I feel a bit silly ...

slapdash

I just played a $3 rebuy satellite on Betfair, with about 28 players and seven seats guaranteed to a $50+$5 tournament. I hadn't looked at the structure. Five minute levels. 1500 starting stacks. 12 (!) levels before the end of the rebuy period, which meant that the last level before the add-on was $800/$1600 blinds: a big blind was more than the chips you'd get from a rebuy! A buy-in, 14 rebuys and one add-on ($48.30 total outlay) later, I eventually bubbled (AQs in the BB, posting the blind put me all-in, I was delighted when nobody called except the SB with A10s, but he hit his flush). The silly thing is, I still can't convince myself that any of my decisions to rebuy were -EV, and I'm tempted to try again. :$

Re: I feel a bit silly ... If I enter a rebuy I generally allow myself room for 1 rebuy and 1 add on if I need it, although certain exceptions are made depending on the game and situation. I can't get my head around 14 rebuys though mate, were you just in clicky clicky mode or what? :lol

Re: I feel a bit silly ...

If I enter a rebuy I generally allow myself room for 1 rebuy and 1 add on if I need it, although certain exceptions are made depending on the game and situation. I can't get my head around 14 rebuys though mate, were you just in clicky clicky mode or what? :lol
Well, towards the end of the rebuy period, there were only 11 players left, and there were 7 seats guaranteed, so each time I went all-in and got knocked out, it seemed silly not to pay another $3 for another go at a $55 seat. :lol

Well' date=' towards the end of the rebuy period, there were only 11 players left, and there were 7 seats guaranteed, so each time I went all-in and got knocked out, it seemed silly not to pay another $3 for another go at a $55 seat. :lol[/quote'] I suppose so, if you didn't bubble I guess you would have won a $55 seat for $48.30 so if you felt you could/should have made it and the stack sizes Guppie mentioned were within reasonable reach I can sort of see your +EV argument. Like I said, I would have left the tourney after one rebuy because its a personal rule I try to keep too, your roll and your choice mate. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Re: I feel a bit silly ... next time you want to go into a rebuy game set a limit on how many rebuys you want to make and stick to it then you wont feel embarassed.gif about how many rebuys you make. did you get into the top 7 and into the $50+$5 tournament?? If you did and made a porfit then i would say it was worth it, if not then just put it down to a learning experiance.

Re: I feel a bit silly ... You should never have a "rebuy limit". The decision to rebuy should be based on many things... current blinds average stack chips at your table ability of your table players left prize money There's probably more. Sometimes it can be correct to not rebuy, sometimes it can be correct to have 10 rebuys (or more), but you should never have a figure in mind before the game starts. Not if you want to maximise your chances, that decision must come later.

You should never have a "rebuy limit". The decision to rebuy should be based on many things... current blinds average stack chips at your table ability of your table players left prize money There's probably more. Sometimes it can be correct to not rebuy, sometimes it can be correct to have 10 rebuys (or more), but you should never have a figure in mind before the game starts. Not if you want to maximise your chances, that decision must come later.
:ok Probably explains why no one ever answers the rebuy strategy threads put forward. Regards chips at table I remember being in a rebuy at prima were one guy virtually bought the entire table a seat at the final table he needeed to finish 3rd to make a profit which he did and he also pointed out he had won a similer tourney 2 hours previous which he had. Think the most important factor is your own ability which explains why I play mostly freezeouts:rollin