Cricket: County Championship 2009 Division 2

The county season gets underway this Wednesday and as usual it begins with the County Championship. I went with 1 thread last season but I'm going with 2 threads this season because if the outright markets are anything to go by I think we might get more markets for the domestic stuff this season, especially with cricket being in the spotlight all summer. I've done a preview for each team but just a quick reminder of the rules for anyone who is new to the domestic scene. The Championship is split into 2 divisions of 9 teams. At the end of the season the bottom two in the 1st division are replaced by the top 2 in Division 2. Points are given as follows:

14pts per win

7pts per tie

4 pts for a draw

0pts for a loss

Matches last a possible 4 days and are 2 innings per side with unlimited overs. Teams are given bonus points based on how they perform in the 1st innings of each match. They are scored as follows:

Batting bonus points

200-249 runs = 1pt

250-299 runs = 2pts

300-349 runs = 3pts

350-399 runs = 4pts

400+ runs = 5pts

Bowling bonus points

3-5 wickets = 1pt

6-8 wickets = 2pts

9-10 wickets = 3pts

Bonus points only apply for the 1st 130 overs of the 1st innings. As with last season, sides can only have one overseas player at any one time.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Cricket: County Championship 2009 Division 2

SortAlphaOff.gif SortFavOnAsc.gif
v15.gif v6074.gif v6139.gif v1.gif v6169.gif v6171.gif v6006.gif v2.gif v3.gif v6002.gif v10.gif v6018.gif v502.gif v6001.gif v4.gif v401.gif
chart_off.gifKent 2.75 Betfred">2.75 2.75 2.87 Boylesports">2.62 2.75 3 3 Paddy Power">2.37 3 2.87 2.37 2.87 Victor Chandler">2.75 William Hill">2.87 Betfair">2.6
chart_off.gif Middlesex 5.5 Betfred">5.5 5.5 5 Boylesports">4.5 6 5 5 Paddy Power">5.5 6 5.5 5.5 4.5 Victor Chandler">5 William Hill">5 Betfair">5.9
chart_off.gif Essex 5 Betfred">5 5.5 5.5 Boylesports">6 5.5 5.5 5 Paddy Power">6 5 5 5.5 6 Victor Chandler">5 William Hill">4.5 Betfair">6.6
chart_off.gif Surrey 6 Betfred">5.5 5 5.5 Boylesports">7 5.75 4.5 5 Paddy Power">6 5.5 5.5 5 5.5 Victor Chandler">5 William Hill">5 Betfair">5.7
chart_off.gif Northamptonshire 10 Betfred">11 11 13 Boylesports">13 13 9 9 Paddy Power">10 11 11 15 13 Victor Chandler">13 William Hill">13 Betfair">17.5
chart_off.gif Derbyshire 17 Betfred">17 19 17 Boylesports">23 17 21 11 Paddy Power">23 15 19 26 17 Victor Chandler">21 William Hill">21 Betfair">23
chart_off.gif Leicestershire 21 Betfred">21 23 26 Boylesports">26 19 26 17 Paddy Power">26 15 21 26 21 Victor Chandler">21 William Hill">26 Betfair">28
chart_off.gif Glamorgan 21 Betfred">26 23 21 Boylesports">29 19 13 26 Paddy Power">23 15 26 26 21 Victor Chandler">21 William Hill">17 Betfair">28
chart_off.gif Gloucestershire 365">34 Betfred">21 34 34 Boylesports">34 26 26 21 Paddy Power">21 26 26 34 26 Victor Chandler">26 William Hill">34 Betfair">40
Place terms 3 1/53 1/53 1/53 1/53 1/5 3 1/43 1/53 1/53 1/53 1/53 1/5
Derbyshire were touted to be a strong force last season but it never really happened and another season of struggling ensued and I don’t see things changing this season either. Chris Rogers takes over as the captain full time after Rikki Clarke left for Warwickshire. Even with the Australian’s qualities it’s hard to see the Phantoms competing for anything. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Tim Groenewald looks a good signing from Warwickshire and Mark Lawson has plenty of ability. Stuart Law should provide some strength to their one day batting lineup but with Charl Langeveldt away at the IPL for the 1st six weeks of the season their bowling attack looks a bit bare. Everything would have to go to plan for <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Derby to be competitive in what is a very tough looking division.

