** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Tennis 31st - 6th

Re: Tennis 31st - 6th

EventKristof Vliegen vs Marc Gicquel
SelectionKristof Vliegen
Strength10/10
Date01/01/2008
Bookmaker/Price>Bet365 @ 2.20 (Back)
ReasoningVliegen had a disaster year in 2006 but has done good here in the past, QF 2005 and SF last year so he might see an opportunity to start the year with some optimism while Gicqule aint getting younger or better.
EventAgustin Calleri vs Tommy Robredo
SelectionAgustin Calleri
Strength10/10
Date01/01/2008
Bookmaker/PricePinnacle Sports @ 2.76 (Back)
ReasoningWell, Im tired of Robredo robbing me outside the clay courts so this year I'll try to oppose him in some matches he doesnt have too big advantage, even if his opponent is an idiot like Calleri.
EventErnest Gulbis vs Andrey Golubev
SelectionErnest Gulbis
Strength10/10
Date01/01/2008
Bookmaker/PricePinnacle Sports @ 1.52 (Back)
ReasoningThese times last year both players were at the same level but since then Gulbis has improved with Challenger wins and breakthrough on the ATP tour so he seems like at least one level above his opponent.
EventFrank Dancevic vs Simone Bolelli
SelectionFrank Dancevic
Strength10/10
Date01/01/2008
Bookmaker/PriceExpekt @ 1.65 (Back)
ReasoningIf Dancevic can put up a good serve and execute succesfull rushes on the net he should take the egde out of Bolellis flashy and risky play.
EventAlejandro Falla vs Jose Acasuso
SelectionAlejandro Falla
Strength10/10
Date01/01/2008
Bookmaker/PriceBlue Square @ 2.00 (Back)
ReasoningJose Acasuso has really suspect moving when it gets to faster surfaces and he will face some troubles against Fallas quick leftie serves.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Tennis 31st - 6th Going to have a little nibble today, this time taking something pre match. Lay Pavel @ 1.8 against Schuettler. Really can't make Pavel the fav, and at worst call this 50/50. Schuettler finished off last year well, having a solid run in Asia and finishing off winning a challenger in Kuala Lumpar comfortably. I've heard he's been training hard over the winter, and has a decent record in this tournament. He's asked for a wildcard here, and I normally find those guys motivated (didn't work with Mirnyi yesterday). Pavel keeps plying decent stuff on the circuit, and ended last season with lower back problems in mid November so not sure about his prep work for the new season. Goingto take Schuettler pre match and see how it develops, might lay off if the first set goes well.

Re: Tennis 31st - 6th 1.85?...thats insane low for a clown like Calleri IMO...lol 43% first serves....2nd serves won: 6 of 16 (38%) If he doesnt improve either his first serve % or 2nd serves Robredo will eat him if he starts to focus. Good call on Schlutter by the way...

1.85?...thats insane low for a clown like Calleri IMO...lol 43% first serves....2nd serves won: 6 of 16 (38%) If he doesnt improve either his first serve % or 2nd serves Robredo will eat him if he starts to focus. Good call on Schlutter by the way...
Cheers:ok He was 1.85 because he was hitting winners from everywhere and already a break up. Drifted between 1.8 and 1.95 for most of the set and was around 1.6 at the end of the set.

