** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Euro 2004 play-offs

Guest zero79

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WALES Congrats to Wales!!!:D Just watched nearly the whole thing, they have done themselves proud, i for one gave them little or no chance of getting a result, but they have now probably edged themselves as favourites to go through. Hope the people who were giving Wales a chance made themselves a few quid today :)

Wales Fcuking Russian twits! :p Theatrics, unsportsmanlike behaviour, cheats - they've got the lot! Mostovoi would be better off polishing up his English in preparation for his Hollywood career after his retirement given his repertoire of antics on show. :smokin At least, Wales are now a step closer towards Portugal...and yes, those English lower league amateurs Gabbidon, Johnson, Koumas(who had such a terrific game that would put the lot of Russian pros to shame! :lol ) could - look, I said 'could' before some eastern Europeans decide to take offence - play a part in Portugal in the summer afterall... :rollin

Guest Runar K

Re: Spain v Norway I just checked Betfair, and under 2.5 goals is available at 1.97 at the moment, so I had a punt on that. That's very good value in my opinion. Err... it just raised to 1.98 after I placed my bet! Even better value perhaps then. :) Good God, now it's 1.99. My advice is: Go for it! (Or wait to see if the odds increase further, if you dare.)

Russia Look kojic, it's good that you remain optimistic after that classy performance by those amateurs(or was it a pathetic one by some supposedly top-class pros?) - you'd need quite a bottle for that! :lol Truth be told, that was the Russia I'm used to seeing - not the one whose performances have given you a false dawn. ;) Yes, they still need to score(and maybe I could also remind you that should Russia score, their goal(s) would count double in the event of a draw 8o ) but the blatant fact is Wales have a 2-1-1 record at home which isn't exactly too bad a record when pitted against the Russians' 0-2-2 away record(it hardly matters if Bellamy would sit out and Davies remains highly doubtful when you consider Russia could even lose to Georgia and Albania!). :b Great night for British football unquestionably - now, I'm off to watch Turkey(and I could do without another round of debate on the prowess of the Latvian league or Skonto Riga for that matter :lol )...

Guest kojic2003

Re: Russia

and I could do without another round of debate on the prowess of the Latvian league or Skonto Riga for that matter
It seems that you like to give comments when the results come as you expected. :b But I didn't saw your comment after the match Israel-Malta(if I'm not wrong)! :lol ;)

scotland all i can say is YEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSS hes bald hes fat hes goona get the sack hes advocaat sorry had to get it out of my system just wished id had the balls to back my team ah welll well done wales to

Guest Runar K

Re: Spain v Norway This is the team which will be starting the game. It's a 4-5-1 formation: Espen Johnsen - Christer Basma, Claus Lundekvam, Henning Berg, John Arne Riise - Steffen Iversen, Martin Andresen, Trond Andersen, Jan Gunnar Solli, Roar Strand - Tore Andre Flo. That's a strong team, believe me. Solskjær, Bergdølmo and Ronny Johnsen are injured, and Carew is out. Out of these, Ole Gunnar Solskjær is the biggest loss, in my opinion. Ronny Johnsen's absence is also a minus. But the team which will be starting for Norway will be very hungry to show that they can perform, and Tore André Flo up front is very motivated and looking forward to the game. The Spanish first eleven: Iker Casillas - Carles Puyol, Ivan Helguera, Carlos Marchena, Michel Salgado - Ruben Baraja, David Albelda - Joseba Etxeberria, Raul, José Antonio Reyes - Fernando Torres.

Guest peter orchard

Re: Spain v Norway

the young shoulders of Brattbakk
The 33 year old body of Brattbakk will be over the moon to discover his shoulders haven't been around quite so long. :rollin Homework, homework, homework. Jeez, how many times.... Seriously though, I think the Spanish propensity for screwing it up and the Norwegian capability of shutting out everything,(good football inclusive), I reckon it will be both tight and extremely boring.

Re: Russia Oh really? If you remember, I didn't give any comments after Inter-Roma too though I got that spot on...at least I don't go round popping my head round with views on every game(including those which one obviously knows nuts about!). Now, let's see what expert insights you have got for WC 2006 Qualifiers tonight. Oh, and did I just pop the party of someone who spoke about Russia in the mould of world-beaters? :lol

Guest juninho fan

Spain v Norway Thought I'd start a thread on some football analysis rather than an arguement about who was right in their prediction of a match which has alreafy been played. ;) Just for the record, I've had a punt on 1-0 or 2-0 to Spain v Norway (best prices I've found are with Coral @ 6/1 for both) witb a small cover bet on exactly 3 goals at 10/3 (under the Match Specials section wih Coral). By all accounts, this should be a tight match, according to various souces such as RP and Betfair discussions, etc, so I thought this would be the way forward. Any suggetions?

Guest Runar K

Spain v Norway I would be careful placing too much dosh on Spain tonight. Of course they could win, but we'll be defending like hell down there, and the price available just isn't worth it, in my opinion. The best price around as far as I can see for a home win tonight is 1.35 found at NordicBet and Canbet, and I think that's too low. The Norwegian players are really up for this game, make no mistake about it. We almost didn't get this second chance, and now that we've got it, we're adamant to make the most of it. We won our game against Spain in Euro 2000 through a Steffen Iversen header. The game tonight could be very similar to that game.

Guest Runar K

Re: Spain v Norway Juninho fan, didn't see your post before I posted. You're right, correct score could be a better bet in this match. I'm also expecting it to be a tight, low scoring match. Under 2.5 could be a good bet in my opinion.