Last Season: 6th

Overseas Player(s): Chris Rogers

Key Players: Chris Rogers & Graham Wagg

Best Odds: 25/1 Stan James

Predicted Finishing Position: 9th

Essex had an excellent season last year, winning the Friends Provident Trophy and Pro 40 Division 2 and making the semi finals of the Twenty20 Cup as well but in the 4 day game they were just edged out for promotion. They look set to be without Ravi Bopara for much of the season with him on England duty.

Matt Walker is a clever player and should score lots of runs down at Chelmsford and with Danish Kaneria available for much of the season then a promotion to the 1st division could well be on the cards, especially if they can find a new ball partner for David Masters while Graham Napier is at the IPL.

Last Season: 5th

Overseas Player(s): Danish Kaneria

Key Players: Mark Pettini & Danish Kaneria

Best Odds: 5/1 Various

Predicted Finishing Position: 2nd

Glamorgan have been in the transitional period whilst funds were being spent on the stadium but with an Ashes test this year the coffers have been swelled nicely for the Dragons to sign overseas players to cover the season in Mark Cosgrove and Herschelle Gibbs. There were signs in the Pro40 that this Glamorgan team were starting to benefit from the astute coaching of Matthew Maynard and that could continue this season albeit the one day route looking the best way to success.

David Hemp has been released so Jamie Dalrymple has taken over the captaincy and he’ll have ex Leicester man Garnett Kruger to call upon with the ball in place of Jason Gillespie. AlexWharf is a key man and if can take wickets and the pitches turn a bit then the Welsh side will be competitive. Runs could be a problem which is why the one day formats is where I’d expect Glamorgan’s best results to come.

Last Season: 8th

Overseas Player(s): Mark Cosgrove (Until after World Twenty20) & Herschelle Gibbs (July onwards)

Best Odds: 28/1 Boylesports

Predicted Finishing Position: 7th

Gloucestershire have been reunited with John Bracewell again and he’s kept Jack Russell on the staff. Jon Lewis has stepped down as captain with Alex Gidman taking over. In Bracewell’s 1st reign at the club, the Gladiators were the best one day outfit in the country and the Bristol members will hope those days return after a fairly miserable season last time out.

Richard Dawson has been signed permanently while New Zealand all rounder James Franklin has been recruited as the overseas player. The loss of Mark Hardinges and Marcus North could hamper Gloucestershire but they still have enough there to be competitive in the one day game but look weak with the ball in the 4 day game.

Last Season: 9th

Overseas Player(s): James Franklin

Key Players: Hamish Marshall & Jon Lewis

Best Odds: 33/1 Various

Predicted Finishing Position: 8th

Kentwere relegated to Division 2 on the last week of the season last year but they look like the team to beat this year. Other than their relegation they had an excellent season, finishing runners up in the Friends Provident and Twenty20 Cup and being in the promotion mix in Pro40 until the last day. They have retained most of their squad and the signing of Stuart Clark looks a very good one.

Rob Ferley has returned to Canterbury which could well enhance their one day prospects and if Rob Key and Joe Denly remain with them all summer and van Jaarsveld have a decent season with the bat Kent will be very hard to beat and promotion back to Division 1 looks a strong possibility.

Last Season: 8th in Division 1

Overseas Player(s): Stuart Clark (until June)

Key Players: Martin van Jaarsveld & Robbie Joseph

Best Odds: 2/1 Various

Predicted Finishing Position: 1st

Leicestershire had a fairly poor season last time but with their young batsmen having had a season to get to grips at this level and an improved bowling attack they look set to go better this term. Their main chance of success could well be the Pro40 but it’s always dangerous to write them off in the Twenty20 Cup.

Iain O’Brien looks a good choice for overseas player and if he and Andrew Harris can start the season well and get among the wickets there will be reason for optimism at Grace Rd. HD Ackerman is a run machine and the Foxes faithful will be expecting much better things from Boeta Dippenaar this season and if a couple of the youngsters bat well around them Leicester could sneak into the promotion hunt but won’t be helped by this division being as strong as it’s ever been.

