** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Bowles' Jumps thread 2008/9

Ok, decided to sit through the last weekend before putting up my actual thread for the year. Last season i settled on just picking a select stable of horses to follow mainly based on what i had seen on the racecourse rather than believe the hype etc we hear from the press. This was a success & ended with very good profit at Cheltenham where i had a decent list of winners & some nice prices. This year i intend to do the same. I will be putting up the 1st couple of horses over the next few days & the reasons why.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Bowles' Jumps thread 2008/9 For starters, here are a list of the horses that i am looking forward to seeing running this season. Hurdlers Captain Cee Bee (E Harty) Binocular (N Henderson) Snap Tie (P Hobbs) Kalahari King (F Murphy) Punjabi (N Henderson) Osana (D Pipe) Katchit (A King) Crack Away Jack (E C Lavelle) Grand Schlem (F Doumen) Blazing Bailey (A King) Lough Derg (D Pipe) Whiteoak (D McCain Jnr) Cousin Vinny (W Mullins) Zaarito (C Murphy) Apt Approach (W Mullins) Lilywhitedancer (W Mullins) Peacock (N Twiston Davies) Whispered Promises (D Pipe) Celestial Halo (P NIcholls) Franchoek (A King) Hills of Aran (W Goldsworthy) Lodge Lane (V Dartnall) Psycho (A Martin) Mon Michel (G Moore) Chasers next....... Write ups to follow

Re: Bowles' Jumps thread 2008/9

Not many Nicholls horses in there ;) But I'm sure your chasers list will have some :)
He will have a few no doubt, been very impressed with his string to date. I am not sure which hurdlers of his will make the grade & some wont have seen a racecourse yet. Will be interested to see what he has. I think Henderson will have a good season & i have included some of best of the irish as we sometimes forget their threat when it comes to the festivals.

Re: Bowles' Jumps thread 2008/9 These are the ones i will be keeping an eye on during the season to see who will make my stable Chasers Tidal Bay (J Howard Johnson) Kruguyrova (C Egerton) Noland (P NIcholls) Thyne Again (W Burke) Ring The Boss (P HObbs) Mon Mome (Mrs V Williams) An Accordion (D Pipe) The King of Angels (J O'Neill) Albertas Run (J O'Neill) Silverburn (P Nicholls) Battlecry (N Twiston Davies) Barbers Shop (N Henderson) Big Bucks (P NIcholls) Master Minded (P NIcholls) Voy Pur Ustedes (A King) Turko (P Nicholls) Mossbank (M HOurigan) The Listener (R Alner) Bible Lord (A Turnell) Noir Et Vert (F Murphy) High Chimes (E Williams) My Petra (N Henderson) Obviously the likes of Kauto & Denman may make my stable but its a watching brief for now. The above list doesnt include novice chasers which will form my next list to monitor.

Re: Bowles' Jumps thread 2008/9 Todays racing Bet no. 1 3.05 Down Royal NOLAND 10pts win @ 11/8 Blue Square One of the leading novice chasers last year, was put in its place by Tidal Bay in the Arkle but should make into a very decent chaser & has to take on these distances & opposition in order to progress. A short price today but Nicholls has taken this over to Ireland to pick up the prize. His chasers have been spot on this month & i see this being very hard to beat. Bet no. 2 3.00 Wetherby PETTIFOUR 10pts win @ 3/1 Ladbrokes This horse brings its unbeaten record over hurdles & being lightly raced for a 6yo, i can see this being one to follow this season. Won a battling victory over 3m at Aintree to hold off a string of decent horses. The trainer believes he has placed the horse well today & at 3/1 i think its a decent bet.

