** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **

CL - Wednesday 25 February

Wednesday 25 February 2009Home Draw Away bookmakers margin on the event. However, they do not take account of commissions that may be charged.">BPP
Chelsea v Juventus (19:45GMT) 1.913.455.30100.21 %
Hide « Chelsea v Juventus
Real Madrid v Liverpool (19:45GMT) 2.203.303.80102.07 %
Hide « Real Madrid v Liverpool
Sporting v Bayern München (19:45GMT) 3.103.352.58100.87 %
Hide « Sporting v Bayern München
Villarreal v Panathinaikos (19:45GMT) 1.624.006.80101.43 %

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: CL - Wednesday 25 February Panathinaikos look very interesting here. For some reason, they play very well in Europe this season. Villarreal, on the other hand, appear to have lost the plot and to be tumbling downwards rapidly. I think a draw looks on the cards here.

Re: CL - Wednesday 25 February Real madrid showing a lot of class at home welcome a Liverpool team who have been riding there luck for a while now(last 6 games). Real look extremely good over the past 9 games, Ramos has them firing on all cylinders. Only doubt is whether Gerrard will play or not. He is the main man for liverpool but even if he is back I do not think it will be enough against a rampant Real team. Higuain is on fire and Raul has just become Real's all time top scorer and confidence is very high. Note: Real have 7 clean sheets in their last 10 games :dude 11 goals scored in their last 4 home games :dude 2 goals conceded in the last four home games :dude I am going to take Real Madrid at evens, especially after tonights showing against Man City. Prove me right Jaunde..lol:cheers

Re: CL - Wednesday 25 February Seems like Sporting - Bayern will have a different outcome as I would have estimated 1 month ago. Bayern in crisis, lost 3 out of 4 last matches in Bundesliga. Sporting seems to get in form just in time before CL clash, won last two one, and most important won over direct competition rival Benfica at home with 3:2, very nice one... Although I don't consider form and matches in domestic leagues too high when it comes to european clashes it seems like betting against Bayern would be a good one this time. Luca Toni who missed loss against Cologne at WE will probably play, but I doubt he will be 100% fit. Fishy Bayern atm, if Ribery won't have some magic moments Lay Bayern will be the play, probable outcome will be draw for me.

Re: CL - Wednesday 25 February

Bayern will have some great fun with Lisbon.
Bayern might win it, after all it is Munich we are talking about. But having fun in Lisbon ( unless you were sarcastic ) is far from what I expect. Bayern were made clear favourites for the game, and in my eyes value was with hosts. Yet that is slightly changing, Sporting are down to 2,87, which made the + 0,25 AH to me lower than I was prepared to take - currently 1,80. Now that the AH option is unacceptable to me, I would lower my stake and look for a brave option which in any case will favour the hosts. Reasoning is simple in my eyes - big club as they are, so far I haven't seen Bayern with a convincing game as far as defending is concerned. Even the game vs Foirentina at home was amasing with the number of childish mistakes they made. Extra effort from midfield should be added to support the defense or Bayern might look misarable - a great number of goals in Portugal are scored from long range, Sporting players are not shy either. Lisbon never made it far in CL, but they seem to be here forever. One of they seasons the missed here and oops - made it to the UEFA final. Point is how far are you prepared to risk backing Bayern, as they are by far favourites to qualify? In Lisbon though I see more points going against them, and despite the value on home team getting slimmer, I will lower my stakes and choose two or three from the following: Sporting +0 AH @ 2,09 Draw HT @ 2,10 Sporting HT @ 3,50 Over 2,5 @ 2,33 CS 1-1 @ 6,50 It is clear I am giving slight advantage to Lisbon, covering myself with the draw, question now is the distribution of the stakes, so that in any case (assuming Lisbon do not lose) I possibly make more than the current AH is offering ( 1,80) in case of a draw. I do not rule out a Munich win, but it will be hard for them to keep clean sheet IMO. BOL