Last Season: 7th

Overseas Player(s): Iain O’Brien

Key Players: HD Ackerman & Iain O’Brien

Best Odds: 25/1 Various

Predicted Finishing Position: 6th

Middlesex had their best season for a long time last season when they picked up the Twenty20 Cup. However they were relegated in the Pro40 and missed out on promotion back to Division 1 in the Championship. Ed Smith has had to retire from the game and with Ed Joyce leaving, Shaun Udal takes on the reins. Middlesex have signed shrewdly and with Gus Fraser the main man at Lords now the Crusaders will be optimistic coming into the season.

A lot will depend on Owais Shah’s availability. If he’s with England for the entire season then Middlesex could struggle with runs, particularly if Strauss is kept on as England captain. Philip Hughes looks like he’ll have runs in him for the early part of the season but runs in the 2nd half of the season could be hard to come by and it could be what costs Middlesex promotion. They will be looking to defend their Twenty20 title successfully and claim all the riches that come with it.

Last Season: 3rd

Overseas Player(s): Philip Hughes (until after the IPL) & Murali Kartik (June onwards)

Key Players: Dawid Malan & Tim Murtagh

Best Odds: 5/1 Skybet

Predicted Finishing Position: 4th

Northants had a mundane season last term. They managed to make the knockouts of the Twenty20 before a no show in the quarter finals and weather denied them a quarter final spot in the Friends Provident. They pushed Worcestershire close in the battle for 2nd spot but eventually ended 4th. A clearout since then though makes it look hard to repeat that performance.

Lance Klusener, Jason Brown and Johann Louw have left
Wantage Rd
while only Ryan Cummins and Lee Daggett have come in. Johannes van der Wath has taken over the role of overseas player and he’ll need to lead the attack. Monty Panesar could be available more this season and that’s to Northants’ advantage. Runs looks a given and if Northants can bowl well they’ll be there or thereabouts but I think they’ll fall just short of the promotion places again.

Last Season: 4th

Overseas Player(s): Johannes van der Wath

Key Players: David Sales & Monty Panesar

Best Odds: 14/1 Stan James

Predicted Finishing Position: 5th

Surrey have made lots of changes behind the scenes. Chris Adams is the new head of cricket while Alec Stewart, Martin Bicknell and Ian Salisbury have all taken up coaching roles. Mark Butcher retains the captaincy as Surrey look to get back to the 1st division at the 1st time of asking. It was a poor season at The Oval last year with successes being a rare thing so under new management a much better season is expected.

Grant Elliott has signed as overseas player until the world twenty20 and Andre Nel has given up international cricket for a career at The Oval. Both are good signings and should do very well in the capital. Chris Jordan was injured a lot last season but if he plays most of the season and Ramprakash’s run scoring continues then Surrey will be pushing for promotion at the 1st attempt.

Last Season: 9th in Division 1

Overseas Player(s): Grant Elliott (until June)

Key Players: Mark Ramprakash & Andre Nel

Best Odds: 6/1 Boylesports

Predicted Finishing Position: 3rd

Re: Cricket: County Championship 2009 Division 2 It's not just going to be favourites tipped up all season but its the team at the head of the betting that I am backing in this division as well. 4pts each way KENT 9/4 (Totesport, 1/5 1.2.3.) Kents first 11 is easily the best in division 2 this year. I have been waiting since the end of last season to see how big anyone would dare lay them. I was delighted with the signing of Stuart Clark who would have done real damage I am sure, so it's a shame he will now longer be coming over for his stint. I await news of the replacement overseas signing with interest. Key, Denly & Van Jaarsveld are 3 top batsmen, while Khan, Joseph and McLaren are a fine trio of bowlers. On the downside, spin is weak, there is not the greatest strength in depth and the bottlers tag seems to have cropped up on more than one occasion. But who else is there? Surrey were dire last year, and even the addition of Nel isnt going to sort out their poor attack. Essex seem to promise much every year but have been in division 2 for a fair old while, while Middlesex may pose the biggest threat. Noone else can win the division - I do not rate Northants at all, and would not be surprised if they ended up bottom of the pile at an attractive price. Derbyshire have Rogers but no other batsmen that will get a 1000 runs, Glamorgan may improve but still are not good enough, Leics and Gloucs have far too many weak links. Even with the doubts highlighted above, 9/4 is very fair for Kent. I cant possibly envisage them outside the top 3, so while going each way at that short a price may not appeal to all, with interest rates as low as they are I may as well let Tote look after my savings and get 6 of my 8 point stake back if Kent only make 2nd or 3rd!