Todays racing Bet no. 1 3.05 Down Royal NOLAND 10pts win @ 11/8 Blue Square 1ST 6/4:clap One of the leading novice chasers last year, was put in its place by Tidal Bay in the Arkle but should make into a very decent chaser & has to take on these distances & opposition in order to progress. A short price today but Nicholls has taken this over to Ireland to pick up the prize. His chasers have been spot on this month & i see this being very hard to beat. Bet no. 2 3.00 Wetherby PETTIFOUR 10pts win @ 3/1 Ladbrokes 1ST 3/1 :clap This horse brings its unbeaten record over hurdles & being lightly raced for a 6yo, i can see this being one to follow this season. Won a battling victory over 3m at Aintree to hold off a string of decent horses. The trainer believes he has placed the horse well today & at 3/1 i think its a decent bet.
1st 2 bets both win, Pettifour is so game & to get beack up to beat Mobaasher showed what a good horse this one could be. Noland jumped well throughout tracking the leader & Walsh sent it on well 2 out to win fairly easy ridden out. Bets 2 Staked 20pts Returns 63.7pts P/L +43.7pts Yield +218.5%

Re: Bowles' Jumps thread 2008/9 Well done Bowles, Noland is one I'm really interested in this year. Didn't have a bet on the horses today and missed 3 winners i'd have definitely backed: Amber Queen, Kauto Star and Noland. I've got a few new ones to follow to add to my own list later. Will try catch highlights later on Racing UK. Glad your sticking with the stable of horses idea, I know a few were against it and almost ridiculed it but 2 years ago I proved it worked and last year you confirmed it. :ok

Well done Bowles, Noland is one I'm really interested in this year. Didn't have a bet on the horses today and missed 3 winners i'd have definitely backed: Amber Queen, Kauto Star and Noland. I've got a few new ones to follow to add to my own list later. Will try catch highlights later on Racing UK. Glad your sticking with the stable of horses idea, I know a few were against it and almost ridiculed it but 2 years ago I proved it worked and last year you confirmed it. :ok
Thanks Phil, Looking back over the year i could have made a decent amount just by sticking to the 20 or so horses i ended up with. Most Saturdays i had a runner in the big meetings etc. Some nice winners as well & then it all came good at Chelts. Your thread inspired me to do it & its good to see you continue in same vein. Notably yesterday of those to watch, My Petra won 1st time up for the inform henderson & The Listener had an off day in Ireland. Noland also won & i was impressed with that one. Will be aimed at much higher grade now. So 2 out of 3 in the Chasers list & these are only the ones i am watching at present. In the hurdles list Lough Derg ran ok, but wasnt a bet for me yesterday as it needs a much faster pace than it set & i think Ascot will be the place to do that as seen last year. Of the 2 bets i had yesterday which both won, both horses will be in my stable now. Today, i am watching Tidal Bay & Albertas Run take each other on with the preference for my favourite horse of last year Tidal Bay.

Re: Bowles' Jumps thread 2008/9 Bet no. 3 3.30 CORK LILYWHITEDANCER 10PTS WIN @ 13/8 BET365 (BOG) I make sure that i always take note of those horses that run in the Cheltenham bumper in March as they are the best of the crop. It doesnt matter where they finish, they seem to come on the next season & take a hurdle or 2, some develop into top class horses. Ruby takes the mount on this Mullins trained horse which finished 7th 1st time out in a novice hurdle at the Curragh which has already produced a winner since.

Bet no. 3 3.30 CORK LILYWHITEDANCER 10PTS WIN @ 13/8 BET365 (BOG) I make sure that i always take note of those horses that run in the Cheltenham bumper in March as they are the best of the crop. It doesnt matter where they finish, they seem to come on the next season & take a hurdle or 2, some develop into top class horses. Ruby takes the mount on this Mullins trained horse which finished 7th 1st time out in a novice hurdle at the Curragh which has already produced a winner since.
Didnt see the race but the horse fell, went off at Even money. Bets 3 Staked 30pts Returns 63.7pts P/L +33.7pts Yield +112.33%

Re: Bowles' Jumps thread 2008/9 I know we have several similar favourites like Inglis Drever and Voy Por Ustedes but do you have any that you just don't rate from personal opinion. One I don't really rate is Silverburn and I see it is fancied for PaddyPower Gold Cup, i'd rather have Noland for that race and think that will be going in my 10 to follow as that is also the 1st bonus race as far as I know. The Listener is one I really like but just falls short of being top class and Turko is another. I tipped up Kruguyrova and Ring The Boss in the Cheltenham ante post threads last year so I'm interested in those from your list. I'm interested in Punjabi and Binocular from your hurdlers and although Katchit is a personal favourite I don't feel it has the scope for improvement physically that other horses will have. I noticed you've left out Sizing Europe, do you think that would have won the Champion Hurdle if it hadn't blown up? I also think Sublimity would have been closer if it had an extra race before Cheltenham, lacked fitness last year. I thought Franchoek was a banker on the last day of Cheltenham last year and backed it accordingly, cost me a fortune along with Kauto. :wall

