Double Chance Freeze Out

muttley

I'm looking to play in a Double Chance Freeze Out MTT. The format is each player starts with 5,000pts and receives a further 5,000 if knocked out. Any player who hasn't received the bonus gets the 5,000 after 1 hour. How should this structure affect how I play in the early stages? Can I be more aggressive knowing I'm not putting my whole tourney on the line? Also, how do you play if you lose, say, half your chips early on. If you have 2,000 chips and the blinds are 100/200 are you short stacked or medium stacked?

Re: Double Chance Freeze Out i would say it should only effect your play if it effects everyone elses;) if the rest of the table seems to have adopted the "its a rebuy" mentality then playing tight actually has it's advantages:ok i'd just play big pps and maybe ak aq and just hope to double thru the first hour. you never know you might pick up the hands in this hour and build a big stack(if its an aggressive table you usually get some action:hope) if not you only lose a couple of thousand chips max before the first break . that leaves you a very workable stack after the addon and a very tight table image,usually you can then put in a few well timed bluffs that will win you way more than you lost before the break anyway. if you do get short early on then i would try to conserve as many chips for after the break as possible but i would be more active nearer the button trying to steal,its difficult for someone to call a 2000 bet and your tourney's not on the line ,so it becomes more worthwhile. however i would guess that most people wouldn't be playing as if it's a rebuy. i would be looking at it more as a backup in case of one of those ks vs aces moments and just play "normal",if there is such a thing:loon.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Double Chance Freeze Out I played in this tourney last night and the format was slightly different to how I described. Players were allowed their top up AT ANY TIME! So now my question is this. Why wouldn't I ask for my top up on hand #1?

Re: Double Chance Freeze Out

The traditional answer is that you should top up immediately' date=' IF you think you are better than the rest of the players. That way you can win the most chips off them.[/quote'] That's what I thought, yet no-one did.

Re: Double Chance Freeze Out not sure if i agree with that or not:unsure yes i admit that making the maximum out of weaker players as possible is obviously preferable but a better player is more likely to outplay a weaker player over a larger amount of hands.by adding on immediately your whole stack is possibly the line ,leaving yourself open to greater variance on one hand. if it was a rebuy then i would definately double as soon as possible but a double chance i wouldn't.its the same principle as small ball poker really ,trying not to get your whole stack in vs weaker players but trying to outplay them over a larger number of hands ,so cutting down your variance:ok