Re: Cricket: County Championship 2009 Division 2 I'm right with you on Kent mate. Think we're both on at bigger prices from the 1st show in November aren't we? Kent feature in all 3 of my outrights. 3pts Kent to win Division 2 9/4 Totesport Kent will be tasting Division 2 cricket for the 1st time in their history and I think it'll be their only time for a while too. They just have way too much quality for this division. In Key and Denly they have a very solid opening partnership and a middle order of van Jaarsveld, Kemp and Stevens is also full of runs. With the ball, Joseph and Amjad Khan are a great opening pair and McLaren and Saggers good back ups. Tredwell and van Jaarsveld take some decent wickets with their spin and Kent will be really tough to stop. Surrey, Essex and Middlesex all rate as dangers but for me this Kent side shouldn't be in this division with the quality they have and I think they'll win the title at the 1st time of asking. 1pt ew M.van Jaarsveld Top Division 2 Runscorer 12/1 Skybet (1/4 1,2,3,4) Martin van Jaarsveld scored 1150 runs in division 1 last season and he should go even better in a weaker division. The South African is full of quality in his bat, scoring 4 tons in his 16 matches last season. Batting at 3 he'll be in early enough to fill his boots against the shitheaps in the division and while this is a hot market with the likes of Ramprakash, Key, Ackerman and Rogers in the division I fully expect the Kent no3 to be right in the mix when the season ends. 1pt ew R.Joseph Top Division 2 Wicket taker 16/1 Paddy Power (1/4 1,2,3,4) Robbie Joseph tore into division 1 lineup's last season taking 55 wickets at 26.05. He was the 5th top wicket taker in the division last season and for me he's still improving. He's got everything you want in this division, he's got pace, accuracy and he takes the ball away from the right hander which is handy at places like Grace Rd, Lords and Sophia Gardens. Danish Kaneria is a worthy favourite but international callup's and injuries could hit so he's easily swerved at 9/2. Andre Nel and Tim Murtagh are also likely to be on the scene but I think Joseph has the potential to top the lot. Even if Kaneria runs away with this market at 4/1 the place I'm happy to be on.

Wednesday 15 April 2009Home Away bookmakers margin on the event. However, they do not take account of commissions that may be charged.">BPP
Essex v Derbyshire (10:00BST)1.502.75103.03 %Details »
Hide « Essex v Derbyshire
Leicestershire v Northamptonshire (10:00BST)2.161.83100.84 %Details »
Hide « Leicestershire v Northamptonshire
Surrey v Gloucestershire (10:00BST)1.522.75102.15 %Details »
One bet for me in Div 2 where the weather looks like it could be a bit better. 3pts Leicestershire to beat Northants (DNB) 11/10 Bet365 Leicestershire have a very youthful side out here but they have experience in the right places too. Matt Boyce and Tom New will open the innings and then comes the experience in the form of Ackerman, Dippenaar, Nixon, who captains the side and Allenby. Josh Cobb could well bat 7. Andrew Harris will lead the bowling attack and could be partnered by the talented Simon Cliff. Northants are missing David Sales and appear to be batting Nicky Boje as high as 4 which looks at least 2 places too high. Niall O'Brien is away with Ireland trying to qualify for the world cup so Stephen Peters will open with Ben Howgego. David Willey will make his debut while the pace attack will be led by Johannes van der Wath and Andrew Hall. Monty Panesar is allowed to play which should be a boost but I don't see this Grace Rd wicket turning much. This could be about the two batting lineups and Northants just looks weak to me without Sales. Leicester have 3 potential run machines in 3-5 and can stick the runs on the board. Neither bowling attack really inspire confidence but on home conditions I'll take the Foxes to get the job done DNB.

