** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

NZ v England - 3 Tests

Re: NZ v England - 3 Tests England could not catch a cold today - fielding was the worst I have ever seen from any international team. Very fortunate to get that last wicket in the bad light, with a fast bowler and a new ball... not complaining though as it keeps my wallet healthy

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: NZ v England - 3 Tests The umpires flaffing around with the light at the end was a bit of a shambles. 5 down going into tomorrow this might have been on. McC (series perf) and Vettori (series runs) out there so I'll set the alarm for Day 5 (5.30am here) and see if they can negotiate the first hour.

Re: NZ v England - 3 Tests With McCullum hitting more than 14 runs last night I'm +9.2pts for the 2nd test bets which I'll take although with another wicket on day 1 or Vettori not running out of partners 3 runs short of the top bat it could've been much much more. +33.53 for the series though going into Napier. England should win this one and make it 1-1 from here but these two can both bat and if they can bat the 1st hour/hour and a half they could create an Edgbaston 2005 scenario.

Re: NZ v England - 3 Tests And so to Napier. Hawke's Bay region has had this year's hot, dry summer to make a normally batsman friendly pitch, batsman very friendly. It was here the tied ODI produced 680 :eek runs last month. There could be a bit of rain around Sunday/Monday, but weather sites can't agree at all at this stage. NZ 6.4 Eng 3.2 Draw 1.86 For once the draw price doesn't look that daft. But there are probably better ways in. First, square up the series spreads. NZ wkt perf. Bought @ 275 at 0.5pts. So Far 271/2 Now Quoted 369-377 There are good reasons to get out of the McCullum perf now. In the last test here (drawn v Lankans in 2005) 30 wickets fell. How many caught keeper. ONE! Lack of pace, bounce, carry in the pitch is not conducive to keeper catches. 13 wkts fell in the ODI this year. ONE caught behind. So it doesn't look as if one can rely on too many 10pts for McCullum catches. Puts too heavy emphasis on runs. But think England are starting to work him out. Broad bowled well to him in Wellington. Anyway, time to duck out. SELL NZ wkt perf @ 369 at 0.5pts +47 pts Vettori runs. Bought @ 125 at 1pt. SF 173/2 NQ 219-225 My worry here is that if this veally is a road/bore draw, Vettori at 8 may only get one knock. So he'd need 50 odd to make it worthwhile to let this spread punt run. Could well get them, but common sense sense time to bale. SELL Vettori runs @ 219 at 1pt +94 pts Bets 3rd test follow. Prefer to submit before typing too much :( !

Re: NZ v England - 3 Tests No team news yet. Elliot for Sinclair & Patel for Gillespie wd make Kiwi sense. Which would leave Matthew Bell in as opener. Suppose England will be unchanged. First wkt partnership first innings looks easy :eek to cash in on. This has been 84-44 & 79-4 in first two tests. But will they replace Bell? No matter: 18 pts Eng -4.5 @ 5/6 There were 4 first innings centuries (2 each side) scored here in 2005, the sort of thing you'd expect to repeat this weekend. But who? Cook, Pietersen/Fleming, Taylor. Maybe. Taylor's first innings knocks this series have been 120 @ 53 and he should be hard to dislodge here. 16pts Taylor 1st innings 50 @ 13/8 5pts Taylor 1st innings 100 @ 6-1 (all at Lads) :cheers

Re: NZ v England - 3 Tests Southee in for Mills. --- Couple of spreads. John Bracewell had a chat with NZ bowlers after Ambrose had got to 97* overnight in Wellington. He went on to make 5 more. Made 5 in second innings. Which indicates sod all perhaps, but I think Ambrose runs can be opposed here. Think Broad has the makings of a decent No.8 and will now have a real bit of test cricket confidence. At low stakes: 0.30pt SELL Ambrose/Broad match runs @ 22.5 KP. Totally lost his mojo, no 50 in 10 innings. This quote on 5 Live: "You go through some good troughs; you go through some bad troughs." Yeah, you know what he meant, but the current (subconscious?) mindset is revealing. He's 88-95 total runs in this. But I ain't selling. I'm going with the showman to salvage something from the winter and set up a bit of a KP buzz for the summer. There are short boundaries here. This pitch is set up for him. With a max downside of 16: 1pt BUY Pietersen ton-ups @ 16

Re: NZ v England - 3 Tests ENGLAND @ 3.6 Betfair. I was quite interested in the draw earlier in the week, but just keep being drawn to this price. Oram and Mills out for NZ makes England look better in all departments. England have the momentum from the last test and still think NZ "fluked" a win on that very dodgy pitch in the 1st test. Weather forecast looks OKish, with a lot of low cloud helping Englands bowlers. Expect Sidebottom and Anderson to do a job on NZs dodgy top order and hopefully England get the time to knock off a lot of runs.

