Poker Books

Jezza

Someone asked in another thread about poker books? Here are my views on a few (I have read quite a lot although by no means anywhere near all of the ones on the market!) David Sklansky - The Theory of Poker This is probably the best book on poker in general ever written probably. However it must be said it is not light reading, dry as 20 crackers stuffed into your mouth at once does not describe this book adequately - its like you've gone back to advanced poker at school and are being made to sit through it! But it is the best, if you can master everything in this book then you are sorted. Infact anything by sklanksky is pretty good, although is books on hold em deal with the limit variety (which it has to be said, is gay as fcuk) Tj Cloutier + Tom McEvoy - Championship pot limit/no limit hold em Now this is a good one as well - its not dry in the slightest and has plenty of good poker storys in it as well on actual advice on how to play specific hands. For cash game and tournament no limit play it is great for a beginner and will teach you how to take down some massive pots with your big hands. Caros Book of Poker Tells - Mike Caro Apart from the fact this book is full of photos of people who probably still think the mullet was a good idea this is another good one...its for live play only tho as it discusses the art of reading what people have from their body language/speech. The stuff in here is REALLY spot on and contains exact descriptions of all the common tells/what someone will say when they are bluffing all this sort of stuff, if you play live poker at all I recommend it. On another note, dont buy phil hellmuths book - its pish Jez

• 2 weeks later...

Poker Books The one that I started with was InternetTexasHoldem by Mathew Hilger (for anyone who watched this years WSOP he was on one of the later tables in the main event). IMO a good thing about this book is that not only does it describe the often forgotten fact of poker outs - pot odds but it makes a big deal of starting hands, explaining why position as well as the actuall hand is important. It also gives strategies for every combination, how to play sets, two pairs etc, right up to heads up small blind v big blind. I found it easy to read, it wasnt all stats and figures. What I esp liked was the end of each chapter in the Q & A where it describes actual hands played wth the outcome, even pointing out flaws how the hand was played (even if it won) and why often the correct play loses the pot. The website from the same author (same title) is also a good ref point. One thing to point out though is this is a Limit book. Im looking for a more NL orientated book so I might try the one by TJ Cloutier that you rec Jezza.

• 1 month later...

Re: Poker Books

Tj Cloutier + Tom McEvoy - Championship pot limit/no limit hold em Now this is a good one as well - its not dry in the slightest and has plenty of good poker storys in it as well on actual advice on how to play specific hands. For cash game and tournament no limit play it is great for a beginner and will teach you how to take down some massive pots with your big hands. Jez
Bought this book recently myself Jezza, and I think it's a great read. It highlights some important points without going massively into extensive outs/counterfitted outs and pot odds like some other books. Although it is obviously important to understand this, many books aimed at the online game get too tied down with outs and pot odds. Imo it is very difficult to work out all your out's that will win you the hand, discount counterfitted outs (that would improve another players hand) and then calculate the pot odds, in the short time you have available to make a decision when playing online.

• 2 months later...

Re: Poker Books

On another note, dont buy phil hellmuths book - its pish
Anyone want to buy a second-hand copy of Phil Hellmuth's book? :o Another one to avoid is Winning At Internet Poker for Dummies. Probably the best one I've got is Winning Low Limit Hold 'Em by Lee Jones. It seems to be held in pretty high regard on the poker forums I've visited.

Re: Poker Books 97 quid for a book ? Erm no thanks. Persoanlly I would say there's no "secret" to winning at poker. Everything you need to know about starting hands, the maths of the game etc is already available in books. Parts relevant to the internet if you cant work out yourself you shouldn't be playing. THings like bluff less, quick checks are often weak hands(not always) etc etc. It's sounds the same as pay X amount of cash for all these amazing fruit machine tricks, doesn't work like that !