Re: Cricket: County Championship 2009 Division 2 General thoughts on the division: I like Kent as seen below, their squad looks on a different level to these and quite frankly if they were in the top division still I see them as most likely challengers to durham. My only fear is their habit of somehow choking so often and blowing titles, cups far too often. Still happy to go for them. Of the others Essex should score plenty of runs and its just about Kaneria when he arrives with the ball, he is the match winner who could propel them to promotion. My side Middlesex, have lost a couple of key batsmen, Joyce who a couple of years ago looked a star and Smith who wasn’t a factor last term. They will miss Shah at various times too and much depends if guys like Malan and Morgan can consistently make the next step to regular 1000+ seasons. Hughes early season form could be important too. On the bowling front we are a fair bit stronger these days than a few seasons ago so overall we have it in us to contend but for me I see us and Essex having a real battle with kent too strong. Surrey could be the other team to watch but despite the arrival of Nel, they may struggle for enough consistent firepower to bowl teams out and in this division it really is a must due to the win nature of it. As for the rest I don’t really like any of them, a lot of them seem in transition yet again or teams who perennially underperform. There may be a bit of a gap between the top 3/4 and the rest in this division. Kent 9/4 tote 10 pts Im still a bit shocked a squad as good as Kent’s is in this division. Last season they looked more like winners than a relegation team until right at the end where a bad last 3/4 games saw them just go down. However they have the squad to come right back. Their batting line up is strong. Key, Denly even with eng call ups, Van Jaarsveld could be far too good at this level and not to mention its a line up that normally bats some way down so has plenty of depth to it. The bowling line up also is strong. Possibly without a truly class spinner but Khan, Joseph and McClaren all have it in them to take shed load of wickets and lead Kent to the top flight again. T.Murtagh top div 2 wicket taker 16/1 pp 3 pts e.w 4 places I liked Mclaren for this too but he looks like being away at the start so instead going for one from my own county. Murtagh has been an excellent acquisition from surrey and has consistently taken wickets in the last couple of years. Two years ago he took 42 wickets when missing the odd game but last year he stepped up on that further to take 64 which was more than anyone else in the division albeit but for injury Kabir Ali would have surpassed him. Murtagh isnt perhaps as flashy as some in this market but unlike others he looks set, bar injury, to play a whole season and he could be in the mix for this market again. H.Marshall top div 2 run scorer 33/1 sj 2 pts e.w 5 places and top Gloucs batsman 4/1 sj 10 pts Marshall is a player who under achieved badly last year like so many of his team mates. A player of his quality should have scored a lot more runs than just 850 runs at a modest average of just 30. However despite that only two men from his county scored more and if Marshall returns to form of previous years who could still be a player for this market. The year before he averaged over 40 and the year before that he averaged over 60 and scored the little matter of over 1200 runs in just 11 games. Bracewell’s return could stir up a player like Marshall who on past form could have a much better season than last year.

Re: Cricket: County Championship 2009 Division 2 Leicestershire were going very well but hit the buffers when Northants had a century partnership for their 6th wicket. It's not impossible that Leicester win from there though. I will take an in running bet. Looks like my favourite - a reputation based price :nana. 3pts Gloucestershire to beat Surrey (DNB) 5/4 Ladbrokes I'm a bit surprised we can still get odds against on Gloucestershire here given that they've closed day 1 on 321/8. Gloucester are at full strength too unlike Surrey who are missing 4 front line batsmen in Scott Newman, Mark Butcher, Stewart Walters and the run machine Mark Ramprakash. Instead they have a young and inexperienced batting lineup which the likes of Jon Lewis and Steve Kirby will be eager to get stuck into. Gloucester's batting looks solid in the top 6 and with Franklin and Saxelby supporting the seam attack, Gloucestershire are in a decent enough position to go on and win this match.

Re: Cricket: County Championship 2009 Division 2 No results in either of those matches. Two washed out days put paid to the Gloucester bet which was annoying because when it resumed today they had Surrey following on. Level going into next week.

