** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Champions League (Feb 19th)

Tuesday 19 February 2008Home Draw Away bookmakers margin on the event. However, they do not take account of commissions that may be charged.">BPP
Liverpool v Inter (19:45GMT) 2.843.203.00100% ITV1.gifDetails »
Hide « Liverpool v Inter
Olympiakos v Chelsea (19:45GMT) 4.803.402.02100% ITV4.gifDetails »
Hide « Olympiakos v Chelsea
Roma v Real Madrid (19:45GMT) 2.563.253.25101% Details »
Hide « Roma v Real Madrid
Schalke 04 v FC Porto (19:45GMT) 2.343.253.75100% Details »

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Champions League (Feb 19th) The Liverpool vs Inter tie is fascinating; I haven't seen Inter yet this season, but they are walking their domestic league, 11 points clear of Roma, unbeaten, and only dropped 10 points. Liverpool are in utter disarray; say what you want about Gerrard not starting against Barnsley, they should NOT be losing at home to a team like that with the side they put out. Of course, this is the Champions League, and Liverpool are the serial over-achievers to Inter's serial under-achievers. But I suspect that there is a serious gulf in class between these two teams. Will have to look into it more, but should Rafa get his team through it will be up with his best achievements at the club considering all the circumstances.

Re: Champions League (Feb 19th) Odds to Qualify for the Quarter Finals:

Tuesday 19 February 2008Team 1 Team 2 bookmakers margin on the event. However, they do not take account of commissions that may be charged.">BPP
Liverpool v Inter (19:45GMT)2.541.7297%ITV1.gifDetails »
Hide « Liverpool v Inter
Olympiakos v Chelsea (19:45GMT)5.501.21101%ITV4.gifDetails »
Hide « Olympiakos v Chelsea
Roma v Real Madrid (19:45GMT)2.751.57100%Details »
Hide « Roma v Real Madrid
Schalke 04 v FC Porto (19:45GMT)2.421.7598%Details »

Re: Champions League (Feb 19th) I think i will definitely be getting on Inter against Liverpool, as Inter have been fantastic this season. Will players like Ibrahimovic, Stankovic, Crespo, Figo and David Suazo getting on the scoresheet twice today i really feel it could be Inter Milan's year for Champions League glory. I also think Chelsea will be too strong for Olympiakos although the game could be in doubt after the Chelsea plane had to circle Athens for an hour due to high winds and heavy snow fall. If the game goes on i think Chelsea will have too much class against one of the lesser teams left in the cup. The Roma v Real Madrid and Schalke v Porto ties, i think, are too close to call, i won't be touching them but if i had to i would probably say Madrid and Porto too just edge it.

Re: Champions League (Feb 19th) Wow, these matches are truly all very hard to predict, if they wernt on the same day i would go for all draws, but now i am forced to think otherwise cos that is highly unlikely, I will go with the crowd and go for Inter Milan away at Liverpool at 19/10 because frankly, Liverpool are appauling at the moment! Olympiakos v's Chelsea is an interesting affair with fantastic value because to be honest, i cant see Chelsea winning here, Olympiakos had a fantastic result against Werder Bremen in the group stages here and with there crowd behind them the atmosphere at there home games is always very good, resulting in high player morale, but then again i cant see them winning either, so i am going to go with a goaless draw 0-0, although ther good be an either way 1-0, a definite under 2.5 match. Roma v's Real Madrid, another cracker, Roma doing very well this season and dito for Real Madrid, tempted to hit on a draw but i would shift towards Roma in a high scoring affair, perhaps 3-2, but a definite for over 2.5. Schalke v's Porto both very unpredictable teams, form of both teams is ok, i think neither will want too loose so another draw here, under 2.5 goals aswell, either a 0-0 or a 1-1 Thanks for reading!!!:hope

Re: Champions League (Feb 19th)

