Ascot - 1/11/08

1.05 Modicum 10/1 spo 7.5 pts e.w Leads the weights here but a bold bid very possible. He was an ok sort of hurdler who ended up 130 rated but he appears better as a chaser. Even on debut he chased home hobbs hill and that straight away was a very good run, behind cebrus libani was a fair run before a bit disappointing on soft ground after that. however when switched to a sound surface he was too good fro desert quest before a really good performance at aintr. when although he was well beaten by tidal bay and takeroc, his third place finish was very creditible indeed and is why he is on a mark of 148. Now that at first glance seems a bit steep to me but when you look through the form with hobbs hill, tidal bay etc it becomes more understandable and given how the nature of the race could suit his strong cruising speed, I think he can go quite well. 1.35 County Zen 12/1 wh 7.5 pts e.w Sentry Duty 22/1 var bog 7.5 pts e.w Going for two here. County Zen was a classy hurdler at the start of the last season, he beat blue bajan of levels at this course and gets an amazing pull with that one today, he also chased home imsingingtheblues on better ground so he can go well on good ground, he won on testing ground at san. with three horses pulling clear inclu. hells bay who was awesome last week. His third in a race as competitive as the tote gold cup aslo reads very well, blue bajan behind again. The minus is the poor way he finished last season but his trainer believes that is down to a breathing problem which he has been operated on and if thats the case then he has to be really feared here given how 130 looks a lenient mark for me. I have also put in sentry duty as there is a feeling around that the time to catch him is now when fresh. He won fto over hurdles and was so classy. He thrashed celestial halo who went onto win the TH and it really was a top performance and one that makes a mark of 134 seem very fair, even donaldson behind in third is a smart yardstick. True things didnt happen afterwards in the supreme and over in ire. but fresh today on good ground I think he is worth ago at a price. 2.05 Abragante 6/1 var bog 7.5 pts e.w Nice race. Air Force One and Roll Along bring classy novice form from last season to the race and both are feared. Roll Along in particular is a horse i am keeping an eye on for extreme trips in the future, I think the way he stayed on in the RSA suggested to me in the future he could well be a National horse and that race has such a good record for producing future National winners. He also can go well fresh but I just feel that he could be vulnerable to another horse who can go well fresh in abraganate and also that roll allong may have other priorities later on in the season. Abragante is a quirky horse but murphy gets on well with him and fto could be the time to catch him and the trainer finally now has had a winner. For example last season he was most impressive fto when winning a listed race at winc. He is 9 pounds higher today than that day and this is a better race, however given that he can go well fresh, also he is not excessively bad treated (he was 14 pounds higher for that winc win at one point and that was beyond him), also if he is a similar standard to his hurdle form he could still have the odd pound in hand and given how there looks to be a strong pace for him today, it could set up nicely for him late on although I will be watching how Roll Allong gets on too. 2.40 Mad Max 6/5 var bog 15 pts Massive horse this one, absolute beast and in time he shapes like he could well be a chaser. however for now he makes his hurdle bow having showed some ability in bumpers, winning both his starts by staying on strongly and the second of them he beat some fair types in a graded win which jsut shows the level of ability. Starts of at 2m today and possibly there is a slight question in my mind as to if he will need further in time and also whether as he is so big, will he be agile enough for hurdles or more just a chaser but he has obvious class for this particular race, leo lucky star sets a solid standard but carrying penalties make him possibly vulnerable. Be interesting to see how Mad Max gets on. 3.15 Ringaroses 13/5 spo 15 pts Niceish race this. I actually think that russian around is semi feared given that he can clearly go well fresh having beat noland on his hurdle bow and was with acambo at the last on his chase bow before both fell at the last independently. however Ringaroses could just be a serious horse for his tariner this season over fences. Won nicely in a couple of bumpers before a ncie start too to his hurdle career, won both of his first two starts and then after a big break was second when staying on strongly behind backboard. After that he was fancied for the coral cup but another setback curtailed him from that and clearly he has been a horse who has suffered in the past. however that does mean he is lightly raced and coudl still develop into a nice chaser, he comes from a decent family and it will be interesting to see how he goes on his chase bow. 3.50 Riverside Theatre 5/4 var bog 15 pts Has a penalty against some unknowns from soem powerful yards and the odd talking horse. Kangaroo Court would be one such example that I have heard the odd snippet about. However this one sets a strong standard of form and is much respected from such a powerful yard. On debut on good ground he won at kem. in race that has produced the odd nice type and then lto he was third in what always is a competive race and whilst the front pair were a fair bit clear, there isnt much shame in that given what both of those have done at the start of their hurdle career, he was a clear third on his own.

Re: Ascot - 1/11/08

1.05 Modicum 10/1 spo 7.5 pts e.w Leads the weights here but a bold bid very possible. He was an ok sort of hurdler who ended up 130 rated but he appears better as a chaser. Even on debut he chased home hobbs hill and that straight away was a very good run, behind cebrus libani was a fair run before a bit disappointing on soft ground after that. however when switched to a sound surface he was too good fro desert quest before a really good performance at aintr. when although he was well beaten by tidal bay and takeroc, his third place finish was very creditible indeed and is why he is on a mark of 148. Now that at first glance seems a bit steep to me but when you look through the form with hobbs hill, tidal bay etc it becomes more understandable and given how the nature of the race could suit his strong cruising speed, I think he can go quite well.
I'm with you on this horse Woody, the race you mention the Racing Post rating given was 137, only 5 other horses in this race managed to achieve a similar mark or better all last season and that was after a run or two! The jockey booking of a female would normally put me off but she seems to get on well with the horse. E/W Steal :hope @9/1