Re: Bowles' Jumps thread 2008/9 Likewise Phil, Franchoek cost me a packet & my ante post yankee was VPU, Franchoek, Denman & Inglis. anyway, the lists i have put up are those horses i am interested in monitoring, there will be a much shorter list as i just wish to have around 25 horses from hurdlers/Chasers & novice chasers. You will note that the majority ran at Cheltenham last season & thats where i take my lead from. Silverburn let me down badly last year as i thought it was going to do the business at Cheltenham & it ran out of steam. I dont think it stays at all & the Paddy power will be too far for it.

Re: Bowles' Jumps thread 2008/9 2.40 EXETER MAHOGANY BLAZE 10PTS WIN @ 3/1 Skybet I have a negative on Twist Magic as it has done all its winning on flat tracks which rules it out for me. We dont know how it has recovered from last season & although has won 1st up both the last 2 years, i would take it on round here. Natal is very interesting although having won 1st time up twice in 4 years, it also shows little form on this type of track so not sure it will suit. Howle hill boasts a record of 1-3-2-1-1 1st time up & thats probably the best time to catch it. However, the one i think has an outstanding chance is MAHOGANY BLAZE from the twiston Davies stable. Has won 1st time up in both years, handles the soft ground, & has won here & at Cheltenham which is a good pointer. This is also its best distance.

2.40 EXETER MAHOGANY BLAZE 10PTS WIN @ 3/1 Skybet I have a negative on Twist Magic as it has done all its winning on flat tracks which rules it out for me. We dont know how it has recovered from last season & although has won 1st up both the last 2 years, i would take it on round here. Natal is very interesting although having won 1st time up twice in 4 years, it also shows little form on this type of track so not sure it will suit. Howle hill boasts a record of 1-3-2-1-1 1st time up & thats probably the best time to catch it. However, the one i think has an outstanding chance is MAHOGANY BLAZE from the twiston Davies stable. Has won 1st time up in both years, handles the soft ground, & has won here & at Cheltenham which is a good pointer. This is also its best distance.
2nd, ran well & probably better over slightly further. Beaten by one of my horses i ditched last year Ashley Brook! Decided to confirm the following horses as part of my stable: Breeedsbreeze - Paul Nicholls I had this last year as a hurdler & it duly bolted up in its novice chase 1st time up this season. Mahonia - Paul Nicholls Won very easily the other day in its 1st novice hurdle after finishing 12th in the festival bumper in March. Could have won by 30+L however front 2 were 27L ahead of the others & this one must be followed. Jumped like a stag & will make a decent chaser next year also. Leo's Lucky Star - D Pipe Was a steering job for McCoy last week & will be interested to see if Pipe keeps the horse running regular as i feel this has more improvement in it may well contest the Greatwood at the Paddy Power meeting.

Re: Bowles' Jumps thread 2008/9 Free World from Nicholls stable & owned by Clive Smith should make a winning debut over the larger obstacles after not really hitting top form over hurdles after arriving from france however Nicholls advised the horse hadnt settled last term & is much better this year. Wont be surpirsed to see this progress into a nice horse this year. in what could be a match with Hobbs horse, i am ok with the 6/5 on offer currently with bluesq 1.20 Sandown FREE WORLD 10PTS WIN @ 6/5 Bluesquare 2.20 Wincanton BREEDSBREEZE 10PTS WIN @ EVS Sportingbet In my list to follow this year after seeing it bolt in at Bangor on the bridle. Has a difficult opponent today in Ring The Boss but confident Nicholls animal is on the upgrade & get past that one today. Not sure Ring the boss will be happy to have this one taking it on over these tight fences & will be great to watch this one. Can handle any ground also. 2.50 Not going to put up Takeroc just a note to say looking forward to it over fences later in the season, this race will show what it can do in terms of ability but up against 2 very decent hurdlers - katchit & Blythe Knight, not a bet for me today.