EventMichael Russell vs Benjamin Becker
SelectionMichael Russell
Strength10/10
Date01/01/2008
Bookmaker/PriceCentrebet @ 1.83 (Back)
ReasoningBenjamin Becker won an inconvincing match vs the unknown Australian Robert Smeets despite losing the first set. He managed to turn around things for a 3-6, 6-4, 6-2 win that was much because of Smeets lack of experience because Becker was a little bit shaky on the serves as he only posted 48% first serves. Though he managed to win most of the points behind his first serve. Russell will be much harder task for him as he is a better returner and more experienced then Smeets as he proved when he broke down Del Potro and his service, winning 50% of the points on Del Potros serves and he has beaten Becker before and other hard serving types. Im not confident that Becker has just yet left his poor form from last year so I oppose him once more this week
EventMarina Erakovic vs Ashley Harkleroad
SelectionAshley Harkleroad
Strength10/10
Date01/01/2008
Bookmaker/PricePinnacle Sports @ 1.55 (Back)
ReasoningAshley Harkleroad had a nice, self-boosting suprise win over french lady Loit much thanx to her better ability to take advantage of her break opportunities compare to Loit. Harkleroad took 6 of 7 breakballs while Loit only took 3 of 7. I dont know much about Erakovic but Harkleroad seems to be the better player in most aspects and with her suprise win she should have enough confidence to take out her opponent.
EventEvgeny Korolev vs Michael Llodra
SelectionMichael Llodra
Strength10/10
Date02/01/2008
Bookmaker/PricePinnacle Sports @ 1.91 (Back)
ReasoningEvgeny Korolev has got a great forehand, powerfull like a cannon waiting to blast his opponents of the court, but thats all he has. Beside lack of any other powers he isnt realy any stable type that you can trust so if Llodra can keep his nerves like steel all he has to do is to wait for Korolev to make unforced errors, that will say if the double champion can keep his low.
EventChris Guccione vs Paul-Henri Mathieu
SelectionChris Guccione
Strength10/10
Date02/01/2008
Bookmaker/Price>Paddy Power @ 3.25 (Back)
ReasoningChris Guccione had an excellent start of last season and he reach the finals here in Adelaide learning players like Nadal a trick or two when it comes to excellent serving. But then he got injured and the rest of his season was spoiled but he seems to be back yet again after a good display vs the qualifier Odensik winning 88% of the points behind his first serve and blastin 23 aces. Mathiue did what he was expected to do vs Benneteau but his serving was dissapointing at only 50% first serves and he dropped his serve three times and won mnostly because of good return on Benneteaus weak serve, specially his 2nd serves are too weak, almost pathetic sometimes. If Gucci can come up to his great level of serving Mathiue will have much harder time returning and he keeps on serving as bad as last match he could face troubles

Not very much value in the matches tbh.
Calleri v Robredo
This is a tricky match for Robredo to start the year, but I think he will cope as he is the more consistent of the two players. Calleri is very inconsistent on the other hand, and youi never know what to expect from him - e.g US Open 2007, sublime 4 set win over Hewitt, then a tame straight sets loss against Monaco. I think that Robredo (Robredo - Best priced 1.50 @ Skybet) can take care of Calleri here. :sad Cilic v Troicki Troicki had a good Umag competition last year where he beat his compatriot Novak Djokovic on the way to a Semi Final appearance, but other than that hje did not make a impression on the main tour. As for Cillic, he started to make some progress and can start the season off well with a moral boosting win here. (Cilic - Best price 1.57 @ Boylesports) :clap Seppi v Santoro Fabrice Santoro is very muchy a veteran, but is always fit to take on anyone. He is still ranked inside the top 50 at the age of 35, and doesn't look to be fading away as of yet. I think he can easily beat 23 year old Seppi, who would prefer to be playing on Clay, but did start to show some hard form in Vienna towards the end of the year. But, I tink Santoro's expierince will be enough to get him over the line. (Santoro - Best priced 1.80 @ Partybets) :clap Johansson v Andreev I think Andreev is a very talented player who can play amazing, but he never really sustain this form and can play absolutly horrible on other days. I never have seen him play too well on hard courts, so I am backing the consistent and expierienced Swede to defeat him here. H2H is 1-0 in favour of Johansson and I think he can improve upon this record tomorrow, reason being the surface more than anything. (Johansson - Best priced 2.32 @ Partybets) :clap
3/4 for the 1st rounds. Andreev fell apart, was watching a bit of the match and he was having an absolute shocker, he just couldn't deal with the bounce of the surface. As for Robredo, he once again let me down as he always seems to do. Cilic squeezed through a tight 3 setter and Santoro showed why he is still playing at the age of 35, winning in 3.

