** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

NZ v England - 3 Tests

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: NZ v England - 3 Tests I dont think this pitch is a huge 'belter' although admitedly both teams have batted really poorly on it. The NZ batting line up is pretty awful though isn't it. Bell is one of the biggest jokers I've ever seen, utterly useless. How does have his strong points but also a few weaknesses. Sinclair is another hopeless case. Fleming and Taylor are their 2 best really and to be fair both were 'got out' today, certainly Taylor was. After that, except for Vetorri, you'll always fancy the others giving you plenty of chances

Re: NZ v England - 3 Tests

I dont think this pitch is a huge 'belter' although admitedly both teams have batted really poorly on it. The NZ batting line up is pretty awful though isn't it. Bell is one of the biggest jokers I've ever seen, utterly useless. How does have his strong points but also a few weaknesses. Sinclair is another hopeless case. Fleming and Taylor are their 2 best really and to be fair both were 'got out' today, certainly Taylor was. After that, except for Vetorri, you'll always fancy the others giving you plenty of chances
No the pitch isn't a huge belter but it's not a 253 vs 155/8 pitch either is it? Both sides looked like making 300+ on it at one stage and neither have got close really. I agree with everything you've said about the NZ batting lineup with the exception of How who I think is potentially a very good player (especially as he got out on 190 runs for the series today :lol) but you can say much the same about our batting lineup. We are a poor side for me and I've told you that a few times in the past but we don't help ourselves at times. Whatever anyone's views on Strauss coming back are can be passed over for a second but why in gods name are we batting the bloke at 3? He's never batted 3 in his life :unsure. We won the Ashes with Vaughan batting 3 and Strauss opening, why have we suddenly reversed their roles :unsure. Makes absolutely no sense to me.

Re: NZ v England - 3 Tests 85 run deficit - 6.25pts for me. Looked locked on for good profit at lunch. England chalked up at 285-300 second dig. Cook - 55 Vaughan - 10 Strauss - 8 KP - 0 Bell - 12 Colly - 30 Ambrose -5 Broad -20 Sideshow - 5 Monty - 1* Anderson - 0 Hallo - Vaughan just out for 4!

Re: NZ v England - 3 Tests Vaughan shot was as bad as it gets :loon These 2 looking more settled now though. Strauss has actually impressed me so far, he knows he's batting for his Eng future here and appears more concentrated. Now needs to go on and make a ton.

Re: NZ v England - 3 Tests I'm still not convinced this one is safe yet, just the way this series has gone, another twist wouldn't surprise me. I do think KP will go on from here though. 10pts K.Pietersen's 2nd Inns Runs - Over 42.5 5/6 Blue Square Kevin Pietersen finally ended his barren spell by his standards with 120 in the 1st innings of this match and with this pitch still looking like a really good pitch I expect him to go on and get a few more in this 2nd inns. He'll begin day 3 on 7 not out so we need him to clock up another 36 runs. It's more the match situation which makes me like this bet though. England lead by 176 runs with 3 days remaining and I think the message will be to bat sensibly and bat the day out and ensure a lead of 400+. That means KP won't have to force the pace. Given his reputation and his class there will be singles on offer to him and it's that reason why I expect to see KP go past this target.

Re: NZ v England - 3 Tests Not the end to the series I was hoping for, -18.92 for the 3rd test but I was still +14.61 for the matches. Jamie How made his total for the series which gave me a good start to the outrights but NZ couldn't build on their 1st test win and Cook never got going so I was -1.15pts for the outrights which gave me a series total of +13.46pts. Really enjoyed the series despite the standard not always being the best. The two teams do battle again in May.

Re: NZ v England - 3 Tests

I am with England for this series' date=' [b']4/5 10 pts is not that bad I reckon. England have iffy recent form in tests particularly away from home, I think it is just 1 win from the last 15 away tests which is a very poor record when considering the ability in the team. However the face a NZ team who for me will struggle big time to get 20 wickets to win a match, I see they may go the two spinners (Vetorri and Patel) but I just do not think England, in particular Pietersen if he was at the crease, let them settle especially Patel. Their pace attack looks pretty friendly. Martin looks an improved bowler but if he is their star paceman with no Bond then he would be nowhere near the England team and that suggests just a bit about the gulf between the teams. England have underachieved of late in tests and this is the chance to put it right. Batsman should score runs or they should be dropped with the competition for places, even Vaughan who splendid captain he is, now has added pressure due to recent results and the split captaincy which normally ends one way. I can see why Vaughan is opening in the sense that he is still proven in that position and the dismal failure of Cook/Strauss opening partnership but equally I understand what Kev is saying about the slightly strange process of consistency. Just one more would be Sidebottom @ 5/2 for top eng wicket taker. He is now fit and since he has come into the Test and ODI sides he has been revelation imo. I had doubts when he was picked but he has been most impressive and his figures are nowhere near as impressive as they would be if the fielders had backed him up. Pitches in NZ can be flat and slow at times but equally there can be swing and overhead conditions can and often do suit in that area. I just hope Sidebottom does not turn into one of those bowlers who always goes past the edge and the wickets happen at the other end. To sum, up England for me in the series, I think they have far too much firepower.
Both bets won.