% of Yearlings that go on to win

gbettle

Howdy all, Hope this message finds everyone well. Listening to Timeform Radio yesterday, I overheard a quote from a Timeform rep ( Jim McGrath?) that went along the lines that only 7% of all Yearlings that go on to race ever win a race: 93% never go on to win a single race. Is that true? Where would I find a source to back that up? Cheers, G.

Re: % of Yearlings that go on to win All the more reason to avoid one for the PL racehorse! What happens to all of those that don't make the grade? Are they sold on to farms and little riding yards where you take your kids for a ride, or do they just shoot them or something?

Re: % of Yearlings that go on to win Runadrum and I have bred thoroughbreds over about 12yrs so just worked out our stats. It reminds me why we have got out of the game! 18 foals, 9 made the racecourse, 9 did not. Of the 9 that ran, 0 won. Of the 9 that ran, 5 were sold as foals/yearlings so were raced by someone else, the other 4 did not sell and we kept them and raced them ourselves. Of those 4, 1 went out on loan as a riding horse for several years, but is now retired and back with us; 1 was given away as a riding horse; 1 was sold and is now eventing; and 1 is now a broodmare with us - with a thoroughbred-cross foal this year. The best foal we bred we sold as a foal (but for no profit for us), it was resold as a yearling for double the amount and then as a breeze-up 2yr old making £50k, but still never saw the racecourse. If you want a racehorse, probably best to buy one out of a selling or claiming race. :ok