Newbury 17/4/09

Re: Newbury 17/4/09 1.35 Newbury Shark Man's success in the 5.45 maiden at Wolverhampton was yet another form boost for the Brocklesby, a race that has now thrown up winners in the shape of Archers Road (2k maiden, 5k novices race), Shark Man (2k maiden), Chicita Banana (3k maiden) and Eight Hours (3k maiden). Heslington was second at Beverley earlier in the week and may also have races in him and Trade Secret is another that has come second in the aftermath of the Doncaster curtain raiser. Pullyourfingerout was 8th in the Brock, finishing between Chicita Banana and Eight Hours, and is the only runner with racecourse experience in this line up. Admittedly, this is a stronger race than some of the maidens contested by the aforementioned runners, but Brendan Powell's colt is perfectly entitled to build upon that debut run and give a good account here. There is speed in his pedigree from the dams side and given the 25/1 price tag (Bet 365) I'm having a tickle. There are better bred horses in the line up that hold big race entries, but he may be up to grabbing a place. EW

Re: Newbury 17/4/09 3.15 Newbury Palavicini will be going on my ten to follow list if he gives a good account today; John Dunlop's colt has some strong juvenile form and his second to Delegator on his debut in a Newmarket debut maiden looks all the better for yesterday's results, with Delegator now installed as the new ante-post favourite for the 2k Guineas after romping home in the Craven yesterday. It may be also noteworthy that he had Four Winds two and a quarter lengths behind in that Newmarket debut, yet Michael Bell's horse is half the price of the Dunlop charge here and heads the market. On his second start Palavicini was 3rd at this track in a conditions race, but he raced keenly and the RP suggest he would have been suited by a stronger pace. He then lost his maiden tag last time out over a mile here, finishing one length clear of the second even though he found himself at the front of the field earlier than jockey Ahern hoped. Firmer ground here is expected to suit and given he is out of a Sadler's Well mare I think he is worth a try at the trip, especially since he stayed on strongly over a mile last time. 9/2 Bet 365, 1 pt.

Re: Newbury 17/4/09 Rarely have a strong view on the racing but had some time this week to look more closely and there is a horse today that is of interest. Sonny Red in the 2.40 has been highly tried by Richard Hannon over the last couple of years running mainly in Class 1 races over 6 furlongs (the last effort was over 7 furlongs) and from his record it looks as though he has become disenchanted with the game. All 3 of his wins have been over 5 furlongs on soft ground - the only time he has lost over 5 furlongs was in the Abbaye. Back into handicap company today over 5 furlongs in softish ground (more rain due). Have taken a chance that the move to Dandy Nicholls will have rekindled the enthusiasm and accepted Bet365's BOG offer of 14/1 e/w. Beware my racing betting form is rubbish...

Re: Newbury 17/4/09 2.10 Fareer 11/1 pp bog 5pts e.w Possibly interesting that hills has chosen this one today ahead of his fathers whos maiden form hasn’t really been boosted. This one ran a promising race on debut and then followed up to win at odds on. However it was its last run which I considered most interesting. In a nursery off 79 it went down half a length but undoubtedly was in a hot race that day. The winner is now a mid 90s horse, the third behind subsequent good sort awinnersgame afterwards, the fourth is now 106 rated, the fifth has won twice since, the six, seventh and the well beaten tenth have also won since so really the only horse not to come out and do anything are the well enough beaten eight and ninth. That was certainly a raced that worked out, Fareer is 8 pounds higher today but in the context of that race and considering how further improvement is a big possibility and that hills has favoured it, he is the pick. 3.15 Palavicini 5/1 sj bog 5 pts e.w I sort of feel the e.w bet is a bit wasted here with just two runners but nonetheless going for it for it with 1/4 odds so if it places some profit. This one has some decent form at times. On his debut he ran ahead of our winds in a race that worked out so well behind delegator and palavicini, unusually backed on his debut for one from that yard, ran a stormer. After that he went up to a conditions race to perhaps be a slightly disappointing third but in tamer he might just have bumped into one and he looked just a little bit one paced that day. He was actually less behind tamer than four winds but clearly that was in a better race. After that he got off the mark in a maiden. Overall though he has shown lots of promise in some races that have worked out so far. Also this added trip today shapes as though it will suit with perhaps a slight concern that he can be a free pulling type so he will need to be settled but if he can settle, he should get this trip and he could go well in what looks a good contest. 4.25 Hyades 5/2 bet3 bog 10 pts Cecil hasn’t had that impressive a last couple of days but earlier had started the season with some promise and this looks a nice type. Its related to horses of the quality of shiva and light shift and ran really encouragingly on debut to second. The horse who beat it earlier has listed form on its debut, the third is ok but not really special, alhaque has been a bit disappointing although the fifth has wince so perhaps the form of that race wasn’t great but still cecil’s horse created a favourable impression on its debut and should come on for it. An increase in trip today and on pedigree and on style of first run over shorter it should suit and could go close. Another I like here is lasso the Moon’s first run behind my pick in the 3.15 but it disappointed afterwards and even though he is saddlers wells, he is closely related to some speedier types and Im not certain about the trip for him at this stage in his career. Hyades for me.

