** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **

Champions League (Feb 20th)

Wednesday 20 February 2008Home Draw Away bookmakers margin on the event. However, they do not take account of commissions that may be charged.">BPP
Arsenal v Milan (19:45GMT) 2.213.254.00101% Details »
Hide « Arsenal v Milan
Celtic v Barcelona (19:45GMT) 4.903.501.94101% Details »
Hide « Celtic v Barcelona
Fenerbahçe v Sevilla (19:45GMT) 2.913.252.85100% Details »
Hide « Fenerbahçe v Sevilla
Lyon v Manchester Utd (19:45GMT) 3.553.302.40100% Details »

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Champions League (Feb 20th) Wouldnt touch any of these games. Arsenal will have to try and take a lead to Milan which wont be hard and will leave holes in the defence. I think Man Utd will be happy with a draw as their at home in the 2nd leg and Celtic are a very good side in the champs league at home but are playing Barcelona who are world class when they want to be but can have an off day. Fenerbache and Sevilla is also an unpredictable game.

Re: Champions League (Feb 20th) Goalkeeping injuries mean Milan headache Sunday 17 February 2008 - email.gifShareprint.gifPrint10x10-digg-thumb.gifDiggdelicious.small.gifSave 652976_mediumsquare.jpg Zeljko Kalac is a doubt for Milan's trip to Arsenal, as is understudy Dida (©Getty Images) AC Milan may face a goalkeeping crisis in Wednesday's UEFA Champions League trip to Arsenal FC amid doubts over both Zeljko Kalac and Dida. Duo injured Kalac, who has recently replaced Dida as first choice, dislocated a finger on his right hand in training today, while the Brazilian has been undergoing treatment for the back injury he suffered while on the bench during yesterday's 0-0 draw against Parma FC. A club statement read: "AC Milan announces that during today’s training session goalkeeper Zeljko Kalac suffered a dislocation in the index finger on his right hand. His condition will be evaluated tomorrow to ascertain whether he will be available for the trip to London to play Arsenal." Fiori on standby If neither goalkeeper recovers, 38-year-old Valerio Fiori could be called upon to make his UEFA Champions League debut in the first knockout round first leg. He has not played a competitive game since 18 December 2003 when he replaced Christian Abbiati in a Coppa Italia tie against UC Sampdoria, and a Serie A appearance in 2002/03 was his only such opportunity in eight seasons at Milan. ©uefa.com 1998-2008. All rights reserved.

Re: Champions League (Feb 20th)

Wouldnt touch any of these games. Arsenal will have to try and take a lead to Milan which wont be hard and will leave holes in the defence. I think Man Utd will be happy with a draw as their at home in the 2nd leg and Celtic are a very good side in the champs league at home but are playing Barcelona who are world class when they want to be but can have an off day. Fenerbache and Sevilla is also an unpredictable game.
A draw yankee then!

Re: Champions League (Feb 20th) Odds to Qualify for Quarter Finals:

Wednesday 20 February 2008Team 1 Team 2 bookmakers margin on the event. However, they do not take account of commissions that may be charged.">BPP
Arsenal v Milan (19:45GMT)2.002.00100%Details »
Hide « Arsenal v Milan
Celtic v Barcelona (19:45GMT)6.401.2099%Details »
Hide « Celtic v Barcelona
Fenerbahçe v Sevilla (19:45GMT)3.101.47100%Details »
Hide « Fenerbahçe v Sevilla
Lyon v Manchester Utd (19:45GMT)3.401.4499%Details »

Re: Champions League (Feb 20th) I think Man United will be far too strong for Lyon. I have watched them a couple of times this season, particularly against Rangers and Rangers tore them apart in Lyon and i just think Man United have a bit too much class for them. As for the others - i won't be touching.

I think Man United will be far too strong for Lyon. I have watched them a couple of times this season' date=' particularly against Rangers and Rangers tore them apart in Lyon and i just think Man United have a bit too much class for them. As for the others - i won't be touching.[/quote'] The Lyon rangers game was one of those freak results where Rangers scored with every chance they had and got all the breaks, Lyon held Barca and beat Stuttgart in their other group games before gaining revenge against Rangers at Ibrox. Benzema is a top striker and will be a threat - I think this will be a tricky tie for Utd, they should have enough to see off Lyon at Old Trafford but the game at the Stade Gerland could go either way.

