away favor!

den haag

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: away favor! :lol No just realistic and honest mate which is pretty rare in the world of keyboard warriors these days.Thanks for your interest though. ;) I was just surprised that you thought the strike rate was impressive when frankly it's not. Other 'less experienced' punters read these threads and it's only fair that the pros and cons, successes and failures of all strategies are posted as much for their benefit as anyone elses. You appreciate the staking system was suicidal - do a google search on martingale and you'll be surprised how many people think it works! And as a victim of martingale in my early 'stupid' days, I hate to see other people going down the same route (as in this thread). Apologies if the bit that you quoted was a little aggressive - it wasn't my intention. One of the problems I guess of posting on a forum. It doesn't always read how it's written. I was actually concerned for den haag as as mentioned, I've been in the position of financially screwing myself up with martingale in earlier days and it's a dreadful and destructive feeling. A hard lesson well learnt! Looking at his profile, he hasn't even logged into PL since the day Chelsea and Celtic would have finished his bank off and that in itself is a worry. I do sincerely hope he's ok and just taking a break from punting rather than in some sort of financial doom! Have a good day. :ok

No need to apologise...... as you say, the printed word does not always express your true meaning. I was actually referring to a "handbags" fight between you and The Man back in November on the 2009-10 Man United thread..... but as you are apparently a fellow ManU supporter, I will let you off this time ;) Probably a bit before your time, but the guy in my avatar is a certain Mr. George Best (RIP).... shows you how old I am :loon

Re: away favor! Chanced upon this thread.. I do admit that I was a victim of Martingale. In my opinion, I do not think that Martingale is suicidal IF you starting stake is a small small small portion of the bank. For example, you have 1,000,000 points and your stake is 1 point (followed by 2, 4, 8...), it would be able to last for 19 times. If you are going for odds that are around evens, I don't think it's easy to have a run of 19 losses. The main problem lies in that nobody with the right mind will spend $1 betting on a match when you have $1 million sitting your bank earning interest. To the person who is that rich, it's probably a waste a time. To me, punters' failure with Martingale is more due to human nature or the way humans think.

Re: away favor!

Chanced upon this thread.. I do admit that I was a victim of Martingale. In my opinion, I do not think that Martingale is suicidal IF you starting stake is a small small small portion of the bank. For example, you have 1,000,000 points and your stake is 1 point (followed by 2, 4, 8...), it would be able to last for 19 times. If you are going for odds that are around evens, I don't think it's easy to have a run of 19 losses. The main problem lies in that nobody with the right mind will spend $1 betting on a match when you have $1 million sitting your bank earning interest. To the person who is that rich, it's probably a waste a time. To me, punters' failure with Martingale is more due to human nature or the way humans think.
That's true to a large degree but there are other not so obvious factors to consider :- Are the bets you take true evens chances ? .... if it's worse than that, it makes a nasty losing run even more likely, and it's amazing how long a losing run you can expect mathematically ... then there's the liquidity problem as the bets get larger are you certain to get covered ... even if you do the price you will get will almost certainly be a bad price ... and the price you take on bets is equal in importance at the very least to the selection method by which they are chosen. Martingale in whatever form is best to be avoided for numerous reasons.