** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Euro 2004 play-offs

Guest zero79

Guest MC Roller

Re: HOLLAND

I mean he wasn't exactly brilliant at Rangers in a two horse race was he?
What do you mean two horse race. I would have called it a three horse race but Aberdeen have been underperforming for many years now. I think a return to form isn't far off now, we just need to get rid of those old firm refs we seem to get week in week out. :lol

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Da Hannanah

Re: Euro 2004 play-offs Actually, Advocaat is right - they cannot play together. They are much better of playing one of them with either van der Vaart or Makaay. Personally, I would chose Pierre van Hoijdonk ahead of both Kluivert and van Horsenstein, but he simply cannot put Kluiv ert on the bench as he is a Dutch hero - record goal scorer and all.

• 3 weeks later...

Re: Euro 2004 play-offs OK I'm going to put my neck on the block and predict Scotland to go through over the two legs. I think the first match at Hampden will be a draw 0 - 0. The dutch will be quite happy with this and Scotland won't be too upset either. I think Berti Vogts will be concentrating on Scotland not to lose at Hampden. This will then suit their (and Vogts) "pickpocket" mentality to nick a result over in Holland either 1 - 0 or even on penalties. Having got a result in Scotland the dutch will be thinking the job is done in the return match and will probably be overconfident .... Might sound far-fetched but psychologically it's a strong approach for Scotland.

Guest highlander

scotland to qualify? I think your looking at this match through rose-tinted glasses (or maybe half-full whiskey glasses!!). scotland have little chance i'm afraid. having said that, I also have a feelng about the 0-0 in the first leg....but only if the dutch don't turn up :D

Re: scotland to qualify? I'd be absolutely amazed if Scotland can keep a clean sheet. I honestly don't think our defence is up to it. Much as I hate to say it, I think our only chance is to employ the same tactics as Hearts at Bordeaux as Holland are so superior we can't rely on them simply playing shite and hoping for the best (God, I really hate saying that :( ). We're going to have to swamp midfield and defence and try and catch the fckers on the break (sob). We're gonna need tons of luck too. And I'm a bloody optimist! :( If Crawford is in he's gonna have to get the finger out as he's been the weak link in the side the last few games imo. He can't seem to keep possession at all. Sort it Stevie. ;) Here's hoping........... Bah! I hate being so negative. 2-1 to the Scots then. Woooo haaaaa! :D

Russia v Wales; more interesting stats In every one of Russia's last 9 Home games, their first goal came under 30 mins. In over half of their last 9 aways, their first goal came after 70 mins. conclusion: everyone open a Spread Betting Account immediately and sell the time of Russia's 1st goal in the first leg, and buy the time of Russia's first goal in the away leg. Or else do it on Betfair...

Croatia Is there anyone who can give me a good reason why not backing the Croatians at home against Slovenia??? With an excellent price around 1.6 at most bookies this looks a great bet to me : If Croatia is able to defeat Belgium and Bulgaria at home they should be able to beat a team with less quality then those two easily...

Guest crowie1969

Re: Croatia Scotland v Holland When the draw was first made I thought "Ahh, sh!te!" - were emptied here. But then as is usual with me and Scotland I start to build up hope. I look at the Dutch squad and compare them with ours and hope that Van Der Vaart forgets to turn up for the game but then I wonder who Oooiijjerr is and think Van Der Sar is just a lanky big streak of pish and he's sold the pies for Fulham and maybe just maybe..... At the moment I am thinking about a draw, maybe. It would be wise to discount everything I say after today (if you don't do so already;) ) as I am now starting to lean over towards jam packed Hampden, big noise, big effort maybe sneak a 1 goal win and I am starting to feel really "up for it". Come 10am Sat morning I will be on the way to the pub, popping into the bookies and filling out 2-0/3-0 correct score bets for Scotland as I will be truely convinced were getting a result today. Come 2.30pm on Saturday afternoon I will be on my way to the game, popping into the bookies and filling in 4-0/5-0 Scotland scorecast bets with the Cheeky Boy getting the first one. This is what alcohol and a good sing song in the pub does to you:lol Come 5pm, I don't think I will be collecting any money from the bookies. Seriously wouldn't surprise me to see these two games following the same pattern as the Germany games. They score first at Hampden, we equalise, final score 1-1. 2nd leg they go 2-0 up and we sneak one back but never look like getting the equaliser. Ohh and our players kick fcuk out of them in both legs, possibly a sending off - just to keep Da Han happy;)

Guest JACKLESTER

early pick :b :b :b :b :b (wednesday) Bit early, but I couldn't help noticing Russia are at 8/13@bet365. I would expect this price to drop as most other bookies have them at around 1/2, and Ladbrokes are 4/9. Wales are without Bellamy and Davies(definately), pembridge is doubtful, while Savage has been suffering from hamstring problems lately so may not be fully fit. Russia on the other hand have won all four of their qualifiers at home, playing (half)decent teams such as Switzerland and Ireland. After a dodgy start to the campaign the Russians have found some form over recent months, Wales, on the other hand haven't been getting results recently. It would be cool if Wales could get through, but I think they'll lose the first leg.