Re: Tennis 31st - 6th For the next few matches, few outsiders :hope... Gulbis vs Tsonga Pick: Gulbis @ 2.38 I can see this being a very tight match myself, but I'm sure that Gulbis will be able to pull through. He is one of my tournament picks and I am putting full faith in his early season fitness and form to see off Tsonga. Tsonga will play a mainly serve and volley match, but I feel that with both being strong servers, there will be only a few points in it, ones which the youngsters can win. Dancevic vs Nieminen Pick: Dancevic @ 2.50 Dancevic is a very talented player and started to show what he can do last year when he started taking down some of the bigger names in the US hard court season. As for Nieminen his consistency to perform at a high level is questionable and I think he could turn up as the amazing tennis player he is or the lame tennis player he sometimes can be. The clever money will be on a fighting Dancevic. Zverev vs Spadea Pick: Spadea @ 2.00 I think this is another tight match to call, but Spadea shouldn't be the outsider so should be backed after a good win against Sebastian Grosjean. I havent really seen much of Zverev, so I cannot comment on how he will play or how good of a player he is, so I am just trusting that Spadea will perform as everyone knows he can with his prolific serving. Lee vs Calleri Pick: Lee @ 2.10 Mr Consistent vs Mr Inconsistent, H.T Lee is often underestimated, but I think he is a tidy player who is always in with a chance of winning a match whether its against the world number 1 or the world number 101. To make Calleri the favourite after a win against the choking Robredo is stupid and I am tipping Lee for the win here as he is more than capable, and likely, to take it.

Tip Detail
SportTennis
EventNa Li - Adamczak
SelectionNa Li
Strength10/10
Date01/01/2008
Bookmaker/Price>Betfair @ 1.22 (Back)
ReasoningCrappy odds but I believe that this bet should be an easy one.Adamczak is just average player and she is playing mainly in challengers.She won against Vesnina but looking at the stats from that match I think that Vesnina was just poor.Na Li had nice come back against Bammer and when this Chinese girl is healthy and fully fit she is jst great player.This is beginning of the new season so nothing more to say really.I just rate Na Li as a much better player here.

Re: Tennis 31st - 6th Hi guys, starting the new 2008 season with several ATP picks: ATP TOUR, DOHA KIEFER TO D TURSUNOV @ 1.75 at expekt Kiefer has more consistency and variety plus the 2:0 H2H record. ATP TOUR, CHENNAI MELZER TO D MALISSE @ 2.52 at pinnacle Melzer s a tricky player with enough skills to make it a 50/50 match @ 2.5 odds. ATP TOUR, CHENNAI GARCIA-LOPEZ TO D ESCHAUER @ 1.62 at pinnacle Eschauer, who has most of his successes on clay, is simply a level under Garcia-Lopez while playing a very similar game. ATP TOUR, ADELAIDE NIEMINEN TO D DANCEVIC @ 1.5 at bet365 Nieminen who is a left-hander will match well Dancevic's left-handed serve. 3:0 H2H record to Nieminen to prove that.

Re: Tennis 31st - 6th Mathieu took care of business comfortably:ok Now I like Ljubicic as a bit of a banker @ 1.32. I thought he was excellent yesterday, his movement and groudies looked to be a lot better than what we saw last year. Tipsarevic is dangerous, but was poor yesterday against Ventura and I think Ljubicic can come through without many problems.