Tuesday 21 April 2009Home Away bookmakers margin on the event. However, they do not take account of commissions that may be charged.">BPP
Gloucestershire v Essex (11:00BST)2.251.72102.34 %Details »
Hide « Gloucestershire v Essex
Kent v Northamptonshire (11:00BST)1.532.75101.58 %Details »
Hide « Kent v Northamptonshire
Wednesday 22 April 2009Home Away bookmakers margin on the event. However, they do not take account of commissions that may be charged.">BPP
Derbyshire v Surrey (11:00BST)2.371.72100.00 %Details »
Hide « Derbyshire v Surrey
Middlesex v Glamorgan (11:00BST)1.503.00100.00 %Details »
Hide « Middlesex v Glamorgan
One for me for Tuesday. 3pts Gloucestershire to beat Essex (DNB) 5/4 Stan James Gloucestershire could well be playing Essex at the right time. The Gladiators have started the season pretty well. They dominated Surrey in a rain affected Championship match last week and then beat Sussex impressively in the FPT at the weekend. Essex struggled against Derbyshire in the Championship but recovered to thrash Northants on Sunday. Gloucestershire will go into this match with the same side that went to Surrey and nearly won last week. James Franklin has already shown signs that he could be a very clever overseas acquisition. Alex Gidman will be looking for his 1st win as skipper in the 4 day game. Essex will still be without Alastair Cook who is still nursing his fractured finger while Ravi Bopara and Graham Napier are at the IPL. Danish Kaneria is still out of the country and that means David Masters aside, their bowling attack looks very weak. Only rain stopped Gloucestershire last week but that doesn't appear to be an issue this week as an excellent forecast has been predicted and in glorious sunshine at fortress Bristol I think Gloucestershire can pick up their 1st win.

Re: Cricket: County Championship 2009 Division 2 I like the home team here as well: Gloucestershire BNB 5/4 10 pts The home team here had a wretched 2008 in county cricket but with Bracewell returning the early signs are good or at least more promising. Still a long way to go but a good one day win against Sussex and a good performance where they forced Surrey to follow on at the oval. Rain meant no result was possible but it was encouraging to see a few batsmen get some scores including Marshall who could have a good year and also the bowlers who destroyed Surrey's batting line up. Essex had a good one day win at home at the weekend but they are a team missing a few key men at the moment and that could just be a bit important here. As highlighted out already, their bowling line up especially looks on the weak side and Gloucester could just exploit that.

Tuesday 28 April 2009Home Away bookmakers margin on the event. However, they do not take account of commissions that may be charged.">BPP
Glamorgan v Derbyshire (11:00BST)2.501.62101.73 %Details »
Hide « Glamorgan v Derbyshire
Middlesex v Leicestershire (11:00BST)1.542.75101.30 %Details »
Hide « Middlesex v Leicestershire
Northamptonshire v Gloucestershire (11:00BST)1.732.25102.25 %Details »
Hide « Northamptonshire v Gloucestershire
Wednesday 29 April 2009Home Away bookmakers margin on the event. However, they do not take account of commissions that may be charged.">BPP
Essex v Kent (11:00BST)2.101.83102.16 %Details »
Gloucestershire let me down last week but I'm siding with them again here. 3pts Gloucestershire to beat Northants (DNB) 5/4 Bet365 Gloucestershire lost a low scoring match with Essex last week but the week before that they ran Surrey very close and was only denied by the weather. Northants have picked up draws with both Leicestershire and Kent. Team news is key in this one though. Gloucestershire welcome Craig Spearman and James Franklin back into their squad while Northants will be without Stephen Peters, David Sales and Johan van der Wath. Alex Wakely, Niall O'Brien and Steven Crook enter the squad but the replacements look poor compared to those they are replacing. Gloucestershire have the makings of a decent side. Their seam attack looks good and in forecasted overcast conditions that's an advantage even here and with runs in them although they never showed it last week, I'll take them to pick up a win against the injury ravaged Steelbacks.