more Russia bets gonna have a few sneaky scorer bets too: :) first scorer: Boulykin @ 11.00, to score any time @ 3.75 scorecasts: Boulykin 3-1 @ 91.00 Boulykin 4-1 @ 176.00 Sychev & 3-1 @ 41.00 Sychev & 4-1 @ 81.00 Hartson & Russia 2-1 @ 81.00 Hartson & Russia 3-1 @ 131.00 Hartson & Russia 4-1 @ 261.00 Giggs & Russia 2-1 @ 106.00 Giggs & Russia 3-1 @ 176.00 Giggs & Russia 4-1 @ 351.00 (all from Bet365) Russia's last 4 home games produced at least 4 goals a game, with the away team scoring first in the last 2. Wales leaked goals away against Italy and Serbia, and they're even weaker in defence this weekend. Boulykin has scored in Russia's last 2 games.

Re: more Russia bets Russia look absoltely terrific at 8/13, Coral are making a big mistake BTW if any of you can get to a shop Corals still have 4/6 on coupon. Russia are absolute machines at home and its very hard to see Wales defence and midfield coping with Titov, Mostovoi, Karpin, Sytchev and Bulykin. 3-0 IMO.

Russia v Wales I'm not as optimistic as you guys are about Russia - if anything, Croatia(which is already as inconsistent a side as you could find) would definitely make a much better bet than Russia IMO. :p I wouldn't even touch the Russians at 8/11, nevermind anything less - their results may have been impressive at home but their performances have not been all that impressive if truth be told. Let's face it, they're no world beaters and if they were anything decent, they should have taken the automatic spot at a canter considering their group comprised of 2 minnows in the form of Albania and Georgia, an out-of-sorts Ireland and perhaps, the surprise package of the group, Switzerland. Their defence is clearly not up-to-scratch either - if they're conceding goals at the rate they did in their group given the quality of their opponents, god knows how many they'll be shipping in Portugal(if they qualify! :lol ). If anything, I see the mounting injury crisis in the Welsh camp as perhaps, the only silver lining in what's an otheriwse pretty dark cloud. :b Wales, on the other hand, performed credibly in a group comprising of a world-class side in Italy, 2 fairly mediocre sides(which would be no worse than any of Russia's opponents IMO) in Serbia & Montenegro and Finland and minnows Azerbaijan. I certainly won't be as surprised as some of you're should Wales get a decent result in Moscow - Matt, I certainly can't see a 3-0 scoreline! In essence, I believe this playoff is a 50-50 chance for both sides. Quite clearly, the inconsistency of the Russians does not make them remotely attractive at 1.44 to qualify - my money's on Wales here and should they get a score draw(or better) in Moscow, then I think I'd have every reason to believe they'd be on their way to Portugal next summer. ;)

Guest JACKLESTER

wales :rollin Just going on recent form, the Russians seem to be revitalised after losing silly points against Albania and Georgia. The welsh did beat the Italians at home, but lets not forget they got cuffed 4-0 in Italy just a few weeks ago. Plus, the loss of Bellamy must be a massive blow to them, particular when they're trying to snatch an away goal or two. Just can't see anything other than a home win here guys:b :b :b

Guest Maroon Heaven

Re: wales I cann't believe this. I have just got the Russians at 4/6 in my local bookies. I cannot see the Russian let up at home and couple this with the injuries to the Welsh I see this as a home banker.

Re: Russia v Wales I wouldn't class Wales as minnows really - lest you mean to tell me they were anywhere as bad as Albania, Georgia, San Marino, Faroe Islands, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg and the likes. :b The quality of the players they have certainly does not class them in the league of the typical Minnows anyway(I don't believe San Marino or Albania have ever had a team with the quality of Giggs, Hartson, Jones, Speed, Savage, Delaney, Bellamy and Davies). They're probably more in the mould of the 'nearly-men' - Finland, S&M, Poland and the likes. Though it's probably fair to say they have done themselves incredibly proud this time by having performed at a level that has exceeded expectations by a long shot, I just am not convinced the Russians have what it takes to breeze through this one, not at odds of the 1.40's anyway...:eek To be fair, I don't see how the Swiss result was any testament to Russia's credentials for this upcoming match at all because if the Russians had played at that level throughout the whole qualifying round, there's little doubt they'd have won the group! It is precisely this inconsistency which is putting me off backing Russia at such short odds - prior to the qualification for Euro 2004 commencing, I honestly don't think you'd have seen much difference between Switzerland and Wales. :smokin Nevertheless, for those who are keen enough, I believe Russia are available at something much closer to evens for a -1 handicap.

Guest Maroon Heaven

Re: Russia v Wales The only thing we need to fear in this match is match fixing. Russia have being excellent at home all through the tournament. Their win over Ireland was well deserved.

