6 Nations Rugby

Re: 6 Nations Rugby Based on the IRB ratings, there seems no value in betting on the outright wins this weekend. On the handicaps, only Italy provisionally make any appeal as can currently be backed @ 1.90 with +14 (Skybet). However, as Nigel indicates, Ireland tend to score heavily in Rome. Also, although it looks as if Griffen will play at scrum half for Italy this weekend, until team selection is known it is certainly not worth risking placing any bets.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: 6 Nations Rugby Date: Saturday February 14 Venue: Stade de France, Paris Time: 15:00 (15:00 GMT) Referee: George Clancy (Ireland) Touch judges: Wayne Barnes (England), Tim Hayes (Wales) TMO: Giulio De Santis (Italy) France: 15 Clement Poitrenaud, 14 Maxime Medard, 13 Florian Fritz, 12 Yannick Jauzion, 11 Cedric Heymans, 10 Lionel Beauxis, 9 Sebastien Tillous-Borde, 8 Imanol Harinordoquy, 7 Fulgence Ouedraogo, 6 Thierry Dusautoir, 5 Romain Millo-Chluski, 4 Lionel Nallet, 3 Nicolas Mas, 2 Dimitri Szarzewski, 1 Fabien Barcella Replacements: 16 Benjamin Kayser, 17 Renaud Boyoud, 18 Sebastien Chabal, 19 Louis Picamoles, 20 Morgan Parra, 21 Benoit Baby, 22 Julien Malzieu

Re: 6 Nations Rugby Date: Saturday 14 February, 2009 Kick-off: 17:00 GMT Venue: Millennium Stadium, Cardiff Referee: Jonathan Kaplan (South Africa) Touch judges: Alan Lewis (Ireland), Peter Fitzgibbon (Ireland) TMO: Simon McDowell (Ireland) England: 15 Delon Armitage (London Irish), 14 Paul Sackey (London Wasps), 13 Mike Tindall (Gloucester Rugby), 12 Riki Flutey (London Wasps), 11 Mark Cueto (Sale Sharks), 10 Andy Goode (Brive), 9 Harry Ellis (Leicester Tigers), 8 Nick Easter (Harlequins), 7 Joe Worsley (London Wasps), 6 James Haskell (London Wasps), 5 Nick Kennedy (London Irish), 4 Steve Borthwick (Saracens, captain), 3 Phil Vickery (London Wasps), 2 Lee Mears (Bath Rugby), 1 Andrew Sheridan (Sale Sharks). Replacements: 16 Dylan Hartley (Northampton Saints), 17 Julian White (Leicester Tigers), 18 Tom Croft (Leicester Tigers), 19 Luke Narraway (Gloucester Rugby), 20 Paul Hodgson (London Irish), 21 Toby Flood (Leicester Tigers), 22 Mathew Tait (Sale Sharks).

Re: 6 Nations Rugby Really looking forward to seeing France play this weekend. They showed glimpses of brilliance on Saturday and Beauxis had his best game thus far I feel. I really hope they try and put Scotland to the sword (nothing against the jocks). I just love seeing France playing fast flowing open rugby.

Re: 6 Nations Rugby agree we see a great rugby vs Ireland but we make too many foul for hoping win at Crock Park.problem comes from our 1st line where we see 2 change and in 2nd ligne with Chabal on bench.Note that back line composition are 100% of Toulouse & even if we loose vs Ireland by playing an open dangerous rugby seems that Coach Lievremont will apprcoh this game in same way.Think France -15 with cover margin France by 10-15 is the best bet for this match with over point.Toulouse player got a revenche to play ;)

Re: 6 Nations Rugby I agree France have rebuilt their team well and they are looking like the French of old, I am almost thinking of moving across the channel and taking up residence - ALLEZ Les Bleus!!! ;) But seriously Marseille mentions the penalty count against the French in Dublin, I am currently looking into the conspiracy theory that Nigel Owens is actually Irish. The penalty count was Ireland 2, France 10, now come on how many times does that happen in any game of Rugby! I think France will undoubtably hammer the luckless Jocks (sorry Great Grandad!), the Scots just do not have that cutting edge and this is underlined by their inability to score tries!