Re: Spain v Norway Runar, got to admit the game would be tight because as you've said it yourself, the Norwegians would probably go there defending. :rolleyes But I think what matters here is not so much what the Norwegians are doing as much as what the Spaniards would be doing. Given the respective squads(see below), I'm afraid it's no overstatement to suggest Spain are without question, the stronger side. Norway may be up for it, but so are the Spaniards - many sources have suggested that the Spaniards are still pretty bitter about missing out on the automatic spot to Greece and would make good use of this opportunity to put things right. ;) Sadly, I can't see this any other way than a Spanish victory and should the Spaniards want this badly enough, the -1.5 on the handicap certainly looks pretty tempting IMO. :b The absence of Carew and Solskjaer also doesn't help Norway's cause - seems like they'll be piling quite abit of pressure on the young shoulders of Brattbakk(who, in fairness, has impressed quite abit during his European outings with Rosenborg) to deliver. Not sure that will be enough to halt the Spaniards though. :smokin Squads(quoted from Soccernet) : Spain :- Goalkeepers: Iker Casillas (Real Madrid), Santiago Canizares (Valencia) Defenders: Carles Puyol (Barcelona), Ivan Helguera (Real Madrid), Carlos Marchena (Valencia), Michel Salgado (Real Madrid), Raul Bravo (Real Madrid), Cesar (Deportivo Coruna) Midfielders: Joseba Etxeberria (Athletic Bilbao), Joaquin (Real Betis), Juan Carlos Valeron (Deportivo Coruna), Xabi Alonso (Real Sociedad), Ruben Baraja (Valencia), Vicente (Valencia), David Albelda (Valencia), Guti (Real Madrid) Forwards: Raul (Real Madrid), Fernando Torres (Atletico Madrid), Jose Antonio Reyes (Sevilla), Albert Luque (Deportivo Coruna) Norway:- Goalkeepers: Espen Johnsen (Rosenborg), Frode Olsen (Viking) Defenders: Christer Basma (Rosenborg), Henning Berg (Glasgow Rangers), Brede Hangeland (Viking), Ronny Johnsen (Aston Villa), Claus Lundekvam (Southampton) Midfielders/strikers: Trond Andersen (Aalborg), Martin Andersen (Stabaek), Runar Berg (Bodo/Glimt), Harald Martin Brattbakk (Rosenborg), Havard Flo (Sogndal), Tore Andre Flo (Siena), Steffen Iversen (Wolverhampton Wanderers), Frode Johnsen (Rosenborg), John Arne Riise (Liverpool), Jan Gunnar Solli (Rosenborg), Roar Strand (Rosenborg)

Re: Spain v Norway Well, apologies for that Peter. ;) I just think the Spaniards need to perform here more than ever and at their best, they should do it - their propensity to screw it up comes more often in the finals than in the qualifiers itself and I just can't see them missing out on the plane to Portugal. :p Can't imagine them turning it on in freezing temperatures in a couple of days' time if they can't perform at the Mestella tonight. :rolleyes Anyway, does anyone have any clue why isn't Morientes included in the Spanish squad?

Guest peter orchard

Re: Spain v Norway I rather think they're doing the horses for courses thing, edtkh. Playing in Valencia with Valencia footballers and a ground where they're traditionally very successful. We'll see. :D

Guest puchacz2000

Difficult day it was and it would be grossly overstated if I said I made any profits tonight so far :\ (I sincerely love these euphemisms). But I have one bet left for tonight and happen to be quite confident on it. This is called "over 2,5 goals" in Spain-Norway game and the betfair 1,99 price (even if it's gross) is just fantastic. My statistics-biased approach to betting gave me one more reason to stake high on the "over" outcome and that is that all qualifiers ending "under" today so far. It's not very scientific and supported with players' abilities analysis, I know, but this is just my frequent way of viewing things and deriving my tips. And here let me add another vital factor beside the most rightous homework - consistency. I just shared my view and underlying principle and promise not to comment on it later regardless of outcome :) Good Luck Mates and please stop being so sarcastic towards each other - no one ever will be able to claim being 100% spot-on tipster but I do believe everyone can be in the money in the long term in this betting business. Keep it friendly :D

Guest plucey73

Re: Spain v Norway With so many upsets today, I'm pretty confident of one of the favourites winning. I watched Bosnia beat Norway 1-0, and Norway were brutal. So, I'm placing a confident wager on a Spanish win.:hat

Guest juninho fan

Re: Spain v Norway Well, good to see some decent analysis guys. I don't come on here much but when I do, I think it's a great way to share views and opinions, so long as everybody is civil to each other. What a second half we have in store. The early Norway goal has somewhat ruined my plans, as I thought it may be 0-0 or only 1-0 to Spain at HT. The only way of winning now is if there is only 1 more goal to make 3 in total for my cover bet. I think the brave bet on over 2.5 should come off, and could be the value call of the day considering every other popular bet has pretty much lost (Holland, Turkey, Russia, etc). Well done on that one. By the way, did you know that roughly 57% of games finish 3 goals or more, so you've got a point following the stats of the day, although this 57% is over many season's worth of football, so it's not gonna work out every day. Interesting approach though, and one which I may keep an eye out for. Stay cool guys,

Guest peter orchard

Re: Spain v Norway

it will be both tight and extremely boring
reminiscent of something the wife often says to me, it was indeed both tight and extremely boring. The Spaniards had 95% of the ball while the Norwegians had 95% of their own playing area. I guess the return in Oslo next week might be more of an open affair since the Norwegians will have to attack. "Attack" : since I can find no translation of this word in the Norwegian dictionary I think a bet on the Spaniards might be in order! :rollin