Re: Cricket: County Championship 2009 Division 2 Bad week for me last week in both divisions. I looked at Glamorgan for a bit but just going for the one and its the same advertised selection: Gloucestershire to beat Northamptonshire (DNB) 5/4 bet3 10 pts I seem to be backing bracewell's side all the time atm. The two times I have backed them in the one day comp they have won but last week they were beaten in the county championship last week at essex in a low scoring game. Sure that was a disappointing performance but I believe they can bounce back. Their one day form will be a boost as will their first 4 day performance where they were all over Surrey until weather caught up with them. Looking at their batting line up I still dont think its that bad and personally I like it over Northants line up. Sure they scored runs in their only 4 day game so far against a Kent attack below par with a couple of key bolwers missing. However in the long run someone like Sales is a big miss, Peters too who scored a 100 in that game and really having guys like Boje and Hall in the top 6 potentially is a bit light for me. Also their seam attack is dented with no Wath and overall I think Gloucester @ 5/4 DNB is fair enough and they are the pick for me yet again this season.

Re: Cricket: County Championship 2009 Division 2 Gloucestershire look in a good position to put up 300+ so if rain doesn't get in the way they'll be pretty competitive in that one. I'm going with one more for Wednesday. 3pts Essex to beat Kent (DNB) 11/10 Betfred Essex thrashed Gloucestershire last week while Kent were being given the run around against Northants. In fact, it's fair to say that Kent's season hasn't begun yet. They've been decimated by injury and they've struggled because of it. Essex had a shaky start to the season but they've got a couple of wins under their belts and are starting to play some good cricket. Although Essex will be without Ravi Bopara for this one who is with Graham Napier in the IPL, they do welcome Danish Kaneria into their side for the 1st time this season. Alastair Cook also plays in this one. Matt Walker will play against his old side. Kent will be without Rob Key who is with the England Lions. Martin van Jaarsveld will captain the side. Wayne Parnell could make his debut and Robbie Joseph could feature subject to a fitness test but Amjad Khan misses out. Steffan Jones returns after being ineligible to play against Somerset at the weekend. Essex were well on top of West Indies last week before the rain kyboshed their chances of winning but that only emphasises the level of cricket they are playing at the minute. Kent have really struggled and without Key they lack a bit of balance to their batting. Chelmsford is a tough place for visiting sides and I think Essex have a good chance of winning this one.

Re: Cricket: County Championship 2009 Division 2 Gloucestershire beat Northants well enough and Essex have had Kent following on but Kent have gone better 2nd time round. A tense final day is in store in that one on Saturday.

Re: Cricket: County Championship 2009 Division 2 Annoyingly, despite following on, Kent beat Essex to restrict the profit for the week. Joseph took 8 wickets in the match though so the outrights were boosted by the result. +0.75 for the week and back to -2.25 for the season.

Wednesday 6 May 2009Home Away bookmakers margin on the event. However, they do not take account of commissions that may be charged.">BPP
Gloucestershire v Leicestershire (11:00BST)1.672.5099.88 %Details »
Hide « Gloucestershire v Leicestershire
Kent v Glamorgan (11:00BST)1.443.00102.56 %Details »
Hide « Kent v Glamorgan
Northamptonshire v Essex (11:00BST)2.371.72100.00 %Details »
Hide « Northamptonshire v Essex
Surrey v Middlesex (11:00BST)2.201.83100.00 %Details »

Re: Cricket: County Championship 2009 Division 2 Just the one for me so far this week. I was looking at Essex but last week's reversal and the fact we won't know if Monty is able to play for Northants until the last minute means I'll leave it for now. 3pts Surrey to beat Middlesex (DNB) 6/5 Skybet I'm taking a bit of a risk in this match but I'm prepared to do so. Surrey have made a very poor start to the Championship season while Middlesex have come away with two high scoring draws however Surrey have key personnel back and Middlesex have had all sorts of problems in the FP Trophy over the weekend. Surrey will be glad to welcome run machine Mark Ramprakash back into their side. That's been Surrey's failing so far this season and it's no surprise that in his 1st game back he hit a ton vs Durham. Surrey beat Yorkshire over the weekend and should have beaten Durham so their form looks to be improving. Grant Elliott offers a solid all round option while Scott Newman will open the batting. Andre Nel and Pedro Collins look set to take the new ball. Middlesex are still without 4 key players. They won't see much more of Andrew Strauss this season while Owais Shah is still on IPL duty, as are Murali Kartik and Tyron Henderson. Henderson didn't play much 4 day cricket last season anyway but it's an option which isn't there. Phil Hughes is likely to go back to open the innings. Middlesex's batting has died on it's arse in the last few days and the likes of Morgan and Malan will really have to stand up here in Strauss and Shah's absence. Surrey have plenty of runs in them with Ramprakash back and on home soil with a decent enough bowling lineup I think they'll win this London derby.

