** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

How low have you gone to have a bet?

Just come across this story on the RP about a gambler that stole almost £5 million for gambling purposes....

A GAMBLING addict is facing jail after he admitted stealing almost £5 million from Birmingham University. Paul Sadler, the former managing director of Birmingham Research and Development Ltd, a trading subsidiary of the university,pleaded guilty to stealing the money from his firm between December 1994 and January 2008. The company, from which Sadler, 49, from Hallow, Worcestershire, resigned shortly before his arrest, oversees the sale of rights to the university's 'intellectual property' around the world, including research and inventions. Sadler's bookkeeper, Christine Eggleton, 51, of Rubery, also admitted theft of £2.1 million, again from BRDL, when the pair, who also pleaded guilty to a charge of conspiracy to defraud by submitting false invoices, appeared at Birmingham Crown Court. Last year Sadler, who was MD of the company for seven years, admitted to the Birmingham Sunday Mercury that he took the money to fund his gambling.
Who do you reckon he's blown it on then...Robin The Till? But joking aside, gambling can become a problem for some. I remember watching a programme on TV not so long ago, some drama, and a gambling addict of a dad broke open his kids piggy bank so he'd have some money for a bet. Has anyone else stooped low before to get hold of betting funds and are open enough to admit it? Or do you know of someone? On a personal note, although frequency of betting has been something that has caused me trouble in the past, every bet I have placed has been out of my own pocket and I'd like to think I'd never get that desperate for a bet that I'd go to some of the extremes mentioned above.

Re: How low have you gone to have a bet? :eek Some of the stuff you here of is a bit extreme. I'll be honest, I've blown my own money plenty of times as I'm sure alot of us have in the past. Stealing money is when it becomes a problem, I can sort of understand if you have no job and no income the 'need' to steal money...but if you do steel it and then gamble it all away, what's the points. :unsure Especially 5 million, ffs!!

Re: How low have you gone to have a bet? Only my own money although there have been times when people would say I shouldn't have. Got so many responsibilities now that I'm fully testing anything before putting so much as a penny on it. Before I'd have all these crazy ideas that just might work and couldn't resist jumping straight in.

Re: How low have you gone to have a bet? Only ever done my own money, Never been in a position and never will be that gambling has such a grip you would do anything to get the money. I suppose It's like some going to the pub a few nights a week for a couple of pints where as the other chap at the bar would sell his telly just to get his hands on that pint. Gambling addiction is going to rise in younger people as more and more are taking to feeding those roulette machines with obscene amounts of money. The fact these machines even take credit cards is madness.

Re: How low have you gone to have a bet? I have never resolved to the lowest of stealing, but nearly twenty years ago i did sell a lot of my prize possessions to fund my gambling. Then realized that what i was doing was childish and irrisponsible. you learn by your mistakes in this game, and most of all you can lose everything. This guy embezzled funds and deserves everything he gets

Re: How low have you gone to have a bet? I view bet discipline as the number one factor in being able to control your punting,years ago i would bet horses that never even came under my system betting during the course of a day for many reasons ,must state none were the right reason. I would either be well up on the day or struggling at the time and in my mind i would say if this wins at least i pull back some of my money,but you know what happens you lose and if you win you have this nagging sense in your mind that you will lose soon if you follow this course of betting. The upshot for me is that you must learn from this and stick to the path of betting that is at ease with your mind and bank but the sad thing in life is some people dont learn and then things go tits up, my view is that its a fine line when betting as it can give you so much joy but can also give you so much pain,as Don Corleone said this is the life we choose .

Re: How low have you gone to have a bet? I used to be addicted to gambling only a couple of years ago when i was 14/15. Used to spend all my money on fruit machines, heads or tails, money up the wall, roulette and blackjack machines. Luckily, i learnt my lesson early in life, these days solely focus on football and a bit of horse racing. Still need to work on my discipline even more but it's far better than it used to be.

Re: How low have you gone to have a bet?

I remember watching a programme on TV not so long ago' date=' some drama, and a gambling addict of a dad broke open his kids piggy bank so he'd have some money for a bet.[/quote'] Sunshine. :ok Absolutely cracking drama starring Steve Coogan and Bernard Hill. Well worth buying the dvd.

Re: How low have you gone to have a bet? Always my own money although two years ago when I was 17 I had withdrawn about £60-80 for my holiday, can't remember the exact amount but blown most of it on the machine in the bookie then luckily with my last tenner won it all back. My heart was racing and never again would I do/risk that on the machines.

Re: How low have you gone to have a bet? Yeah like many here i used to spend hours and hours on fruity in our college pub luckily we didnt have anything fancy and was jus time i tended to waste, as for machines in bookies wudnt touch them with a barge pole theyre there for one thing only and thats to line the pocket of the bookie atleast with horses its your own judgement massive difference in my opinion personally I have never stooped or felt the need that i must bet if i cant afford its simple I dont bet i do it for enjoyment and nothing more!!

Re: How low have you gone to have a bet? Think most people with a problem are those who bet regularly. Non-betting days outnumber betting days for me. Never betting on every race, even when going racing. Indeed, right now, (between Racing Post Trophy day and Paddy Power Gold cup meeting) I don't bet at all (bar one or two ante post). Do think it is important every now and again to go a few weeks without betting to prove to yourself you don't have a problem. Never bet money that I can't afford to lose. But have always bet amounts that mean something if I do lose. So that I don't fritter it away. Must admit, a bit surprised someone who is underage is allowed on a gambling site like this one. I recognise not all under age punters "have a problem" but these are internet pages. We don't actually know the person behind any name. I don't think we (as a nation) take under age betting seriously enough.

Re: How low have you gone to have a bet?

Think most people with a problem are those who bet regularly. Non-betting days outnumber betting days for me. Never betting on every race, even when going racing. Indeed, right now, (between Racing Post Trophy day and Paddy Power Gold cup meeting) I don't bet at all (bar one or two ante post). Do think it is important every now and again to go a few weeks without betting to prove to yourself you don't have a problem. Never bet money that I can't afford to lose. But have always bet amounts that mean something if I do lose. So that I don't fritter it away. Must admit, a bit surprised someone who is underage is allowed on a gambling site like this one. I recognise not all under age punters "have a problem" but these are internet pages. We don't actually know the person behind any name. I don't think we (as a nation) take under age betting seriously enough.
I use this site to follow horse racing, something which has grown on me which i enjoy a lot. I occasionally bet on horses, maybe once a week. However, i enjoy the sport and follow it quite closely these days. I like the challenge of trying to work out the puzzle of a race and use this site to share tips and learn more off other members. Also, don't really see how you can stop people underage joining a gambling site, people would just say their over 18.

Re: How low have you gone to have a bet? Difficult to comprehend how this thief got away with it for so long given the amount involved. Makes me wonder how many similair stories are unfolding and bound to be caught. My own tale of shame happened around 15-16 years ago. I`ve always backed horses since adulthood (40+ now) although after discovering Poker about five years ago I`ve barely looked at them.I suppose I get my "fix" from Poker not to mention far greater profits! Anyway, at one point I was in between jobs and had to sign on the unemployment register.I had always been a fairly well paid printer so when I cashed the first Giro I received at the P.O., the bookies directly across the road beckoned me :welcome I was even more of a mug punter back then compared to now and it wasn`t long or too many silly bets before I realized I had blown more than 50% of my Giro. To this day I find it hard to describe the shame that engulfed me and the horror at the prospect of telling the Mrs what I had done. Even now I`m ashamed at the sheer idiocy of wasting money at a time I should`ve been guarding every penny. I did learn though and have never gambled with that degree of stupidity ever again. :clap