Portugal v Germany -1st Quarter Final

Re: Portugal v Germany -1st Quarter Final

Not a huge profit but as good as buying money as you can get.
Nice shout on the +3. I was actually a bit cautious over 2.5 so took the +2 at lower odds with a stake refund on two. Course now I wish id had a speculative punt on the 3.5+. CHING. Easy to say that after the event though. Heh

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My pick for tomorrow: Portugal-Germany What a great game this should be. Portugal is more rested and is at full strength. Germany has both Frings and Podolsky injured and doubtful for the game. Portugal greatest weakness is the crosses to the box as keeper Ricardo is great between the posts but sucks in the "air balls" and the fact that there's no left back in the team (Paulo Ferreira is an adaptation. He defends well but that cripples the team offensively on the left). Germany greatest weakness is clear to also be its defense. The Centre Backs are tall but suck with the ball on the ground and with fast plays (and this is how Portugal plays). The left back also doesn't seem very good and only Lahm is a top player. Like Ronaldo very well said it, this type of game is often won in a detail...and the huge detail that makes a difference here is Ronaldo himself. I think Portugal will advance and I expect more than 2 goals in this game (regular time). My picks: Portugal to advance to que semi-finals (1.76) lost and >2 goals (1.92) won; Good luck! JC
Far too many defensive mistakes in the game and that German 3rd goal (clearly a foul on Paulo Ferreira not called by the linesman or the ref...the usual in this tournament against Portugal since the 1st game...) surely killed the game when Portugal was pressuring for the draw and Germany was playing no different from Sweden last Saturday againt Spain (all men behind the ball line and only coming forward for set pieces). Still, not a bad day at all as the over bet (had more units on that bet) covered the other one. JC

Re: EURO 2008 Knockout Stage

Thursday, 19.06.2008 20:45 Portugal - Germany 2.40 3.00 3.25 Friday, 20.06.2008 20:45 Croatia - Turkey 1.91 3.20 4.50 Portugal vs Germany Portugal lived up to the expectations regardless of the defeat in the group A last game when they lost to Switzerland, but the match bore no significance result wise. Scolari rested even eight starters so the failure wasn't painful for them. Germany are meeting Portugal in the early stage since they have failed to come in first in group B. Pantzers are relying on their experience but also on the fact that offensive rivals suit them better. Germany don't handle defensive sides well which was obvious in the duel against Croatia. Over the last few days scorer of three goals in this championship, Podolski has trained less but his chances to join the starting eleven are higher. Germany shouldn’t be underestimated nor should we jump to conclusions about the game against Croatia. They will be much more aggressive in the game against Portugal and they will also have much more space. Scolari formed an excellent squad, the back line is especially impressive- Carvalho and Pepe function perfectly. Unlike some earlier generations, even Figo’s, this one seems much more serious in their approach which is coach’s merit. Scolari is sometimes a true dictator but all for the team’s good. Tactical discipline, patient play, insisting on aggressive approach is something that Portuguese traditionally lack. Portugal have huge experience so we won’t be wrong if we say that Portugal probably won’t have such chance in recent history to finally win an important title. In my opinion Portugal are the favourites, however it is hard to bet against Germany. I see open game here, so I will go over 2.5 goals.:hope Tradition: TOTAL OF 15 GAMES – 7 Germany wins, 5 draws, 3 Portugal wins EURO 1984 – Portugal vs. Germany 0:0 EURO 2000 – Portugal vs. Germany 3:0 Last 5 Portugal matches: 15.06.2008 GROUP A Switzerland-Portugal 2:0 11.06.2008 GROUP A Czech Rep.-Portugal 1:3 07.06.2008 GROUP A Portugal-Turkey 2:0 31.05.2008 FRIEND Portugal-Georgia 2:0 26.03.2008 FRIEND Portugal-Greece 1:2 Last 5 Germany matches: 16.06.2008 GROUP B Austria - Germany 0:1 12.06.2008 GROUP B Croatia - Germany 2:1 08.06.2008 GROUP B Germany - Poland 2:0 31.05.2008 FRIEND Germany - Serbia 2:1 27.05.2008 FRIEND Germany - Belarus 2:2 :cheers
I very good pick!!!:clap :cheers

