Strategy For Rebuy MTTs

Samba_SamPa

How do you approach Rebuy tourneys?

• Do you rebuy immediately to start with a double stack?
  • Do you only rebuy when stacked or decimated?
  • Should you loosen your normal starting ranges?
  • Should you chase draws getting slightly -EV odds to do so?
  • Should you loosen calling ranges?
  • How many rebuys before it is -EV to continue to do so?
  • How many blinds big should your stack be to justify/not justify an add-on?

If I think of any more I will post em up :ok

Re: Strategy For Rebuy MTTs I think the overriding factor has to be your bankroll. You see a fair number of people who play rebuy tourneys as freezeouts, ie dont rebuy at all. Then there is the other extreme, the maniacs who rebuy again and again having blown their stack playing ATC. For me, if it's a $5-10 rebuy, I'll rebuy a couple of times and an add-on. After that I think it tends to depend on the stack sizes and number of runners left etc. If its a $20 rebuy (as the LEOCOP one tonight is ;)), I would probably try not to rebuy (coz I'm a tight git :tongue2) but would be happy to add-on.As we all know it only takes a couple of good hands to come from a short stack, right back into a tourney....sure we have all done it!!

Re: Strategy For Rebuy MTTs I think the early stages of a rebuy are like a cash game where the hands you play have huge huge implied odds due to the number of people who enter pots. You are able to play more hands as you have the rebuys to fall back on so you should be playing all pairs suited connectors and maybe hands like J9s. The maniacs will be willing to go broke on top pair so you have to punish these guys and gain all their chips.

Re: Strategy For Rebuy MTTs I know a lot of people hate rebuys, but I quite like them. I don't play like a maniac in the rebuy period, and wouldn't deliberately take any -EV decisions (I don't really understand why people do that :unsure), but I'll try to take advantage of other players who do. So I won't fold to huge overbets if I think I'm ahead of their range. I rebuy whenever I can, as I think a lot of my equity in the rebuy period comes from the times that some nutter goes all in and I can punish him, and I want to be able to punish him for as many chips as possible. If there's a discount for the add-on, I'll always take it. If I had a really huge stack then it might not be worth it, but if it's not then I think it's such a small difference that it's not really worth worrying about.

Re: Strategy For Rebuy MTTs

• Do you rebuy immediately to start with a double stack? Yes, surely this is a +EV move
  • Do you only rebuy when stacked or decimated? Yes
  • Should you loosen your normal starting ranges? I prefer to tighen up if the table is loose and if you catch a monster you will double through. It all depends on the table and situation I think I find myself limping more to try and see a flop
  • Should you chase draws getting slightly -EV odds to do so? Not sure I still like to play poker
  • Should you loosen calling ranges? Maybe with position
  • How many rebuys before it is -EV to continue to do so? If the rebuy period is 60 mins it is difficult to fit that many in but you need to look at your %ROI in MTT and gauge against that
  • How many blinds big should your stack be to justify/not justify an add-on? I always add on, why wouldn't you, lots of add ons these days have more value as well

I love rebuys and tend to lean towards them more and more if I'm in a MTT mood. Players will enter with the intention of turning into a maniac when there is really no need to do so, the loose play is definately exploitable. There are lots of rebuys around now (especially on ipoker) where you get 1500 chips and you can sit out the first hour without rebuying and still have 15 BB's left and then top up for 2000 chips giving you 40 BB's :ok

Re: Strategy For Rebuy MTTs yeah i echo the above comments really. i tend to double buy in at the start and play fairly tight hoping to pick off the aggressive players. if however i get a big stack vs the rest of the table i do try to be as aggressive as possible, people will start throwing it all in with more marginal holdings nearer the end of the rebuy if they are short and also its nice to be the big stack after the rebuy:) that said i'm quite happy to get to the end of the rebuy on my starting stack if i haven't rebought. always add on as this is usually at least 10bbs, so always leaves you with a workable stack even if some stacks are huge. i almost always rebuy if needed apart from maybe on a $50+game near the end of the rebuy.its another $100 with the addon and if the prize pool is big usually it means there will be some monster stacks ,so i tend to give up then.

Cheers guys :ok Playing the LEOCOP tonight, gonna double up straight away then just play my normal game, and :hope crush the maniacs
I doubled up first hand from BB with K5 on a K52 flop, I bet out and my opponent asked if it was a rebuy, someone said yes, and he went all in with K3:ok

How do you mean?
Sorry been out. (post elsewere I did when out) I dont understand it fully but there are people with high success rates in rebuys that arent afraid to spend rather a lot of cash to ensure there are enough chips at their table to guarantee themselves an above avarge stack assuming that they dont lose every hand they are in. Some times of course they get lucky from hand one and dont need to rebuy at all. Sometims they rebuy so often they need a top 3 place just to cover their buyins. Think the idea is along the lines of you can gamble with just about any thing or you can sit there and gamble that the poker gods give you enough good cards. At least with the former you have given youself some sort of chance. See people sitting out until 5 mins before rebuy ends then rebuying and adding on. Used as I am to being a shortstck I dont think I'd pay $30 to be one after the break.

Think the idea is along the lines of you can gamble with just about any thing or you can sit there and gamble that the poker gods give you enough good cards. At least with the former you have given youself some sort of chance.
It's six and two threes really. You could argue that by playing multiple rebuy tournaments as freezeouts, you've got a good chance of picking up some hands & going deep in one eventually. You could wax fifteen rebuys in one tourney and still not cash, or you could sail into the money. I don't think it's possible to work out which method is mathmatically more likely to make you money over the long haul - I guess it's what your bankroll will allow, and your heart will take! There's also value of the prize pool to take into account. If you play as a freezeout whilst everyone is rebuying like crazy, you get serious bang for your buck.

• 4 years later...

Re: Strategy For Rebuy MTTs Hi Guys, My apologies for reactivating a very old thread but Rebuys are not something I know a lot about and I was wondering what the current thinking is. In particular I would be interested in how you all regard the extended signup periods rebuy tournaments now have. Does anyone have a strategy for this? It occurs to me that if you buy in just before the end of the rebuy period and then take the addon instead of a second rebuy (or as well as?) then that may be +EV? Or do you miss out on LAG play earlier on? Or is it better to join around level 4 and just treat it as a normal MTT with the added value of a lot of rebuys already in and players already out? (I'm talking $3 - $5 here).

Re: Strategy For Rebuy MTTs The only advantage I can see in buying in at the last minute, is that it saves time. Personally, I would rather be in at the beginning when all the donkey chips are available. As always, it does depend on the structure.