Re: 6 Nations Rugby

Date: Saturday 14 February, 2009 Kick-off: 17:00 GMT Venue: Millennium Stadium, Cardiff Referee: Jonathan Kaplan (South Africa) Touch judges: Alan Lewis (Ireland), Peter Fitzgibbon (Ireland) TMO: Simon McDowell (Ireland) England: 15 Delon Armitage (London Irish), 14 Paul Sackey (London Wasps), 13 Mike Tindall (Gloucester Rugby), 12 Riki Flutey (London Wasps), 11 Mark Cueto (Sale Sharks), 10 Andy Goode (Brive), 9 Harry Ellis (Leicester Tigers), 8 Nick Easter (Harlequins), 7 Joe Worsley (London Wasps), 6 James Haskell (London Wasps), 5 Nick Kennedy (London Irish), 4 Steve Borthwick (Saracens, captain), 3 Phil Vickery (London Wasps), 2 Lee Mears (Bath Rugby), 1 Andrew Sheridan (Sale Sharks). Replacements: 16 Dylan Hartley (Northampton Saints), 17 Julian White (Leicester Tigers), 18 Tom Croft (Leicester Tigers), 19 Luke Narraway (Gloucester Rugby), 20 Paul Hodgson (London Irish), 21 Toby Flood (Leicester Tigers), 22 Mathew Tait (Sale Sharks).
Anyone else think this is a damage limitation pick? Worsley can tackle all day but a number 7 he isn't. So, anyone think of any reason why the bookies are only going -9 on Wales?

Anyone else think this is a damage limitation pick? Worsley can tackle all day but a number 7 he isn't. So, anyone think of any reason why the bookies are only going -9 on Wales?
Barton, the only answer to your question I can think of at the moment is that England potentially have the ability to beat Wales. So +9 for England is potentially a huge start especially for a team that if they were to click and get ahead could even win this game. :lol I liken England to a race horse that is falling down the handicap and you hope that it discovers some of its old love for the game! :hope Regarding Worsley it certainly is damage limitation, he isn't really an open side and he is fine running with the ball but his distribution can let him down at times. I think Goode might have a better game for England this time around, he didn't get any kicking practice at Twickenham last week due to the tent covering the pitch so I am willing to give him another chance.

Barton' date=' the only answer to your question I can think of at the moment is that England [u']potentially have the ability to beat Wales. So +9 for England is potentially a huge start especially for a team that if they were to click and get ahead could even win this game. :lol I liken England to a race horse that is falling down the handicap and you hope that it discovers some of its old love for the game! :hope Regarding Worsley it certainly is damage limitation, he isn't really an open side and he is fine running with the ball but his distribution can let him down at times. I think Goode might have a better game for England this time around, he didn't get any kicking practice at Twickenham last week due to the tent covering the pitch so I am willing to give him another chance.
If it is to be likened to a racehorse dropping down the handicp it should be entered in a selling plate sooner rather than later, although I confidently expect few bids! I can't see Goode kicking as badly but equally he isn't going to run a backline either. So, the England plan has to be kick to touch and challenge the one weakness in the Welsh game, the lineout, as the scrum is no longer an option. However, with Borthwick still in the side that still means there is a problem getting over the gainline as he has the presence of a powder puff. In addition, the team looks as if it would also like to play a rolling maul all day...sadly not an option in the world of ELVs. To win England will have to kick the penalties and hope that Wales fail to play AND England can defend for 80 minutes. It just isn't gonna happen, is it?

Re: 6 Nations Rugby No I think the handicap will only increase. Henson's exclusion won't matter one bit but Williams will be a big loss. I think it'll be a pretty tight game the first half Saturday and England will try and starve the Welsh backs of quick ball, well they have to really to stand any chance. I think Wales are far from the finished article yet. There was an immense improvement last season but were hammered the first half against England, were terrible in the first half against Italy and were very lucky that Shane Williams got awarded a try against Scotland when his foot was definitely in touch.(last season)

Re: 6 Nations Rugby Thanks, Arkantos. For the 13-43 Ireland v England 2007. SteveO, agree only Shane Williams will be a loss. But I think the way the Welsh play, the team that picks itself but with good pressure in several positions, are the finished article. OK, well on the way in terms of coaching, structure, fitness, skills and understanding. They are everything England are not. The relatively poor last 20 mins v Scotland last Sunday will have given them a coaching rocket up the arse. I see a humiliting scoreline, 25+. That big.

Re: 6 Nations Rugby I'd love to see a big score Pie chucker, it was on the cards against the Scots but the mass sustitutions put paid to that. England really did look very average against a bad Italy side but I just have a feeling that England are going to be up for this and it "could" be very close. Hope I'm wrong though.

Re: 6 Nations Rugby Wales: 15 Lee Byrne, 14 Leigh Halfpenny, 13 Tom Shanklin, 12 Jamie Roberts, 11 Shane Williams, 10 Stephen Jones, 9 Michael Phillips, 8 Andy Powell, 7 Martyn Williams, 6 Ryan Jones (captain), 5 Alun-Wyn Jones, 4 Ian Gough, 3 Adam Jones, 2 Matthew Rees, 1 Gethin Jenkins. Replacements: 16 Huw Bennett, 17 John Yapp, 18 Luke Charteris, 19 Dafydd Jones, 20 Dwayne Peel, 21 James Hook, 22 Andrew Bishop.