Re: CL - Wednesday 25 February Real odds are crushing, nice :\ Sure they showed great form in their league lately, winning last 9 matches in Primera division but Joe public is on the wrong train IMO. The team have had an entire week to prepare for every Primera 1 match since December, there was no cup or CL match, so Ramos did have the time to get his team regenerated. Huntelaar found his place in Real team for sure after 6:1 win against Betis, Players start probably to think they have even a chance to win championship against Barca. Let them dream...I expect Real starting with Raul & Huntelaar, cos they did so well lately in PD. Besides Pool is probably without Gerrard though he flies with team to Madrid (expected back for 28 th), they will compensate him for one more match for sure. They are used to midweek/weekend rhythm matches, which is a great advantage. Championship is probably lost to ManU so I think Benitez should concentrate on CL besides he claimed he wouldn't give up title race. They have enough quality to hold the spaniards to at least to a draw. I don't even think if it would be a real surprise if Liverpool wins with a 0:1 or smth like that. It's the same old story for Real like their 2:0 defeat against Juve in last stage. All the world will be on Real, I'm not... though new manager Ramos will set his team better than Schuster. For me Pool +0,5 @ 1,90 188Bet and guess what: the Asians on Pool not to lose are falling ;)

Re: CL - Wednesday 25 February Huntellaar is not in the champions league squad mate, Diarra is in there instead of him..this could be seen as a blow to Real but Higuain is on fire also. I cannot see Rafa's men getting anything from the game seeing as thier topCL scorer is not fit and their 2nd top scorer is at white hart lane.. Will be very interesting game..corals have moved Real from evs out to 10/11.. I am going to wait and see what the line ups are before placing my stake.. Good luck all..;)

Huntellaar is not in the champions league squad mate, Diarra is in there instead of him..this could be seen as a blow to Real but Higuain is on fire also. I cannot see Rafa's men getting anything from the game seeing as thier topCL scorer is not fit and their 2nd top scorer is at white hart lane.. Will be very interesting game..corals have moved Real from evs out to 10/11.. I am going to wait and see what the line ups are before placing my stake.. Good luck all..;)
sorry thought Diarra was the only one who didn't get permission to start in european clashes for Real this season, but great news even better for my bet, I rate Huntelaar much higher than Raul or Higuain...

sorry thought Diarra was the only one who didn't get permission to start in european clashes for Real this season' date= but great news even better for my bet, I rate Huntelaar much higher than Raul or Higuain...
Don't see why Huntelaar is rated that high by you, the guy was lethal in Holland for both Heerenveen and Ajax, but I never saw him shine at international level with both teams vs level or stronger opposition. Raul IMO remains the main danger as of his experience in CL, a crucial thing at this level. The good run of Real is not such a big thing, if games in Primera are to be taken into consideration at all. First of all last 3 games for Real vs CL-contenders were vs Sevilla( 3-4 ), Barca( 0-2 ) and Villareal ( 1-0 ), the stats above ( 7 clean sheets out of 10 ) don't give the real picture, so second - take Casillas out and IMO Real would have been stuggling to keep clean sheet at all. Third, 11 goals in the last 4 games is also misleading as of the Betis game. You are right about the odds - the fact HW is already dropping could be helpful for a safer option. Two giant clubs with top Managers, who have massive experience in knock-out Euro games is what we are having, and Liverpool have done enough to convince everyone they could beat everyone. It could be as easy as 1-0 Real, but Rafa could do better than that. NO BET for me, but I am looking forward to see the line for Over 11 corners and the corner handycap - all in-play games I followed with Real have gone Over 10 as of their wide play. BOL

Re: CL - Wednesday 25 February REAL MADRID - LIVERPOOL Real Madrid scores a lot of goals without any problems. Dont have big problems with injured players. They are lost title in this season, so they can focuse on champions league. On the another side, Liverpool cant score goals. A half parten of their goals scored by Gerrard, wich is injured, but maybe will play at Bernabeu. Also Torres comes from injure and have problems to do his best. He isnt in same form as it was in last season. Liverpool have not few alternatives in attack. So i cant see that they can score there in Spain some goals. In last game against City, Liverpool didnt had so many goal chances. And that is not case just for that game. That repeats in last 5-6 games and almost in all games in this season. I expect that both teams will score goals in todays game, and my pick will be over 2.5 here and Real Madrid Win Over 2,5 / Stake 7 Home / Stake 7 Good Luck.....