;1004075']Can easily see 3 goals in the Roma/Real match. Should be an absolute bueaty' date=' not to take anything away from the other matches. They'll all be great to watch.[/quote'] I am also on the Over, priced well at 2,00. Too much fire power upfront in both teams, almost every game for Roma in the CL went Over ( 1-1 vs an experimental Man U team though ). As of Real the things for them started going bad recently in La Liga, something I was expecting to happen earlier. I am not being a prophet, but with the defence they are having, losing two in the last 3, both away, to mediocre teams only proved my recent post here that Casillas taken out of that team means giving away the title. Spaletti is a great tactitian, I am sure that he has seen more than others and will have a clearly attacking formation. Will also double the Over here with the Over in Bordeaux. One thing statistically worries a bit - Roma recent home games in Calcio - all wins with 2-0 and 1-0... Good luck

Re: Champions League (Feb 19th) One of the reasons imo Inter were under-performing in CL was the lack of strong domestic competition in the last 2 seasons. The title was given to them by administration, while last year they had 4 big domestic games to play all season - vs Roma and Milan. ATM the team looks much better and the manager more mature. Defensively though they often look strange - vs Siena, Parma, Livorno...Buying Chivu was great, but selling Grosso was a mistake. On top of that I watched their game in Istanbul vs Fenerbahce, the hosts had at least 6-7 more goal-scoring situations to make that 1-0 win much more convincing, while Inter only looked dangerous on couple of occasions. In any case this match and the reverse game will show if Inter are finally becoming a force in Europe ( after decades ). It will also show if L'pool's domestic form is something completely different from Europe, something Benitez so far is excellent at. With the current form my pick would be Inter 0 at 2,075, but will wait on further opinions....

Re: Champions League (Feb 19th) I simply think that Benitez and his tactics are more suited towards the CL as there are a more variety of European teams to play. The EPL isn't an easy league to compete in and it is by far the biggest and most toughest leagues in Europe. I would think that Liverpool will beat Inter and will go through. The CL is all they have left, unless there's a second leg in the FA Cup. I still think that Inter have a bad coach, they have good players, but a bad coach. These titles they have one have been no competition titles. AC Milan and Juventus have had there own problems and haven't been at a competitive level yet.

Re: Champions League (Feb 19th) I'm gonna buck the trend here and go with a Liverpool win at juicy of odds of 2.84 (betfair). This is the only competition that Liverpool can still win this season, and let's be honest, it's pretty much what Rafa gears his whole season towards anyway. You can be rest assured that his best 11 will be playing, and that means a welcome return for Gerrard, Reina & Torres amongst others. Of the first team that were embarrassed by Barnsley at the weekend, I'm pretty sure their pride will be hurt, particularly after all the criticism they've received. Furthermore, let's not forget Liverpool probably had the better of the game against Chelsea last week, even without their main goal threat in Torres. Had Torres played, I think we could have well seen an end to that long unbeaten run at Stamford Bridge. I dunno what it is about European nights at Anfield, but the crowd really seem to get up for it (particularly in the later stages) and again I expect the crowd to create a deafening atmosphere. If Liverpool don't win this game, they'll have a very difficult task to go to Milan and get a result. They need to have a lead to take to the San Siro imo and they should have enough to take it by the odd goal. 5pts Liverpool @ 2.84 - Betfair

Re: Champions League (Feb 19th) Celtic v Barcelona Celtic will be without suspended midfielder Scott Brown and cup-tied full-back Andreas Hinkel. Paul Hartley could be asked to step into either position, while Barry Robson is pushing for his first start. Barcelona stars Samuel Eto'o, Lionel Messi, Ronaldinho and Thierry Henry are named together in a squad for only the second time this season. There are no places for Edmilson, Bojan Krkic or Gianluca Zambrotta, while Oleguer Presas is injured

Re: Champions League (Feb 19th) ROMA - Real Madrid spaletti will field a strong eleven for against Real madrid Daniele De Rossi has recovered and he is likely to feature on Tuesday night , Roma has no injury worries Meanwhile Real will be without several key players for their trip to the Italian capital. Pepe, Javier Saviola, Robinho, Christoph Metzelder, Marcelo and Wesley Sneijder are all out injured