I think Man United will be far too strong for Lyon. I have watched them a couple of times this season' date=' particularly against Rangers and [b']Rangers tore them apart in Lyon and i just think Man United have a bit too much class for them. As for the others - i won't be touching.
While the Rangers result was obviously impressive, I don't know how you got the impression that they "tore them apart" - Lyon dominated the game, and Rangers made the most of their few chances.

Re: Champions League (Feb 20th) itsafortressnov07shakthkj5.jpg this record albeit impressive has 1 blip in it and happens to be barca, recent injury worries for barca are now completley eradicated with eto'o, puyol and henry declared fit we have brown suspended and hinkel cup-tied - balde came back from african nations injured ( which I reckon is a blessing ) 23 7 1 is as good as anyone in europe, with the cream of europe included in this list. All the noise coming from spain is that they want to finish the tie in glasgow although I reckon Barca will play this cagey, this is def unders IMO and Im going to go for 0-0 @ 7/1 actually a perm of any 3 from 4 draws for tomorrow night looks a very good bet IMO.

this record albeit impressive has 1 blip in it and happens to be barca, recent injury worries for barca are now completley eradicated with eto'o, puyol and henry declared fit we have brown suspended and hinkel cup-tied - balde came back from african nations injured ( which I reckon is a blessing ) 23 7 1 is as good as anyone in europe, with the cream of europe included in this list. All the noise coming from spain is that they want to finish the tie in glasgow although I reckon Barca will play this cagey, this is def unders IMO and Im going to go for 0-0 @ 7/1 actually a perm of any 3 from 4 draws for tomorrow night looks a very good bet IMO.
I believe in a good Celtic performance, so my pick is Celtic + 0,25 at 2,32. Barca are much better defensively this season, but Celtic are just great at home. Funny enough this only loss was vs Barca, but a lot must have been learned and picked since then. Both teams are in good shape, guests wouldn't mind going home with a draw. Celtic should try to win this one, but vs the Catalans it will be a very careful approach... Good luck

itsafortressnov07shakthkj5.jpg this record albeit impressive has 1 blip in it and happens to be barca, recent injury worries for barca are now completley eradicated with eto'o, puyol and henry declared fit we have brown suspended and hinkel cup-tied - balde came back from african nations injured ( which I reckon is a blessing ) 23 7 1 is as good as anyone in europe, with the cream of europe included in this list. All the noise coming from spain is that they want to finish the tie in glasgow although I reckon Barca will play this cagey, this is def unders IMO and Im going to go for 0-0 @ 7/1 actually a perm of any 3 from 4 draws for tomorrow night looks a very good bet IMO.
Wednesday night brings about one of the biggest games in Europe for Celtic in many seasons. Last year we played AC Milan in the last 16 stage and were held 0-0 at home. A similiar result occured in the return match in the San Siro to lead us to extra time where we were put out by the master class of Kaka. In my opinion Celtic will go out on Wednesday night looking to score and take a lead into the return leg in the lovely city that is Barcelona. I would imagine we will line up in the 4-4-2 formation that has served us so well in recent games ( 5-1, 5-1, 3-0 ) Goals have been coming second nature to Celtic at the moment and although I know Barcelona defenders are somewhat a step above the 'run of the mill' defenders Veneegor of Hesselink and co. have to face in the SPL, I believe with the creative ability of Adien McGeady and Nakamura we really have a great chance of scoring against the Catalonian Giants. If we are to win the game, the defence (which will have to be moved around a bit due to the ineligibility of Andreas Hinkel) will have to be on top form and keep Henry, Eto'o and Messi at bay. Arthur Boruc will have to have another solid performance between the posts and it is these kind of games he thrives on. The suspension of Scott Brown is a big blow for the Celtic midfield however replacements may include the experienced Paul Hartley or the new signing Barry Robson, whom will surley shine on such a big stage. IMO Celtic will approach this game differently to the way they approached their last 16 tie against Milan last year..... I believe Gordan Strachan will now understand the importance of home advantage and given Celtics poor away record in the CL he will do all he can to take a lead into the second leg. Celtic Park will be buzzing, the hype up this end of the city is already starting to build, the fortress that is Parkhead will be full to the rafters with 60,000 fans cheering the boys on.....at 4.5 I see value in betting on what could be another magical european night in the East End of Glasgow Good Luck :ok