Re: Cricket: County Championship 2009 Division 2 Aye. I wonder what the gig is with Murtagh. Surely if he can't bat (and if he could why is Finn and Richardson coming in ahead of him :unsure) then Surrey have won :unsure.

Aye. I wonder what the gig is with Murtagh. Surely if he can't bat (and if he could why is Finn and Richardson coming in ahead of him :unsure) then Surrey have won :unsure.
Looks like Richardson was run out on the last ball of the day, meaning even if Murtagh couldnt bat, Middlesex will be able to get away with it as they dont have to send him in.

Looks like Richardson was run out on the last ball of the day' date=' meaning even if Murtagh couldnt bat, Middlesex will be able to get away with it as they dont have to send him in.[/quote'] If he can't bat though, aren't they all out :unsure. Wouldn't mind a stewards enquiry on this one :lol.

If he can't bat though' date=' aren't they all out :unsure. Wouldn't mind a stewards enquiry on this one :lol.[/quote'] Absolutely they are (well we know they are), problem is Surrey cant prove they are as they dont have a ball left to find out if Murtagh can come to the crease. Having said that Middlesex would probably have put him out there even with a broken leg if he had to just survive a ball. Amazing end to a match though. Great to see a team really go for a win. :clap

• 4 weeks later...

Saturday 6 June 2009HomeDrawAwayBPP
maximize.gifDerbyshire v Gloucestershire (11:00 BST) 2.3 1.03 2.62 178.73 %
maximize.gifEssex v Middlesex (11:00 BST) 2.02 1.31 3.05 158.63 %
maximize.gifGlamorgan v Surrey (11:00 BST) 3.55 1.21 1.78 166.99 %
maximize.gifLeicestershire v Kent (11:00 BST) 3.5 1.31 2.02 154.41 %
Nothing to begin with this week. None of these prices stand out enough to take the weather on.

Re: Cricket: County Championship 2009 Division 2 Essex to beat Middlesex (DNB) 8/11 sj 10 pts Weather could play a part here but unfortunately I go with Essex if there is a result. My side Middlesex have had a really bad couple of weeks and whilst they will be hoping the return to the longer format suits, there has to be major doubts atm. Sure having Strauss back is a real boost but equally there is no Hughes from their last county side not to mention no Morgan or Shah. Many of the batsmen have been out of nick lately and that is major concern. Also on the bowling side the injury to Murtagh is a blow. Essex have their call ups too and that has dented them too. However they have Cook for this game not to mention Walker, Chopra, Gallian and Pettini so they still should score runs which is far from certain for Middlesex. Kanieria is a top quality bowler for them as well and overall I think on form even a depleted Essex side could be too strong. Surrey to beat Glamorgan (DNB) 8/11 tote 10 pts Surrey started to find some form in the recent one day events and they might translate it to the 4 day format now. They started off the 4 day format poorly this season but the break may have done them some good. Now Ramps is back in top form and along with the likes of Afzaal, Newman, Brown and even the possible return of Mark Butcher, thats a strong batting line up. Also they now have a bowling attack to take wickets with the likes of Nel, the quick Meaker and new recruit Harris who has shown in the IPL that he is a top player. Schofield provides what could be the crucial spin option so they are fair in that department too. Glamorgan don’t have anything like as much depth with the bat and are far too reliant on someone like a Cosgrove imo. Surrey haven’t lost in Cardiff for 50 yrs and it wouldn’t surprise me to see them win this.