Celtic v Barcelona Celtic will be without suspended midfielder Scott Brown and cup-tied full-back Andreas Hinkel. Paul Hartley could be asked to step into either position, while Barry Robson is pushing for his first start. Barcelona stars Samuel Eto'o, Lionel Messi, Ronaldinho and Thierry Henry are named together in a squad for only the second time this season. There are no places for Edmilson, Bojan Krkic or Gianluca Zambrotta, while Oleguer Presas is injured
Taken right from the BBC website, make your own reasoning up and some people may actually listen to you instead of stealing others! And in relation to this game I can really see us getting something here. 4.5 seems EXTREMELY large for the home win considering our home record in this competition not to mention the burst of good form we have hit in the last three domestic games ( winning 1-5, 1-5 and 3-0 ) sure these were results were not against teams with the caliber of Barcelona but we have played far better since the January transfer window. Will probably have further comments to make on the predicted outcome of this game closer to kick off but I think 4.5 is well over priced.

Go easy' date=' the post was only stating facts, not his opinion on the outcome!!!![/quote'] So "Celtic V Barcelona" doesnt mean he thinks Barcelona will win the game.? On this forum most people highlight their predicted winning team with bold letters......which led me to believe that he reckons Barcelona are going to win.....then he copied and pasted information from the BBC website onto his post, which can only be seen as backing up his initial prediction, by the looks of his posting (for a start posting the pick in the wrong thread) he does not seem to understand the whole idea of the punters lounge yet, so I chose to give him a bit of advice about his posts to hopefully make them more accepted and considered by fellow punters...... Really do hope this is up to your high standerds!!

Re: Champions League (Feb 19th) Schalke - Porto I find it hard to believe that the line for total goals in this one is 1,90 for Over 2 goals, and 2,53 for Over 2,5 and will certainly have a piece of it. Schalke have no injury worries, the home advantage of that massive crowd will be extra help, the Germans know they need a win and will go for it storming forward, hopefully looking for a 2-0 win. That would be an excellent scenario in any CL game at this stage. Guests though are capable of scoring everywhere, killer - counters are something I have often seen from them. It is Porto that will be starting the match trying to slow the game down, which could bring goals both ways - Schalke pushing hard for a good win, Porto on counters. Hosts do concede more often now, but so do Porto in big games. I am looking at both Over lines above, as well as both teams to score, number of cards over 4,5 and Porto + 0,25 as of their great experience in CL. Opinions?

Re: Champions League (Feb 19th) Schalke vs.Porto pick:[email protected] (expekt) Reasoning: Bad team vs.Good team.Bad form vs.good form. Schalke is bad and Porto is the good here! I think that the portuguese side can make a big vitory in Germany today by taking advantage of schalke's bad home form and lack of confidence.Low stake here as a draw is possible as well!:loon

Re: Champions League (Feb 19th) Liverpool vs.Inter Milan Pick:[email protected] (betfair) Reasoning: Isn't that an odd selection?Yes!Liverpool is going from bad to worse and Inter is a great team..But we must never forget that champions league is something else.Liverpool is a historical club with magnificent results in champions leaugue in the last years and Inter is the all-time euro-LOSER!Oh yes,that's a [email protected] at home is an offer I cant't deny!Medium stake:loon