Free World from Nicholls stable & owned by Clive Smith should make a winning debut over the larger obstacles after not really hitting top form over hurdles after arriving from france however Nicholls advised the horse hadnt settled last term & is much better this year. Wont be surpirsed to see this progress into a nice horse this year. in what could be a match with Hobbs horse, i am ok with the 6/5 on offer currently with bluesq 1.20 Sandown FREE WORLD 10PTS WIN @ 6/5 Bluesquare -1ST 5/4 SP:nana 2.20 Wincanton BREEDSBREEZE 10PTS WIN @ EVS Sportingbet - 1ST 4/6 SP:nana In my list to follow this year after seeing it bolt in at Bangor on the bridle. Has a difficult opponent today in Ring The Boss but confident Nicholls animal is on the upgrade & get past that one today. Not sure Ring the boss will be happy to have this one taking it on over these tight fences & will be great to watch this one. Can handle any ground also. 2.50 Not going to put up Takeroc just a note to say looking forward to it over fences later in the season, this race will show what it can do in terms of ability but up against 2 very decent hurdlers - katchit & Blythe Knight, not a bet for me today.
Both won as expected so happy with those 2. Havent seen the Free World race as yet but BB put Ring The Boss in its place & powered away from it when it mattered Bets 6 Wins 4 Staked 60pts Returns 105.7pts P/L +45.7pts Yield +76.16%

Decided to confirm the following horses as part of my stable: Breeedsbreeze - Paul Nicholls I had this last year as a hurdler & it duly bolted up in its novice chase 1st time up this season. Mahonia - Paul Nicholls Won very easily the other day in its 1st novice hurdle after finishing 12th in the festival bumper in March. Could have won by 30+L however front 2 were 27L ahead of the others & this one must be followed. Jumped like a stag & will make a decent chaser next year also. Leo's Lucky Star - D Pipe Was a steering job for McCoy last week & will be interested to see if Pipe keeps the horse running regular as i feel this has more improvement in it may well contest the Greatwood at the Paddy Power meeting.
runs today in the 1.50 at Chelts, i think it will take a good horse to beat American Trilogy so again a watching brief today to see how it does.

runs today in the 1.50 at Chelts' date=' i think it will take a good horse to beat American Trilogy so again a watching brief today to see how it does.[/quote'] I didnt get to see Leo's Lucky star but it didnt perform as expected & wont be following now. Impressed by Ballyfitz's performance just a few minutes ago so will keep that one onside for the rest of the season. Likes Cheltenham also. Todays Bets 2.35 CHELTENHAM Paddy Power Gold Cup IMPERIAL COMMANDER 5pts ew @ 8/1 Paddy Power (GP) The key stat for me at Cheltenham is the course form with 9/11 being c/d winners & the price band of 16/1 & under 10 from 11. We are also looking at those having thier 1st run or just 1 run this season, if they have 1 run they must have finished 1st or 2nd. Vodka Bleu, Imperial Commander, Dont Push it, Stan, Maljimar all score highly on the above stats. Stan & Vodka Bleu are both 9 now which doesnt fit well into the age bracket & both are established chasers where we are looking for something preferably in thier 2nd season. Of all these Imperial Commander fits the stats so well. Still considering backing Silverburn as a saver but Nicholls record in this race is poor to say the least. Halcon Generlardais was in my list last year & was rewarded with a run in the Gold Cup in March. Has ran well 1st time up & looks a shoe in for a place, however the 11/2 EP is just not enough to have a punt for me. A watching brief today but expecting a place. 3.45 CHELTENHAM PRINCE DE BEURY 5pts EW @ 25/1 Sporting bet This price is abslute value for a Henderson trained horse round, every one goes 14/1 highest & lower. Much better than it has shown to date, so expecting at least a place today. This wouldnt normally feature in my thread but i cant miss this value.