Re: Champions League (Feb 20th) very optimistic lads ur bettin with ur hearts rather than ur heads.. barca will beat celtic hands down and are only team t beat em in europe i wudn read too much into that but with the quality on display henry eto'o messi ronaldinho iniesta the celts wont need to go t nou camp 4 2nd leg theyll be well beaten.. 3-1 t barca get on at 16s

very optimistic lads ur bettin with ur hearts rather than ur heads.. barca will beat celtic hands down and are only team t beat em in europe i wudn read too much into that but with the quality on display henry eto'o messi ronaldinho iniesta the celts wont need to go t nou camp 4 2nd leg theyll be well beaten.. 3-1 t barca get on at 16s
I wouldn't say they were betting with their hearts, if you look at Celtic's home record it is a bit simplistic to say Barcelona will win hands down and undermines all our achievements in recent years. Previous results include 11th March 2004 Celtic 1-0 Barcelona 14th September 2004 Celtic 1-3 Barcelona Barca are the only side to beat us on home soil but that was a Celtic team that was ageing and about to disintegrate and was our worst Champions League group campaign, the only time we have finished bottom from a group. Even then, emotions were running high with the return of a Celtic legend, Henrik Larsson. Celtic have also hit form domestically over the last couple of weeks and have impressed in 5-1 victories over Kilmarnock and Aberdeen and beating Hearts 3-0 also. In Aiden McGeady we have our very own Messi, the Republic of Ireland international has been on scintillating form and he carried Celtic through the 1-0 victory over Benfica scoring the only goal. This will also be the first time both McGeady and Nakamura have started a European game since the qualifier against Spartak Moscow and both are capable of moments of magic which can open up any defence. Barca have also had a disappointing season domestically with a 4 6 2 away record and these include visiting grounds not as intimidating as Celtic Park. In the group stages they were unbeaten away from home drawing at both Rangers and Lyon, this will be a different game from the last one they played in Glasgow, Rangers went 4-5-1 to contain Barcelona and made life very difficult for them and Barca grew frustrated and seemed more content in keeping the ball and showboating than actually winning the game. While Celtic will keep it tight, we will have much more threat going forward with Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink and Scott McDonald both in decent form looking to get on the end of anything created by McGeady or Naka. You talk about Ronaldinho and Henry, both quality players but none have been firing on all cylinders this season and Ronaldinho will be lucky to start based on his recent performances. The one worry for Celtic would be defensively with Andreas Hinkel cup-tied youngster Paul Caddis could deputise in the Champions League who impressed at Kilmarnock earlier in the season. If Strachan opts for experience the reliable Paul Hartley could start at right back although Celtic would miss his drive and excellence in the holding role and central defender Gary Caldwell has also played right back in this competition. The McManus/Caldwell partnership has generally been solid in this competition although both are prone to errors domestically and against the threat of Messi and co will have to be on their guard. I think this will be a tight game and could see it ending in a draw which I'm sure Barcelona would be delighted with although the price of Celtic at 5(on Betfair) it is tempting and I think if we can get a goal which I expect us to Parkhead will be throbbing and European nights at that ground really are magical. Personally id go with 2pts on Celtic at 5.0 and 2pts on the draw at 3.5 which would leave a guranteed profit of at least 3 points. As for your last comment about not bothering to turn up at the Nou Camp, I think it might just be worth it considering we are unbeaten there, including our only Champions League away point in a 1-1 draw and a goalless draw which saw us knock Barcelona out of the UEFA Cup ;) Barcelona are capable of beating anyone on their day but I feel in light of our home record and Barca's mediocre away form you may want to re-think your staking as bet of the century seems a bit strong, personally I'd be surprised if we lose this one.