Re: CL - Wednesday 25 February well, juventus is my heart team , I live next Turin in lawyer Agnelli's valley. This Juventus catches me a lot . I keep on thinking that the group of players Juve has it is not worth the successes of the last years. It has some stupendous players as Del Piero, Amauri, Camoranesi, Buffon, Trezeguet, Sissoko but also scarce players as Grygera, Molinaro, Le Grottaglie Tomorrow evening I think that juventus will lose the game against a new Chalsea trained by an intelligent coach I foresee a suffered match with few gols 1-0 2-0 under :ok

Re: CL - Wednesday 25 February Villareal v Panathinaikos well, i have seen both teams couple of times this year i noticed that villareal is playing very fast football at home, and is considered favourite against most of primera division teams panathinaikos did the job so far, espesially after managed to beat inter in milan,however, i am not impressed by this team, i watched them here in cyprus when they faced anorthosis and they were very poor i am 100% sure that panathinaikos will defend with 10 men, targeting the goalles draw my pick is : Under 2.5 goals, rock solid under this one probable results are : 1-0, 2-0, 0-0. good luck :dude

REAL MADRID - LIVERPOOL Real Madrid scores a lot of goals without any problems. Dont have big problems with injured players. They are lost title in this season, so they can focuse on champions league. On the another side, Liverpool cant score goals. A half parten of their goals scored by Gerrard, wich is injured, but maybe will play at Bernabeu. Also Torres comes from injure and have problems to do his best. He isnt in same form as it was in last season. Liverpool have not few alternatives in attack. So i cant see that they can score there in Spain some goals. In last game against City, Liverpool didnt had so many goal chances. And that is not case just for that game. That repeats in last 5-6 games and almost in all games in this season. I expect that both teams will score goals in todays game, and my pick will be over 2.5 here and Real Madrid Win Over 2,5 / Stake 7 Home / Stake 7 Good Luck.....
Sorry mate, but your post is somehow contravercial. In your eyes L'pool can't score - Torres is in worse form than last season, L'pool with less alternatives forward, you can't see them score in Spain, only few chances vs Man City, this being the case in 5-6 game and then regardless of this reasoning you tell us that you expect an Over, with both teams scoring. :unsure Doesn't make much sense to me, but I still hope you are right. On the other hand maybe you should add different reasons for this pick :)

sorry thought Diarra was the only one who didn't get permission to start in european clashes for Real this season' date= but great news even better for my bet, I rate Huntelaar much higher than Raul or Higuain...
Raul is a modern legend, a top quality forward who has served RM superbly and a CL goal machine.. He may be getting on in years but the two goals he scored at the weekend were sublime (albeit the calibre of the opposition has to be questioned). He could well be the match winner IMO. Rafa is a very negative coach but will know how to play this opposition and may frustrate them with a typically restrictive pool line up, asking Torres to produce something on his own (never scored against RM during his time in AM)..pushing Kuyt back into midfield to crowd this area and restrict any flowing football. Without Gerrard tho i think pool will struggle to create anything and if they concede in 1st half & have to come out and chase the game they could be in serious trouble. Overall i'm taking: Raul 1st goal scorer 6-1 CS 2:0 15-2 Madrid HT FT 9-4 GL All

Don't see why Huntelaar is rated that high by you' date=' the guy was lethal in Holland for both Heerenveen and Ajax, but I never saw him shine at international level with both teams vs level or stronger opposition. Raul IMO remains the main danger as of his experience in CL, a crucial thing at this level. [/quote'] I like Raul, but I think he hasn't enough power for going full 90 mins anymore, he will be a alltime-hero for RM and I hope he will score those 2 more goals in CL to get his 66 goal record. I rate Huntelaar as a young hungry powerfull striker more than everyone in RM ofense atm. He will probably build the future striker duo for a long time together with Higuain. Btw he scored already 3 goals in 2 matches for Real, could end as some Et'oo like stuff...