Re: Russia v Wales Russia for me to I think. They'll certainly win the 1st game - just a question of by how much. If Wales can score then I reckon they'll still have a chance of overturning say something like a 3 - 1 loss back in Cardiff. Robert Earnshaw will be replacing Bellamy and he's very capable of nicking a goal in any game. A 1 - 2 defeat or better from Wales and I think they've got very good chances of progressing.

Guest steve1966

Russia Would love to see Wales get a result here but I just can't see it. Personally I think they've blown their chances. They led their group by half a dozen points at one stage and must be the side under the most pressure. To top that they're missing several of their squad and if that wasn't bad enough will have to endure arctic conditions. One report I listened to said the temperature can drop to -20.c which will surely help the Russians.

Re: Russia Wales chances are about as good as the ROTW's in the up and coming challenge :lol But seriously, with key players out, all i can see in this one is a Russia win, with the slightest possibility of the draw. Wales must of knew when the draw came out that they were probably going to need to win by a couple of goals at home if they were gonna join England in Portugal :hat

Re: Russia

team with the quality of Giggs, Hartson, Jones, Speed, Savage, Delaney, Bellamy
Jones, Delaney and Savage? :rollin Wales are a poor side, like swampster said they have been playign well above themselves and they can now go back to the same level as Northern Ireland IMO. How a defence of Speed, Page, Gabbidon and Delaney has even got this far is embarassing. Russia will destroy them, they will be taken to pieces.

Re: Russia kojic, I'm aware of that(those 3 players missing) - I was mentioning them as part of the Welsh squad which has gotten this far(surely, those 3 have played a massive role in getting them here). Well Matt, it's probably fair to say Wales have played out of their skins so far, but guess you could pretty much say the same for Russia, can't you? I'm not for a moment suggesting Wales have got the remotest chance of winning Euro 2004, but should your memory not fail you, I don't think you'll need to look too far back prior to Euro 2004 qualifiers to see that the Russians are not exactly the classy side you guys are making them out to be(face it, they had an easy group this time - try telling me their group was any tougher than Wales') what with 3-0 scorelines being touted all round. Quite simply, I don't see any value in Russia at all at a paltry 1.44(or thereabouts), but if you do and are convinced beyond the most reasonable of doubts, you could always get the Russians at much better prices on the handicaps. :p Got to admit the weather and the injury crisis mounting on the Welsh camp are obvious advantages to the Russians, but let's not kid ourselves and believe the Russians are gonna walk this one - the bookies can't get this too wrong with this tie being priced as the most tightly-contested tie of the 5 Euro qualifier playoffs. ;) Cheers whatever your picks.

Guest Da Hannanah

Re: Euro 2004 play-offs The Russians are well known bottlers ( :lol ), but having said that, I do believe there will be many goals in this match and that the Russians will get most of them.

Russia got to agree with edtkh, no matter the weather and the welsh injuries, the time that Russia was a class side is definately over... They are far too inconsistent to bet on at the odds given, although it is right that their chances have gone up with the ruling conditions in the Welsh squad. The russians indeed only advanced from the group-phase because of the weakness of the other teams, in my opinion Russia isn't no more then a moderate side in international football these days. The thing I don't understand is that everybody talks about a sure russian victory, while nobody is mentioning the Croatia - Slovenia tie, where the outcome is much more obvious to me and against better odds. Because of the class difference between Croatia and Slovenia, I can't see anything but a homewin here...

Re: Wales minnows?

But Im not having the welsh are minnows - and IMO Savage is a very underrated player.
I watched Savage for 3 years every week, he is a nuisance, his footballing ability is very limited, he does teh chasing and the other midfielders round him have to give the quality. Wales havnt been to a major tournament since 1958, that makes them minnows in my book. I dont hate the Welsh, Ive just got it in for them a bit since one of em turned me down for a shag earlier this summer. :o :o

Guest kojic2003

Re: Russia

face it, they had an easy group this time - try telling me their group was any tougher than Wales'
Russia - Rep.Ireland 4:2 ;) Is Ireland weaker than Wales?

Wales minnows? I cant believe this is what people believe and what short memories people have - was the Eire team in the Italian and American world cups any better than current welsh squad? If anything Wales have far more of an attacking threat than Eire did at that time however I will admit that they are not defensively as solid. I really hope Wales get through and I can see the welsh get a draw with the ruskies suspect temprements and to me they have always been underachievers when considering the quality of players they have had over time. Wales beat Italy at home and lost away, beat Finland away and drew at home, beat the Azers twice and lost twice against S&M - the home game they had to chase the game. Sh!t just checked on Russia's home record fcuk me thats impressive 4-2, 4-1, 4-1 and 3-1. On second thoughts the home win looks most likely outcome. But Im not having the welsh are minnows - and IMO Savage is a very underrated player.

Guest kojic2003

Re: Euro 2004 play-offs Too long discusion about Russia-Wales,but the situation is clear here.There are two matches and Russia has to make advantage in Moscow.Wales is in downtrend period,has a lot of injury problems and home win looks like the only possible sign.Wales hasn't a defense who can stop the excelent Russian players Alexander Mostovoi-Dmitry Alenichev-Yegor Titov!