Re: Champions League (Feb 19th) Here are some stats/facts from the last couple of 1/8 finals in the CL: 2007: 2-4-2 (home wins-draws-away wins) record in the 1st leg, 3 overs and 5 unders, 10 teams scored and 6 didn't; 2006: 2-3-3 (home wins-draws-away wins) record in the 1st leg, 4 overs and 4 unders, 13 teams scored and 3 didn't; So far this season in the CL we have: - 53% home wins; - 19% draws; - 28% away wins; I look at tuesdays' games and see them all very, very tight ones. Also, I'll be betting that the draw % will move a bit towards what's "normal" in football/soccer (somewhere around the 25% to 30% range) and if it goes similar to the last couple of seasons when we come to this stage in the CL (where games have in general a lot more balanced action) a high % of draws is very possible. Liverpool-Inter Milan Liverpool will be looking at showing some pride tomorrow after that horrible weekend home loss and this is actually the only competition they can still win this season. We also need to keep in mind that this team was in the CL final twice in the last 3 seasons... Inter started their CL campaign with a loss away to Fenerbahçe but after that they won all other 5 group G games. They're also having a great home season and have a very experienced and high quality team. Inter won't be taking many risks tomorrow and they can surely create danger when they attack. My pick: draw; Schalke-Porto Porto is a better overall team than Schalke and they have a lot more experience at this level. I see them (Porto) as the favorites for this round against the Germans but the game won't be easy in Germany where the stadium will be packed providing a boost for Schalke. I think Porto's coach will have his team playing for the draw tomorrow and will be happy with itin the away game. My pick: draw; Olympiakos-Chelsea Chelsea is clearly the favorite here but if they're travelling to Greece underestimating Olympiakos they might have a bitter surprise. 1st of all there will certainly be a great atmosphere at the stadium. Also, during the Group stage and at home, the Greeks beat Bremen 3-0 and tied against Real Madrid and Lazio. I also watched them playing away against Bremen and Real Madrid and they did impress me. Very good price (3.35) for the draw pick IMO. My pick: draw; Roma-R. Madrid Always hard for any team to play away against Roma but Real Madrid are a better team despite some absences (Robinho, Pepe...) for tomorrow. I think both teams need improvement at the back (Roma allowed goals in 4 out of 6 matches in the group stage and Real allowed goals in 5 of their 6 group games) and don't look consistent (Real wins 7-0 and the next weekend loses 2-1 against lowly Betis and Roma lost 3-0 away to Siena a few weeks ago). Should be an interesting game tomorrow but I think the draw is very likely and Real will be pleased with it. My pick: draw; Good luck! JC

Liverpool vs.Inter Milan Pick:[email protected] (betfair) Reasoning: Isn't that an odd selection?Yes!Liverpool is going from bad to worse and Inter is a great team..But we must never forget that champions league is something else.Liverpool is a historical club with magnificent results in champions leaugue in the last years and Inter is the all-time euro-LOSER!Oh yes,that's a [email protected] at home is an offer I cant't deny!Medium stake:loon
You must take factors such as a collective dip in form, confidence and belief of the Liverpool squad into account. Rising to the challenge of beating Inter is a huge ask of a team and had no killer edge against Barnsley. Whilst I do agree that Liverpool are set up for Europe, they are way way off the pace of the Premiership and have little or no momentum. It's asking alot for a victory here.

Re: Champions League (Feb 19th) NO ADVERTS PLEASE _ CONSIDER YOURSELF WARNED

I was studying the games for tomorrow and at first sight I didnt saw anything great. So I started looking at some more uncommom bets, and I have this to offer. So, lets see... Here we have Schalke playing home against Porto. Schalke is a good home team, with lots of supporters behind them. They will play in a 4-4-2 and will try to control the game. On the other hand Porto will be in 4-3-3, and will be happy to stay behind and solve the business in Portugal. First point then, Porto will give the game control to Schalke and try to counter attack. Its commom sense that the teams that play in counter attack usually have more offsides. And Porto will have 3 fast players in the attack. Quaresma, Tarik and Lisandro are not the kind of players to be stick in a position, and Porto should take advantage of their speed. But looking other way, they are fast but not used to be the last man in attack, so they can easily get caught offside. On the other side, Schalke will have Asamoah and Kuranyi. They are two fine strikers, but they are positional, big and a bit slow players that want to be sit and quiet in the area expecting the crosses of their wingers. Thats why Schalke has lots of corners in their matches. Point two is that Bosingwa wont play. So Porto\'s defence will have a change and I see it going two ways. Or Porto didnt try the in line defence and then the offsides will be less, or Porto try it and some plays can be wrong for them. Anyway, less offsides to Schalke. To finish Schalke had less corners in the groups stage of Champions League in all games expect away against Chelsea, what is easy to see why, and Porto had almost everytime more offsides than their oponnents, exception was at home against Marseille, what isnt hard to understand too. So knowing all this a 2.70 odd? I can lose but I LOVE IT... Sport: Football Pick: Porto to have more offsides Odds: 2.70 Stake: 6/10 Bookie: Unibet