well, juventus is my heart team , I live next Turin in lawyer Agnelli's valley. This Juventus catches me a lot . I keep on thinking that the group of players Juve has it is not worth the successes of the last years. It has some stupendous players as Del Piero, Amauri, Camoranesi, Buffon, Trezeguet, Sissoko but also scarce players as Grygera, Molinaro, Le Grottaglie Tomorrow evening I think that juventus will lose the game against a new Chalsea trained by an intelligent coach I foresee a suffered match with few gols 1-0 2-0 under :ok
You have to applaud emirobet's signature and pick Chelsea looked like they had turned a corner against Villa at the weekend. The team looked happy and together. They also reverted back to the system that they played under 'the special one' - playing the holding midfielder - clearly the new manager identified their previous strength and ran with that. Chelsea are missing Cole at the moment - very underrated player. I think they play better as a side with a holding midfielder and Cole in the side. When they play Deco - they look less fluent. However, I still think that a few Chelsea players have had their heads turned - perhaps toward Inter and the 'special one'? Hence the form of of John Terry? This will be the job of the new manager - to get the confidence back and restore their appetite for playing for Chelsea FC I think Chelsea will seriously beat Juve by 2 or 3 if the new manager does this job correctly:hope

Re: CL - Wednesday 25 February Sportin Lisbon : Bayern München Best value bet in that day is and should be hometeam to score @1.3 (mybet). As Nicko said, Bayern defense struggling, especially right backs (Lell, but also Oddo) lack very good defense skills. On top of that both center backs, Demicheles and Lucio are not as good as last year. In this case it is especially Demicheles who performes bad, while Lucio showed good performance lately.. but he is pissed often because he is let alone AND he is pissed because Klinsmann put him on bench in Köln match to be fit against Lisbon.. Lucio's answer on that move:"I was fit.. ask the coach why I did not play..". And cherry on the cake is Rensing who cannot fill the big gap of the retired Oliver Kahn. Dont think they can fix defense issues very fast (they had long time in winterbreak and still they concede way too many goals..). BUT then I warn all to see Lisbon a step infront because conceding one goal doesnt mean to lose for Bayern often. They showed great moral after being back 1:0 against an oppenent and not rarely celebrated a comeback. I would go for: 1.1 pts Lisbon @2.95 1 pts Draw @3.25 0.9 pts Bayern HC TIE @3.65 For a possible win of 0.25 pts (whatever your stack is for 1 pts..) The chance of Bayern to win 0:2, 1:3 is like 1% ;) :drums

Re: CL - Wednesday 25 February The line is out now, Over 10 corners in Madrid is @ 2,00 and I will take it, with small insurance to break even at exactly 10 corners. I was expecting this one to be Over 11 corners, it must L'pool's stats that had it down at 10. BOL

The line is out now, Over 10 corners in Madrid is @ 2,00 and I will take it, with small insurance to break even at exactly 10 corners. I was expecting this one to be Over 11 corners, it must L'pool's stats that had it down at 10. BOL
5/4 available nicko. The odds against for Real -1 could be tempting. Going to check the stats.

@ Zico' date=' seems like you see a very tight outcome for Sporting Bayern match, wouldn't be better to bet on under 2,5 goals instead of 3 bets to win possible +0,25 points? Only a thought mate...[/quote'] I thought about under, but then Lisbon is a team with lots of guys shoting longe balls and that is definetely not the balls Rensing likes. Lisbon must score against this bad defense really.. and then again a 2:1 defeat for Bayern could be still acceptable AND they are definetely capable of scoring. I see everything possible, but not a clear win for Bayern München.. and thats why I think +0.25 pts (can be pretty much depending on stacks..) is a "safe" bet. ;) PS: 2:1 is my score prediction for this match. :ok

Re: CL - Wednesday 25 February Liverpool +0.5 ah lad 1.9 10 pts Liverpool have struggled of late in the league to win games but they are still a very difficult team to beat in the CL as well as in the league. Under Benetiz they have had numerous good results in europe especially away from home in tough looking fixtures like this one. In R.Madrid they play an inform team who have won 9 straight in the league under Ramos. However playing against a team as tough to beat as Liverpool is a tough ask for a team even like R.Madrid and victory might just be beyond R.Madrid in this one.