Re: 6 Nations Rugby Date: Sunday, February 15 Venue: Stadio Flaminio Kick-off: 15.30 (14.30 GMT) Referee: Chris White (England) Touch judges: Nigel Owens (Wales), Romain Poite (France) Television match official: Graham Hughes (England) Italy: 15 Andrea Masi (Biarritz Olympique), 14 Kaine Robertson (MPS Viadana), 13 Gonzalo Canale (Clermont-Auvergne), 12 Mirco Bergamasco (Stade Francais), 11 Matteo Pratichetti (Cammi Calvisano), 10 Luke Mclean (Cammi Calvisano), 9 Paul Griffen (Cammi Calvisano) ,8 Sergio Parisse (Stade Francais)©, 7 Mauro Bergamasco (Stade Francais), 6 Alessandro Zanni (Cammi Calvisano), 5 Tommaso Reato (Femi CZ Rovigo), 4 Santiago Dellape' (Toulon RC), 3 Martin Castrogiovanni (Leicester Tigers), 2 Fabio Ongaro (Saracens), 1 Salvatore Perugini (Stade Toulousain), Replacements: 16 Carlo Festuccia (Racing Metro Paris), 17 Carlos Nieto (Gloucester RFC), 18 Carlo Antonio Del Fava (Ulster), 19 Josh Sole (MPS Viadana), 20 Giulio Toniolatti (AlmavivA UR Capitolina), 21 Gonzalo Garcia (Cammi Calvisano), 22 Andrea Bacchetti (Femi CZ Rovigo).

Re: 6 Nations Rugby 2nd round of this 6 Nation this week .France receive Scotland at Stade de France . Some change appear in french team for this match specially in first line .Barcella and Mas will start at number 1 & 3.Chabal will start on bench for Millo Chulski and Fritz suspended Baby take his place. France realize a great 1st match and offer a great Rugby with good counter play.Conceded too many foul at Crock Park (10 totally) and in opposite Ireland conceded their 1st penality at 75th min.Referee of this match could have an incidence here but these foul coast the win.Now France must win for hoping win this 6 nation. With a 1st match loose at home vs Wales, Scotland is also in must win situation but concidering what they show in first match France is logicly favorite here and handicap of +/-11.5 open before start of tournement fly to +/-15 actually. About Scotland got not official line up yet but Evans brother will start this game and all toulousan player remeber of them after loosing at home vs Glasgow.Something like a revenche match saturday so and with a 5/5 back line player from Toulouse i'm sure we will assist again at an opening match .On their 1st match Scotland conceded 4 try vs Wales and vs this "XV de France" we will clearly suffer defencivly again several tips for this match : - France -15 handicap point @ 1.90 Stanjames 7/10 - France by 11-15 point @ 7 Ladbrokes 2/10 other intresting pick for this match could be over and specially France total tries.France could easly score 4 try or more in this match in front of their 80 000 fans.

Re: 6 Nations Rugby THE big match of this second round .England will play Wales at Millenium stadium of Cardiff. After a training match win vs Italy ,England show nothing special and i'm sure they will make a strong match Saturday.England stay a big nation of Rugby and after this 1st round all Rugby speak about great performance of Wales at Murrayfield and this is why i think England for me is underestimate here.Playing vs England and specially wining vs them is always difficult and genrally win is by few point .England got all the time to prepare this match and i'm sure they were more focus on this match than the 1st one because a win at Cardiff Saturday could offer them the 6 nation trophy.Got chance to play their last 2 game at home and play at Crock Park 2 week after Saturday match. Wales is of course favorite here but never underestimate England Rugby not sure will creat e the suprise by winning at Millenium stadium but marge of 10 point represent a value for me. arrow.gif Pick : England +11 bet365 arrow.gif Odds : 2.00 arrow.gif Stake : 6 / 10

Re: 6 Nations Rugby Like Marseille I am beginning to see a bit of value in England at +11, I am also looking towards a low scoring game. As we all seem to be in agreement that England are looking fairly defensive and they will rely on Andy Goode kicking some points. However England will have to overcome their own generosity on the penalty count! Wales winning margin under 12.5 points 2.84 Betfair Interesting market- Andy Goode total points +8.5 1.52 Betfair, only three penalties & even at this price its a fairly good bet but I'll wait and see if they improve. Patterson claimed two penalties for the Scots last week hopefully the English can apply a bit more pressure than the Scots.

Re: 6 Nations Rugby Even with a recognised srum half, I still don't really fancy Italy to stay within the handicap. I think Ireland could rack up a big score here (weather permitting) as points could decide the eventual tournament winner this year (my opinion is Wales, Ireland and France will all finish with 4 wins each). Therefore, no bets for me this weekend. Good luck to everyone else with their picks. As an aside, I've gone over my records for last year's Six Nations match between England v Wales. Going into the game, the odds on England ranged between 1.20 - 1.25. Hope this is not a bad omen for Wales . . .

Re: 6 Nations Rugby Shane Williams out for Wales +11 become once more intresting.Notice that Ladbrokes open +2.5 & +3.5 try France odd and could be the main pick of this match,specially over 2.5 @ 1.50 not big odd but still value i don't know how french can't score 3 try at home vs Scotland who conceded 4 at home last week.