Re: Champions League (Feb 19th) I've just had a little bet on Lampard as anytime scorer at 4/1 with Coral. I have already put a bigger bet on under 2.5 in that game, but if Chelsea do score, then Lamps is a very likely source as main free-kick and penalty taker, and will be buzzing after his impressive performance at the weekend (even if it was only against Huddersfield!). The fact is that 2 goals and an assist must give him confidence. 4/1 seems huge, even away from home, and most bookies are hovering around 2/1, some as short as 7/4. 4/1 sticks out like a sore thumb. Far from a certainty, but certainly a value bet.

Re: Champions League (Feb 19th) Two very strong unders imo, in Olympiakos vs Chelsea and Liverpool vs Inter. In both cases the stronger team, in theory anyway, is the away side. Chelsea have an incredible unders record this season, and Olympiakos is a tough place to visit; I suspect that they will be happy enough to just keep it very, very tight, and a 0-0 or 1-0 either way would not surprise me at all. Olympiakos have gone under in 54% of home league games, Chelsea in 84% of away games. And then Liverpool vs Inter. This is Liverpool's last chance of silverware, and despite their general cackiness recently Benitez is a master tactician in these game. In the league, Inter have been unders in 72% of away games, while Liverpool have been unders in 50%. But the importance of not conceding the away goal here will, I expect, keep this a very tight affair. Short odds for either, but a double would pay 2.56 with Partybets.

Re: Champions League (Feb 19th) First to mention, all these 4 matches involves very high risk, which are very unpredictable, which may even have 4 draws on the cards. ROMA 2-1 Real Madrid I agree with everyone that this game has a 80% for the over 2.5 goals. Roma has not been convincing recently and Madrid has been blowing hot and cold. With Sneijder and Robinho not playing for the game, it may not seem the best midfield for Madrid. I believe Spalleti will be able tactically plot and bring out the best out of Totti and have a slender lead in the first leg. Liverpool 2-0 Inter Milan One of the sentimental matches for fans of Liverpool. Kicked out by Barnsley and not performing up to standards in the EPL, with the only way to glory thru the CL. Liverpool has not been performing well of late but Benitez prove that his tactics always work in the CL. If he doesnt go into the Qfinals, he may have to go the recruitment centre and find another job. Gerrand, Torres, Mascherano, Reina are back for the team. And i have one controversial theory. When everyone expects Liverpool to perform, they underachieve. But if everyone believes Liverpool to lose and fade away, they ALWAYS do come back. Just a bit like the England team. This will be one their comeback matches :> just an intuition. Schalke 04 1-1 Porto I really want the German team to win. but Porto has been great this season. This is the match where the draw appears to be the most eminent. Home ground really counts with the Germans blasting their team. It can be great for Schalke04 or may even be stressful for the team. I believe Porto will just sit and wait for an opportunity to counterattack. I think it is better to avoid this match completely. 1X Olympiakos 0-0 Chelsea I have to admit Chelsea has been a great team to place your bets on. Very dependable and trustworthy to win matches. But this match seems really unpredictable. The Home team holds a wonderful home record and the Greeks could really post an upset. Chelsea will have their whole squad back. Chelsea to win? Greeks to post an upset? Lets just settle for a draw. X2

