Does the ends justify the mean ? - Live Game Hand

voiceofjoe

Hand from our weekly Live Game - I'll not indicate what actions I took, just ask your opinions of what you would have done and why ... (The chip stacks, and bets are pretty fair estimations as Poker News where unable to cover the event due to other commitments:)) Situation £20 Buy-In - £500 Added Around 15 Left - Top 5 Paid Blinds 200/400- 15 minute Levels 8 Seater Tables Starting Stacks $10k 1.Fold 2.Fold 3.Fold 4.Raise $1500 - Stack around $12k, Very Good -Tricky Player - (Loose(ish)-Passive(?)) 5.Fold 6.Button - Fold 7.SB (Short Stack) - All-In $3000 - Standard Pub Player (Any Ace Type of Player) 8.BB -Me - Stack around $18k - Hole Cards AJs There was a bit of History in a hand on the last Round between us same 3 players,where by Player 4 had made a 3xBB raise player 7 had called and I'd come all in OTT for what was then my last $7k. The result of that hand was that Player 4 folded and Player 7 turned AQo and lost to my pair of 7's leaving him with around 500 chips he had since then trebled up, and doubled up to give him around the $3k he had for this all-in push. So I'm looking down at AJs in the BB what do (should) I do ?

Re: Does the ends justify the mean ? - Live Game Hand fold for me,you have 18k and blinds 200/400 no need to be involved imo. if the 1st player has raised 3xbb and has been passive a while then he has high pair (J/J)(/Q/Q)or (A/K). let them fight it out

Re: Does the ends justify the mean ? - Live Game Hand I would fold, no question. There's no need to get involved in the hand imo. I would figure Player 4 is going to have a playable hand to raise nearly 4xBB from mid position even if he is loose(ish). If you call then he is going to at least call, and then you're hoping to hit the flop or be faced with either having to bluff or check-fold. Even if you hit an Ace on the flop, Player 4 could be holding AK or AQ, even AA? If you reraise hoping to isolate the short stack, as in the earlier play, and get called/rereraised then you are almost certainly behind. No need to risk 1/6+ of your stack at this time out of position. Or that is what I would do anyway, fwiw.

Re: Does the ends justify the mean ? - Live Game Hand yeah i agree isolate or fold:ok trouble is by isolating you could be walking into a monster and an all in by player 4 would then be very tricky to put down,you'd need a really decent sized bet to isolate and if player 4 did push it would then be unfoldable in that big a pot. so i would fold as well and wait for a better position.

Re: Does the ends justify the mean ? - Live Game Hand Nice to see everyone is in agreement - I thought quite a while and decided to fold. It did run through my hand to flat call and check down with player 4 to knock out the short stack - my thinking that seeing all 5 community cards would be beneficial to my flushing hand. But I couldn't be guaranteed to see all 5 community cards, player 4 may well not want to play ball - and I'm still throwing away chips in a position where I'm up against possibly 2 better hands. Player 4 turned TT and short stack turned AQo - I was pretty pissed off when the flop came 9T6 all diamonds :cry But relieved when the turn came K and the River brought another 9, giving player 4 the Full House :eek- I'm pretty sure I could have had all my chips in the middle and found myself short stack myself Eventually finishing 4th for £88 :)

Re: Does the ends justify the mean ? - Live Game Hand auto fold for me here, player 4 is surely only going to raising with a good hand, and AJ can get you into all sorts of bother, raise with it for sure, but to call a raise ,re-raise, defo fold.