated Ghana last time out and they have franked the form by beating Angola who Algeria only drew with Algeria have been happy to defend in this tournament but they won't be able to keep out the quality of this CIV side for 90 minutes I don't think so unless they have some real hidden attacking intent I would expect Ivory Coast to win, and win well enough to cover this handicap. Any sort of win gives us some sort of profit so I'm happy to be on this handicap at close to evs.

Re: Africa » MTN Africa Cup of Nations (10-31 jan 2010) 1.5pts Cameroon to bt Egypt - 3.1 Stan James Cannot believe that Cameroon are the outsiders for this match. I know they havent played well this tournament but they still have enough quality throughout the side and with Eto up front they have a chance of beating anyone. Egypt still have to be respected though and therefore stakes will be fairly small but the value is Cameroon.

Any thoughts on the Zambia v Nigeria game tonight chaps as the Egypt Cameroon one looks to close to call. My heaqd says Nigeria but I don't know enough about Zambia so any news on team selevtions etc would be helpful
Zambia are an interesting team. They're quite young, pacy and hard working. Decent going forward but there are questions about their defense. Nigeria are favourites here but I'm not sure there should be such a disparity between the odds though. Zambia have already surprised quite a few people in this competition and it wouldn't be a huge surprise to me to see them do the same again. Saying that Nigeria probably deserve their clear favourites tag considering the players they have. I wouldn't want to tip them really but personally I'll be taking Zambia at 6/1.

Re: Africa » MTN Africa Cup of Nations (10-31 jan 2010) Egypt at just under 2's is too good for me to turn down really. They've been the most impressive team in the competition for me so far, as per usual, and they're facing a Cameroon side which haven't really gotten going yet. I'll be taking Egypt at 8/5.

Re: Africa » MTN Africa Cup of Nations (10-31 jan 2010) Zambia v Nigeria - Draw - Stan James - 3.6 Nigeria have been underperforming from all accounts in what must still be a somewhat nervous tournament. With any kind of luck Zambia will be able to maintain parity for at least the first 90 mins even if Nigeria are expected to prevail in the end.

Re: Africa » MTN Africa Cup of Nations (10-31 jan 2010) Egypt have really pissed me off today NO WAY do they deserve to win this match. Cameroon have absolutely battered them, this is an extremely lucky performance. But what pisses me off the most is that free kick, the 3rd goal in ET. How the FCUK can the ref or linesman give that as a goal, the ball is not even close to be over the line? Honestly, someone is really taking the piss here - maybe this tournament is currupt because that is a JOKE decision in the QF of a major competition! Really really annoyed here because Cameroon looked fantastic today and I think would've gone on to win the tournament. I hope anyone but Egpyt win it now, cant stand these cheating lucky *****.

Re: Africa » MTN Africa Cup of Nations (10-31 jan 2010) I will take "lucky" with a grain of salt and a drop of lemon, but how are they "cheaters" I fail to see. The linemen were extremely poor all over the tournament. Offsides with 5 defenders covering is a common feature. Cote d'Ivoire were knocked out after a ligit goal was ruled out for an alleged offside. I accept the assistant referees have generally been performing waaaay below par and it goes both ways, but I still don't see the "cheating" part! :unsure

Zambia v Nigeria - Draw - Stan James - 3.6 Nigeria have been underperforming from all accounts in what must still be a somewhat nervous tournament. With any kind of luck Zambia will be able to maintain parity for at least the first 90 mins even if Nigeria are expected to prevail in the end.
I agree, but I'd rather play the DNB on Zambia. They have nothing to lose and they've impressed in the groups. Also, Nigeria is not such a strong side as the other quarter-finalists. Also, we already had 2 draws in this stage, just statistically speaking :lol

I will take "lucky" with a grain of salt and a drop of lemon, but how are they "cheaters" I fail to see. The linemen were extremely poor all over the tournament. Offsides with 5 defenders covering is a common feature. Cote d'Ivoire were knocked out after a ligit goal was ruled out for an alleged offside. I accept the assistant referees have generally been performing waaaay below par and it goes both ways, but I still don't see the "cheating" part! :unsure
Just a saying isn't it Youssef, leaves a bitter taste. Maybe Egypt aren't directly cheaters but many people will brandish them that, not their fault to be fair. And your right, the officiating in this tournament has been shocking, really has been. But how on earth can that be given as a goal in the quarter finals of a major tourney like this is beyond me. Imagine if this was the WC! there would be a HUGE outcry!