Liverpool 2-0 Inter Milan One of the sentimental matches for fans of Liverpool. Kicked out by Barnsley and not performing up to standards in the EPL, with the only way to glory thru the CL. Liverpool has not been performing well of late but Benitez prove that his tactics always work in the CL. If he doesnt go into the Qfinals, he may have to go the recruitment centre and find another job. Gerrand, Torres, Mascherano, Reina are back for the team. And i have one controversial theory. When everyone expects Liverpool to perform, they underachieve. But if everyone believes Liverpool to lose and fade away, they ALWAYS do come back. Just a bit like the England team. This will be one their comeback matches :> just an intuition.
With you on that Mr C. I think also that it's sometimes more difficult for a team to "adapt downwards" for cup ties like the Barnsley one than it is to get a quality squad playing at their maximum capacity for a game like this.....there will be also be the famous Anfield European night atmosphere which will be more charged for this event than was the case last Saturday. Liverpool to win currently 2.74 on Betfair also interestingly Betfair have priced your 2-0 prediction at what is a lumpy 16.5 (I would guess this would be about 8-1 in the offices, but I may be wrong). the 0-0 is favourite, which probably tells the story.

Liverpool-Inter Milan My pick: draw; Schalke-Porto My pick: draw; Olympiakos-Chelsea My pick: draw; Roma-Real My pick: draw; Good luck! JC
;) I can see you are doing O.K. in the ice hockey leagues, JC.... 4 DRAWS? At this level? Why not? At the general odds for a draw 3,20-3,40 you need 2 out of 4 to make it a winning night, so your logic is a rock! In each one of today's games the visitor's are the better team on paper, none of them would mind going home with a draw, preferably a scoring one.... The stats though you are quoting on top of your post are misleading, as every year it is different teams with different attitude,players, managers. Hope you remember well a CL round back in fall - one Tuesday 7/8 Overs, on Wednesday 6/8 Overs - so many goals leaked by the Europe's best teams. Not saying stats don't matter, but current form first imo.. Certainly Porto and Inter know well how to play an away game for a draw, and Chelsea are excellent at the back. As of Roma if it is a draw then a just hope it is the result Real got here with Lazio - this Over is crucial for my day.. Good luck

Re: Champions League (Feb 19th) Olympiacos-Chelsea Pick:[email protected] (betdaq) Reasoning: Today is a very important day for Olympiacos. They 've done great so far in the champion's league and want to go further.But, against Chelsea,things get difficult.Latest news say that Olympiacos will play with 3 defensive midfielders,will try to keep it a tight game and somehow score a goal with Darko Kovacevic and beat Chelsea.But things won't be easy!Chelsea is in top of the game with high quality players like Ballack,Essien,Drogba and Joe Cole who can beat Olympiaco's clampsy defenders.Tonight Olympiaco's display of power and passion will clash with Chelsea's technique and quality.I pick the second in a more than a fair [email protected]!:loon P.S:A great bet would be Chelsea to win by one goal,as well!It could be found at 3.4 in partybets,i think!I agree with most of the guys here,very tight games tonight and a lot of under2.5 into them.

Re: Champions League (Feb 19th) Firstly im new t all this but ive got a few what i call "BANKERS":loon chelsea away in greece will be no problem olympiakos havent got the minerals to put it up to chelsea who i think will win comfortably 2-0 drogba and anelka to shine im on wright phillips anytime scorer if he starts well have to wait till later to see.. inter and pool shud be a good game but il just have to lean towards inter, liverpool have it all to play 4 now and theyll need a result to bring to italy cant see it happenin to be honest also get on ibrahimovic to score anytime (7pts) Arsenal and milan is a dodgy 1 even tho im a UTD fan:tongue2 i regret sayin this but i think the ******* arsenal will see off milan with adebayor to grab a goal and their star man fabregas to shine on the big stage. And my bet off the century surely has to be Barca to beat the terrible terrible celtic who are goin nowhere in scotland or champ league id be tempted to give celts a 2 goal lead and let the cash come rollin in.. Chelsea to beat olympiakos 8/10 Inter to beat pool 6/10 Arsenal to beat milan 8/10 Barca to beat terrible celtic 10/10 GET ON :hope:gimme