Sorry mate' date=' but your post is somehow contravercial. In your eyes L'pool can't score - Torres is in worse form than last season, L'pool with less alternatives forward, you can't see them score in Spain, only few chances vs Man City, this being the case in 5-6 game [b']and then regardless of this reasoning you tell us that you expect an Over, with both teams scoring. :unsure Doesn't make much sense to me, but I still hope you are right. On the other hand maybe you should add different reasons for this pick :)
Nicko ;

From this perspective, seems like the right ; inconsistent Real win my selection. But regardless of the Liverpool situation is not a bad team. In the first case file to see the goals Real bet to protect my 2nd I've made a selection ;). My English is not very good. I hope I could tell.:ok Ty .

Re: CL - Wednesday 25 February Real vs Liverpool Liverpool have to play an uptempo game and not allow Real to settle. I agree with Mr Ferguson - Real are too slow and when they play a fully fit Premier League side they will be found out. If Liverpool play at Real's pace they will lose - if they harry Real, they may have a chance or gain a creditable draw. Gerrard is a big miss and Torres seems 4/5 games off his best Perhaps this is one to bet in running but at this stage I would go for: Draw

Re: CL - Wednesday 25 February @ oceanxx I understand you are adding some safety to your main bet. An option especially if you can't watch a game without betting on it :) , which is exactly what I am like. But than the in-play offers better options and above all better odds. Lower the stake on the main bet and had a go on the live betting is what I would do..Just a thought, after all it is your pick and money. BOL Watched Stoichkov with his preview of the Real - Liverpool game. The guy absolutely hates Real, and he admitted it, giving them an advantage tomorrow. Yet he was right about one thing - Rafa B is having half a dozen European Champions playing for the Reds tomorrow, if all in the starting 11 'Pool might have more Spaniards there than Real :)

Real vs Liverpool Liverpool have to play an uptempo game and not allow Real to settle. I agree with Mr Ferguson - Real are too slow and when they play a fully fit Premier League side they will be found out. If Liverpool play at Real's pace they will lose - if they harry Real, they may have a chance or gain a creditable draw. Gerrard is a big miss and Torres seems 4/5 games off his best Perhaps this is one to bet in running but at this stage I would go for: Draw
Yeah in running maybe the play here, pool could strangle life out of RM, i'm already second guessing my initial betson RM which isn't a good sign.. How do u assess pool recent mediocre league form in tandem with their CL calibre under Rafa? How much has Ramos really improved RM? Those same defnesive weaknesses you feel are only a whisker away from re appearing, against Real Betis on sat Betis were v close to bringing game back to 3-2 within minutes they were 4-1 down & game was over. Overall i have to go with the attacking & creative players here, and IMO that is stacked in favour of RM and is why i lean towards them... But going into huge game like this on back of such a big win the game before also worries me & hope there is not an air of over confidence in d Bernabeu. Recent european performances from RM would suggest they have much to prove on this stage again and that should be an element to counteract the weekends big win & something Ramos will remind his players.. I stick with my original bets, not as confident as i was. RM HT/FT. Raul 1st goal. 2-0 RM. My other bet is Chelsea, this is based on limited knowledge of Juve and abit of a loose call - Basically of what i've seen of italian teams against english oppositon in europe tonight, i have not been impressed by the italians. A general & dangerous assumption i know. Chelsea under their new manager, at home, renewed team spirit i can see them coming roaring out of the blocks at the bridge at a tempo & physicality Juve would not be used to in Serie A. This is more of a gut call than anything, as basically i don't know enough about Hiddink's Chelsea & the Juve team but IMO this is just one of those old fashioned european wed nights were an english team at home comes out to a red hot atmosphere & has too much intensity for their opponents. Chelsea win.