very optimistic lads ur bettin with ur hearts rather than ur heads.. barca will beat celtic hands down and are only team t beat em in europe i wudn read too much into that but with the quality on display henry eto'o messi ronaldinho iniesta the celts wont need to go t nou camp 4 2nd leg theyll be well beaten.. 3-1 t barca get on at 16s
I bet you said Man Utd would be Celtic aswell.:cow

very optimistic lads ur bettin with ur hearts rather than ur heads.. barca will beat celtic hands down and are only team t beat em in europe
Worth remembering that they've played Barca twice at home in recent times, and won once, lost once. So at the odds, with the home record, with the form, then I'd say Barca deserve to be favourites - but not odds on; you'll find that most serious punters on here look for value as much as they look for obvious winners, and opposing Barca here looks to be the value punt.

I bet you said Man Utd would be Celtic aswell.:cow
Here Here or should I say Hail Hail. I'm a more open minded United fan and I think Celtic have a huge chance on recent form. their domestic form has taken a surge at the right time. On the other hand there still appears to be an undercurrent of unrest at the Nou Camp. Watching Barca's game against Zaragoza at the weekend, although they had a large amount of pocession, Barca struggled to produce clear cut chances with only a dubious penalty saving them late in the day. They are far from the best team in Europe at the momment and given the "Hoops" home record, then Celtic on any sort of Asian handicap has to be a solid bet. Barca wont relish a trip to the home of the first team in britian to win the European cup.

Re: Champions League (Feb 20th) Going to go for correct scores in the Celtic game 0 - 0 1 - 0 1 - 1 I cannot see Barcelona coming away with a win as Celtics home record speaks for itself. They do have worries with injuries and suspensions however will be well pumped up for the biggest game of their season so far. Barcelona have struggled of late and although they welcome back some of their "superstars" were lucky to get a result last weekend. They will however be happy with a draw.

Surely Milan having Dida and Kalac out is only a good thing for them? 2 of the most ordinary goalkeepers I can even think of as the first choices at such a huge club like Milan.
davidmphill, I have to say that I fully agree with what you just wrote. JC

Re: Champions League (Feb 20th) Following up on yesterday's "line of thought", I'm betting on the draws again for Wednesday in the CL as at this stage (1/8 finals) the action is more "even" (teams have high quality and similar value) and teams tend to risk less as any away goal can make a difference in the qualification. Apart from the Arsenal-Milan game in all the others the better team, in theory, plays away which makes it even more tempting to pick the draws IMO. Arsenal-Milan Arsenal is having an incredible season despite the heavy loss away to MU last weekend. In the group stage they won all 3 home games and are surely looking forward to make it to the CL final this season. Milan didn't start the season very well. They're doing terrible for a team like them in the league and had a far from impressive group stage campaign. Tomorrow it is not certain if Milan can play with any of their regular keepers or if they have to use the 3rd choice one. Regardless of that, Milan is a highly experienced side (they were in the CL final 3 times in the last 5 seasons and are seeking a sixth successive quarter-final berth) and they usually start improving after the winter break every season. They know that a draw tomorrow will leave them in a very good position to advance and Italian teams like Milan surely know how to get it. My pick: draw; Celtic-Barcelona Celtic has an impressive home record in the European Competitions (they're just not nearly as good when playing away despite the tremendous support they always have from their fans) and I don't think they will take many risks against a team like Barça as they know that if they allow an away goal it could spoil everything. Barcelona is not having a good season at all and I think they'll be happy with a draw tomorrow (also taking little risks), thinking that on the return leg at Camp Nou they'll win the game against Celtic. My pick: draw; Lyon-M. United Lyon is not playing as well as in previous seasons but they're still a quality side which is not getting the credit they should IMO. They're very hard to beat at home (not so good when playing away) and apart from that 0-3 defeat against Glasgow Rangers they've been doing very well at home this season (10-2-1 record in their league and a draw against Barcelona and a win over Stuttgart in the group stage of the CL). MU have indeed a great team but they're only human and anyone can have a bad day. There's a lot of hype about the team specially after the 4-0 win over Arsenal last weekend but this is another day, another game and another competition. Everyone will agree that they're the favourites to qualify to the next round but MU is not as impressive when playing away. I expect a tight game. My pick: draw; Fenerbahce-Sevilla The Turkish side is one of the nice surprises of the group stage and they qualified with 3 home wins (over Inter Milan, PSV and CSKA) in 3 games. They have nice quality players, plus the atmosphere is great in Turkey and the supporters will play an important role. Sevilla is a better overall team and they've be getting very good results as of late with 3 wins in their last 4 league games with only 1 draw (1-1 at home against Barcelona). They look far from impressive to me at the back (allowed goals in all of their last 5 games) but are excellent upfront where they have many high quality options (scored in all of their last 5 games and a total of 11 goals!!!). I think they'll be happy with a draw tomorrow (maybe a 1-1 result). My pick: draw; Good luck! JC