Re: Africa » MTN Africa Cup of Nations (10-31 jan 2010) Well, we both agree that African referees in THIS TOURNAMENT are performing extremely poor. But it does happen in other continets too.. not as frequently maybe, but I seem to recall a certain "fellon" officiating the UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE 2nd leg last season (Chelsea v Barca). Now even without that goal Egypt would have won 2-1. I even said I'd take "lucky" with a grain of salt because when you calm down and look at it, Cameroon didn't even score once. Ahmad hassan did them the favour, and then went back and scored the equaliser. Cameroon did not have as many 1 on 1 chances against EL Hadary, while Emad Met'eb is pissing 80+ million Egyptians with his continuous silly misses. Overall, I'd say the "tactically better" team won. We knew it was going to be a big game, and we played with much patience waiting for our moment(s) to sting, and it worked. Our defenders also passed back to EL hadary way too often, but no Cameroon striker tried to do what Geddo did. Now we're off for what my English boss would call "WW III" in the semi-final against Algeria, so we really need to improve on our finishing!

Re: Africa » MTN Africa Cup of Nations (10-31 jan 2010) yes egypt was lucky and that 3rd goal was just imaginary. Referee has been poor throughout the competiton and i think they should be ban from this coming world cup. Paul le guen is getting it wrong with cameroon and this team is far from being stable, too many mistake and individual errors..

Re: Africa » MTN Africa Cup of Nations (10-31 jan 2010) what a nightmare for Cameroon, contraversial game for sure ... but obviously i'm very happy, because of my both bets went Ok, after all discusions to bet on over or under i went for the draw on one and the other mach to win, the odd 10 :clap damn what a pick :cheers

Re: Africa » MTN Africa Cup of Nations (10-31 jan 2010) there were alot of yellow cards.if a team goes 2 the next round do they count?? r both teams (egypt-algeria) with so many cards @ full sqaud.maby somebody can fresh me up,because i lost track of the cards been giving on the teams.thnk u.

Re: Africa » MTN Africa Cup of Nations (10-31 jan 2010) Sport Football (Internationals) Event Ghana vs Nigeria Selection Draw Strength 10/10 Date 28/01/2010 Bookmaker/Price Pinnacle Sports @ 3.02 (Back) Reasoning Here will be certainly a match very balanced.Ghana won last round 10 with Angola(goal Gyan),while Nigeria obtained a draw with Zambia,winning after penalties.Gyan will be the danger for Nigeria defensive ,while from Nigeria the danger for Ghana can come from Martins,Yakubu or Odemwingie.I feel a draw here after 90th minutes.

Re: Africa » MTN Africa Cup of Nations (10-31 jan 2010) Ghana - Nigeria Interesting game this. Nigeria haven't performed well in the competition yet and just scraped by Zambia on penalties in the quarters. Not entirely convinving. Ghana obviously have massive absentees but this is a very young, energetic team that have done very well under-age. They've performed well despite losing to the Ivory Coast 3-2. Could easily see this being a draw but I'm going to take Ghana to win. Ghana @ 9/5 A. Gyan first goalscorer @ 13/2 Algeria - Eygpt The big one. No need for any history lesson here as it's well known. Needless to say it'll be very tasty, on and off the pitch. On it, I'd have to take Eygpt. They'll be out for big revenge for the World Cup playoff defeat and have been the most impressive team in the competition so far. The card index will be taken as well. Eygpt @ 11/8 Card Index - over 80 @ 6/5 Red Card @ 7/4

there were alot of yellow cards.if a team goes 2 the next round do they count?? r both teams (egypt-algeria) with so many cards @ full sqaud.maby somebody can fresh me up,because i lost track of the cards been giving on the teams.thnk u.
Neither side will have any suspensions for this game, but Egypt have 5 players on 1 yellow, and Algeria have "maybe" 6, so chance are there will be suspensions in the final/3rd place play-off (i.e. yes, yellow cards do count from previous rounds)

Re: Africa » MTN Africa Cup of Nations (10-31 jan 2010) Does anyone think a booking before 24th minute is value at 5/6 in the Algeria Vrs Egypt match??? A was just thinking this might b better value than the 4/6 on Egypt to qualify?

Re: Africa » MTN Africa Cup of Nations (10-31 jan 2010) Algeria v Egypt - 9.5 - Paddy Power - Algeria to score from penalty Been plenty of real time draws already and these teams are well matched so 3.25 looks good. Very tempted to go for the red card too - about even money I reckon - but priced at 2.8. Decided in the end I need a decent price winner so going (for small stakes) for Algeria to score from penalty,

Does anyone think a booking before 24th minute is value at 5/6 in the Algeria Vrs Egypt match??? A was just thinking this might b better value than the 4/6 on Egypt to qualify?
Hadn't seen that. I think with the history red cards are very likely - and 5/6 looks good(ish) to me. If you could gt 14s or better on the whole thing being abandoned before the end I'd take that!