Re: Tennis 31st - 6th ATP Doha - Christophe Rochus v Stanislas Wawrinka Christophe Rochus (29 years, 194th world) created a big surprise yesterday by beating the Croatian giant Karlovic (22nd world). By no means impressed the Belgian gave a lesson of realism: 2 break points converted on 3 while he granted nobody on his service on 4 possibilities. Very solid throughout the game he won 7-6 6-2. Having 38th world in 2006 his results did not follow what made him fallen in the classification. He starts 2008 with a lot of coolness and ambition. He qualified itself to Doha by beating Wassen, Cermak and Moodie. He did not still lose a set here. Stanislas Wawrinka (22 years, 36th world) is a big hope of the world tennis. Contrary to the Belgian he played a lot at the end of 2007. He had very good results but I think that he could be less fresh. The Swiss is widely favourite on this match nevertheless I think that there is a place for Rochus. At this beginning of season certain players are less well prepared than the others and the surprises are numerous. Wawrinka is known to be weak psychologically, he deprives fast and little to lose his means without reason. Rochus could take advantage of it. To note that the Swiss has negative balance sheets in front of Olivier Rochus and Fabrice Santoro which have a style of play close to Christophe Rochus: little powerful they are very very strategically. Christophe Rochus@ 4.92 at BetandWin

Re: Tennis 31st - 6th I'm now looking at Tursunov @ 2.32 against Kiefer which seems very reasonable. H2H is 2-0 to Kiefer but one was a long time ago and the other was a bit of a weird situation, with Kiefer coming from a week off because of injury and Tursunov coming off a week off after winning Indianapolis. Both had straightforward wins in the first round, but I'm a little concerned about Kiefers fitness: he was struggling with an ankle problem before the tournament and although he came through the match fine it's hard to know how the body will react the day after. Anyway, this should be a close game, both able to hold serve a lot, and it's just who can string points together to get the break. I'm starting off with a play on Tursunov, see how it develops.

EventHyung-Taik Lee vs Agustin Calleri
SelectionAgustin Calleri
Strength10/10
Date02/01/2008
Bookmaker/PricePinnacle Sports @ 1.80 (Back)
ReasoningCalleris big hitting style of play got him past thru Robredo even though he didnt post a good 1st serve %. Lee is a great conter-puncher and will look to extend the duells so that he will get more unforced errors out of Calleri but he sometimes tend to have troubles with big hitting players so Calleri shouldnt have much troubles only if he can post a healty 1st serve %.

Re: Tennis 31st - 6th Mr Intensity do you know a site where i can follow tennis on scorebord or something like that. I find Livescore.com rather slow. Thx in advance, was to late to follow you with Tursunov:cry Kiefer also withdrew before the game started? I see now Tursunov is through and their is no score near their names. That's 2 times ulucky for u , in a couple of hours .

Mr Intensity where can I follow your picks?
You can't really mate:unsure. Most of the stuff I do is just before the match or during the match and will be posted in the weekly tennis thread. But I'll be around during most of all the "tennis day" including most nights during the Aussie Open.

Re: Tennis 31st - 6th Well that didn't go well. Still, a pretty good day with Mathieu earlier on. Going to watch Santoro v Davydenko. Santoro says that he hates playing Davydenko, but I'm feeling that maybe he can do alright, at least in the first set like he did at the Aussie Open last year. Small lay Davydenko @ 1.17 see how it starts.

Re: Tennis 31st - 6th Lovro Zovko v Robin Haase Robin Haase (20 years, 114th) created a small sensation by beating Marcos Baghdatis (16th world). It is necessary to say that young Dutch has quite a lot of talent. Last year he had beaten the players as Berdych or Calleri. But he remains still very irregular. He has finishes the season with defeats against Kamke 210th, Kapkovic 332nd, Chardy 192nd or Echagaray 160th. His victory on the Cyprian is to be put in perspective because this one showed itself very passive. Thus when I see in front of him a highly-rated player has 4 I wonder. Lovro Zovko (26 years, 759th) fell in the classification since 2003 when he was 151th but he begins very hardly the year: he has just beaten Thierry Ascione 94th 6-4 6-0. In qualifications he had spread among others Pless 129th. He thus has victories in legs and confidence. This surface is well convenient for this big strapping lad who slams about fifteen of aces by match. Nothing insuperable thus for the Croatian which has to see a beautiful opportunity there to qualify itself for the quarterfinals. Lovro Zovko @ 4 at Ladbrokes