Re: Champions League (Feb 20th) Looking pretty hard at Celtic-Barca UNDER 2 @ 2.35 Seems like a very good price considering Barca have not been able to score goals to well, I watch them every weekend domestically and for Unitednut saying Celtic are terrible :$ I have not been impressed by Barca at all, they have been pretty poor lately at least in terms of hitting the net (last 5 domestic games scoring 6 goals, 1 from the spot). This game for me has a pretty good chance of being 0-0. I wouldn't be shocked at all though if Celtic won this 1-0. :moon CELTIC +0.5 @ 2.00 Stakes 5/10 :hope CELTIC Str8 Wins @ 4.40 2/10 :hope UNDER 2 @ 2.35 Stakes 7/10 :hope With that said watch it be 2-1 Barca at HT :loon Also liking Man U, yes this is on the road and wouldnt be suprising for Lyon to get a result but I really feel like Man U will score a couple of goals, Lyon struggle in this competition just like Inter and they are still without long term injury Cris, Lyon's form has also been not so great in Ligue 1 lately. Obviously not a huge gap in class here but there certainly is one. Man U have a good shot at a narrow in IMO. And since I hate them so much if they do go down won't be so upset:clap Manchester UTD. -0.5 @ 2.30 Stakes 4/10 :hope GL To all! and hopefully we get some real good games tommrow, saw the Chelsea game today and it was a snoozer!

Re: Champions League (Feb 20th) I laid Barcelona at 1,94 at betfair earlier this week thinking odds would rise considering Celtics home record. Now odds for Barcelona are 1,90. This is my argumentation: Celtic home and away in Europe are two different teams. Celtic have an impressive home record in the Champions League. A lot of big teams have come to Scotland and left without winning. Barcelona clearly the stronger side and are more likely to go through to the next round. However, they just need to get a good result in Scotland. With these odds laying Barcelona is a good choice

Re: Champions League (Feb 20th) If barcalona go over 2 nearer kick off im backing them, celtic are in good form and are clearly good at home in the champions league but i think evens is good enough value for a side who are clearly superior in every department and face real opposition week in week out. Might put a saver on 1-1, see what kinda mood im in about it later. If barcas odds continue to sink I aint going near them. Has anyone got any info on milans third choice keeper? I heard kaka was out but he seems to be fit. AC will aim to keep it tight, everyone and their dog knows how arsenal like to play. Possibly play under 2.5 etc but not if 3rd choice goaly is terrible, never want to lose a bet because of a keeping error. Think man u are a bit skinny, they opened up arsenal at the weekend but arsenal looked completely aimless. Rooney got plaudits for his performance, yeh he scored a goal, but he also missed 5 or 6 good chances. Probably stay away from that one too Looks a lot trickier tonight.

Re: Champions League (Feb 20th) i agree with u zicko on the over 2.5 in arsenal match a keeper who has played twice in about 8yrs disaster 4 milan.. arsenal have a good home record this season and i think it will be 2 much 4 the ageing milan. i also fancy the over 45pts on the card index at bout 7/5