Re: Newbury 17/4/09 14:40 - 6740.GIF Chief Editor TBP @ 5/4 Paddys Enjoyed a good season last year and the yard will look to build on that here, he ran a nice race finishing 3rd lto in a good race up in Doncaster, hacked up before that at Haydock, the ground should be in favour of this horse today, Jarvis stable are in good form with 17 of there 32 horses placed so far.

Re: Newbury 17/4/09 1.35 Newbury - Pullyourfingerout - e/w - 25/1BOG - Paddy The form of the Brocklesby is there for all to see with 4 of the vanquished having come out and won since and another couple coming 2nd. Pullyourfingerout came 8th in that race and the 7th and 9th have won since, plus he had a poor draw in 3 with double figure stalls filling the first 6 places home. There's also some argument for this GS ground today suiting him better than the GF ground at Doncaster, and, as the only runner with experience in today's field, he looks overpriced at 25/1. 2.10 - Fareer - e/w - 11/1BOG - Bet365 Finished 1/2l behind Measurement at Newmarket lto over this distance on this going. Unfortunate to bump into that one as he was 2 1/2l clear of the third. Been put up 8lbs for that defeat which seems a tad harsh, but given that Measurement is now 13lbs higher then it the rise isn't unsurmountable. This is also Richard Hills' chosen of the Hamdan Al Maktoum pair. 2.40 - Holbeck Ghyll - e/w - 11/1BOG - Bet365 Returned with a lifetime best on last season's reappearance and only got better as the year progressed, signing off with a handicap win off 5lb lower than today at Epsom in the 'Dash' last June. His form is on Good mainly, but his sire handled GS ok, and providing this one is fit to go after a longer break then he looks sure to be in the mix. 3.15 - Four Winds - LAY - 3.60 Betfair I like the chances of Palavicini, Father Time and Your Old Pal more than I like those of Four Winds here. Choosing between the aforementioned trio is tough, and the bet for me here is to lay Four Winds at the 13/5 available. Palavicini finished 2 1/4l ahead of Four Winds on their debuts, and whilst the latter improved to come 3rd in a Group 3 race, the 10f trip will be better suited to Palavicini, as well as FT and YOP, than FW in my opinion.

Re: Newbury 17/4/09 2.40 Chief Editor - good form on soft ground stable 2-11 last 14 days Oldjoesaid - excellent form on soft ground, stable 1-5 Fullandby - better over 6f, stable 0-2 Cheveton - won on soft stable 1-4 Max one two three - won on g/soft stable 2-8 Sonny red - has won on soft , stable 5-33 Crimson fern - good record on g/soft (2 from 2) - stable 1-5 Phanton whisper - won on soft - stable 2-11 Sohraab - won on g/soft, stable 1-8 Cake - placed only on soft, stable 5-33 Holbeck ghyll - better on fast, stable 4-12 Elhamri - better on firm, stable 0-4 Angus Newz - likes the ground, stable 0-6 Some stables in reasonable form to dat with a number of these off the mark already for the season. The softer ground will be a factor today hence the notes above, Crimson fern looks too high in the weights now, Oldjoesaid is back on a winning mark (102), Sohraab would be in the placings if performing to best only 2lb higher than highest winning mark, Chief Editor needs to improve again to win off this mark. Recommendation Oldjoesaid 7/2 Ladbrokes Sohraab EW 14/1 Ladbrokes

Re: Newbury 17/4/09 2:10 Newbury Tough race to call this, I can't really rule many horses out of it. The horses I'm going for are 2 relative outsiders, the first one is Daddy's Gift. Won a class 2 in good style LTO while coming second in a class 4 in his race before that. He has a very high price for a number of reasons, mainly being raised in the handicap for his last win. However, he only recieves 5lbs for it and has raced on the turf before and after his recent performances has to be taken into consideration. He beat some nice horses LTO including Satwa Street and Five Star Junior. Daddy's Gift E/W 22/1 betfair I also like the look of Brief Encounter another outsider. He has only had 3 races and came 3rd, 2nd and 1st respectivly, he's getting a feel for racing and he beat some nice horses rather well LTO. Hasn't been seen since September but the horses he beat well have won a few since then. With the 4th palced horse winning 3 times in a row. First time in a handicap so we will see how it does but is on a low handicap in the race (83). Step up in class may be a concern but at the price it's at is worth a lookin Brief Encounter E/W 18/1 betfair