2.35 CHELTENHAM Paddy Power Gold Cup IMPERIAL COMMANDER 5pts ew @ 8/1 Paddy Power (GP) :nana The key stat for me at Cheltenham is the course form with 9/11 being c/d winners & the price band of 16/1 & under 10 from 11. We are also looking at those having thier 1st run or just 1 run this season, if they have 1 run they must have finished 1st or 2nd. Vodka Bleu, Imperial Commander, Dont Push it, Stan, Maljimar all score highly on the above stats. Stan & Vodka Bleu are both 9 now which doesnt fit well into the age bracket & both are established chasers where we are looking for something preferably in thier 2nd season. Of all these Imperial Commander fits the stats so well. Still considering backing Silverburn as a saver but Nicholls record in this race is poor to say the least. Halcon Generlardais was in my list last year & was rewarded with a run in the Gold Cup in March. Has ran well 1st time up & looks a shoe in for a place, however the 11/2 EP is just not enough to have a punt for me. A watching brief today but expecting a place. 3.45 CHELTENHAM PRINCE DE BEURY 5pts EW @ 25/1 Sporting bet This price is abslute value for a Henderson trained horse round, every one goes 14/1 highest & lower. Much better than it has shown to date, so expecting at least a place today. This wouldnt normally feature in my thread but i cant miss this value.
Great performance to win the paddy power, although my selection was via my trends for the race, this is a horse that I will consider again this season & also come March at the festival. Proved today it can win in a big field & produced a great performance taking it up about half way. Halcon got that place i talked about (2nd) & for me its the next target that i will be hopefully on it. Maybe another try at the Welsh National but will be top weight no doubt. Prince De Beury proves i shouldnt include these bets in this thread, when will i learn! 20pts staked 60pts returned Bets 8 Wins 5 Staked 80pts Returns 165.7pts P/L +85.7pts Yield +207.12%

Re: Bowles' Jumps thread 2008/9 Tatenen runs in the first race at Cheltenham today & MUST win to stake an Arkle claim. This horse could go to the top & although unbackable today at that price, i am looking forward to seeing it perform. 2 others that take on each other will be worth watching Rippling Ring vs Aigle D'or. I should have put up the value on the horse on Friday when it was 6/1 as I told there was a doubt over Ashkazar (!) which has now been pulled out. Pidgeon Island could get a place from the others at decent odds. Over at punchestown i expect that Jered can beat these in its quest to be best hurdler from Ireland, chuck out the old horses & the 4yo. You are left with Sizing Europe & Jered. 10/11 isnt tempting me yet but may do as the day goes on. 1 bet so far 3.10 Fontwell VERY COOL 10pts win @ 5/2 Ladbrokes Has a hurdles rating of 135 & a chase rating of 107. If it can run anywhere near to its hurdles form then that 28lb difference could make this a good thing today. Negative is Pipe's form & the fact he has withdrawn a number of runners today. He did mention this highly in his trainer file so will follow until beaten.

I didnt get to see Leo's Lucky star but it didnt perform as expected & wont be following now. Impressed by Ballyfitz's performance just a few minutes ago so will keep that one onside for the rest of the season. Likes Cheltenham also. Todays Bets 2.35 CHELTENHAM Paddy Power Gold Cup IMPERIAL COMMANDER 5pts ew @ 8/1 Paddy Power (GP) The key stat for me at Cheltenham is the course form with 9/11 being c/d winners & the price band of 16/1 & under 10 from 11. We are also looking at those having thier 1st run or just 1 run this season, if they have 1 run they must have finished 1st or 2nd. Vodka Bleu, Imperial Commander, Dont Push it, Stan, Maljimar all score highly on the above stats. Stan & Vodka Bleu are both 9 now which doesnt fit well into the age bracket & both are established chasers where we are looking for something preferably in thier 2nd season. Of all these Imperial Commander fits the stats so well. Still considering backing Silverburn as a saver but Nicholls record in this race is poor to say the least.
Great work, brilliant winner :clap

Tatenen runs in the first race at Cheltenham today & MUST win to stake an Arkle claim. This horse could go to the top & although unbackable today at that price, i am looking forward to seeing it perform. 2 others that take on each other will be worth watching Rippling Ring vs Aigle D'or. I should have put up the value on the horse on Friday when it was 6/1 as I told there was a doubt over Ashkazar (!) which has now been pulled out. Pidgeon Island could get a place from the others at decent odds. Over at punchestown i expect that Jered can beat these in its quest to be best hurdler from Ireland, chuck out the old horses & the 4yo. You are left with Sizing Europe & Jered. 10/11 isnt tempting me yet but may do as the day goes on. 1 bet so far 3.10 Fontwell VERY COOL 10pts win @ 5/2 Ladbrokes Has a hurdles rating of 135 & a chase rating of 107. If it can run anywhere near to its hurdles form then that 28lb difference could make this a good thing today. Negative is Pipe's form & the fact he has withdrawn a number of runners today. He did mention this highly in his trainer file so will follow until beaten.
Cheers fintron Well tatenen did what i expected against Straw Bear who is much better suited on a flat track & perhaps Rhanded. Aigle D'or was unlucky & the match between Sizing E & Jered was spoilt by the old timer Hardy Eusatce winning again! My only bet was disappointing with Very Cool being badly hampered by a faller & not really recovering. Bets 9 Wins 5 Staked 90pts Returns 165.7pts P/L +75.7pts Yield +84.11%