Far too many defensive mistakes in the game and that German 3rd goal (clearly a foul on Paulo Ferreira not called by the linesman or the ref...the usual in this tournament against Portugal since the 1st game...) surely killed the game when Portugal was pressuring for the draw and Germany was playing no different from Sweden last Saturday againt Spain (all men behind the ball line and only coming forward for set pieces). Still, not a bad day at all as the over bet (had more units on that bet) covered the other one. JC
The 3rd goal was definitely a foul but it makes no difference really. The German tactics were spot on and there was only one winner in that game as soon as Schweinsteiger scored. Portugal wouldnt have won if Scolaris mum had been the ref! :lol Germany are peaking at just the right time. As they usually do!

That really annoys me! Its not like they ever mention Wales or Scotland to give it some balance, its all England this and England that, most usually on ITV. Still, not being funny but I'd rather put up with that than actually have England there and have to have all the incessant media hype and flags on cars etc. Its nice to have a tournament off once every decade! Anyway well done Germany. 41-1 to 1 for Germany to win 3-2! Never write off the Germans.
Mentioning Wales or Scotland in comparison to England (FC) is like talking about the Monkees in relation to the Beatles. England - World Cup winners 2010. :dude ;)

Portugal v Germany German fans could be forgiven for doubting the national team's credibility as tournament favourites to lift the continental crown. There was nothing their fans could shout about based on their performance in the group stages. The Germans showed promise against Poland, and it proved to be just a rouse as they found it hard to contain a spirited Croatia. Only a Michael Ballack freekick gave them the 1-0 victory over Austria that booked them a date with Portugal tonight in the quarterfinals. The German style can be summed up in one word - INEFFECTIVE. In my opinion, it is not possible to contain Ronaldo. The only way to stop Ronaldo is for Ronaldo to stop playing. One could only hope that he has an off day. And herein lies the key to a Portugese victory - midfield. Germany, lethargic & uninspired to say the least. Portugal to win by two clear goals. LOST! Total goal over 2.25 WON! Both teams to score WON!, scoreline 2 - 1/3 - 1 LOST! Interesting to note that 65% of the results have favored teams that started with a +0.25 handicap Russia +0.25 v Sweden = 2 - 0 Italy v France +0.25 = 2 - 0 Romania v Netherlands +0.25 = 0 - 2 Poland v Croatia +0.25 = 0 - 1 Switzerland +0.25 v Portugal = 2 - 0 Turkey +0.25 v Czech = 3 - 2 Greece +0.25 v Russia = 0 - 1 Austria +0.25 v Poland = 1 - 1 Switzerland v Turkey +0.25 = 1 - 2 Greece +0.25 v Sweden = 0 - 2 Netherland +0.25 v Italy = 3 - 0
Portugal ran out of ideas...Germany looked inspired...or maybe Portugal made them look good... Germany didn't stop Ronaldo...Ronaldo just didnt show up...:lol 8 out of 12 matches have gone in favour of teams with +0.25 handicap... Germany decided to turn up and play football for once...sneaky...someone shoot Ricardo...

maybe next time' date=' Portugal should get a goalkeeper who knows what to do.[/quote'] True Sir Fernando. He (Ricardo) was a hero in the semi-finals of Euro 2004 against England in the penalty shoot-out (he even scored the last penalty shot)...yesterday he was a villain...that's life! Like I wrote in my game preview that was Portugal's biggest weakness. They surely trained it and still allowed two goals from "air" crosses to the box :@! Quim (Benfica's keeper) had a great season but got injured in a training session before the Euro started...Ricardo spent 2nd half of the season in the bench for Betis Sevilla but he's Scolari's prefered keeper... :cheers JC