Re: NZ v England - 3 Tests Draw looks very much a runner here, 4 of the 5 tests here have been draws, pitch looks flat as a pancake, was a runfest in the ODI here and there's the threat of rain. May look to have an in running bet on the side batting 1st as it looks like it will be extremely difficult to win this batting 2nd. Going with 4 bets but I'm thinking along exactly the same lines as Pie-C really. Think Taylor is very much the one to follow here. 10pts England Highest Opening Partnership (1st Inns Only) 8/11 Coral England's openers have got the better of their Kiwi counterparts in every innings in this series so far and I see no reason why that shouldn't continue here. Matthew Bell looks out of his depth at this level and England have been on top of him all series. England's openers should enjoy this pitch with it's pace and bounce and that should be enough to enforce a higher 1st inns opening partnership. Kyle Mills will be missing for New Zealand which could give the England openers a further edge to make it 5 from 5. 10pts M.Vaughan -5.5 runs to beat M.Bell (1st Inns Only) 8/11 Ladbrokes As I said before Matthew Bell looks out of his depth at this level. His footwork looks absolutely awful and although he batted better 2nd time around at Wellington I'm still not convinced he's up to this standard. Michael Vaughan definitely is though and he'll be aiming to score big and set up the test match for his side. Bell has a top score in this series of just 29 which you'd think he'd have to improve on to stick with Vaughan on a good deck. Even giving away a 5.5 start though I think Vaughan will cover this handicap. 10pts R.Taylor to score a 50 in 1st inns 13/8 Ladbrokes Ross Taylor is the form man for the Kiwi's in this series. He came into it with a poor start to his test career but he's put that behind him and has been NZ's best batsman by far. His 1st innings scores in this series to date are 120 and 53 which indicates he's scoring well. This is his home ground and looks by far the best batting track of the series which further boosts his chances of a 50. He made 48 in a hustle and bustle innings in the ODI here and I think with all the time he needs in a test innings that he'll go past 50 here. 5pts ew P.Collingwood Top England Batsman (1st Inns Only) 11/2 Boylesports (1/4 1,2,3) Paul Collingwood is England's leading runscorer in the series so far with 192 runs from his 4 innings at an average of 48. Those 4 innings include 3 half centuries and you'd have to think that the way he's batting it's only a matter of time before he converts one of those half centuries into a really big hundred and here gives him the perfect chance. He made 54 off 30 balls in the ODI here which included 6 6's so he should be confident when he walks to the wicket. England's batsmen in this series thus far have a growing habit of getting a start then getting out so Collingwood should be well in with a chance of top scoring when he comes to the crease and on a pitch that would appear to suit him the England ODI captain looks an ew bet to nothing here.

Re: NZ v England - 3 Tests 240/7 at close. The grizzled England captain undone by a 19 year old with 11 first class games under his belt. 16 pts lost before I put the kettle on (here). :wall Swings/roundabouts. Spreads look good having picked KP and Broad to do something. And with a 60 run start for NZ on first innings. :ok Long way to go in this test yet, but these exchange odds are frankly nuts. 2.54 3.6 3.0 Should be 1.75 4.60 6.00 40pts NZ win @ 6-4 (blsq)

Re: NZ v England - 3 Tests I can practically tell whats happened by the pitch of the ball and sound on the radio which is worrying! On another note, and im sure I've said this before on her the problem with cricket (in Worcester and I'm sure in other places) is that unless you go to private school or know someone etc etc you don't stand much of a chance This seems to run down through county cricket in general and needs to be sorted before we can go forward properly

Re: NZ v England - 3 Tests NZ are in the middle of a serious collapse here I must say - Brendon McCullum Ok we all know he's a bit different but IMO he's come in here and played a bit stupidly. Trying to hit nearly everything for 4 just isn't gonna work. There's being positively aggressive, and theres being silly, he's done the latter here IMO

Re: NZ v England - 3 Tests

NZ are in the middle of a serious collapse here I must say - Brendon McCullum Ok we all know he's a bit different but IMO he's come in here and played a bit stupidly. Trying to hit nearly everything for 4 just isn't gonna work. There's being positively aggressive, and theres being silly, he's done the latter here IMO
Good news for us though. does sound like poor shot selection on their part but think we did the same. Was worried about the series (have no bets on, just cricket wise!) but we are back in now. NZ were never gonna be easy but to be a prospect at test level we need to be beating these, and we simply have gone 5 steps backwards since we had a good time against the ozzies. NZ are decent, don't get me wrong, but they are also going through a big transition of players, however we only need a few of the new blood in theory to progress, but judging byt his we need a new squad!

Re: NZ v England - 3 Tests

They're one of the shittest test teams in the world' date=' to lose this series would be really poor IMO and a major worry.[/quote'] I was trying to be nice but that about sums it up......... GOT HIM THEN THOUGH! ELLIOTT As I said, should be beating NZ in the stage they are in now easily if we mean business For 7 now though ans shout cruise

Re: NZ v England - 3 Tests I think we will now tbh, Sidey has bowled really well here (and has done for a while now) There are some concerns with our bowling attack, although I'd say the batting is of more worry. Strauss has surely had his last chance now and must be dropped IMO. Bell also hasn't really done enough, often gets set, and then gets out. I do like the prospect of Staurt Broad. A good young bowler who also looks like he could become useful with the bat

Re: NZ v England - 3 Tests It's fair to say these are 2 poor sides. There's no point in dressing it up otherwise. England have been poor since 2005 it's just taken this series for everyone to suddenly realise it. These two batting "efforts" have been the worst I've seen for a while tbh. 5 weeks ago both sides made 340 from 50 overs and here England have made 253 in 96.1 overs and NZ were 7 down after 40 overs. Can't believe the pitch has changed that much so it has to go down as an awful display of batting. I don't know what's worse, the standard of cricket these two have produced or the fact they both get to do it again over here in 2 months time :loon.