Re: Bowles' Jumps thread 2008/9 2.20 Leicster KALAHARI KING 10pts win @ 5/4 Skybet Kalahari king is in my 10 to follow. Expect it to beat these if the talk of the horse is correct. 11/8 may even turn out to be a decent price. Murphy normally hits form around this time also. The ground will be in its favour & no doubt Murphy has a plan mapped out for this stable star.

2.20 Leicster KALAHARI KING 10pts win @ 5/4 Skybet :ok Kalahari king is in my 10 to follow. Expect it to beat these if the talk of the horse is correct. 11/8 may even turn out to be a decent price. Murphy normally hits form around this time also. The ground will be in its favour & no doubt Murphy has a plan mapped out for this stable star.
:nana1st @ 11/8, looks a nice prospect & hopefully will go for the Arkle. Bets 10 Wins 6 Staked 100pts Returns 188.2pts P/L +88.2pts Yield +88.2%

Re: Bowles' Jumps thread 2008/9 Nothing for today but as i away tomorrow, i will put these up at SP prices 3.05 Ascot MAHOGANY BLAZE 10pts win @ SP ran well on reappearance at Exeter behind Ashley Brook. Hasnt won round here yet but gets 5lb off top weight Oslot for a hd victory in April. Seems to race well in small fields so this should be ideal. My Petra could be the one to beat getting lumps of weight. 1.55 Ascot LOUGH DERG 5pts EW @ SP This race tends to go to a staying type with the typical entry being a world hurdle horse or with winning form over 2m4f+. Lough derg meets Nicholls' Elusive Fream on same terms when beating him at Fontwell. LD seems to raise its game at this track & i cant see it being out the 1st 3. 1.20 Ascot JACK THE GIANT 10pts win @SP One of last years exciting horses, sidestepped the Paddy Power & this should be within its reach if wanting to progress this year. Over at Haydock, i wouldnt be surprised to see Star de Mohaison pick up the hurdle over 3m, but its just a watching race for me. Hopefully Binocular will open his account also but too short to bet. Kauto Stra should also win its 3rd Betfair chase. In the 2.45 a big price could be mon Mome from Mrs V Williams yard. i am watching that one with interest this year.

Nothing for today but as i away tomorrow, i will put these up at SP prices 3.05 Ascot MAHOGANY BLAZE 10pts win @ SP - 3RD ran well on reappearance at Exeter behind Ashley Brook. Hasnt won round here yet but gets 5lb off top weight Oslot for a hd victory in April. Seems to race well in small fields so this should be ideal. My Petra could be the one to beat getting lumps of weight. 1.55 Ascot LOUGH DERG 5pts EW @ SP - UNPL This race tends to go to a staying type with the typical entry being a world hurdle horse or with winning form over 2m4f+. Lough derg meets Nicholls' Elusive Fream on same terms when beating him at Fontwell. LD seems to raise its game at this track & i cant see it being out the 1st 3. 1.20 Ascot JACK THE GIANT 10pts win @SP - 1ST Evs:clap One of last years exciting horses, sidestepped the Paddy Power & this should be within its reach if wanting to progress this year. Over at Haydock, i wouldnt be surprised to see Star de Mohaison pick up the hurdle over 3m, but its just a watching race for me. Hopefully Binocular will open his account also but too short to bet. Kauto Stra should also win its 3rd Betfair chase. In the 2.45 a big price could be mon Mome from Mrs V Williams yard. i am watching that one with interest this year.
30pts staked 20pts returned not too bad, Mon Mome ended up only beaten a nk on 1st run this season. I am confident this horse will pick up a decent prize.